Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

dietc0ke

conormac, your portfolio was legit. i eouldn't worry about it too much. i am sure you'll get in soemwhere good.

Mar 20, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I haven't hear anything yet also from RISD ... I think post mailing is taking more time since I live in New Mexico.....

Mar 20, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

me either....what is the deal with RISD? Cou2, did you say you got a rejection from them? I remember last week a bunch of fellowship people getting in, but i haven't heard enough responses from them to believe they are done.

Mar 20, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

YbTH, the whole WES process is expensive and irritating.

Mar 20, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

yep - unfortunately my first notification was a rejection from RISD. Haven't heard a word from my other schools.

Mar 20, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

ok, before i continue to embarass myself...

is M.Arch pronounced em-arch or em-arc

GSAPP = gee-sap?

YSOA = ee-soh-ey!

Mar 20, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

i've always said em-arc, gee-sap, and spelled out y-s-o-a... i feel like YSOA rolls off the tongue quite nicely as does g-s-d, while G-S-A-P-P does not, so i've gone with the gee-sap. but thats just me. :)

Mar 20, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

it sure is a slow day for acceptances/rejections, especially for the 20th of march... thats march, and not m.arch. ;)

Mar 20, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

...and UCLA is uh-kluh right?

Mar 20, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

of course... hah

Mar 20, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ichopsky I paid 110$ by the moment ... I am pissed

Mar 20, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

it sure is a slow day. this is my first time posting.. applied M.Arch and so far accepted at: Yale, UCLA, MIT

rejected from: Princeton

waiting on: GSD, Columbia

anyone in a similar situation?

Mar 20, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

waiting for any notification or waitlisted?

Mar 20, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

Just for reference:

Wash U: Accepted
Cincinnati: Accepted
UPenn: Rejected
MIT: didn't get the phone call
GSD: didn't get the email/phone call/still waiting

Mar 20, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

Rejected from: Princeton
Accepted to: Columbia
Waiting on: GSD, MIT, Berkeley

Mar 20, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Just for reference:

SCI-Arc : please let me in!

Mar 20, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

accepted: Cincinatti
Accepted: Cornell
Accepted: UBC
Rejected: RISD
waiting: SCIARC
waiting: GSD
waiting: YALe

Mar 20, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
A V

University of Washington - accepted
U. Penn - accepted
Syracuse University - accepted
Virginia Tech - accepted
Illinois Tech - accepted
U. of Illinois, Urbana Campaign - accepted
SCI-Arc - <3

Mar 20, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

wow you have been accepted at Cornell and rejected at RISD

Mar 20, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

AV < 3 ?

Mar 20, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

ha ha my thoughts exactly!

its got to be the "crap shoot" theory...

when everyones applying to such good schools...

and when everyone's very qualified...

i dont know where the logic for acceptances lie.

i dont get any of this at all...

Mar 20, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
A V

ybth - <3 = love

Mar 20, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

Some of you will call me crazy, others just bored. Regardless, I’ve devised a ranking system specifically for me and the schools that accepted me. I took the average Design Intelligence ranking for each school from the last 3 years; then I ranked each school according to tuition cost, taking into account all current scholarships, grants and stipends. Then I made a raw score from the two rankings and made a new ranking! I love rankings! Keep in mind I have pending financial aid offers at Columbia and WashU.

It is as follows:

Rank by Design Intelligence (3-year avg.)

1 Cornell
2 Columbia
3 University of Virginia
4 WashU - St. Louis
5 Virginia Tech
6 University of Michigan
7 University of Texas
8 Clemson
10 NCSTATE
10 Uflorida

Rank by Total Tuition Cost
1 University of Texas
2 University of Michigan
3 NCSTATE
4 Uflorida
5 Virginia Tech
6 Clemson
7 University of Virginia
8 Cornell
9 Columbia
10 WashU - St. Louis

Raw score ranking:

1 University of Michigan
1 University of Texas
3 Cornell
4 University of Virginia
5 Virginia Tech
6 Columbia
7 NCSTATE
8 WashU - St. Louis
9 Clemson
10 Uflorida

Mar 20, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

the tally is in. here's a list of who wants me, and who doesn't.

visionaries:
gsd
uva
wash u
pratt

fools:
UT-Austin
YSOA (projected)

Soooooooooooooooo. A while back someone mentioned imposter syndrome. I never responded, but, yes. That's what I'm feeling. I feel like maybe I'm in over my head. Especially since I've never had a studio course (other than painting) and my background is non-arch, which may mean that I'm very developed in one type of thinking, but severely lacking in the type that I'll need at school in a few months.

I'm most concerned about making sure that my classmates at whichever school I end up at view me and treat me as a colleague, not competition. I hope that what will drive my them is an interest in the material and its applications, not some intellectual competition taking the form of an architectural education.

Mar 20, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ahm hahahahahha

Yes. I have the confidence to get in SCI, and following the statics you will get in also.

What is your background & portfolio? Did you post?

Mar 20, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

smithwillb:

how/when did you receive financial info about Wash U?

Mar 20, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

I have pending financial aid offers at Columbia and WashU. they said they will mail them out really soon. whatever that means. i told them not to expect me at the open house unless they mailed out financial stuff first.

Mar 20, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

nice ranking system smith! i wouldn't put too much into tuition cost, though. if you're poor, you'll get money. go to the school you think will help you out the most in the long run.

Mar 20, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

just to chime in with everyone else:

maryland - rejected
iit- rejected even though i didn't apply
uic - rejected
va tech - waiting for reply
ga tech - waiting for reply

not dealing with all this very well, but you know what helps? being given tullips on a first date! :)

Mar 20, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

DJ - true. but money scares me, and Federal Loans max out at 20,000...which means private loans for the rest. ouch.

Mar 20, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Well ripomatic, youve got the first part down...learning how to speak like an architecture student! Should fit right in!!

Focus now on learning to understand building as you design, not just trying to make pretty renderings of things that dont mean anything...my advice for all non-arch backgrounds!!

Mar 20, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
mindexpansionanchor

@AV and FF: I'm shooting for sci-arc too. I think I'm getting high blood pressure/ulcer/impending heart attack waiting for them...everytime there's a (1) in my inbox, i about shit myself just to find out it's some junk mail or something.

Also trying for UW-Seattle, I know some peeps that have gotten acceptances and rejections, and even more that are still waiting. Sounds like they've got a bunch on the chopping block still, depending on how many of their first round picks accept them.

At least I have gsapp as a backup though...so I could be somewhere at least.

Good luck, I know those SCI-Arc letters/emails/text msgs/who knows what will be pouring in here any day now, I can feel it.

Mar 20, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

smith, take a chance. you'll get scholarships, grants. it's just money, right? I have a feeling if you're at UMich, you'll regret not going to GSAPP or Cornell, and not the other way around.

Mar 20, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

well, that ranking takes into consideration all of the scholarships and grants i've received so far.

Cornell gave me some $$ but not nearly enough. i'm going to meet with them tomorrow. hopefully they can shell out some more cash.

i also really like UVa....like the south, the town, the school, the people. it's perfect! we'll see.

Mar 20, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

The latest roundup:

Accepted:
UBC
U of Washington
U of Tennessee Knoxville
U of Texas Austin

Denied:
UCLA
Yale (anticipated)

Waiting:
Berkeley
Oregon
Sci-Arc
New Mexico

Mar 20, 08 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

early you would like to come to UNM?

Mar 20, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
moca

first time posting.
just joining the parade:

Accepted:
UT-Austin
UCLA

Waiting:
Columbia
GSD
UPenn
SCI-Arc

and im in Austin...
anyone living anywhere besides the eastcoast that have heard from GSD and Columbia?

oh...i hate this wait.

Mar 20, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

I think sci arc decisions often come in much much later than the others but i'm happy to give advice on neighborhoods in LA : ) i went to school at UCLA and lived all over the city...it's one of my favorite cities ever...

Mar 20, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

DietC0ke - thnx for the encouragement - it's folks like you that make me positive I want to be an architect (hugs!) sorry wicked sappy but architects are pretty rad on the whole..

Rip, love your summary/classification system. The people we met at the open house seemed really chill, and esp. b/c anyone is a potential future colleague/employer, it's in everyone's best interest to be supportive & not nasty...

Mar 20, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
A V

conormac - Was someone nasty to you?! I guess I missed that. Thats too bad though : \

Mar 20, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Ybth,

I love NM so much I could go to UNM even though I've heard it isn't the strongest program (did you ever visit? what did you think?). I went to St. John's College in Santa Fe for undergrad and dream of the day when I can once again eat green chili for every meal.

I formed my list based a lot on the overlap of programs I liked and where my husband could get a post-doc/professorship, and he had applied to St. John's. He didn't get the job, though, so it's probably a no-go.

Where in Spain are you from? And how did you end up in NM??? If I were Spanish I would never leave home.

Mar 20, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Jostah - I also applied to UW- Seattle. I really love the west coast, maybe a bit too much. I'm pretty sure I'd pass up U. Penn (with scholarships) to go to SCI-Arc or UW Seattle. See you on the west coast!

Mar 20, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Accepted: UMich
Rejected: UCLA
Waiting: Berkeley, VTech, Cornell

Berkeley, if you're reading this... I'll make you proud to have accepted me.

Mar 20, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

so pb&j, where is the best place to live if youre going to ucla? It seems like westwood is ridiculously expensive, but being able to walk to the studio would be awesome. Perhaps Santa Monica?

On another note, I figured i would chime in with my own acceptances/rejections. Hope everyone doesnt mind...

UCLA, accepted
California College of Arts, accepted w scholarship

Columbia, waiting but probably no
Berkeley, waiting & hoping!!!
Sci-Arc, waiting
U-Washington (in seattle), waiting

Mar 20, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

The Berkeley crowds getting antsy...including myself!

Question for the Berk crew...did you have your letter of rec writers send in their letters or did you send it as part of the application package? Just curious as I sent 2 of mine with the package.

Mar 20, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

wittyusername: try Mar Vista area. I used to live there when I worked in LA. It's about a 10min drive to UCLA and I think they have shuttle service from Santa Monica Airport.

If you want to be able to walk to campus, then you're only option is Westwood.

Mar 20, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I sent mine in with the rest of my application.

Mar 20, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Question for anyone: General consensus is that SCI-Arc is better than UCLA? Right? How do Berkeley and SCI-Arc compare? I didn't apply to Berkeley but I'm starting to regret not doing so.

Mar 20, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Nice...they either dont care as much it sounds on the website or we're both out!! Good luck!!

Mar 20, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

My impressions are is that Berk and Sci-Arc are nearly bi-polar opposities. UCLA and Sci-Arc, their programs and environments, each cater to a type of person. Which is why you have to visit.

Mar 20, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: