Archinect
anchor

Editor's Picks Archive

her politics come with a touch of 'rationalism.' i will not say no more...

thank you erin, for exposing the political side of all this fun and name calling!

Feb 10, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

it's just me, go back to sleep...

Feb 17, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Guest Editor's Picks #36 - Evil P edition

while you are at it, check out the more musical side of evilplatypus;

deephousepage
chicagohousedj

thanks for doing EP Evil P, and best of luck w/ ARE!

Feb 24, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 

aml's #37

it is out today, and you can only purchase it at archinect!

Mar 2, 08 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

great job tunamelt. stay warm!!

Mar 8, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

oh my god! it is almost three pm and i just woke up from my third installment of sleep.

living in gin, thank you for great picks and maneuvers to go around them.
#39 folks!

Mar 16, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you for your participation.
EP is now 1 year old. With the addition of Nam Henderson as Editor in Chief of Editor's Picks, it will continue to reflect upon Archinect's great discussions, add some humor to our lives whenever possible and tap into the talents and insights of Archinect community without biasing, race, color, gender and political beliefs... Because that is what we are. A group of people with ideas sometimes as colorful as black and white... And beyond...
Thanks again and welcome Nam, in addition to great backgrounds editors such as Quilian, AP, J.B. Mollitt, architechnophilia and everyone else listed below, who has generously contributed so far...

Editors' Picks #1 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #2 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #3 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #4 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #5 Quilian Riano
Editors' Picks #6 Quilian Riano
Editors' Picks #7 Quilian Riano
Editors' Picks #8 Quilian Riano
Editors' Picks #9 AP
Editors' Picks #10 AP
Editors' Picks #11 AP
Editors' Picks #12 AP
Editors' Picks #13 J B Mollitt
Editors' Picks #14 J B Mollitt
Editors' Picks #15 J B Mollitt
Editors' Picks #16 J B Mollitt
Editors' Picks #17 J B Mollitt
Editors' Picks #18 Steven Ward
Editors' Picks #19 liberty bell
Editors' Picks #20 namhenderson
Editors' Picks #21 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #22 jump
Editors' Picks #23 barry lehrman
Editors' Picks #24 Emily Kemper
Editors' Picks #25 Emily Kemper
Editors' Picks #26 holz.box
Editors' Picks #27 vado retro
Editors' Picks #28 Geoff Manaugh
Editors' Picks #29 Heather Ring
Editors' Picks #30 architechnophilia
Editors' Picks #31 mdler & tumbleweed
Editors' Picks #32 sevensixfive
Editors' Picks #33 [beta]
Editors' Picks #34 Erin Williams
Editors' Picks #35 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #36 evilplatypus
Editors' Picks #37 aml
Editors' Picks #38 tunamelt
Editors' Picks #39 Living in Gin
Editors' Picks #40 abracadabra
Editors' Picks #41 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #42 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #43 el jeffe
Editors' Picks #44 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #45 architechnophilia
Editors' Picks #46 namhenderson
Editors' Picks #47 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #48 dread are the controller
Editors' Picks #49 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #50 Orhan Ayyüce
Editors' Picks #51 architechnophilia
Editors' Picks #52 namhenderson
Editors' Picks #53 namhenderson

Jun 23, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

Guest Editor's Picks #58: On the One side and the Other
Thanks to member LB for the great picks this week.

East facade: As a beginning: Sarah Hamilton gets some excellent in-depth advice regarding the seriousness of a first freelance design project on which she is embarking. All interns considering a jump start to to your professional career: a freelance gig is definitely a time-tested way to do it, just be aware that it's not easy.
West facade: Another time-tested tradition? Mentorship: and all you successful architects out there, remember you were once just starting out too, and please give generously (and seriously) of your advice however you can. Our profession only stands to benefit from the sharing of information and the avoidance of mistakes by our peers.
North facade: School is starting soon. Let's talk a bit about the school blogs, or by official name, the Archinect School Blog Project, Bryan Boyer presents the whole of his thesis project: blog, mini-blog (this would be a "duh" moment for most people, but for me it was a sudden realization of how the internet is taking the place of a sketchbook), and presentation. Great job, Bryan! In so many ways the school blog project has been an enormous success. The amazing Michael Speaks, when presenting to a group of students, logged the Power Point presentation onto the school blog project, telling these eager future architects that this was the sine qua non place to find information on what architecture school would be like. The blogs also allow professionals to keep an eye on what is happening in academia, not only via lectures, but from in-the-trenches reporting. And what practitioner doesn't love being reminded of those crazy studio nights and awful crits?
South facade: A possible counterpoint to the school blog success story? Some people are graduating, and readers want new ones! To help fulfill that need, keep in mind the unofficial version(s) of school blogs. Any new ones being allowed for this year, Archinect?
The foundation: And this week, how can I ignore the elephant in the room: of course I'm talking about the Olympic Games and the attendant spike in architectural experimentation that has gone along with these games in particular. It feels to me as if we in the architecture community have been talking about them for far longer than anyone else. This is a reminder that architecture takes time; that the projects we begin master planning with starry eyes one day can take years of painful committee meetings, budget cuts, and construction snafus to realize. But in the end, good architects make it look easy.
The roof: Small works, big impact. The simple idea well-realized can change the world, and only has to start with someone being bold, and then following through. Don't forget: you've gotta nail the dismount.

Aug 10, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

so with the return of the editor's pick in fine force does it mean we'll see less of the Ed-Op? I hope not...I was just really getting into it. Or will see them popping up the same week? A schedule? So many possibilities who has the answer?

Aug 11, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Guest Editor Picks # 59: A Late August Archinect Mixtape

side a

track 1: stellar vernacular:

whenever something exceptional appears, it's always tempting to wonder from where it came. scott burnham thinks about this, apparently, and his nice little piece about potential vernacular sources for h&dm's bird's nest is pretty good piece of speculation. even if it's not true that the forms were borrowed in a conscious way, it’s fun to imagine that there was something in the air (besides smog) that jacques, pierre, and ali may have absorbed: who's zoomin who?

track 2: looks like....

snohetta's proposal for the rak gateway in the uae makes me think that they've decided that blobbiness is a middle eastern vernacular they must mimic. is the need to ‘fit in’ no longer just a euphemism for borrowing historic forms? why else would they betray their strength in making rigorous, clean, angular, and cool forms and glom onto the dubai'tgeist? it's not like they weren't getting attention before. (see the cover of this month's arch record.)

track 3: hormel sweet home:

foggo associates tries to simultaneously put themselves on the map while taking some misguided clues about context from foster's gherkin. if only it were taller we could say it looks like the box the gherkin came in, but in this short stubby iteration....i got nothin.

track 4: defending the jackass:

i have to say that i love archinect because i can join in on conversations like this one. it's fun, harmless, but also allows us to feel out territory, to figure out how we feel about things, and allow our own personal values to evolve via discussion.

track 5: interlude:

if i have any criticism of the projects above, it's that they're so visually noisy, flashy, and in need of attention. i stand by my manifesto submitted to metamechanic's competition back in ‘06: shhhhhh.

Toward a quiet architecture.

Modern architecture has often privileged the programmatic object-figure over considerations for continuity of the environment-field. The field remains unconsidered, underdeveloped, or ancillary to the disengaged and attention-grabbing object-figure.

In contrast, pre-modern urban forms evolved with a normative environment-field as the primary condition of urban engagement and cohesiveness which, once established, could then accommodate complementary incidental figures.

Architects’ desire for recognition has prompted us to take every opportunity to draw attention to our projects, thereby continually adding to the visual clamor and chaos that defines the contemporary cityscape.

Why can’t we just be quiet for a change?

side b

track 6: homonymous:

ok, ok, despite that, there is a good argument for recognizable buildings: somebody should have noticed this.

track 7: does he do windows?:

to make your art, sometimes you gotta make something, sometimes you gotta wash it away.

track 8: book’em:

i’m very excited about the release of this monster. whether or not you think yale sux ( < would have linked it, but it’s gone), perspecta is always a treat.

track 9: big box medley:

if i didn't know better, i'd think that someone was trying to dress up big boxes to make them more sexy. i mean, walmart puts on a shiny hat and ikea's working on building its street cred by insinuating itself into the red hook community of brooklyn. of course, some retailers have been targeting designers for quite a while already. what's next: adjaye-designed leed platinum garden sheds by kmart?

track 10: diversions:

_urb_ lets us know what’s up in china, including some sporting event or something. oobject finds fun things that you might not know exist. visual complexity = eye candy. and, since i’m the son of a surveyor and a closet (not-really-)historian, i’ve become a strange maps junkie.

bonus tracks: flickr streams i've been loving lately:

arndalarm, bochum

sevensixfive, baltimore

crowbert, chicago

lavardera, merchantville

kenmccown, l.a.

ubiquity_zh, zurich

o d b, beijing

ony one, brussels

Aug 17, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

namh,
would you say that the RAK proposal is blobby?

i think there is a strong connection to the local topography...

another good flickr feed is evan.chakroff

Aug 17, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

it was me that said it was blobby, holz. and, yeah, you know, there are some variations on the normal exoskeleton theme but it's still the slick shell of homogenous material that i associate with blobbiness.

i get the desert metaphor, but they might have put the same building in the arctic and claimed an ice metaphor or surrounded by water and claimed a water metaphor.

what bugs me is more that it's snohetta, a firm who i've enjoyed so much, doing something that just seems to have a first impression of derivative-ness.

Aug 17, 08 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven: excellent as always, you set the bar just a bit higher than everyone else...such a great wrap-up! I had missed a lot of it, and love the flickr links!

Aug 17, 08 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

thanks, lb, but i just sorta treated it REALLY like making mix, so the format seemed obvious.

nam had said i could do an editorial, but i didn't have it in me. since i don't really hold back my thoughts during the week, there's really not much i haven't already said by the time sunday rolls around.

Aug 18, 08 7:05 am  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #70 Images Only...

News

Link

Link

Link

Link

Discussions

Link

Link

School Blogs

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Features

Link

Link

Sep 15, 08 12:40 am  · 
 · 

Guest Editor's Picks #72

This week’s recap of the activity in the discussions: thanks to LIG:

The annual M.Arch. admissions rat race is beginning to heat up. Dr. Architecture has posted a thread with the dates of upcoming graduate open houses, and the 2009 M.Arch. Comisery thread continues to chug along.

Who has it worse: architecture students, or engineering, medical, or law students? Omkar Deshmukh and others weigh in.

Other topics of discussion range from life-changing books to Kraftwerk to H&deM’s proposed tower in Tribeca to whether Columbia University’s GSAPP is still cutting-edge or not.

In other news, baseball is back, and we’re wondering if Chicago just might be in store for a subway series this year. Don’t hold your breath.

With presidential elections underway and Wall Street in a full meltdown, political threads are inevitable. Brut encourages us to vote Obama, while others wonder WTF is up with Sarah Palin???

Throughout it all, the Thread Central crowd, now on page 240, discusses walkable suburbs, weekend plans, Oktoberfest, and ice cream.

Sep 22, 08 8:10 am  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks # 73: Pairings

Diller Scofidio + Renfro have a new Website and Elizabeth Diller discusses "Productive Nihilism" and Architecture as/of special effects.

Bruce Sterling's wisdom and wit are noted twice in a week here and here.

GSAPP's "Solid States: Changing Time for Concrete" occured last week and one of our own posted images from an installation he helped create.

Massimiliano Fuksas wants to be schooled in the new revolution(s) and TC
wonders where have the new ideas gone? Some responses here

Two requests for research assistance here and here

Thanks to the ongoing credit crunch and a other budgetary problems at least one of London 2012s stadia is going flatpack

Some images after the jump...

Oct 19, 08 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #75: We're back...

News
Gehry goes home and almost looses the curves, except for that beautiful staircase.
He wanted to be an architect!!!,
They obviously didn't ask any architects.
Is there anything architects can't solve?

Discussions
Tactical or not?
Inspired by news of the new Obama administrations' proposal for an Office of Urban Policy Archinect discussed possible priorities. Relatedly, will architects now play a bigger role and have more of an impact?
Travel suggestions anyone?

Continued after the jump....

School Blogs
After a recent discussion on TC about the lack of lecture reviewing going on, especially for the Midwest, school bloggers went on a tear reviewing some great lectures by Gregg Pasquarelli of SHoP, and Steve Badanes,
Stan Allen,
Philip Beesley and finally Scott Johnson.

We also learned Erica can sleep anywhere.

And Krissy at University of Nebraska-Lincoln shared soem likes and dislikes.

Recent images from the Gallery

Nov 16, 08 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #76: Images Only

Click through to view...

Features

Discover

News

Discover

Discussions

Discover

Discover

School Blogs

Discover

Discover

Discover

Discover

Image Gallery

Discover

Nov 24, 08 8:41 am  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #77: A Quiet week?

News
An airport with a bridge. Really?
All in the family.
One of the greats.
Anyone able to find any footage on Youtube? besides this
one
Continued after the jump...

Discussions
Remember it is anonymous!
A thread topic, reborn.

Image Gallery

Dec 1, 08 12:06 am  · 
 · 

Guest Editor Picks # 79

"The mightylittle Edition"

The big news on the interwebz this week: New Hatch Series Archinect T-Shirts have arrived.

Elsewhere in the forum:

DI Rankings for Arch Schools are causing the usual rumblings from those who find that interesting.

The Economic Crisis is on everyone's mind. At press time there was no less than five threads on layoffs and employment concerns. Get your job (or lack thereof) fix here:

Twas' the Night Before Layoffs...

Underemployed.

For the unemployed...

Layoffs, layoffs, layoffs...

and...

Who's First on the Firing Line?

It's not all doom and gloom out there however. There's always Bacon.

In the News department I found a few items of interest that might otherwise get lost in the shuffle:

Amish folks getting in trouble with the Building Departments? I recently watched The Devil's Playground which was fascinating so this one certainly caught my eye.

I also happened to catch the NPR broadcast about Tyson's Corner, Virginia, so this was also one that I though was worth following. King of Prussia? Costa Mesa? Pay attention: Edge Cities getting the remodel.

Tyson's Corner, Virginia

We've seen some threads in the forum about graffiti, but this Spiegel piece linked from Orhan's comment in news set off an interesting series of comments. Was graffiti pwned by Madison Ave.?

Just don't start watching Style Wars unless you've got a bit of free time...

New York magazine put out its Top Ten Designs of 2008. My favorite seems to jive with namhenderson's as well...I like anything called a digester egg

Polshek Partnership's Newtown Creek Waste Water Treatment Plant.

That reminds me of this little bit of old New York magazine news which I think bears repeating: New Works Project for America coming with the Obama admin? We can only hope. Either way, it's a great little op-ed about big ideas and big projects.

Dec 15, 08 8:21 am  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks # 80

Well it is almost time to ring in the New Year. What will you be doing? Here are some thoughts on what the year ahead holds.

Does this mean no more dams?

Capitalism critiqued, Japanese style?

Old thread discovered Who doesn't like subjective lists?

Suggestions for Kyoto archi-tourism?

Typical Archinect humor..

Dec 28, 08 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Pick # 81

News
Point and counterpoint? Is sustainability the newest fad or is it really the new degree zero? How about weatherization?

Urban cannibalization?

School Blogs
Infrastructure as political will?

Tijuana Brutalism; The Border Panopticon

Discussions
A question on "green" demolition? One possibility method

Who or what is more popular?

Fiber City!

Instant Archinect classic?

Images

Discover

Discover

Discover

Jan 4, 09 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #82
News
Hopefully, whichever firm they pick for this will produce a more thoughtful, sensitive and inspiring building than this one. Another option would be to just keep the old one.

How many have you seen?

Can we throw away the key?

Architects, creators of format(s) not media.

School Blogs
Shipping container mosques?

Sustainability; Aesthetics over Effect?

Discussions
Mightylittle thanks Paul for a new "research" tool

"Its not minimalism, its deduction and consolidation"

"free will architecture soon near you"

Images

Discover

Discover

Jan 12, 09 12:23 am  · 
 · 

Editor's Pick's # 85

News
Is this further proof of the death of the Icon?

The desire to preserve Modernism vs Modernism as an ongoing project Read
A precursor to a Pritzker win?

Think they still have the full $1.2 billion to complete the rest of the project?

So no Pro Bono? A somewhat differing opinion?

Discussions
Yes, but only if the the emergence of transparency equals death?

It was ravaged here but at least it is now physically safe.

How did I miss this recent but classic thread?

School Blogs
A reaction to the informal settlements of Manila.

An abandoned building and graffiti in Richmond Indiana.

And a conceptual
proposal for a new elevated green parkway in Shangai that also functions as water treatment infrastrcture.

Images

Feb 2, 09 11:52 am  · 
 · 

Editor's Pick's # 86

News

A meme catching on? More architectural geomimicry. Related.

A little bit of Korea in Vermont?

Still not showing her age.

Art should be useless. Really?

Discussions
Fair use anyone?

Dubai, first-hand

School Blogs
Is architectural work outsourced, often?

A tour of a Rudolph and some transformers.

Discover.

Images

Feb 9, 09 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Guest Editor's Pick's # 87

First a shout out to guest editor Dreader than dread

TVCC on fire!

Buildings are getting cut in half, moved around, and are having slums built inside of them.

Didn't they see this coming?

What is the future of Los Angeles infrastructure?

Cancel student loan debt?

And lastly, I'm glad to see that this thread is still alive.

Feb 17, 09 8:37 am  · 
 · 

Guest Editor's Pick's # 88: Mightylittle™ Redux

Number one on my list of things happening in your world is this: Hammer Pants are Back. Not because i want to bust out my old Z.Cavaricci's, but because the link EP put up there takes you to a great video from 60 minutes with Wyclef Jean. Now that's worth checking out even if drop-crotch silk drawers aren't your thing.

Layoffs...Layoffs, and still more...Where will it end? This thread is 5 months old and has nearly a thousand posts. Trying times indeed, and what of them? These trying times that is? Confidence is still high for the new prez, but there's clearly quite a bit of doubt over how well, and how fast, this new stimulus package will work. I'm not seeing the benefits add up all that much just yet, but I will say that a few clients who lost funding 4 months ago are back in Benjamins as we speak. Must be a good sign.

Another good sign: Even after shooting himself in the foot, Hasselhoff got a jay-oh-bee.

What else is going on in our world: Here's a splashy opening, Armani in NYC, by Fuksas. (h/t to PP)

Here's the latest from SpaceInvading:

ºººººººººº
Treehugger on what is a zero carbon home.

Small House Movement gaining some traction.

Maybe instead of small houses, or even houses at all, what we need these days are more play structures.
from Designer Pages

ºººººººººº
And then: Spray Painted Chocolate Boxes? How about Basil Cube? Sure, why not. Enfant terrible, Laurent Gras, from L2.0 in Chicagoland.

ºººººººº
I'm going to give some personal shout-outs to San Francisco City Supervisor Tom Ammiano for this one. It's about time people got pragmatic about cognitive liberty, even if at the end of the day it's still about the greenbacks. Since I personally know some people who have been getting paid with California State Issued I.O.U.'s, we'll take all the state income and revenue we can get.

Amsterdam meets the pacific? Bring it on!

Have a good week, people...

Mightylittle

Feb 23, 09 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Pick's # 89

News

Double FOG, Once and twice.

At least it is "techincally" legal.

Who doesn't love some Brutality?.

And why not?.

Discussions
Any advice for a would be furniture maker ?

"We as architects are very comfee with using the gaussian UV mapping of curvy form/diagram in correlation with so call "future" urban force."

"Don't tell anybody, but reenactment can be such a circus."

And of course "don't forget the dirt floors" !

School Blogs
An introductory teaser.

What would you do with $5,000 to present your most recent design project?

It's basically the shodan house on steroids

Images

And to end with something from Spacesaving

Compiled with assistance from Peridotbritches

Mar 2, 09 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks # 90

News

Two sides of the same coin? Maybe this will help? Or not.

Is it Art, pornography or both?

For your health? Discuss.

Discussions
We discuss Haruki Murakami along with the reactions of the Turkish Prime Minister.

Barry asks, Bushvilles?

A couple of good ones; Stargineers, some updated competition news from Atlanta and
Torsion.

A roundup of some of the usual.... here, here, and here.

School Blogs
Brendan is planning to travel this summer to Buenos Aires.

We also found out about Smash Hits Good Times and a vaudeville party.

Sorry for the f-bombs!!!

Images

Mar 9, 09 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Pick's # 91

Any ideas?

News
Also arrivederci?
Made from brick but not a brick.

Toshiko Mori to Buffalo.

Can we just change our tax code? Or should we be sticklers?

Spite Houses ?

Want to buy something?

Discussions
Somebody else?
For breakfast, dinner and desert, MMMMmmm.

Phuyaké, shares some knowledge on a thread about sustainable, local and temporary, contemporary New Orleans architecture.

Thanks to fuzzydunlop I discover Todd Hido.

School Blogs
A newbie? If so welcome. Stop by TC sometime.

Pro Bono but for family.

Images

From the gallery

From elsewhere

Discover

Mar 16, 09 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

Guest Editor's Picks # 100

First, we are now a centenarian!
Also, a shout-out to toasteroven for this week's picks.

News
Robert Stern’s enlightened view of women in architecture.

On paradox.

Legos appear once and then twice.

Continued after jump....

School Blogs
Critical Activism!!!

I have been thinking about monks?

A not so sneak peek, here.

Discussions
What is the point in modeling?

Images

Info here

Two styles of loft..

here

and here

From outside Archinect

All things Detroit (the eternal posterchild for whatever ills the USA)

A breath of Hope.

Best buyer’s market in the country.

Assorted...
Ever wanted to do chalk drawings in the middle of the street?

Next hipster fashion statement cop pants.

Something to watch...
Prof. Robert Sapolsky on the Neurobiology of Primate Sexuality
Part 1 and Part 2

Mar 24, 09 12:22 am  · 
 · 

Guest Editor's Picks # 101
Big events and stuff...

News
Some cheerful news of the future.

Not even in THE CITY?

While some release their second edition, other's go into the digital.

Jelly!

Will it effect the pockets of developers?

Discussions
Did we all make out OK?

Continued after jump....

School Blogs
Welcome to our second PhD blogger!

Emily was a Postopolis panel member!!

A feast at an izakaya!!!

Elsewhere
Some say, "Right now we need a Cambrian explosion, not controlled evolution".

Other give us a tour of stars...

Events
Some interesting bits from Postopolis and The GSD Ecological Urbanism-conference(s) coverage with help from Archinect school-bloggers et al.

Quilian informs us that Homi Bhaba is interested in "informal intelligence" and that Koolhaas wants to rewire Europe.
Read

Postopolis tweets that an installation by Christian Moeller sounds like "a cathedral made entirely of bell towers sinking slowly into quicksand. At night." Read full tweet stream

While at GSD Ecological Urbanism, Dan Handel relates that, "Andrea Branzi was challenged by Matthias Schuler, an environmentalist himself, whether humanity should not prioritize, at this stage, survival over aesthetics. Branzi's simple "no" contrasted the progressive positive world view, characterizing much of sustainable thinking, with utter negation of both technology and rationality as means of improving human condition..."
Read

Images

Capilla para el Tio - interior

Also

and Collaboration, N-Natures

Apr 6, 09 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks: # 102

News
First, the elephant in the room. Pretty pics here
Symmetry between Orhan and I.

Don't be a render " monkey"?
Continued after jump...

Discussions

As 765 said, is this really news?

Yeah, Organic!

Never seen it.

Also I discovered "The Concept of Ma", while reading Recombinant Urbanism.
Late to the game I guess?

School Blogs

What does Susan like?
Some simple truths.

Taking it to people

Apr 13, 09 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks: # 103

One of the great British New Wave authors passes. Share your thoughts.
Rats in studio !!!
Outed gives some wonderful advice to those about to graduate.
Urban scale greenwashing? Finally anyone for a PICNIC ?

Apr 21, 09 12:12 am  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks: # 104

Welcome to the Apocalypse, H1N1?
Javier coins the term, "spatial bikeology".
One of our own makes it to Washington and blogs about the team's project.
Kirk announces the return of the Cult of MANIFESTO, along with booze.
A Defense of the oppressed??
Local crack.
Image after jump...

Apr 28, 09 12:23 am  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #105

Something wrong with the ordinary and mundane?
Vancouver sounds nice, eh?
A ghostly metaphor here and here.

Processing sound.
Kurt asks what colour would Denise Scott Brown be?
Archinect discusses Green machines and rebuilt bikes. What do you use?

May 4, 09 11:06 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #106

Which one would you rather live in? This or that.
Would she be segregated in her own building?

Stable(izing) Brooklyn.
Informal architecture(s) of post-colonial Miami..
From heaven or hell?

Utako is unhappy with his box.
Halifax isn't pretentious...

May 12, 09 9:36 am  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #107

Now, that is a waiting room!!
Transportation is political.

AMO does OMA and examines the afterlife of production. A readers reaction. Public/Private the reality.

Three alliterative record stores so far. Any more?

May 18, 09 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #108

Something different coming soon.

Better than nothing? I am not so sure.
What is this thread lacking?
Robots are now posting to the school blogs.

Now he is also a Prince.

Image after the jump...

May 25, 09 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

Guest Editor's Picks #109

In my fair city, it is the best of times and the worst of times. while in fact, the whole world might be hurting a little bit on the heels of a GM bankruptcy. If all else fails, we here in the Motor City, at least may be able to fall back on our agrarian roots.

But in such chaotic times, it's often the simple things that we take comfort in. In my own architectural bubble, I debate whether a new building system can shave a few dollars off my budget, but when it comes down to it, I know the client will only want to make sure his ceilings are high enough.

In Louisville, such design contradictions are what make makes life sweet and gives our lives as designers a glimmer of hope for a better outcome.

And if all else fails, we can take solace in the church whether we are good Christian soldiers or just lovers of good design.

Thanks to jafidler

Jun 1, 09 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #109

Is this POMO or just contextual sensitivity?
Albert at BAC shares some sweet red, white and blue site analysis/diagrams.

Kirk Wooller starts a thread compiling a list of Free Lectures For All!

chupacabra wins, best comment of the week award, at 06/05/09 14:53 on this thread.
No one has anything?
Thoughts on human behavior, sexual expression and whatever connections it makes to architecture.

Jun 8, 09 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

Editor's Picks #110

The newly re-opened High Line was covered extensively this last week. Including here, here, and here.

The economy continues to effect the profession even amongst the greats. While some get smaller others get the boot.

End of the day it is still a prison.

Archinect's view from the ground in Iran along with a discussion re: implications of recent political events.

We get an update on the status of episode 12 of Archinect Travels.

In his first post Joe from Clemson University's discusses the frozen quality of glue.

Evan travels to Art Basel and finds a Stryfoam Virgin Mary?

Jun 23, 09 9:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: