Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

quiksilver

Thanks for the info robowala.

It's kind of odd.. with my background I would expect to be in the 2.5 year program. i'm going to try to talk to them and see what can be done.

Mar 21, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

_juut, i was accepted last week actually, so my acceptance isn't new. however, when i talked to the administrator there today, she said that they are "finishing up the last of admissions", so it sounds like MIT is not totally done yet

Mar 21, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

oops didn't answer all of the question: it was a phone call from Yung Ho Chang

Mar 21, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

Just wondering for all the m.arch 1 applicants, what degree did you apply with?

i applied with a bachelor of commerce (finance), and i subject myself to dissing.. lol.

Mar 21, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

B.A. English in creative writing

Mar 21, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

Bachelor of Music

Mar 21, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Bachelor of Fine Art

Mar 21, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Architectural Studies + Fine Art History

Mar 21, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

BFA/BS Physics

Mar 21, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

B. ENVD + A.A.S. in Arch Tech = Shit, I am too old to still be in school.

Mar 21, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

Bachelor of Commerce (Information Systems).

Mar 21, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

chopsky: sweet another comm dude! LOL. i always thought architects would have some sort of animosity towards b.comm people because a lot of the schools say b.sc or b.a as prerequisites

Mar 21, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

rose4401 and juut: that is a -great- combination for architecture.

Mar 21, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

anvi... to hell with animosity ;-)
you have your portfolio up on the web? id be interested to see what sort of stuff a fellow b.comm'er submitted. also, which schools you apply to ?

Mar 21, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

BA in applied math and studio art.

There were so many overlapping classes for the two majors, I figured I might as well do both!

Mar 21, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
stargazer

quiksilver:

so that means u've already received the mail package from MIT? Is it a DHL or anything?

I hold a BA in architectural studies and I'm anxious that I can't get the advanced placement too. 3.5 yr will pose quite a financial burden.

The email also mentioned scholarship details. Did you receive a similar email?

Mar 21, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

BA Economics & Computer Science

Mar 21, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

hey ottodesk, i actually have not received the package yet. the lady at MIT said it would arrive either today or by Monday via DHL.

looks like we have the same undergraduate background. if/when you get your packet, can you message me and let me know if you got 2.5 or 3.5? thanks in advance!

and yea, i received the same email you got, from Darren R. Bennett.

by the way, is MIT your top choice so far? what others are you deciding between?

Mar 21, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

i'm in the same boat as you guys, anxiously waiting on the DHL with a BS Arch. I can message you when i get more info quicksilver.

Mar 21, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

thank you, citrus.grey! this is a new different type of anxiety that is killing me now!

by the way, is there any real difference between a BA Architecture, and a BS Architecture? i'm wondering if that might make a difference for MIT

Mar 21, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

chop I'm a business major myself - finance.

super glad all those other kids from U Grad are willing to do that for a living and finance our future lives as architects lol

Mar 21, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
yyz

yeah quicksilver there is. the S stands for science obviously so as you can imagine they cover a lot more of the technical/structural side of building. they deal with construction/building codes etc. on top of just design.

basically if you have a BS you can expect more transfer credits than just a BA

Mar 21, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Well, yyz may be right on this one but in my undergraduate school a BA and BS in Arch are basically the same thing as far as graduate schools are concerned. Basically my friends who went for BA degrees just took two years of foreign language while I took two years of physics, but since you need physics to enter MIT anyway I can’t imagine there would be a difference. I came back to mention that right after I posted that comment I got an email with my financial aid offer. It still didn't say anything regarding AP or not, so I guess I'll have to wait for the packet for that information. But you should check your email.

Mar 21, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

ok thanks yyz. looks like i'll have to build up a pretty strong argument if i'm going to convince them. even in my BA program, i took classes in structures, construction, and sustainable design, so hopefully that'll help.. i even took a few civil engineering courses on the side

Mar 21, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
yyz

i guess it depends on the undergrad as well as the grad school. i was talking specifically about the ryerson program that some coworkers came out of. i think its technically called the "bachelor of architectural science"

but yeah, it never hurts to ask the school anyway

Mar 21, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

ahh! more anxiety! thanks for the update, I'll be waiting by my email inbox

Mar 21, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Goletian

B.A. In Art History (Architectural Emphasis) & a B.A. in Environmental Studies.

Mar 21, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
stargazer

quiksilver, citrus.grey:

my situation: MIT, Columbia: accepted; UPenn: waiting for the mail
so MIT will possibly my first choice, u too? Where are you from?

I m from Hong Kong while presently working in a London office. Therefore I expect the package to arrive a little later coz it's Easter Holiday on Monday.

I don't think if a BA or BS makes any difference for advanced placement coz the department should professionally judge on what courses we have taken. Even if my degree is a BA, I took way more technical courses than literature courses. And I never deem MIT architecture as a very technical school although they can share best-of-the-world technical resources with other departments in MIT.

Mar 21, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

Anyone else get a request for additional fin-aid info from Sci-arc? I just got an email asking me to fill out 2 attached forms... but I haven't been accept/rejected yet....

Mar 21, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Nothing in the mail... no emails and no calls today. Almost into the fourth week of March and I've only heard from one school. But I'm not as stressed as I was before I received that rejection on Monday... weird.

Mar 21, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
A V

jazz - same thing with me

Mar 21, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
oxbow

Just got the big envelope from RISD today! That felt good........

Mar 21, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

AV - So that means we can extrapolate and surely we've been accepted... otherwise we wouldn't need those forms right? right? right? yeah. good. thats what I thought...

Mar 21, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

congrats oxbow!

wittyusername - I almost went down the applied math route, but decided on the pure math track instead. Did you like it? My junior year I was considering going on to get a PhD in that field - maybe become a professor? I'm amazed at how abstract and complex some of that stuff that was - and I've probably forgotten so much of it now.

Mar 21, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
ryhane

For anyone who applied to MIT. I spoke to a woman today, who said, that she was still working on acceptance letters/packages and that I/we would have to wait until next week. She said there was no way she could let me know over the phone.

Mar 21, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

A V , you should email JJ and ask him when they are notifying...because i am scared to..

;-)

Mar 21, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

cou2, I definitely enjoyed doing the applied math stuff, especially the stochastic and differential modeling sort of stuff, but i feel like i didnt really know what was going on half the time, having to focus on that and finding the time to get the art projects done at the same time. I actually ended up doing my thesis on one of the least "applied" subjects possible (classifying and constructing polyhedra... fun!)

By the way, what convinced you to get an M.arch instead of a phd? general question, I know, but I'm still sort of wondering how I myself decided on this particular route...

Mar 21, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

ottodesk, i'm from California. MIT is my top choice, although I got into Yale too and it is a close second.

sounds like you have an interesting background!

Mar 21, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
stargazer

quiksilver, cool ... we'll be in the same class probably
are u going to the openhouse? i dun think i can fly from London to MA

Mar 21, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

yep! already booked my flight. i can share my observations and thoughts with you afterward. actually, i'll be formulating a bunch of questions to ask when i'm there so feel free to let me know what questions you might have. i really want to make a good comparison of these schools

Mar 21, 08 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

wittyusername - Having a PhD in math, means almost all of your work will revolve around mathematics. While I like the challenge of solving problems, proving conjectures, ect, I think I would get bored if that's all that I was going to do for the rest of my career. Architecture seems to have a little more variety to it. And some architects use a great deal of advanced math. There's an artistic, practical, technical and management side to building and as an architect I think you're kind of at the center of it all. Also got a little burnt out after so much math.

Mar 21, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
stargazer

I've been to the schools last summer. I'm pretty pleased with the environment in mit.
Thanks so much. will surely email you questions that i might have.

Mar 21, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
marik

Have people on this thread posted their portfolios anywhere on this site? I would love to see.

Mar 21, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

just got an email from renee chow - accepted to berkeley for m.arch, option 2!!

Mar 21, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

congrats snrk! good way to start the weekend!

Mar 21, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

Is anyone going to the GSD thing in New York?

Mar 21, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

I am. you too?

Mar 21, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

but then you'll miss shigeru ban!

Mar 21, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

marik, some people posted portfolios on earlier pages, i think mine's somewhere in the early 20's

the count thus far:

princeton: rejected
yale: no word
gsd: no word
cornell: no word

asbuckeye07, any news overe there?

Mar 21, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

oh snap... we're hearing from Berkeley now... i think my blood pressure just spiked.

Mar 21, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: