Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

george

friend of mine got into Harvard.

Guess studying at FIU wasn't a waste at all.

Lot of acceptances for ivy leagues.

Mar 16, 09 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
never nude

i don't know why, but giant clam i couldn't see your 'yale sandwich' picture until now. it's effing hilarious

Mar 16, 09 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

soo question...did anyone who got into parsons get more than 12k in scholarships?

Mar 16, 09 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
george

i have a friend who got in but all they offered her was 12k.

Mar 16, 09 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
ryan1691

just for fun- (with some broken links, etc)

heres my website WIP

http://ryanlovett.upcycleclothing.com

got into columbia and MIT so far...in LA and no gsd package in the mail, so assuming thats out of the question. either way, Im EXCITED!

Mar 16, 09 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
freezingtimbers

due to the notoriously slow post office in my area I am not giving up GSD hope...Chicago, I cannot wait to leave this city once and for all

Mar 16, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
helvetica

ettubrute, wow no wonder you worked at oma. congrats on the acceptances, you deserve them.

Mar 16, 09 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

I'm with your freezingtimbers. I'm very excited about GSAPP so I don't care too much anymore, but I've seemed to notice that the mail here in Chicago moves a tad bit slower than it did when I lived in LA. We'll see what tomorrow holds.

Mar 16, 09 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Matthew

Into GSD today...

...final tally:

Princeton - In
Yale - In
MIT - In
Harvard - In

No what do I do?

Mar 16, 09 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
watanabe

MFC: sit down somewhere in your room, put an acceptance letter in one of each of the cardinal directions. Then put your hand in your pants cause noone will ever live up to your amazing standards. Start to spin around and see who gets lucky.

In all seriousness, congratulations, that is really incredible!

Mar 16, 09 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
lost in stress

Seriously MFC, very impressive! That is a tough decision... I don't even know what I would do in your position.

Mar 16, 09 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

MFC,

You share the wealth. I'm not picky, I'll let you choose.

Mar 16, 09 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

ooo ooo!...fed ex guy called me just now and told me i got a package from gsd. i will be at work all day (currently in seoul) so can't get see it til tonight but...

it is too early for me to celebrate?? is there a chance that it couldn't be what i hope it to be?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mar 16, 09 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

ettrbute and mfc, are you guys into march 1 or 2? you sure you need more arch. education??? sick!

Mar 16, 09 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

oh. called the fedex guy back and asked if my package was thin or thick, cuz i'm a freak like that. he said it was a 'document' envelope.

:( ah, damn. i jinxed myself for partying too soon.

Mar 16, 09 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

MFC - it's time for a bidding war.

Mar 16, 09 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

i posted earlier that i left out the scholarship form for gsapp and subsequently received no aid. i was advised to send the form immediately and to speak with the financial aid director to figure out "what it will take" for me to attend columbia in the fall...

everyone who received fin. aid from columbia:

has there been a standard need-based grant (15k? 20k?) or is everyone's package different?

i'm 22, mom's dependent, and have 50k in loans from attending tufts. I'm probably qualified for the maximum package, but do not want to request more than the school has been giving out.

thanks.

Mar 16, 09 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
odear

_juut -

based on my knowledge, offers have been different. I know of one person that was offered 8k, another that was offered 11k. I dont know of anything higher than that (though i am sure it exists). I would ask for what you need and see what they come down to. If they really want you to come, they will figure something out if that is what's keeping you from going.

hope that helps

Mar 16, 09 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

_juut -

I know someone who got offered 12k

Mar 16, 09 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

di-c: i wouldnt be discouraged, i've seen some pretty stuffed "document" envelopes ;-)

Mar 16, 09 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
doubleV

Guys..

If I applied for GSD,
am I getting a FEDEx no matter what sometime this week?
I thought I would get a ordinary mail later on if I'm rejected.

· 
ufcmp09

I got offered 12 k for the MSAUD at columbia

· 
miro.m

_juut -

I was offered 9k, but I agree w/ odear, ask for what you need. If they want you, they'll do their best to get you to come.

Mar 16, 09 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
odear

MFC -

just out of curiosity, where did you attend undergraduate and what are you doing now? do you have designs on working in a firm, owning your own, teaching?

is money an issue?

these are obvious questions, but, for example, a place like princeton, with such a small crop of students (and therefore alumni) in comparison to the other institutions, tends to find their stride in academia more than in a full on work environment. most of the princeton grads i know have gone on to teach somewhere, or write, rather than practice (not that it cant be done).

yale and harvard have a higher number of perticipants, and therefore more connections in the workplace it would seem..

i recently worked at a firm dominated by yale grads, and many of them told me that yale is a great place to learn how to become an excellent professional architect(obviously all these places do that to some degree). yale grads it appears from stats that i have read have a pretty excellent ARE pass rate across the board, sometimes noticeably more so (percentage wise) than some of the other top schools.

mit is very research oriented and more about the cross disciplinary and collaborative abilities and affects of architecture. have you always been a straight up designer architect? are you more attracted to the business side of things? are you a theorist more than a pragmatist? i for one was interested in MIT's program having done a major in English Literature before i finished up my architecture degree. it seems they are very willing to collaborate with other fields early and often there.

i am just as curious as you in many cases about the feel of all these schools, but this is what i have gathered from speaking with many alums and students at each of the programs i was considering as well.

hope that helps

Mar 16, 09 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
amnesiac

andimdone,
yeah i did. 12 is still quite good. pratt people on here got 7 or 9 it seems. i think michigan people got 10. unless someone got more and didn't speak up. (those are just the schools i've been scoping out on here)

i just emailed d. leven about advanced placemnet so we'll see how that goes. you gonna be at the open house? have you looked into funding beyond the scholarship yet?

Mar 16, 09 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hey odear, would that be robert a.m. stern? i heard their perks are unmatched at least in ny such as paid 3 week vacation days versus the normal 2. i heard this on my interview with them 2 yrs. ago

Mar 16, 09 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
odear

newport2009 -

actually it was Deborah Berke and Partners, but i have heard similar good things about Stern and friends in terms of perks. D Berke's are not quite that good.

Mar 16, 09 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

oh one of my professors worked there, a fresh yale grad. i think nyc's arch. world is so dang small and can feel incestuous after awhile.

Mar 16, 09 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

or maybe that just means i've been here too long. sorry for the double post :(

Mar 16, 09 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
odear

i hear you newport. the potential advantage of that is that you need only get in good with a couple powerful individuals, and many options become available in the city.

Mar 16, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hey odear, right on. speaking of perks, that's one of the greatest perks of working in this great metropolis :)

Mar 16, 09 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

i meant on the flip side. oops, so sorry for another double.

Mar 16, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
di-c

thin fedex envelopes are just as good as fat ones. GSD just gave me the big thumbs up. (fedex guy came earlier than expected)

HOLY SCHMITZ!

Mar 16, 09 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

congratz,

GSD is whats happenin'

Mar 16, 09 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

yeah, congrats! where to?

Mar 16, 09 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
modernmonk

congrats everyone!

i know it may be a little early, but i have the textbooks and readers for incoming GSD students who are required to take the summer history survey classes. i also have the textbook for the online physics class at berkeley extension. if anyone is interested in buying them, please let me know.

Mar 16, 09 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
doubleV

di-c,
so the thin ones are also 'good' ones?
so if the fedex calls today.. its 'good' no matter what?

Mar 16, 09 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

anyone taking prereq.s in cambridge/boston this summer?

Mar 16, 09 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

anyone going to GSD thing at OMA on april 3?

Mar 16, 09 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

a la grad cafe...how could people be accepted to UT austin tomorrow and post it today?

Mar 16, 09 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

I tried to get student tix a few weeks ago but they were all gone. I don't have the money to pay for regular tickets.

Also, I may be doing prereqs in Boston...any idea where to take calc???

Mar 16, 09 11:47 pm  · 
 · 

i think im doing it at umass boston, the term runs from may 26 to july 10th, and then theres another one if you fail the first

Mar 16, 09 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

a la grad cafe...how could people be accepted to UT austin tomorrow and post it today?

Mar 16, 09 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
meow

does anyone now the class size at MIT? supposedly, I went to the open house in november, they are expanding but I'm not sure how big?

Mar 16, 09 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

Mar 16, 09 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

holy shit. i am sooooo sorry. I do not mean to repost that.

again. sorry. will not happen again.

Mar 16, 09 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
N312

it's already tomorrow on the other side of the world, i'm assuming

Mar 17, 09 12:15 am  · 
 · 
N312

oh, and congrats to all acceptances today. today is definitely a good day for many people =)

Mar 17, 09 12:21 am  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

Ettubrute,

GORGEOUS portfolio, I am so unbelievably jealous of you for working with Rem and BVB. In fact, my goal is to spend a couple years working in the NL after grad school. Although, I hadn't even fathomed a job at either of those firms!

But clearly, you deserved the gig, and all the grad school nods. Good luck with the tough decision!

Mar 17, 09 12:37 am  · 
 · 
import

why are the GSD and Yale open houses a week apart? Can only really afford to go to one...

Mar 17, 09 12:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: