Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ff33Āŗ

....all I said was: "you are really into rankings aren't you?"...becaesu he was using terminology like a "...next year though, will be more-mid level schools. Not really mid level though, just lower-high (columbia, ucla, etc)"

I do respect his choices...but I also see the whole process as being pretty silly. asbuck and I have spoken about this....and know where we stand.

Mar 18, 08 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

I am out to lunch..good luck everyone.

Mar 18, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

we all have different reasons for applying to all sorts of places. i applied to 11 schools because my boyfriend applied to 20 medical schools. and we wanted to have a match. and now we do, and i can't get myself to do it.

Mar 18, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

you're fine ff33. I know where you're coming from

and I should clarify the "lower-high" level comment. this is in my eyes. not rankings or anything. Im just not quite as interested in the direction of these schools in respect to the ones I choose. maybe next year I need to go the apply to 16 schools and see what sticks route. thats all im saying. off to lunch. sorry, no more bickering :)

Mar 18, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

are columbia and ucla really the same "level"? I've heard all sorts of things about Columbia while UCLA seems to have completely slipped below the radar, at least in terms of this particular thread.

Mar 18, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Does Columbia send any waitlist notifications? Or something!
My online application doesn't show any admission status and I put my address from Spain in the application....

Hope to know something via online....

Mar 18, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

not to digress or anything, but it looks as if (on gradcafe) someone just got accepted to MIT M.Arch I today... Thats some good news, perhaps they're in fact not done, as many people thought they might be after all those phone calls last week... Hopefully similiar news will start to trickle out of gsd and gsapp in the coming days...

Mar 18, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I have a feeling I'm going to be lumped in with Advanced Placement and therefore my chances are lower...

Mar 18, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

now I want to go home for lunch and check mail...

Mar 18, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

did anyone see that comment on grad cafe for UMich? he/she got accepted and the "package and came with a t-shirt." Hahaha....already getting swagged up!

Mar 18, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
A V

ughgh sorry but I dont care about any of this!! I just want SCI_Arc!!

Mar 18, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

yeah, mine came wrapped in a lab coat that said "MICHIGAN ARCHITECTURE". is was crazy

Mar 18, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

They're all about team spirit at that place I guess

Mar 18, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I bet I have something in my mail...

Mar 18, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
freebornman

i think i have a full blown ulcer waiting for the damn GSD rejection/acceptance letter/call/email or fucking bike messenger. did anyone apply for march/maud dual degree? i'm hoping that takes longer to decide...

Mar 18, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

NO F*CKING MAIL FROM PENN TODAY

GOD

Mar 18, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

doin_time, where are you located?

Mar 18, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

archca26: your post got swept away on the last page -- congratulations on your acceptance to Pratt! just wondering, how did they contact you? still waiting on them.

and, I'm also waiting for berkeley, c'monnnn BERKELEY! first school i applied to way, way back in december and ... c'monnnn BERKELEY!

Mar 18, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@rose4401

IN EFFING PHILADELPHIA

THIS IS RICOCKULOUS

Mar 18, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

ha, ok.

Mar 18, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
GDCCS

hang in there doin_time !

Mar 18, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Can we think of a sneaky scheme to get them to just tell us whether we're in or not over the phone?!

I really liked the idea of calling and saying that I got a phone call I was accepted but I don't know whether it was fake or not, and that I just wanted to clarify with the admissions department.

Ughghg I'm so bored at work.

Mar 18, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

If I don't get something from Penn tomorrow I'm seriously calling and shouting.

A lot.

Mar 18, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

wasnt someone saying philly's mail system is shait? oh well, at least they have will smith and cosby.

Mar 18, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@asbuckeye07-

Actually, I said that, but I thought - apparently naively - that since mail from Penn-to-me only has to go - I dunno - ACROSS TOWN, that I'd see it today.

Silly me.

Mar 18, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

damn man, you could've just asked them to go pick it up.

Mar 18, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

does anyone else find it strange that MIT's website says in bold letters "decisions will not be given by phone" and yet, there are a couple people who have said they were called by MIT?

Theories?

Mar 18, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
A V

I think that means that you shoudlnt waste youre time calling and trying to find out - not that they won't call you and tell you themselves if you're admitted.

Mar 18, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
cubed

about MIT,

I wrote Cynthia, the secretary, asking if she would send me an email notification. I was feeling pretty terrible because I was sure that everyone who had gotten accepted had been called. But I just got an email from Terry Knight saying I got in! So, don't let the forums be the end all.

Mar 18, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

"Applicants will be notified by mail of the Department's decision by April 1. No decisions will be given by telephone."

That just makes it sound like the only way they do it is by mail... but you could be right, AV

Mar 18, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
A V

hmm I have no clue really - I didn't even apply there - but good luck!

Mar 18, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

ohmygosh- Pratt emailed me last thursday. It was a copy of the letter im guessing theyre gonna mail me with some other stuff.

Who knows whats going on with Berkeley...not sure how they notify people.

Mar 18, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

Berkeley says:

"Unofficial application decisions are emailed to applicants by the end of March. Applicants who have been recommended for admission are notified by the Graduate Division by mid-April."

Hopefully the emails will start coming soon!!

Mar 18, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

holy geez! mid-april?!?!! haha, i don't think i can hold my breath that long ...

Mar 18, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

figured as much...damn california public schools!

I just hope I get in to berkeley so I can have two diplomas signed by the govenator!!

Mar 18, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

official letters in april...unofficial letters anyday really. Got mine from UCLA last night.

Mar 18, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
ldaye

i got a brief letter in the mail of an acceptance to the MLA 2D...but i'm not sure about architecture at Berkeley

Mar 18, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
skycaptain

where on gradcafe is there discussion of march admission?

Mar 18, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
A V

you have to use the "search", sky captain

Mar 18, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@skycaptain-

just search for "architecture" - they're mostly m.arch. results anyway

Mar 18, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

Got a big nothing in the mail today, not sure if that is worse than another rejection.. Oh, the agony!

Mar 18, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
skycaptain

no luck. typed architecture in search bar and no relevant results. :(

Mar 18, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

from the home page go to results search, not forum, then search...

Mar 18, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

skycaptain -- did you go to thegradcafe.com? then, "results search"

Mar 18, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

re: gradcafe, it took me a while to figure it out, here's a tutorial:

1. go to www.thegradcafe.com
2.click "results search" on left hand menu
3. type "architecture" in the search box.

this gives all results for all programs with "architecture" in the wording, including L.Arch, etc. You can refine results by using a school name, or a specific degree like M.Arch I, but the basic set of results is pretty easy to wade through.

you can also post any decisions you receive there pretty easily, do not need to create and account or register or anything like that. just click "submit your results" and fill out the form. the more people participating, the better the site works.

Mar 18, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
skycaptain

found it...i needed to click results search. THANKS guys.

Mar 18, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
skycaptain

this is confusing....i can't click the results...

Mar 18, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
skycaptain

hmm. or is this a list of decisions. wow.

Mar 18, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

blame canada

Mar 18, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

WTF

Mar 18, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: