Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

snarkitekt

i had planned to apply to al&d, but ultimately decided as a us citizen that while the school was great and seemed to match my interests, there were plenty of other programs in the states that i was equally excited about. when i visited the school, it seemed like the studio spaces were overcrowded and i got the impression that they were expanding the student population without a proportional bump in resources. while it's a great deal for canadian citizens, the cost of being an international student can be astronomical, and i was concerned it could be difficult for my boyfriend to get legal residency and employment. after all of that, the $220 application fee sort of sealed the deal.

Mar 18, 08 11:24 am  · 
 · 
bristow

yes details please!

how and when for the GSD?!?!

Mar 18, 08 11:24 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

congrats stelina and untouchable!!

Mar 18, 08 11:25 am  · 
 · 
stelina

thank you thank you!!! congrats and best to all!

Mar 18, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 
skycaptain

i agree snark...although i wouldn't say the space is overcrowded -- they have more space than most top schools.

Mar 18, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 
skycaptain

Ahh. anyone have more details about GSD acceptances?

Mar 18, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
untouchable_1105

skycaptain, yea i got email then phonecall then package from GSD. I got email last thursday and phonecall and package yesterday.

I'm still waiting for the Yale, cornell, Upenn, MIT but still im goin to GSD

Thanks guys!!

Mar 18, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
bristow

ok to all looking for a glimmer of hope at the GSD

i spoke to someone at admissions yesterday and they hope to get the REST out no later in the mail by this friday

I clarified that yes, there are still some acceptances out there yet to be given out...it always still tends to go in waves although they do try and get them all out at once.....

Mar 18, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
skycaptain

anyone know anything about MIT?

Mar 18, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
skycaptain

thanks untouchable and congrats and thanks bristow. lol. gimmer of hope is good considering all i have is a wait-list offer right now.

Mar 18, 08 11:39 am  · 
 · 
skycaptain

i don't know why gsd wouldn't send all the emails out at once...i mean, i'm assuming it's a generic msg. they send to everyone - this is the same deal with columbia.

Mar 18, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
bristow

it is wierd

but the impression i get is that "waves" of acceptances is unavoidable

as discussions, narrowing of piles, etc take a while.

kin dof scary though bc does that mean if one were to get in this late in teh acceptant pool...

would you be one of those who just "narrowly" got in?

wouldnt be the biggest boost of confidence now would it....

Mar 18, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

My heart goes out to all the ppl without an acceptance yet. I was having a stroke before my Columbia acceptance... by now I'd be searching for a bottle of pills to swallow...JK

Mar 18, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

oh bris...cant think of it like that. if you're in you're in. plus, half the people probably got in for various, unmerited reasons that I will not mention.

Mar 18, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
ohmygosh

bristow, i don't think "narrowly" getting in would hurt my confidence at all. most important is getting in and consequently, the work you do while you are in school. a substantial part of the admissions process seems rather arbitrary anyway. when a school has over 400 applicants, i think being picked at all is pretty awesome -- order doesn't matter in the end.

Mar 18, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Workshop B

Started my morning with a fresh cup of rejection from UCLA MArch II.

Got into Pratt and still waiting for Berkeley and a rejection letter from GSD!

Mar 18, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
skycaptain

congrats druvius on getting into columbia. :P amazing!

Mar 18, 08 11:49 am  · 
 · 
skycaptain

hopefully the mail is here. going to check.

Mar 18, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Bris: it's like almost missing a bus, but JUST getting on.... At least you're along for the ride, unlike those poor bastards outside... (my apologies to those poor bastards outside)

Mar 18, 08 11:52 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

its cold outside

Mar 18, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

so buck, if you could go back... would you have applied to some mid-level schools?

Mar 18, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
cou2

I'd be happy just to be accepted... even if I was the last person to be accepted to a good program. Even being waitlisted wouldn't be bad at this point.

Mar 18, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hmm, good question. Cant say I wouldve. I mightve taken certain offers I was given but declined due to cockiness and believe in the fact that I could get into any ivy on merits alone. next year though, will be more-mid level schools. Not really mid level though, just lower-high (columbia, ucla, etc)

Mar 18, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

anyone care to guess about the Rice timetable... thinking here that if they only admit 12 acceptances might fly under the archinect radar?

Mar 18, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck,
you are really into rankings aren't you?

Mar 18, 08 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

no, i just wasnt into schools like columbia/upenn, cause in my mind, they were too one dimensional. princeton, my top choice, was 16th. and UC, a school I had no interest in was 2nd

Mar 18, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

yeah, that doesn't make any sense. it must be a personal/ego thing for you because people get into Columbia and not into Harvard. Some get into Yale and not UVa. Others get into MIT and not UT. it doesn't matter. i think that's misguided thinking

Mar 18, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

what? it has nothing to do with who gets in where or where they get into compared to other schools. It has to do, for me at least, with researching their work, faculty members, and overall direction of the program. because im not so interested in making glittery vaginas i wasnt interested in columbia. doesnt have shit to do with their selectivity.

Mar 18, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

is it my fault that schools with a multi-faceted approach to design and well balanced faculty happen to have low acceptance rates?

Mar 18, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I have to agree with smith..it is not a linear equation as to who they pick, or even how peoplE will turn out....reputations wort waver at these places anyway...after a couple years of watching things..I have to say is...

all my profs were right....ITS A CRAP SHOOT!

Mar 18, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

asbuckeye, sounds like your cockiness is gonna keep you out of school for a while

Mar 18, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hm, I guess you guys are all right. I must've been selecting schools based on rankings/my ego thusly wasting bounds of time/money. you caught me

Mar 18, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

also, applying to more places increases the chances of the right school selecting YOU. I assume the majority of us submitted generic portfolios... so in the end, the school the picks you. Why not choose after that?

Mar 18, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

you're right kramer, you're right

· 
Andrew Teng

... from a strictly strategic standpoint

· 
Andrew Teng

as for buck, we all have our own reasons for applying to whatever schools we are applying to. You dont need to justify your choices. For instance...anyone care about prestige value? I rest my case

Mar 18, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Asbuck, do you think that not having a portfolio or interest in of glittery, trendy or iconic work holds people back in the applications process? I dodn't really want to be one of those architects who twists a piece of metal into an odd shape, uses some fancy scanning machine to create a 3D model of it and then calls it a museum, school or library. (ok, I know it's a bit of exagetation) Not trying to bash all work done like this, but it's definately not what I want to do.

Mar 18, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

not so much prestige as time-tested. i was interested in programs that have always been/will always be good. and on the advice of undergrad professors, schools that arent as caught up with nowness. but I guess that makes me elitist/cocky.

Mar 18, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I dont think it holds you back cou2, no. I dont look down on that work at all either. its just as hard/interesting as any work out there. its just not my thing. and thusly, didnt craft school choices in that direction.

Mar 18, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I don't think school selection can make one "cocky"...but we all have trouble figuring this shit out...and so we might react to an unpredictable system is understandably confused.

Mar 18, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

If it's a crap shoot, I'd like to roll the dice as many times as possible...

Mar 18, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

yikes! archinect got prickly in a hurry.

personally i think it's important to be selective about what schools you apply to, whether that narrows it down to fifteen or two. it's not worth the time, money, or effort to apply to (or attend) a grad program that you're not 100% excited about, and if you don't make it on the first go 'round, you should absolutely reevaluate the way you present yourself in your applications and go for it again. this is a totally personal and individual process, and each of us is the only one who can say what school is the best place for us. the only time you run the risk of being too cocky is when you start to think anyone owes us admission - they don't.

Mar 18, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

i didnt mean to call asbuck cocky, he called himself cocky

Mar 18, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

sarcasm much?

Mar 18, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I need to learn to type one day...maybe after grad school.

Mar 18, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
d-train

this is better than daytime television!

Mar 18, 08 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I just dont like people making stupid blanket statements that are presupposing that Im stupid enough to pick something Im going to be spending thousands of dollars and several years on and that will craft the rest of my career/life, based on a list.

Mar 18, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

ff33 wasn't your list of schools similar to asbuck in terms of prestige/rankings?

i find it ridiculous for people to pass judgment on others based on whether an admissions committee gave a thumbs up or a thumbs down.
say someone got into all the schools they applied to - would that make him any better of an architect? if they got rejected from all, does it make them any worse?

i admire asbucks integrity to apply to only programs he was interested in, and not just throw his portfolio at every possible school out there and see what stuck. it may have yielded disappointing results, but i am willing to bet hed rather take a year off and work on his portfolio than pay a couple $100,000 and feel like hes not getting a worthwhile education.

stop being childish.

Mar 18, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

whoa. just went to lunch.

okay.

asbuck - first, if your reasoning is stronghold about applying to these schools, then you cannot and should not apply to any other school the following year. otherwise you risk contradicting what you're saying right now and ceding to the "next tier" of schools....so...just do whatever you have to do to get into Princeton next year.

seriously. as others have said before: don't compromise, right? but you might have to if you want an education.....

Mar 18, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Yes, well this was a first go at it. And based on the results, maybe next year I will need to revaluate my priorities and be slightly more realistic about it. Or, as you put it smith, there is always the "stay the course" rout I suppose. That's always great logic.

Mar 18, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: