Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

jojo9

so far the gradcafe page reports 4 rejected, 2 accepted and 1 waitlisted for Penn. What I said earlier might actually prove partially true. If architecture does not work for me I might make a living by pretending to be a swami...

Mar 19, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

drop:

in a perfect world you'd be able to go to both open houses, since they'll have lots of info sessions and things set up and you'll be able to get a ton of information all in one forum. however, given that they're a week apart, i'd try to condense it to one visit, unless you want to have a week-long new england vacation (which i wouldn't recommend this time of year, ugh). attending only one open house and just visiting the other school is not ideal, but probably completely serviceable as long as you set up some meetings with faculty/students/financial aid/etc. beforehand.

Mar 19, 08 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

nice job dt

Mar 19, 08 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

there are rejections from Columbia? I am absolutely lost. Put my address of Spain in the application and my online website doesn't work ...

Mar 19, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
oxbow

Anybody gotten in to RISD M.Arch 1? it seems that they've only notified fellowship students....

Mar 19, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

snarkitekt: i think i may...know you. are you the only person at your office who applied this year? -kh

Mar 19, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

ha! yeah, i think you're right.

Mar 19, 08 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

Ybth - you still holding out hope for Columbia? I have no status change on my online app... I've given up all hope for that one...

Mar 19, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

well that effectively ends my attempt to glean information from this site anonymously. thanks for your advice folks. seeya!

Mar 19, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

jazz ... I am 98% out but, ... there is a 2% in which i trust. Probably the rejections are coming via postal and are not showed in the online app....

Whatever ...

Mar 19, 08 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
beatbox

That's awesome dt!

Mar 19, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
marik

jazz & YbTH...

what is your basis for giving up hope on Columbia? Only a few m.arch's have posted acceptance on gradcafe and that was only a few days ago...am i missing something?

Mar 19, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

@tzenyujuei/druvius

Are you guys talking about acceptance rate of 10% for M.Arch I or II or both?

Mar 19, 08 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Well in my case ... my GRE & TOEFL are not very good. It is true that Syracuse had the same cutoff for those scores and I got in... but I dont know if Columbia would work in the same way.....

Mar 19, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

@tzenyujuei/druvius

Sorry I just saw the post:

you said Acceptance rate: 10% for M.Arch I or II
were you on the panel? or just heard from faculty?

I'm really confused how I got in, I hope they didn't send the email to the wrong person ;P

Mar 19, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

@YbTH

Trust me, GRE doesn't matter.. at least for Cornell in my case. I applied to Columbia under the cutoff.

Mar 19, 08 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Penn - nope. I think it's my undergrad GPA.

Mar 19, 08 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
stargazer

anvi: did u check your status at your online application system of columbia? if u have found the offer letter there at the bottom of the page ... you should be fine, congrats :]

Mar 19, 08 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

marik - I've given up hope as it seems that all the acceptance emails (alerting people to check their online form) were sent out within a 2 day period. Some people checked without getting the email and we're accepted, some people (like me) have not seen any change to the online page. If people we're getting snail mail I would still have hope but it seems like they essentially sent all the acceptance emails at once and then were done... doesn't seem like they are trickling in over a period of time...

Mar 19, 08 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
marik

jazz...

...shoot i have not seen any change on my page either.

Mar 19, 08 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

the 10% is just from the number accepted over number of applicants for the masters program in general 1+2....the number is hardly exact or scientific... so perhaps you should take it with a grain of salt hehe I was not privy to the breakdown between the two programs

Mar 19, 08 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

tommorrow is gonna be a big day for Penn... I can feel it

Mar 19, 08 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
jojo9

and the fact that they sent out all decisions together makes it oh so democratically suspenseful...Aren't they lovely?

Mar 19, 08 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

anvi - in this case I will get in Cornell and/or Columbia .... :D

Mar 19, 08 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
ahouseapalace

got my penn admit in the mail today! m.archI.

i live in brooklyn, if you are trying to measure the speed of the mail.

Mar 19, 08 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
asmalldarkroom

whatsup guys. been following you for a day or two as my ability to wait patiently has eroded away. im not sure if knowing what other people are getting and when is helping or hurting, but here's where i stand:

univ. of md - accepted by mail apr. 8
univ. of cincinnati - accepted by email apr. 12
univ. of penn - accepted by mail apr. 19

harvard, mit, and yale - waiting and losing hope.

Mar 19, 08 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

@ottodesk

that's exactly why I'm concerned because I don't see any change for columbia's online system.

I got accepted to cornell m.arch i tho :)

Mar 19, 08 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
skycaptain

got into MIT today...waitlist for Yale....just waiting on Harvard now - don't really care about anywhere else i applied to except maybe U Penn although I think Cambridge is a better place to go to school than wherever UPenn is. lol. Geez this week has been intense. Good luck to all.

Mar 19, 08 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
modernmonk

@skycaptain: come on. west philly isn't that bad. plus you can live in the center city. rittenhouse square, perhaps?

Mar 20, 08 12:31 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

asmalldarkroom, I think you meant march, not april?

Mar 20, 08 5:04 am  · 
 · 
asmalldarkroom

yes, my mistake there. anyways, here's to a new day and hopefully good news for everybody. best of luck.

Mar 20, 08 7:34 am  · 
 · 
atet89

into upennn yesterday m.archII...... i live in cincy

Mar 20, 08 8:13 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

asmalldarkroom - was this for non-arch background or pre-prof. arch background?

Mar 20, 08 8:25 am  · 
 · 
stargazer

skycaptain: which program are u in?

Mar 20, 08 8:47 am  · 
 · 
atet89

landscape architecture

Mar 20, 08 9:38 am  · 
 · 
rafelito

just another morning without knowing anything...
=(....

well.. it's not over till its over..

Mar 20, 08 10:45 am  · 
 · 
la_la

Just got back from a road trip to Florida from Colorado - my boyfriend called me on the 16th with an acceptance from Oregon!

It's my backup but I feel good about it - a yes! There was no financial aid stuff or anything included.

[I highly recommend road tripping for anybody experiencing the painful angst of waiting, all the anxiety really melted away, and our country.]

Mar 20, 08 10:46 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

la_la congrats! a yes is nice no matter where it's from.

Mar 20, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Man, I think the admissions committee @ sci arc went on vacation...I was trying to figure out when their open house is, even though I have NOT been accepted or rejected yet...gotta buy a ticket to LA..
anybody have any idea?

Mar 20, 08 11:07 am  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

i was wondering the same thing

Mar 20, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
boxy

are you guys going with school-provided housing? seems a bit expensive for a dorm with shared bathrooms. only international students do this, right?

Mar 20, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
A V

ff33 - I also emailed SCI-Arc about the open house.. All I know is that they give tours about 3 times a week or so.. I signed up for the April 2nd tour. Im flying out to LA in a week. whoooo!

Mar 20, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

A V,
That is exciting. I am headed to UCLA's open house on the 6th. Maybe sci arc doesn't have an open house, i dunno. I am now sort poking around craigslist and trying to get a feel for LA neighborhoods. If there is a good news from sci arc, then, it will be a tough call. I sort of doubt UCLA will give much money.

Mar 20, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
A V

for me its SCI-Arc all the way. I have to get in!! Ughgh. You should email JJ Jackman and ask when tour dates are.. I think they are at 2:00 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I have no idea about LA neighborhoods, but I'm gonna let that sort itself out when/if I get accepted.

Mar 20, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
untouchable_1105

got into Harvard, columbia, and upenn. but haven't heard from yale, MIT, and cornell. nebody?

Mar 20, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

If you are thinking about setting up a tour at Sci-Arc I seem to remember they are incredibly accommodating. I went out there a couple years ago to visit LA schools and I just called about 1 week in advance and we had someone take us around the building... The whole thing took no more than 1 hour and then we were left to roam at our leisure. Btwn the person guiding us and the random students we got a good feel for questions about the school as well as the "life" aka... where people live, eat, etc...

Mar 20, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

U Penn - rejected 3/19
UC Berkeley- ?
GSD - ?
MIT - ?
Yale - ?
RISD - ?

I'm counting on a "no" for the majority of this list, with some possible waitlisting. I'm not 100% sure why. I think my whole application was just lack-luster due to the fact that my job was making me want to kill myself while I was producing it.

Corbu applied 3 times before getting in... but then again, he was Corbu and not some random finance major. lol.

Just thought I'd update y'all.

Mar 20, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

conormac - surprised you haven't heard anything from RISD. It seems like the sent out acceptances week and then rejections at the beginning of this week (got mine on Monday). Maybe there is another wave of acceptances and rejections coming - or maybe they are going to start wait listing people? At least RISD hasn't shut the door on you yet - you may still have a chance there.

Mar 20, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

0_o Application incomplete in Pratt. They are still open but if WES takes more time they will invite me to apply for next year.

Fucking document!

Mar 20, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Information for who is interested in: Syracuse open house 11 April

Mar 20, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: