Archinect
anchor

Name that Architect and Building!!!

cou2

These are pictures that I took. Someone told me the name of the architect but I have forgotten. I'll give some hints if no one can get it. I took some pictures of the inside, but they didn't come out very well. The use of descending arches the around the sanctuary was pretty interesting - it is almost like the arches traced out the path of a bouncing ball. I am trying to recall whether they were catenary arches - not sure.

Apr 10, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

wtf - Some of those pics got cut off. Maybe, I need to resize them??

Apr 10, 08 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yes -- you can reduce them to the necessary 420 pixels by putting width=420 after your URL -- with one space -- and before the final [/img]

Apr 10, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

thanks SDR

Apr 10, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

okay - something went wrong there

Apr 10, 08 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Since the image is about 1 1/2" wide (on my screen) I'd think you typed width=150. But maybe your screen is set to a different dpi ? Hmm. . .

Apr 10, 08 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

I'll try this again -

Apr 10, 08 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Not having much luck re-sizing. I guess the first 4 pics that I posted will have to do. Hopefully it's enough to get the idea - even though they're cut off a bit.

Apr 10, 08 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Oh, they're perfectly adequate.

One thinks naturally of Gunnar Asplund's Stockholm Library.

Are you sure your interior photos are useless ? I'm intrigued. . .

Apr 10, 08 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

I'll have to check them out again - very dark from what I remember.

Apr 11, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

is this in the states by any chance? new england?

Apr 11, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Alfred Caldwell was influenced more by Jens Jensen. Eagle Point Park
Dubueque, Iowa. It is about 40 minutes from Spring Green Wisconsin.

Apr 11, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude
Apr 11, 08 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm attaching this web site for anyone who is interested in Alfred Caldwell and Eagle Point Park. outdoors.webshots.com/album/38397048eCexxn

Apr 11, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Yep, New England. The materail used in the building might be a good indication of the type of setting the building might be found in.

Apr 11, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

is it in nh? on a college campus?

Apr 11, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

phuyaka - you're on the right track. One of the maintenance guys there told me who the architect was. I was told the architect had passed away a while ago. I was interested to see what other projects he had done. Unless he had partners who are still alive and working, I doubt there would be a website for his work.

Apr 11, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Thanks for the great photoset, snook_dude !

Can't get no respect: These two images, with identical captions, appear in respected historian Carl W Condit's "The Chicago School of Architecture" (U Chicago Press, 1964). Caldwell's name is absent.

Apr 11, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
simples

snookdude...great image...very serene and beautiful...love how the stone and wood relate to each other and the site...

cou2...is it a seminary or a chapel at your campus...i am also curious about the interior

Apr 11, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

yeah im stumped, i just spent lunch break browsing nh colleges and nothing came up

Apr 11, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Chapel - but there is a seminary on campus - that should pinpoint it's location pretty good. It's not my school - it's just down the road from my house. I went to the good ol' state university instead - this school quite pricey.

Apr 11, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

amherst?

Apr 11, 08 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Dartmouth?

Apr 11, 08 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

It looks like something Anthony De Castro might have done....in New England.

Apr 11, 08 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

St. Anselms College. I just found out who the architect was. It actually looks like it was two architects. I'm trying to find other works by them now.

Their website has some pics of the interior, though they're not that good.
You can barely see the big arch over the alter and the smaller ones to the side - though I didn't find out who the architects were through their website.

Apr 11, 08 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

man that was tough.... richard koehler + nicholas isaak - st anselm's abbey church, i had to ask a friend who went there which building it was... found a write up on it in a book called New Hampshire architecture, mentions a few other buildings by them but no images, really obscure.. also couldn't find any interior images

Apr 12, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Yep, that's what I got phuyaka. Couldn't really find any pics of their other works. According to that NH Architecture Book it seems like they might have designed one of the old airport terminals at the Manchester, NH Airport - which I have been in - a long time ago.

Apr 12, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

i haven't been in the manchester airport in about 5 years, they just finished a more recent renovation so i don't really remember the older one, i always flew there instead of going into logan to avoid boston traffic.

next, a rather "interesting" addition to a home:

before:

after:

Apr 13, 08 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ewwah. that's quite a yooookstaposition.

Apr 13, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

phuyaka - you from NH? That terminal was the one that was used up until they built the new one in the early 90's (I think). Totally separate building from the one that they just added one. I think they still use that old building, but it might just be offices.

Apr 13, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

from northeastern ma, about 15 min from the border, so from where I live that was almost closer then driving to logan, and you never have to deal with the crowds or traffic.

yeah it's a pretty garish renovation, a little on the sarcastic side, i wonder how you even live there.

Apr 14, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Phuyaka, the building you posted is from Meixner Schlüter Wendt, and it's called wohnhaus Wohlfahrt-Laymann (or something along those lines). Coincidentally, I've recently written a post about the building on my blog: http://archipelagoes.blogspot.com/2008/04/radical-conversion.html

I'm going to search for a nice new addition to this topic, I'll post something within a couple of minutes...

Apr 14, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Apr 14, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

simon ungers, t house

Apr 14, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

usernametaken,

that project's been done before so if you want to post another, feel free.

otherwise...

some structural gymnastics and amazing qualities of light w/ this project.

Apr 14, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

also placed in the stockholm library

Apr 14, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Apr 14, 08 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
simples

ok...just to clarify...the project now being played is holz.box's masonry staggered urban building...not asplund's library competition entry (which was a hint re. the architect and/or location?!) and not architechno's step ladder building...correct?!

so, holz....any more hints...feels like northern europe...scandinavian!?

Apr 15, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

it's british...

he had an entry for the stockholm library that placed.

atp's is chilean, i think. i just saw this recently.

Apr 15, 08 10:52 am  · 
 · 
simples

holz...i had a feeling it was british, but then the parked cars tricked me...plus it reminds me of a building in belgium by "Meta"...

Apr 15, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Stephen Taylor Architects - three small houses

Apr 15, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

oui

Apr 15, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

nice pick, i'm digging the perforated metal screen.

next, a low cost home with a recycled crushed glass facade:

Apr 15, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
simples

phuyaka...is the crushed glass inbedded on concrete!? nice project...couldn't find it anywhere...i can't even get a feel for location from those images...(not US, right?!) maybe, europe, asia or s.america, in that order...

Apr 16, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

yeah from what i can gather the crushed glass is embedded in a 2cm white concrete, which was meant to mimic a much older local tradition of using a quartz-stucco application. (and it was cheaper). The house is retrofit of an existing volume and sandwiched between two other houses in a long narrow lot... so there's no good images of anything but the courtyard... it's south american

Apr 16, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

(buenos aires)

Apr 16, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Adamo Faiden - Reciclaje Casa Chalu - found this one more by luck than anything else

Apr 16, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

good searching... pretty obscure as they don't have too much built work, but their arribenos-3182 project is getting some coverage on teh intraweb

you're up cou2

Apr 16, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

I found that project first and figured it looked like it was designed by the same firm.

Next -

Apr 16, 08 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
simples

[ bump ]

is it in australia?

[ / bump ]

ps. hadn't done the archinect in 5 days...kind of sad i had to bump...even though there seems to be quite a few arch. threads out there...

Apr 21, 08 1:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: