Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

asbuckeye07

ff33, im here...just not much to report...still waiting for my remaining two thin letters from yale and gsd...trying to keep my mind off it. waiting for the '09 version of this thread

Mar 20, 08 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

congrats and see you guys in Ithaca, its getting kinda muddy with everything melting... puffy white snow is gone :(

Mar 20, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

also, who cares about being rejected when there's march madness!

Mar 20, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

guys, it's over. UPenn acceptance in the mail today. thanks for all the help!

final roundup

Columbia – accepted
Cornell – accepted
UVa – accepted
UPenn - accepted
Washington University, St. Louis – accepted
UTexas – accepted
UMich – accepted
Virginia Tech – accepted
NCSTATE – accepted
UFlorida – accepted
Clemson – accepted

Boom!

Mar 20, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Nice job smith! Are you going to the U. Penn openhouse?? Do you have any idea which school you're going to pick yet??

Mar 20, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

<--- jealous like what!

· 
stelina

are we posting roundups to publicly boost some fevered egos? :)

· 
BabbleBeautiful

you obviously did something right/got talent

Mar 20, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

afrdzak, oh, uh, well, i wrote it using the archinect form email, so i don't think it saves anywhere. maybe bristow can forward it to you? ... i could always write it again, perhaps more coherent this time around...

also, if you have specific questions, feel free to email me. i don't know all that much about grad stuff but i was a pretty active undergrad at Cornell and in the Ithaca community. I ended up living in town for nearly 7 years. Ithaca might not be the right place for a lot of people, but it stole my heart. And then I moved to sunny California! Yeah for sunshine!

Mar 20, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

smithwillb - Congrats...how much did it cost you to apply to all those schools?

Mar 20, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

wowwwww smith thats damn impressive. Congrats!

Mar 20, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

stelina - of course this is an ego boost. and a public one at that.

archca26 - almost nothing. most of them paid for my application fee.

AV - probably not. UPenn is now out of the equation. can't do that summer program, plus the financial aid was lackluster.

Mar 20, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

go to the Columbia Summer program. that's what i did...with no arch background, it definitely helped me...it's like bootcamp for grad school applications....and it made a lot of people cry.

Mar 20, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

wait, is your name really will smith?

Mar 20, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

yep. i doubt yours is DJ Tanner, though that would be excellent.

Mar 20, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

that's probably why i got in; they thought i was a black actor.

Mar 20, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

My stats:

Oxford - rejected
Sorbonne. -waitlisted
Columbia - withdrew application ( does not look rigorous enough for me)
Harvard (safety)- rejected (personal rejection form Toshiko Mori)
Devry - waiting on transcript, but looks promising
University of Alabama - rejected
Baghdad University-waiting to hear back

Mar 20, 08 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

it seems like these m.arch schools are really lacking black students. maybe affirmative action includes international students.

Mar 20, 08 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

hmmm ... crying, you say? I'm intrigued.

Mar 20, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

trails of tears all over Avery

Mar 20, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Columbia is a little far from San Diego. The nearest thing is UCLA's program, but I would have to take 6 weeks off work...

Mar 20, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

Will smith....i mean smithwillb,

your portfolio must be amazing! would you mind sharing it with us?

Mar 20, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Will Smith is right, a summer program is a great way to get in ,I have heard this form numerous ppl.

Also, how come i didn't get any condolences for my stats list ^ :-(

Mar 20, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

having that name could either be the most annoying thing ever, or the greatest conversation starter.

Mar 20, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

ff33 I think your list beats smithwillb. Everyone knows Columbia is childsplay and at least you got a call from Toshiko...more than most of us can say!!

Who goes the U of Florida or NC state anyways!! Its ivy league or nothing around here

Mar 20, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

yeah that was crazy..I saw the call from617 area code that day and I was so nervous, Toshiko was like." You suck, don't apply here and waste my admissions board's time."

..I was all like "You have the wrong number lady!"

Mar 20, 08 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

I didnt even answer the 617 number. I let that go to voicemail. I dont have time for Harvard right now I'll call em back when im done with this master planning project.

Mar 20, 08 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

Waitlisted at Pratt :( Shit.

What are the chances of space becoming available?

Mar 20, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

chopsky-If I get into Berkeley you can have my spot...are you post-professional?

Mar 20, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

chopsky. they sent you an email?

Mar 20, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

YbTH, yeh...
archca, nah, I'm M.Arch 1 :-/ ... but thank you

Mar 20, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Wow, UPenn acceptance in the mail plus a 20k Chair's Merit Scholarship on top of 5k financial aid. Exciting stuff.

Mar 20, 08 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

dude, i heard if you take teh schools summer program while waitlisted you can snake a spot when one of the applicants ultimately flakes out or defers...I dunno if Pratt has a summer deal...but..you might be able to work this further..especially if you have little else to do

Mar 20, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

afrdzak: E-mail for accepted students.. I don't know how they rejected people....

Mar 20, 08 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

I'm an international student so I won't be able to get a student visa unless I'm registered for a full-time program. a summer program won't suffice :/

Mar 20, 08 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

people wont accept Im sure.

ff33 - you got nachos?! Damn, im not even hungry and im a little jealous

Screw grad school...its all about nachos

Mar 20, 08 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

shiiiiiiiiiit I really wanted Pratt.
time to retrace this thread, see who got in, find them and kill them.
it's gonna be a bloodbath I tell you.

Mar 20, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Yes, I have nachos...and I am watching horror movies while modeling an office bldg in Revit. I have not done enough work today becasue i was on posting on here all day ...so my client may fire me and i will probably be broke soon, not allowing me to afford the deposit for grad school....but I DO have nachos...which is sweet.

Mar 20, 08 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

glad i didn't apply to pratt!

:nachos

Mar 20, 08 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Probably worth it really. Freelancing sounds amazing right now...

Mar 20, 08 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
ryhane

I was rejected by UPenn today. Pretty bummed. :(

Mar 20, 08 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

i love nachos.

especially the ones covered in late surprise mit acceptance

Mar 20, 08 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

I prefer my nachos lightly covered with a Pratt acceptance, with a berkeley acceptance over that and some Harvard acceptance topping it all off! Hold the UCLA acceptance, bastards

Mar 20, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

for sci arc heads....

I may be reading too much into this but. ..i sent one of my annoying emails to JJ at sci arc, asking about some random thing .....trying to get clues out of them..

.he said they will "hopefully have decisions announced very shortly"...maybe we won't have to wait two more weeks!?

Mar 20, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
GinaGage

I just called Berkeley (Architecture) - They said that admissions emails should be sent out tomorrow AND Monday. After those initial emails, the remaining applicants will be reviewed and those decisions should be sent by the end of next week.

Mar 20, 08 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

And it starts...

Mar 20, 08 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

JJ,
...You want some nachos?

Mar 20, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

Damn, tomorrow is gonna be a shitshow on this thread. Good luck to all the berkleyites out there and may the best man/woman win!

Mar 20, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

anvi: i see, well I can take a guess what my response is from Cornell then.

Mar 20, 08 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

fyi - If you go to any arch school in LA you will find it extremely rewarding, the lecture series between the three schools allows for some really good stuff to be seen / heard.

second, rip - stop calling people clowns and maybe you will get along with your classmates.

nachos sound good, especially with a nice cold beer and some basketball. hope everyone is doing well.

Mar 20, 08 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: