Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

cou2

snark brought up a good point yesterday about only going to schools that you are 100% sure on. I'm pretty sure my only choices at this point will be two schools that I am not 100% sure on. I'd love to apply again next year - I think I could do much better knowing what I do now. But if I don't go to school next year I have to start paying back loans. I'm kinda in a bind here. Ideas?

Mar 19, 08 11:09 am  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

cou2..there are ways around the loan payback...just call them...they'll defer longer than you think.

Ybth, that image i amazing, you really made that? Man , send us more!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 19, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

Ybth, how was that images produced?

Mar 19, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

cou2 -- honestly, i don't believe you can ever be 100% sure about this decision since the reality of your choice will only become evident once you are there and in the swing of things. you will be basing your decision off things you read and things you hear. from personal experience, i think you just have to do the best you can with the information you have -- and that might only add up to 75% certainty -- and that's okay too! the rest, good or bad, you'll figure out when you get there ...

also, about loans -- deferment or forbearance is the way to go if you can't pay. i just went through the process last week. it ended up being so much easier than i thought.

Mar 19, 08 11:32 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Yeah - I guess I could find a job at an arch firm, try to build up some experience and maybe pay of the loans a little bit or just defer them again. Maybe take a couple of art and structure design classes at UNH over the summer and fall. Or do a career discovery thing. But without being enrolled in a degree program I'd have to pay for classes out of pocket - expensive. Does anyone know if there is a way to get financial aid to pay for classes in this situation?

Mar 19, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
doin_time

@cou2-

I've never done it, but supposedly people often get loans for educational expenses without being formally enrolled at an institution - it would be worth researching.

If I get into Penn for the MLA, I am going to need to take some of their summer institute courses in horticulture, hydrology, etc, so I will likely be in the same boat.

Mar 19, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I used a picture of the stadium. I toke the picure while I was watching a game between NMSU and Boise State. Then cut & past, cut & paste ... 45 layers in photoshop and 2 hours working.

This is how i pass the time. :)

Mar 19, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ff I put some of them in my portfolio .... take a look if you want.

Mar 19, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon
http://fran.deluxe.googlepages.com/nightmare
Mar 19, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

there's a Upenn acceptance on GC

Mar 19, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

Ybth, do you have any more Peyote? I need to go on a vision quest.

also,..I bet you coudl reapply to sciARC, UPENN,m and columbia next year with a portfolio only of this stuff...haha

Mar 19, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

hahahhaha I know I did the portfolio in 15 days ...

But I need to enter now in school, cant come back to Spain. My father has a lot of work for me in the Civil Engineering area...

Anyways I have confidence to get in sci-arc

Mar 19, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

maybe i'll see you there in LA, we can do shrooms and build a robot.

Mar 19, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

yes a robot to make long islands is my dream

Mar 19, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
minoho

Received letter from U.Penn today (first-class mail). I live in NJ if that helps.

Mar 19, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

minoho, were you one of the posters on gradcafe?

Mar 19, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
minoho

yep,...i posted already

Mar 19, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

ybth, me gusta Calimocho!

Mar 19, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

Is it just me or did nobody apply to Cornell on these forums :(

Mar 19, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i did! i'm going there Friday to talk to them.

Mar 19, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

i applied as well, haven't heard a peep

Mar 19, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

I know people like to mention Cornel's issues with NAAB, but that school will be a good choice I think..also...look up Mike Silver ..if he is teaching..I saw a lecture of his...it blew my mind.

Mar 19, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

minoho you were in the thread of last year right

Mar 19, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

calimocho for me is too soft and nasty....

Long Island became my favorite drink since I live in USA

Mar 19, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

anvi - I wouldn't view it as a bad thing if not many people applied to Cornell - if that's the case I might actually have a chance of getting in there. Seems like a really cool program and school. If it wasn't for it's location it would have been my first choice. I've heard Ithaca is a great place, but I already did the rural university thing. Personally, I think that the school was the best "fit" for me and my Cornell application was probably the strongest - so there might be a small chance. But after being rejected from RISD, I'm not counting on anything other than UMass (maybe) and The BAC.

Mar 19, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

ybth, you must be completely wasted many days then..haha LIT is the peyote of cocktails.

Mar 19, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

My name is Francisco and I am alcoholic hahahahahaha

Mar 19, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

oh peyote... since i am here en New Mexico I have a couple of american indians friends ... Some day I am going to their home town to have peyote and make its ritual ... Just to figure out myself

Mar 19, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

Should one assume that if they never received a Pratt email yesterday, that they didnt make the cut? :-/

Mar 19, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

whats the NAAB issue?!

Mar 19, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

i believe the M.Arch acceptance rates this year for Cornell run around 10%and Mike Silvers/Branden Hookway are teaching a digital fab design studio this semester

Mar 19, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

It seems I will get a bunch of rejections during the springbreak holidays....

Mar 19, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

10% seems a low by my estimation

Mar 19, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ff when is SCI sending out letters? they are going to use traditional mail or email?

Mar 19, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

thats the combined number for M.Arch 1 & 2 i'm not sure how it breaks down once you separate them per program. sorry can't be more helpful

Mar 19, 08 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Just got accepted to U. Penn!

Mar 19, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

Congrats AV!

Mar 19, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Way to go AV

Mar 19, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

congratulations AV

Mar 19, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

congrats A V!!

hey tzenyujuei!!

Mar 19, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
A V

thanks guys! anyone else going to go visit there anytime soon? I live 2 hours away so I will definitely go to the open house and stuff!

Mar 19, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

AV, what are ur top schools now that you ahve heard back from them

Mar 19, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

question:

assuming you have been accepted to both harvard and yale, are you considering traveling to both?

i live rather far away and am debating making a single trip as opposed to taking a full week off work or flying up twice. suggestions?

Mar 19, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
A V

kramer - all my schools / acceptances are on my profile. i update it whenever i hear anything

Mar 19, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
A V

drop - im taking a week and half of of work and traveling to most of my schools at the begining of April - its mostly just cause I need a nice lil vacayyyy!

Mar 19, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

blah cross continental mail takes too long!

Mar 19, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

drop:
go to both on the same trip. If you're planning on flying to Boston, it's not tough to take the train to new haven and back.

Mar 19, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

follow up:

so would you guess being present at only one of the two open houses is alright, assuming that I can manage to visit both schools?

Mar 19, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

I got an email from Penn - I GOT IN TO THE MLA PROGRAM!!

Mar 19, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

drop, i'd pick one of the two open houses to attend and then visit the other school either the day before or the day after. if you contact the school and let them know what day you'll be there, they can probably set you up with some faculty & students to talk to about the program and show you around. rose is right, it's probably simplest to fly to boston and then take the acela to new haven - it's not cheap, but it is quick and you won't have to take off a full week from work. it's definitely a good idea to visit both before making a decision, although yale's arch building is being renovated this year and i think they're still temporarily located in the sculpture building, so you won't really get to see your actual studio space there.

congrats on both, by the way. and congrats a v on upenn!!

Mar 19, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: