Archinect
anchor

How much to charge for DOB filing and what is needed?

FelixKat

Hi All,

I need advice. I was asked to help with a DOB filing. It is a very simple storefront renovation in Harlem. The owner of the building has already had a violation brought against him for the ceiling because it was left exposed. He is looking for someone to do an RCP for him to file for DOB. I am licensed but am not an expeditor and have never filed with DOB before. I plan on going to visit the site to see how much is needed. I am thinking that it will just be a really simple floor plan, rcp, and cover sheet. But how much should I charge? Is $2000 too much or too little? and what will I need to file? and what is the process like at DOB?

May 13, 13 7:28 pm

Unfortunately I can't help much besides telling you to make sure to visit the site first to see what you really need before setting a price. Odds are you will probably have a detail sheet as well. 

May 13, 13 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

check the website and if you have questions do office hours at the borough bldg dept or call them - you need to do your homework.  I can tell you right now that there's more stuff that you'll need to do. (I won't tell you anything else, you have to do actual work).

May 14, 13 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

In most jurisdictions an RCP is required with the lighting / electrical package.   In NYC when permitting residential alterations an RCP is usually superflous, but for commercial jobs may be necessary.  However you will need to provide a "black iron" detail if building a drop ceiling.  Like Chicago (apparently) NYC does not allow wire for drop ceilings.  Ensure you provide adequate sound-attenuating insulation and fire-proofing in your ceiling detail.  See the 08 code for required fire separation ratings between occupancies.  Usually its 1HR min.  Fire rated 5/8 type X gyp is apparently always required in NYC, even in non-rated assemblies.  To permit a job in NYC you might want to consider doubling your suggested fee at the very least, you'll be amazed how quickly things can snowball.

May 15, 13 12:43 am  · 
 · 

I do think architects can file for a permit in NYC without an expeditor, but you need to get some sort of badge in order to get into the Department of Buildings offices.

No matter how small the job, it always seems like these things get exponentially more complicated once the DOB gets involved. Depending on the scope and on the existing conditions they may call you on something like fire-stopping and require a special inspection by a third party. 

Without knowing the full scope I think 2k is definitely too low. If I were you I wouldn't do it for less than 5k.

You may want to pull an old filing set to see what is required. If it helps, you can email me and I can show you sets i've put together in the past. 

May 15, 13 9:48 am  · 
 · 

This thread - the result of prolonged training and a professional degree? - is an embarrassment.

Your job is to serve the client. You do that by doing what you know how to do (and charging fairly for it) AND by hiring professional consultants (in this case an expediter) to do the things you don't. Assuming you're licensed, of course. Because if not, you're not qualified to submit plans in NYC.

Since you clearly don't have a clue about filing - or apparently even the requirements for filing - I say the best way to serve your client is to recommend that they hire someone who actually knows what the fuck they are doing.

Either that or work for free and consider your education payment for the project. After what you paid to go to architecture school that should seem like a bargain. And at least you won't be overcharging the client.

/rant off

May 15, 13 11:12 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

^ Agreed.  If you've ever been unfortunate enough to visit the NYC DOB, you know why expediters exist and why their rates are so high.

May 17, 13 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: