Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

stelina

DJ Tanner - what do you mean? no, I won't miss him.

Mar 21, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

stelina, i think i am going too. Yeah, Ban is on Friday and New York is Monday

Mar 21, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

I saw a message in my inbox just now, and I almost had a heart attack thinking it was berkeley...

Just junk mail. Dammit.

Mar 21, 08 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

diet - yes, so it will be spending friday at GSD for the open house, swinging over to NYC over the weekend and attending the reception... what a life :)

Mar 21, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

see you there:)

Mar 21, 08 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
IlliniRunner

Oh man, people are hearing from Berkeley?

Ugh, nothing here yet. :(

Soooo nervous, I'm going to be worrying about this all weekend.

Mar 21, 08 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
IlliniRunner

Ok, I couldn't stand it, called Berkeley to ask them when they were going to send out decisions. Sounds like they aren't going to do it until Tuesday or Wednesday.

snarkitekt must have good contacts there already.

Mar 21, 08 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

nope, no contacts at all i'm afraid. illi, are you option 2? maybe they're going by degree program.

Mar 21, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

this might help

response to an email inquiry to berkeley

"The final review process is currently taking place and is scheduled to be completed this week. I understand that you are eagerly awaiting the decision and I will be e-mailing you the recommended departmental admission decision no later then the last week of March. The official admission decision letter from the University will be sent shortly following."

god, i've never wanted anything else so badly...

Mar 21, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

AV and Jazz,

I also got a similar email from Sci-Arc about financial aid. Hmmm...

Mar 21, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Anyone apply for Sci-arc and financial aid there and not get an email today asking for copies of your taxes and ss card/ID?

Mar 21, 08 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

this M.Arch I applicant has a BA Economics and Asia/Pacific studies.

other than my austin rejection -- nothing!

im already putting together a couple of things for next year's portfolio.

question for other M.Arch I applicants -- did anyone else try to focus on skills other than visual/graphic arts?

carpentry, metalsmithing, sculpture, etc? form-making?

i included drawings and photography, along with some of the above. the portfolios i have seen on archinect generally are from from BArch / BFA type folks, with top notch drawings and renderings. did you all focus on the same?

Mar 21, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

mrbren...i have a BA Arch but my porfolio included drawings, paintings, photography, glassblowing, woodworking, etc. on top of architecture stuff.

Mar 21, 08 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
IlliniRunner

snarkitekt,

I'm applying to the Track 3 program (non-architecture undergrad degree).

My status:

MIT - no news
Ga Tech - In, financial aide offer
WashU - In
UCLA - out
Berkley - ?

Mar 21, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

ottodesk and quiksilver,

Similar situation to you guys, still weighing my options but MIT is probably my top pick right now, and getting AP might seal it. I'm up in Oregon and I’ll definitely be going to the open house (although my schedule might force me to cut out a bit early) but I’d love to hear your impressions regarding the program, I'll message you guys after I get a first-hand look if you’re interested.

Mar 21, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
IlliniRunner

Let me update my list:

MIT - no news
Ga Tech - In, financial aide offer
WashU - In, no financial aide offer yet
UCLA - out
Berkley - In

Mar 21, 08 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

uh oh, start checking your emails!

UC Berkeley - in!

Mar 21, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

did you two really just get emails from berkeley in the last couple minutes?

Mar 21, 08 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

ten minutes ago, unofficial notification for M.Arch Option 3 (same as M.Arch 1)

Mar 21, 08 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
stargazer

citrus.grey, i thought ur top choice was barlett over here in london

Mar 21, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
IlliniRunner

wittyusername,

Yep. Literally about 2 minutes after I posted my orginal list

Mar 21, 08 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Ugh don't remind me, I'm changing my mind on an hourly basis. Living in London beats Boston any day in my opinion (as I’m sure you know) but the education at MIT has been winning out over London recently and their financial aid offer just made it less than 1/10th the cost of the Bartlett. I'll know for sure after a visit whether or not it's the right place for me.

Mar 21, 08 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

congrats Illini & DJ!

still waiting for an email of my own from Berkeley. Its still early though, I've got all of next week to stress over it...

Mar 21, 08 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

thanks wit, sending out all my positive energy your way, or at least to your inbox.

Mar 21, 08 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
IlliniRunner

thanks witty,

now i just have to make a decision...

Mar 21, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
IlliniRunner

And good luck....

Mar 21, 08 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Oh and congratulations to you Berkeley people, and good luck to the hopefuls!

Mar 21, 08 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

so here's a little something to celebrate good weekend with!

Vampire Weekend: A-Punk

btw these guys went to Columbia ;)

Mar 21, 08 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
mindexpansionanchor

ePM: I applied to sciarc asking for financial aid info. and didn't get that email today...are you guys applying for m.arch1's or 2's there?

Mar 21, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
modernmonk

i received an email from MIT today.

"Your application to the Masters of Architecture program in the Department of Architecture at MIT has been reviewed, but we are not able to offer you admission until we receive a current, acceptable TOEFL score by June 1, 2008..."

whoooppss... didn't realise that TOEFL is required of those applicants whose first language was not English, regardless of residency in the U.S. or attendance at other U.S. educational institutions.

Mar 21, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

I got in to Berkeley!!!! Yaay!! The People's Republic of Berkeley, here I come!

Mar 21, 08 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

well citrus.grey, i'll see you at open house it seems!

Mar 21, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

Jostah - M. Arch 2 for me... funny thing is the email says it was sent thursday evening... definitely only received it this afternoon... not sure what to make of it

Mar 21, 08 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

congratulations on berkeley acceptances!

i am still waiting patiently, you know, my name is totally at the end of the alphabet so i bet they'll contact me next week, i'm sure, certainly yes.

Mar 21, 08 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
mindexpansionanchor

jazz: ...im m.arch 2 as well. That's wierd...maybe their email server is having issues. My current studio teacher had that kind of problem (lives/works 300miles away, school flies him in so we email a lot), where his emails would sometimes be received days after they were sent.

Mar 21, 08 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

UPenn news finally reached Vegas (we are kinda still a territory rather than a State)

Accepted but without to much dough... wah wah

Looks like its Between Rice and UCLA with the super(expensive)star Columbia still kicking and screaming in the back of my head...

Wow, what a fun decision to have to make!

Mar 21, 08 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

sayyes - I just got my news from Upenn today as well in Los Angeles! Hard decisions we have here... Upenn and Columbia are pretty great places to study. Still have a few more to hear from, you hear form everyone?

Mar 21, 08 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

congrats pbandj!

Mar 21, 08 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

Tatar- no Sci Arc yet... but I'm poor and they don't give dollars anyway... Rice and UCLA admits pretty much eliminated SciArc from reasonable consideration... but damn their shit is pretty!

Mar 21, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

I'm losing track of my M. Arch 1s and 3s, but I'm first professional degree--undergrad in liberal arts from St. John's, the great books school. And the email from Sci-Arc was also sent yesterday but only received this afternoon. Weird.

Mar 21, 08 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

Hey ... out of curiosity, did anyone else get accepted to the M.Arch program at CCNY?

Mar 22, 08 12:21 am  · 
 · 
nia

cornell(3.5) / columbia(3) / berkeley(2year) M.arch I

My interests in research are more deeper than design. What's the best for me? I need your opinions

Mar 22, 08 2:42 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

ohmygosh, last I heard from CCNY they hadn't received my GRE's yet, but no word since.

Mar 22, 08 6:50 am  · 
 · 
pbandj

thanks ff33!

Mar 22, 08 9:04 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hey jhooper...no news. still as follows:

princeton - reject
uva - reject
yale - no word
gsd - no word

yea work for another year! At least I have college basketball

Mar 22, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Smoke Porterhouse

ohmygosh:

i received an acceptance letter from CCNY a couple days ago

where else did you apply?

Mar 22, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

Pratt - accepted
Parsons - accepted
CCA - accepted
CCNY - accepted

Cornell - waitlisted

Columbia - ?
Berkeley - ? (c'monnnn BERKELEY!)

i received a phone call from CCNY, no letter yet. it seems like an attractive program (although not accredited, yet) and i was looking to see if anyone had feedback -- especially anyone who might attend. I guess CCA is kind of the same deal. Very intriguing program that's also not accredited, yet, and doesn't get all that much buzz on these boards (though some past threads have been helpful).

what's your status so far smoke porterhouse?

Mar 22, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

ohmygosh, I think CCA received its accreditation just recently, and this year's incoming class would be the first to go all the way through an accredited program.

Mar 22, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

that is really good news about CCA! i knew they were up for a review again this month but the NAAB website still lists them as a "candidate."

Mar 22, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Smoke Porterhouse

ohmygosh:

UMich - accepted
CCNY - accepted

Pratt - wait list

Columbia - ?

CCNY's program is new (not yet accredited), very small and, at $4000 per semester (in-state tuition), a bargain.
The facilities didn't blow me away but they are moving into a new building by Raphael Viñoly soon which should be a major upgrade.

Mar 22, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: