Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

nariman

err.. looks like i'm not getting any money.

if you're international and pratt offered you money in their email throw your words on here pls.

let's say that one decides to do a M.Arch 3+ at one of these schools. and they never get a scholarship. that's like $90,000 debt in the end. if you don't have a rich uncle, how can you even start paying this back with internships starting at $10/hr?

Mar 18, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

easy...work for 9000 hours

Mar 18, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

with an m.arch you should absolutely be getting paid more than $10/hr, but that said you will still be paying off debt for 10+ years. this is part of why young architects have no money.

Mar 18, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
nariman

does anyone have any information on making schools fight over you and then picking the one who gives you the most money? does this actually work?

Mar 18, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

yeah, $10/hr is bad, even for architecture

Mar 18, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

no word today, this inconsistency is def a buzz kill. Anyways, good job to all those pratt people... Enough of my wallowing around, I'm going to the gym to get rid of this anxiety.

Mar 18, 08 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

anyone get snail mail from MIT? no phone, no e-mail?

Mar 18, 08 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

UT - DENIED

i feel like a frosty monk-brewed brew.

Mar 18, 08 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

mrbren..are you really that sad about not having to live in texas?

Mar 18, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

anyone know if pratt usually send out their acceptances all at once? should i assume today was the big day?

Mar 18, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

nope, it just made me happy i brought trappiste ales home after work. i actually like austin quite a bit. believe it or not, i think some parts of tx are pretty rad.

doesnt matter anyhow -- 5 more to look forward to!

Mar 18, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
hmack

WOOOOOOHHHH!!!

Got an acceptance e-mail from GSD at 10am this morning for the M.Arch II program. I thinks its just the begining for M.Arch.II students because I havent really seen an posts for this program yet.

Mar 18, 08 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
nmny

hmack,

did you get a regular letter ?? or the package for GSD M.ArchII ? and if so, was that letter certified and needed a signature to get or you found it in your mail box ? i really need to know hehehehe i'm going crazy here

i got a " sorry we missed you notice " from USPS .. so i need to go to the post office and get it cause it needed a signature in the morning .. i guess i won't be able to sleep tonight !! AHHHH might be a rejection letter ..

appreciate the answer ..

Mar 18, 08 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
nmny

hmack,

never mind .. didn't read the e before -mail..

Mar 18, 08 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
hmack

Well, all i got so far was an email, but I called the office and they said that the package should be here by tommorow

Mar 18, 08 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
tkh

anyone going Princeton??

Mar 18, 08 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
nariman

couple of questions here:

1. parsons vs. pratt

if you have anything reasonable to say about these two pls let me know.

i'm going to nyc for the long weekend and will check out these two schools. it's the only time i could visit but it's spring break and there's no faculty/students. i really want some face to face with their students. anyway, i will report what i find out on here.

2. besides theory/history/studio (which all schools offer) what i'm looking for is a strong technical education with an emphasis on energy efficient buildings.

what are you guys looking to get from your M.Arch I degrees?

Mar 18, 08 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

tkh, i'm about 90% sure i'll be going to princeton. you?

Mar 18, 08 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

Mar 18, 08 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

Mar 18, 08 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

ugh! sorry about the multiple posts guys, having awesome browser issues.

Mar 18, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

i didn't know the director at UIC was Robert Somol... when did he leave UCLA?

Mar 18, 08 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Princeton was under my opinion the best program. I couldn't apply because the early deadline, but snarkitekt you will enjoy princeton.

Congratulations if you decide to go there and give me your phone number to give me a job in the future.

:)

Mar 18, 08 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

haha
yeah me too.....unless you have already become an Ivey League Snob?

Mar 18, 08 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
tkh

Snark, i'm about 89% sure for Princeton!

Mar 18, 08 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

i didn't make it into princeton, but i may as well give my two cents. i think there is a lot of praise for princeton because of two things: they admit only 15 M.Arch applicants and they provide for half of tuition. I don't know how strong they are academically vs. other schools, but i can't imagine that the small class size will provide enough competition/inspiration. however, this is coming from just another princeton reject.

Mar 18, 08 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

would you speak of it the same way if you were admitted?

Mar 18, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

no, because then i'd feel special.

Mar 18, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

you are special , didn't you get into Yale...?

geesh....

Mar 18, 08 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

but not UCLA or Columbia, which tells me that this whole process is really just the matching of applicant potential with school goals.

Mar 18, 08 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

Yes, i agree, ...there appears to be an agenda, however not a transparent one , of specific acceptance criteria..and there by no applicant can really ascertain whether their personal "message" is appropriate per admission. So the apparent monopoly on "specialness" is apparently held by the admissions, which is to say nothing of quotas for campus diversity or by the same token, the actual life or work experience and or merit of the students skill displayed through the work in the portfolio. So yeah, no rhyme or reason....right.

But we are still "special."

Mar 18, 08 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
jojo9

I regretted applying to Princeton when I visited the place. I mean I am a city girl and this suburban thing...you don't know how bad it is till you see for yourself. I seriously think the program is very strong though and the work that comes out of it looks exceptional to me. Maybe they have other methods to stimulate your creativity besides competition, which I think is not very inspirational actually. As a matter of fact I guess it becomes a sick thing when a certain border is crossed, but that's just my humble opinion - don't consider this a dogma. I have yet to hear from a couple more schools but I already made my decision and am going to another school. Turning down Princeton and making some waitlisted person happy, isn't that nice enough to make two people feel special?

Mar 18, 08 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

jojo, were you accepted to MArch I or II?

Mar 19, 08 12:02 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Tanner brings up an interesting point, although I tend to disagree with her/him, I’d be interested in hearing you people's perspectives on very small class sizes.

My general feeling is that attending a school with a small number of really high-quality students might be the ideal situation. I suspect that having a year of 15-25 people means that the direction of your studios and of the school in general would rely much more on the work of each individual student. Smaller studios (6-8 people) and tons of individual contact with your instructors leads me to believe that the environment might be more inclined to encourage each individual's unique interests, abilities and inclinations for making architecture, as opposed to a school with much larger classes where the work might get lost in the crowd and the trajectory of the school comes more from the administration than its students.

More than anything I think I’m interested in going somewhere that will best develop my own unique way of thinking and making, and I’m currently trying to decide whether a huge school with diverse options, or a tiny school with tons of individual attention would be a better route to take. Any thoughts?

Mar 19, 08 12:11 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Rejecting Princeton! Nice jojo... score one for the princeton rejects like myself.

I agree DJ, they choose based on fit. We all have outstanding merit I'm sure.

Mar 19, 08 12:15 am  · 
 · 
nariman

jojo what can you tell us about columbia's M.Arch I?

Mar 19, 08 12:21 am  · 
 · 
jojo9

I am going for big school, location and connections since I already hold a professional degree. Thing is, in small schools you don't get many studio options do you? Of course in bigger schools like say GSAPP where a population of 70 is broken down to 10++ studios you may not get your studio of choice but still is 10-12 people considered such a big class? I don't really think so. Plus I don't really feel comfortable with all this "the few, the great, the chosen ones" attitude, though I sense has little if nothing to do with the faculty but more with freshly accepted students. A friend of mine graduated from Princeton SoA about 3 years ago. He was really arrogant back when he entered. Completely different person by the time he got out, not sure we can generalize though. Maybe I am absolutely wrong about all this. Anyway, why does small and exclusive have to be directly linked to Princeton? There are plenty small and thus selective schools.

Mar 19, 08 12:29 am  · 
 · 
jojo9

oh, sorry. MArch II yes

Mar 19, 08 12:30 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Well I wasn't talking about Princeton for the record, but you certainly nailed the other side of the coin jojo, larger school = way more options for studio, more directions to pursue, more faculty to work with et cetera.

Mar 19, 08 12:57 am  · 
 · 
Tartar Treats

jojo seems awesomely sane. I got rejected from Princeton but looking at going to Columbia this summer! Still haven't heard from anyone else, but I'm glad there are people with normal sensibilities and a strong head on their shoulders that will be going to GSAPP this year!

Mar 19, 08 2:08 am  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Got into U of Texas on yesterday and rejected from UCLA today. What a roller coaster.

Mar 19, 08 3:21 am  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Also, for those of you applying to Berkeley, admissions officer said they are finalizing the decisions and will be sending emails out next week.

Basically--just what's on their website.

Mar 19, 08 3:24 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

well ... to celebrate all of us got into a school I made this picture:

http://fran.deluxe.googlepages.com/panam

Congratulations

Mar 19, 08 3:35 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

YbTH, it's interesting, but what exactly is that?

Mar 19, 08 9:01 am  · 
 · 
doin_time

Someone on gradcafe posted an acceptance from Penn via US mail. I don't know where they are from, of course, but unless they live down the street from campus I don't get why I didn't get a decision in the mail yesterday also.

I really hope this is the last time I have to rant about this.

I'm sure y'all do too...

Mar 19, 08 9:10 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i'm in NYC, applied to PENN, nothing in the mail...so...yeah still waiting.

Mar 19, 08 9:20 am  · 
 · 
jojo9

well, what if that one person is this 10% of acceptees somebody in here had a theory about? Perhaps Penn will surprise us this year by beating Princeton and Yale to selectivity. Nothing to joke about of course but I kinda get the sense that next year's commiserate thread would be all about Penn and whether and how "special" you are if you get there if that were to be true. Seriously though Penn seems to be under-rated, at least in this particular thread. Or is it just me?

Mar 19, 08 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

One of my profs is friends with the chair (Detlef Mertins) at Penn, and from what I've heard, they're on the upside of a rebuilding process. But some would consider this to be a very positive thing, as this tends to produce a less rigid, less dogmatic learning environment.

Mar 19, 08 10:17 am  · 
 · 
bristow

anyone have any inside information on Cornell's MARCH I?

I think that might be where im leaning!

scary that im already seriously starting to "lean" !

Mar 19, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 
rose4401

Someone on gradcafe got a rejection from Penn by postal service. Nervous.

Mar 19, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: