Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

BabbleBeautiful

archca26: What do you mean?

Mar 20, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
A V

afrdzak - how are Berk and Sci-Arc opposites? I know little about Berkeley.

Mar 20, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Depends on what you want AV. UCLA might have better faculty and a better reputation in LA for graduating students that can transition to offices well. SCI ARC students tend to not know much about building or practice. SCI ARC has better facilities probably but is run by the crazy ass EOM!!!

Not sure how I would compare Berk and SCI ARC...but i would say Berkeley is further away from SCI ARC than UCLA in comparison

Mar 20, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Relative to each other, I feel that Berk is more conservative and practical in their design approach with much less "blob" work. Being part of College of Environmental Design, they have always had a focus on environmental sensitivity.

Sci-Arc is "newer" and probably "trendier."

Mar 20, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

my impression: sci-arc = new technology, form, experimentation. ucberkeley = earth-conscious, worldly, philosophers. but then again lisa iwamoto teaches at berkeley...

Mar 20, 08 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Berkley found a Dean yet?

Mar 20, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

archca26

What is EOM?

Mar 20, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

I found (in visiting and brief talk w/ students) Berkeley to be a rather down-to-earth program with more sustainability, urban design (it IS called the College of Environmental Design after all) and practical/technical emphasis. Sci-Arc was by far more conceptual, progressive, and "out there". I do remember that Berkeley kids emphasized that they are not restrained by their profs and if some of their projects were "out there" or more along the lines of what one would expect at Columbia or Sci-Arc... they were allowed to pursue it... I found that interresting... they seemed quite eager want to dispel the notion that they were conservative in design.

· 
pbandj

witty, well unfortunately the areas directly around UCLA are pretty expensive...we're talkin' Bel Air, Northern Brentwood, Westwood. But my first year I lived in Brentwood (the lower part near Wilshire blvd. and I biked a few times : ) to school. If you bike through the veterans hospital compound it's pretty quick...BUT really the thing to do is to find out where the Big Blue Bus goes and look at those neighborhoods too. From Brentwood and E. Santa Monica it's a pretty quick ride on the BBB. I also lived in W. Santa Monica and Venice Beach; that's about a 30-45 min ride on the BBB but very worth it in terms of being near the ocean. If you go south from UCLA, into what I call "the grid" (sort of just generic West LA, cross streets Santa Monica blvd, Wilshire Blvd, Olympic Blvd, Pico Blvd. etc.) you can find a ton of apartments and it's somewhat bikeable, depending on how far you are, but again, the bus runs there too. The BBB is very clean and I believe there's a discount for UCLA students. Also, UCLA has housing for it's grad students; you don't have to take it but it can be pretty good, though market rate. Finding a neighborhood near UCLA from which you can walk to campus is a tall order.

if we're talking sci arc I would look at Eagle Rock, Pasadena, Miracle Mile (near LACMA), Silverlake, Los Feliz. I love these parts of the city, lived near LACMA in a crazy building that looked like a castle...

nothing's really gonna be walkable, unless you live in downtown, which is starting to be gentrified. only hearty and brave souls bike LA...

· 
A V

Thanks guys for all the Berkeley vs. SCI-Arc info - and pbandj - thanks for the helpful LA info.. hopefully I'll be needing that info ver soon. :]

Mar 20, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Thanks guys for all the Berkeley vs. SCI-Arc info - and pbandj - thanks for the helpful LA info.. hopefully I'll be needing that info ver soon. :]

Mar 20, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I am from Almeria, the desert of Europe, studied in Madrid and came to NMSU as exchange student-year off....

haha Spain is great, but if I want to study Architecture there it will take ever ...

Mar 20, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

So who all is coming to the Penn Open House April 7th?

Mar 20, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
A V

about the U. Penn openhouse - quite possibly

Mar 20, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Ripo: regarding imposter syndrome: at least you're from another discipline and have an excuse to suck! Us arch background ppl have polished portfolios that we're destined to not live up to (at least thats how a feel right now).

Moca: I'm in Canada and have heard from Gsapp but not GSD

Oh and finally, my list:

Columbia: IN
Princeton: OUT (bastards...)
GSD: ?
Yale: ?
Berk: ?
Toronto: ?
SciArc: ?
Penn: ?
MIT: ?

I'm gonna kill my mailman....

Mar 20, 08 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

RISD!!! my dad just called and said a big package arrived at home.

doesn't sound like any scholarship money though.

btw, i didn't get any emails or phone calls. just postal notification for those of you wondering. so i guess there's still hope for those schools that *appear* to have notified everyone already.

this is for m.arch 1.

Mar 20, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

L.A. is so awesome...i miss it so much...and am feeling like an idiot for applying to only one california school...oh how i miss the sun!

Mar 20, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

Thanks pbj and afrdzak for the la info and the other general sciarc vs berk vs ucla info, its all very helpful. Having gone to undergrad 45 miles east of LA, i know the neighborhoods only very superficially in LA and its helpful to have an insider's knowledge.

Mar 20, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

congratulations chzzzcake!

Mar 20, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

EMAIL FROM RICE! MARCH 2 WITH $$!!!!!

Count:
in: UCLA
Wash U
CCA
Columbia
Rice

waiting: UPenn
Sci_Arc

Mar 20, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

say yes: that's great....Rice is awesome.

Mar 20, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

For those interested in Cornell

I just called them to get the stats of admission this year for

M.Arch I
Apps: 288
Accepted: 24

So that's about 8.3%

Open house on April 11, who's going? :)

Mar 20, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

sweet, put that stat on your mantle

Mar 20, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

wow. are you sure? that seems awfully low.

i'm in at cornell as well...but that just doesn't make sense. so, are 100% of cornell people on archinect?

Mar 20, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

pbandj ,
I just emailed you some annoying questions about living in LA :-)

Mar 20, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

re: cornell stat

They couldn't have accepted 24! perhaps a target enrollment of 24, which means they accept about 40. but even princeton accepts more than 24.

Mar 20, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
A V

ff - be sure to pass those on to me :]

thanks!

Mar 20, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

yeah i agree with Druvius. there's no way it's that low. i think that's how many spots there are.

Mar 20, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

smithwillb,...

I dont remember anyone on these threads ever having the success you have.

A V, my question was....if one lives , say in santa monica...and say it is 45 minutes away./..I mean how do you go to studio for 18 hours a day? an dthen you spend 45 in transit...seems hectic, i dunno...when I am studio, a sleepy commute seems difficult.

Mar 20, 08 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

nope i second the Cornell comment~!

I received a phone call from the dean

and its true!!1

8.3 percent...shocking but true

Mar 20, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

perhaps the "princeton-effect" has taken its toll on another school

Mar 20, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

FF33....well...i'm sort of shocked as well. so is everyone else. because well, it certainly wasn't expected. maybe i prayed too much. i don't know. but i am very grateful, humbled by this process. it's been a crazy year.

are you going to UCLA!? that's going to be awesome. i wish i applied there...actually never mind, i don't wish i applied anywhere else...maybe harvard. but that's it.

Mar 20, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i still don't believe it. i'll ask them tomorrow. taking the bus up to Ithaca.

Mar 20, 08 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i thought Cornell always accepted a lot of people because no one wants to move there. so they have to extend their congratulations to a few more maybe unworthy but devoted students.

Mar 20, 08 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

ff3, i just emailed you a response but as i'm a non-arch background don't know how helpful my take on doing UCLA as an arch student will be...but driving caffeinated down Wilshire blvd at 70 mph at 3:00 am is all part of the experience : )

Mar 20, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

Druvius:

Sorry, maybe what number I received was the intended class size. But it's up from 15 - I think 24 is a good number.

So assuming an yield rate of.. 60% they should have accepted 40 in the first wave?

Mar 20, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
ldaye

sayes....i know that rice is a small class (around 12). does everyone receive full tuition, or are some partial?

Mar 20, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

speaking of Princeton, where is asbuck,..that was his favorate school...(too bad they only accept 3 ppl or whatever it is).......he seems scarce...actually I am jealous ..I need to get off of here and go for a run...or something.

smithwillb , hey man,,,bask in the glory..haha you probably worked very hard to get here an deserve your good fortune...I hope all those choices don;t actually make this a harder decision for you.

Mar 20, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

mmmmithaca! enjoy your trip smithwillb! springtime means the dirty snow starts melting and the roaring gorges are spectacular.

i was waitlisted at cornell ... still awaiting the verdict. i did my undergrad there. loooooved it, but not sure i can do it again. oh, ithaca.

Mar 20, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

anvi: yeah sometimes it's not clear whether it's "acceptance" rate or "enrollment" rate, as both tend to be called "admission" rate.

Not like it really matters, but since we're all shooting the shit and waiting for this godforsaken month to end.

Mar 20, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

so cornell .... out

Mar 20, 08 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

YbTH -- Cornell is on spring break this week. it would appear that all acceptances have been sent out since i've already been put on a waitlist, but i do not pretend to understand the admissions process. therefore, it isn't over until you hear.

Mar 20, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

ohmygosh i think im going to cornell...

did you really love it?

how is the "graduate scene" out there>?

is there much to any interdisciplinary mixing/meeting?

Hows Ithaca?

God id love any inside scoop!

Mar 20, 08 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

another Penn MArch II admission... Yay!

So.. Will we all meet at the open houses?

East coast, anyone? :)

Mar 20, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

I forgot to mention I also asked about when the packages were sent out

They were sent out last Wednesday, March 12
Emails were sent out two days ago, March 18
I'm not sure if that's only for international students or not.

Mar 20, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I will be in Mexico City since this night.

Mar 20, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

bristow, i ramble, i ramble a lot ... so i sent you an email!

Mar 20, 08 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

ff33- EOM is Eric Owen Moss

afrdzak - in regards to my comment early it was sort of a joke because they asked that letters be sent from the writers to the school. Sorry if I caused a panic but you never know with the UC system!!

Sorry for the delayed response, it was lunch time!

I think with ay of the three schools (berkeley, ucla, sci arc) you cant go wrong on the west coast. All three are good schools for their own reasons and your in California so how could you complain!

Mar 20, 08 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

anvi: Emails for both rejected and accepted students? I haven't heard anything.

Mar 20, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

hey ohmygosh, can you forward me that email about Cornell/Ithaca?

Mar 20, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: