Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ohmygosh

// oliv, thanks for taking the plunge and emailing berkeley. whew. c'monnnn BERKELEY!

Mar 20, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
thenew

Wait, archca and others, you got called from Harvard? To be rejected? I have never heard of that. Archca, didn't you apply MArch II? And Mori called?

Sorry, I just still haven't heard anything from GSD MArch II yet. Thanks..

Mar 20, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

this is a dangerous thread to post jokes on.

Thenew...mine was a response to ff33 joking about applying to all the schools he said he did. No phone calls for me or anything as far as that goes. ff33 didnt even apply there!!

Sorry...disclaimers on all future posts! Everyone's too edgy around this thing!!

Mar 20, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
thenew

Sorry, didn't catch the joke. (Maybe I am too edgy)
Do you think that we are implicity rejected if haven't heard from the GSD MArch II yet? It seems there would be more acceptances abound if that were the case. What do you think, Archca?

Mar 20, 08 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

I think the whole Harvard thing is weird this year. Not sure what to read into it. But someone said they were doing letters via mail, not phone calls or email. Last year it seemed like tons of people got phone calls. And theres a lot of people on here that haven't heard from GSD this year. Id hold out for a little while still.

Sorry for the jokes...just trying to lighten up the situation. let me know if you hear anything!!

Mar 20, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

gsd has been pretty consistent this year for most achinecteurs... email followed by phone call a few days later, then packages in the mail.

Mar 20, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
thenew

I will let you know... Its annoying having to wait so long. If I hadn't heard from Columbia yet, I'd really be stressed.

Mar 20, 08 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Connock

I just got an e-mail at 5pm from MIT - so there may still be hope for those who haven't heard yet!

Mar 20, 08 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
d.sull

Hi I just wanted to reply to the poster with questions about Berkeley. I did my undergrad there and had a great experience.

While it has a reputation as a school focused on sustainability, I managed to leave there with an incredibly digital portfolio, and a strong theory base, with few classes related specifically to sustainability (although a general social and theoretical consciousness about design permeates nearly every class in a constructive way)

Mar 20, 08 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
S>O

Here is my tally:

UIC: accepted
University of Washington-Seattle: accepted
Ohio State: accepted
UT: Accepted
University of Oregon: accepted
Berkeley: waiting

Had anyone got any financial aid info from UW of Oregon?

Mar 20, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

thenew,

sorry we didn't mean to rattle your cage...those posts followed one, of me bragging about not getting into Oxford (doesn't even have an arch school), and withdrawing my application to columbia as it was not rigorous enough.

just tryinmg to lighten the mood

Mar 20, 08 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

chris....were you m.arch I (no previous background)?

Mar 20, 08 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

ff - I'm surprised you didn't put down the University of Phoenix online M.Arch I program on that list.

Mar 20, 08 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
thenew

don't worry, my cage isn't rattled. I was just curious.

Mar 20, 08 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

No more screwing around on this thread ff33! Take your UCLA (and hopefully SCI-ARC) letters and your nachos and stop stirring the pot!

Mar 20, 08 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Connock

_juut: i was a m.arch I applicant with a 4 yr BS in architecture from UVa

Mar 20, 08 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
asmalldarkroom

wow- seems like overall a pretty dry- that is, bullsh!t- day from all of our schools. probably an eye before the storm. i miss undergrad when everyone knew with certainty within a few days of one another.

nonetheless, today was a day of spent anxiety for me. no news from anywhere.

laurilan-
i know its a late response, but this is all completely non-arch background (b.a. in philosophy) for m.arch i.

i feel like there will be a lot of news tomorrow, best of luck to everyone. and to those who don't hear and have to wait through the weekend... may god or someone have mercy on you (our) souls.

Mar 20, 08 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
e28

I have not heard anything from UW or Parsons I have been rejected by UIC and UT

I did find out today that I got accepted by Tulane

Mar 20, 08 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
gssoul

Got more 2 offers this week.
Still waiting news from GSD (MAUD) and YSOA.

I think it is about the time for me to think where to go. :(

My status:

U. Mich - MUD - accepted
Columbia - MsAUD - accepted
Syracuse - M.Arch I (adv standing) - accepted

Wait:

GSD, YSOA, Penn....

Mar 21, 08 12:07 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

no one has been waitlisted by GSD right? I'm assuming a rejection at every school that has waitlisted ppl and not contacted me... sound logic?

Mar 21, 08 12:16 am  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

sorry for that last message, didn't mean to be the buzz kill on light-heartedness... anyways, i only have respect for anyone / everyone in here that put forth the effort to apply to grad schools. I'm in good company in this thread and all of our accomplishments are impressive.

Mar 21, 08 12:36 am  · 
 · 
andytee

thanks, //oliv, for the berkeley info, i am keeping fingers crossed. would love a chance to live in the bay area again. looking forward to hearing some good news for a change.

another day with no new info. but, a good friend called to remind me how utterly freakin' talented i am - thanks j.

so far, i have two categories -

1) terrified by my greatness:

UW Seattle
RISD

and,

2) as yet unsure of what to make of my greatness

Berkeley
MIT
GSD
UMass Amherst

i am looking forward to being able to slot someone in the "ready for my greatness" column.

Mar 21, 08 12:40 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i like those categories!

Mar 21, 08 8:44 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

chopsky - i'd go back and look at the "pratt is wack" thread. i think that some people were talking about the waitlist on there. i think your odds might not be too bad. i'd definitely contact them and let them know you're really interested. i know once you accept, you can defer. so there might be some spots opening up soon.

good luck!

Mar 21, 08 9:04 am  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

so i have a bit of a predicament, and could use some advise,

I applied to schools last year, and was set on going to UPenn, but decided to work at a great firm for a year and reapply this year. I have gotten into some good schools, and then got the phone call from Penn, "you are in". then yesterday i get an envelope and a package. the envelope said "we are sorry to inform you...". It didnt make sense. Then when i opened the package it said, "congradulations, you have been accepted to landscape arch. program." i didnt apply to landscape. Im honored I got into the landscape, and would consider doing a dual degree Arch+Landscape, but the only reason I applied was to be in March program. What should I do? How do I talk to them to guarentee me acceptance into both? Please help, my worlds been flipped upside down

Mar 21, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 
stonerock

Um, maybe the admissions office just mixed up your packages? Definitely worth a call to find out.

Mar 21, 08 10:33 am  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

the phone call was from a landscape faculty member.

Mar 21, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
stonerock

Oh. Interesting. Did you ask why they accepted you into a program you didn't apply to?

Congrats though - it's a good program!

Mar 21, 08 10:37 am  · 
 · 
tkh

MIT! the package will be mailed in a week.

Mar 21, 08 10:47 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

kramer, thats a predicament!,,,I woudl just juice it the best you can..do what you can to secure the spot...dont take no for an answer!

Mar 21, 08 10:53 am  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

how do u "juice" them?

Mar 21, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
A V

ughhgh im starting to second guess everything.. this part sucks.. im thinking i should have applied to columbia and gsd.. was i wrong to put all my hopes in sci-arc?! this will pass...

Mar 21, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

well, you have some leverage...You have to somehow accept and then point out that it was their mistake. I woudl raise hell, make a scene if you have to..I mean UPenn is your top pick, and I can see why it would be.

Mar 21, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

its hard to except a degree program when its not really what i want with no guarentee i will get what i want

Mar 21, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

yeah kramer, i would call the director of graduate studies and pretty much explain things as you have here - that you're honored to have been accepted in the landscape program, and that while you have some interest in a dual degree, your real academic goal is to complete your m.arch. i think it's fair to tell them that you're somewhat confused about their admissions decision, and you'd like some clarification. then just see what they say.

Mar 21, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Fraggle

AV, you got accepted to U Penn right? that is an awsome program. Don't start second guessing about columbia and gsd, get excited about u Penn! :)

Mar 21, 08 11:11 am  · 
 · 
andytee

re: "imposter syndrome" -

this whole topic has been bugging me for a few days and i am just getting more clear about why. what is it about architectural culture that perpetuates such a competitive attitude that a first year student in a first professional degree program is supposed to be anything but a neophyte? why would anyone, especially a professor in charge of teaching that student, feel the need to denigrate them for what they do not already know?

i realize this is maybe a bit of a tangent, but wtf?

Mar 21, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

its called, paying your dues, kinda like Frats

Mar 21, 08 11:22 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

kramer, as cutthroat as admissions can be..i would approach the situation with more strategy, rather just calling them,...

Most paperwork is done by student work studies etc.....I woudn't want them telling you that you are screwed..I woudl go higher up and don't take any shit.

Mar 21, 08 11:26 am  · 
 · 
andytee

kramer2nd - yes, it is kinda like fraternity hazing. i'm asking what the fuck is up with that.

Mar 21, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

whats is up you guys bringin up
imposter syndrome", are you an imposter? ...probably not, then don't worry about it..it is just raw creativity and rationality of deicision that you are trying to discpline...Profs everywhere know this...
I am more worried about the months of no sleep rather than some prof ripping me a new one ....

Mar 21, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

its called ego - and professors have a lot of it. They love to hear themselves talk

Mar 21, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

...fear of being an imposter is sort of a tell-tale sign I think.

Mar 21, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

You should be more afraid of this happening:

link

Mar 21, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
boxy

that is one beautiful specimen

Mar 21, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

laurilan, thanks. i checked out the thread, but there isn't much about people being accepted after being placed on the waiting list.
i'll definitely call them though and find out how high/low I am on that list and insinuate that I'm very keen.

Mar 21, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

that's freaking unbeleiveable.

Mar 21, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

for those accepted to the MIT M.ArchI:

did anyone receive Advanced Placement status? (that is, 2.5 years instead of the regular 3.5), and if so, what is your undergraduate education background?

i have a BA in Architecture and somehow i got into the regular 3.5 year program instead of the 2.5. the administrator i talked to this morning said it could be a mistake. anyone can shed light on this?

Mar 21, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
robowala

i have a BS in architecture and I got advanced placement. i also have a friend who has the same degree as me and he's in the regular 3.5 year program. im not sure what to make of it myself, but you're not alone.

Mar 21, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

are these new MIT acceptances via phone or e-mail?

Mar 21, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: