Archinect
anchor

Los Angeles Holiday

WonderK

Where better to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day than in the City of Angels?

Been wanting to visit for a while and I came across a non-stop ticket online for only $139 round trip. Yes, round trip. Ricockulous.

Anyone up for a cocktail?

Dec 6, 06 11:52 pm
myriam

When is MLKJ day?

Dec 6, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

January 15. I arrive on Jan 12.

Dec 7, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I guess I should know that. Well I'm down for a drink before Jan. 15th.

Dec 7, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 
robust84

$139 from where, San Diego? $139 from New York won't even get me Pittsburgh.

Dec 7, 06 12:17 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Indianapolis.

Dec 7, 06 12:23 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha ha ha ricockulous! Nice! Where'd you hear that? Infectious Grooves?

Dec 7, 06 12:41 am  · 
 · 
garpike

WonderK please organize an LA meet up.

Dec 7, 06 12:49 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm doing my best....to bring my Welcome Wagon to the West....

Sorry I'm a nerd.

Dec 7, 06 12:56 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

So what then, Friday night? Saturday? Sunday? All of the above?

Dec 7, 06 12:57 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh nerds are most welcome here.

Dec 7, 06 12:58 am  · 
 · 

absolutamente!

Also, IOU one tour of my alma mater if you're still interested.

Dec 7, 06 12:58 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Well, I could find you a bike for the midnight bike ride Friday, but that may limit the Archinector turn out...

Maybe Saturday is best. Sunday's for breakfast... and not much else. Oh and I guess drinking at night.

Dec 7, 06 1:00 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Yeah same here. Tours abound. 3 universities, and I could probably find a way for you to tour our shitty universities to start.

Sorry fired up.

Dec 7, 06 1:01 am  · 
 · 

Sunday brunch w/ mimosas? That's always good.

But I'll go for pretty much anything involving alcohol. Yes, I'll warn you beforehand, I'm a bit of a lush.

Dec 7, 06 1:02 am  · 
 · 

garpike- which would those be? Are we talking LA-Trade-Tech-shitty, or just CSULA-shitty?

Dec 7, 06 1:03 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Hmmm.. know a good place rational? I have only been to the Overland Cafe for Mimosas. So so dangerous. I have two and next thing you know I am announcing "omelets for all!"

Where for Saturday's event? 4 years under my belt, and I can't come up with a good place that isn't related to saving money on beer or hanging out with people that appear to be Pennsylvanian (Eastern and Western).

Dec 7, 06 1:05 am  · 
 · 

That's actually exactly where I was thinking, gar. I live maybe a mile away from there, so it's what popped into my mind. I guess I don't know other places because I usually make mimosas for myself, not order them from restaurants.

Drinking Saturday night.... hmm. That's tough, depends on what part of LA the DubK wants to experience. I love the boardwalk and will just wander until there are margaritas calling my name from whichever bar has space, or frequently go to McCormicks (usually downtown for the SC folks, but the other one has a better bar) for the happy hours, Saddle Ranch serves drinks by the pitcher if you're into the Hollywood scene, and I remember the LA-archinect-meetup-that-failed was supposed to occur at Beechwood in Venice which sounded good. So I guess I'm saying, I'm up for anywhere!

Dec 7, 06 1:13 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Ha ha yeah a little less than a mile for me. I walked there the one and only time.

Hmmm... I have never had alcohol on the boardwalk. And my experience of Saddle Ranch 3 years ago was of free shots and blacking out - something that has never happened to me. Scared the shit out of me. But that is no reason to not return. In the same Sunset Strip area is the the Standard, which is much more relaxed than the downtown version. Ugh. Also Red Rock is on the strip. Is that what it's called?

We could do something corny like the Bonaventure hotel. Wonder could get a great $10 drink with a glass shaped like the hotel. Or shaped like CA. I want that one.

But I should mention I like dives.

Dec 7, 06 1:21 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Backing up. I think the Beechwood is a great idea. After touring the more inland areas, Beechwood is a great place to end the night. Though maybe a bit far for the mdler's of our group.

Dec 7, 06 1:22 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

and then you can always skating in pershing square, YAY!

Dec 7, 06 1:28 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

I meant you can go ice skating in perhing square.

Dec 7, 06 1:29 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Really? Yeah, I guess I have heard of that.

Dec 7, 06 1:32 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

until jan.15

Dec 7, 06 1:37 am  · 
 · 
myriam

I'm in for a Sat night thing, but I guess I couldn't drink *too* much, as I have to drive an hour home. boo. But I want to come. make it near the 405 please? or i guess the 5, but that's weirder/more difficult.

Dec 7, 06 1:40 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Well, myriam, I recommend you enjoy yourself. And no drunk driving! So in other words spend the night somewhere. No I am not suggestiing with me! You've had enough of that kind of talk today...

Maybe we could take over the Culver Hotel! That's where the Munchkins stayed during the filming of the Wizard of Oz.

Dec 7, 06 1:53 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

how about taking her to the whisky a go go to see some shitty unknown band?...get drunk at the whisky...if that get's old then go to universal citywalk (i realize that citywalk is not hip)...but that's the point...and there are lots of places to get drunk there and watch people...

are you guys into getting drunk at spots or is that too fratty? because runyon canyon has a nice view of hollywood and the sign and if everyone keeps it low profile then there are park benches there...bring food, wine, etc...cameras to keep you occupied if the conversation gets dry....daytime and nightime looks good...nightime might be cold so bring jackets (cold to me at least)...never done this but i was driving around aimlessly there a few months ago and it has a great view of hollywood...i said that already...

take her to the derby (swingers movie)...it's different now (they have punk rock bands now...wack!) but try to go on swing night...where all the swinging is happening...do they still have that?...haven't been there in years...

take her to all the non-hip places...and maybe have brunch at sunset junction or los feliz village for the hip...

Dec 7, 06 1:58 am  · 
 · 
myriam

ha! man, i bet there are some awesome hotel pictures of that...

I could always crash with a friend in Long Beach, I guess. Although it'd be kind of mean unless I invited him out with us. And he's not an architect. heaven forbid!

Dec 7, 06 1:58 am  · 
 · 
myriam

that's actually an awesome idea, about the canyon. the big plus there is that dear wonderk probably hasn't been outside at night in months. well not in a way that would be at all enjoyable.

i was weirded out last week when my mom suggested having a bbq for thanksgiving. i've been away too long, it seems.

Dec 7, 06 2:00 am  · 
 · 
garpike

dammson, you so hollywood-centric. I lived down the street from the sign for about 5 months. It's cool there. But now I am back to the West Side where I know my way around. Hmmm... this is a predicament. i guess we could give WK a tour.

myriam, LB is so far away. No drunk driving!

Dec 7, 06 2:06 am  · 
 · 
myriam

ha, you think LB is far away... I live in orange county! it'd be worth it to get out for some socializing, however.

take WK up to the lovell house. actually, does that place give tours? i've done a little pesky stalking, but couldn't figure out if it was ever possible to go inside. i would kill for a look in there.

Dec 7, 06 2:08 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Ok. I'd say Tiki Ti, but WK is only around druing the weekend. That place is much much better during the week.

So, I am down with Beechwood (pretty close to 405). But also down with the east stuff too.

Two nights of craziness?!?!

Dec 7, 06 2:09 am  · 
 · 
garpike

The keys are under the door mat. Shhhh...

Dec 7, 06 2:10 am  · 
 · 
myriam

ha ha ha, wouldn't that be awesome... i wrote this semester paper on that place, i feel like i know it like the back of my hand... except i don't. argh.

that tiki ti place looks AWESOME.

Dec 7, 06 2:12 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i understand the hollywood thing...but you have to go there as an outsider...i'm not immersed in that culture at all...but if you go there just to see then you can have fun there in your group

sorry to theorize hollywood...it's not appealing anymore after that...

Dec 7, 06 2:15 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

tiki ti...go early...

Dec 7, 06 2:15 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Then myriam you'll know where the keys are...

Tiki Ti is great!

Dec 7, 06 2:21 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

"toro...toro...toro..."....

blood and sand...gotta get WonderK to order it...and not let her know what it's about...

Dec 7, 06 4:28 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

^ in tiki ti...

Dec 7, 06 4:29 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

oh shit...i went to sci-arc...tour?...i can't be too intellectual though...i like surface level expressions...

Dec 7, 06 4:35 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i'll tell you when the building was built but that's all...maybe the idea of a freight depot becoming a school....you can see the old railroad tracks buried underneath dirt...like artifacts...connecting to the building...

shit i'm faded..

Dec 7, 06 4:45 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you make me nervous dubk...hahah

Dec 7, 06 4:46 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I love it when I go to bed and people figure out things for me. And then dammson shows up, and things get a little weird....

:o)

Ok, here's the scoop. I get in on the morning of Friday the 12th. Going to USC at some point that day, to see the school and introduce myself to the director of the program I am applying to there. rationalist, I think you work during the day so if we go back Saturday or Sunday, that's cool. I'd like to see your take on the place!

I am staying with my best friend in Santa Monica. Not terribly central but she's always up for going anywhere, and she's a partier. So she might have something to contribute to this debate as well, not sure, I haven't talked to her yet.

I leave Tuesday morning so Saturday, Sunday, and Monday night are all options. I say we start Saturday night and see how long we can go. No discussion of this weekend should take place without including brunch. I am the queen of brunch!

Most of the places you talked about all sound fine, however I am not going to Universal City Walk. I've wasted too much of my life there already.

I'm going to sit around and wait for you all to wake up now. I have a while.

Dec 7, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Damn, that price is from Indianapolis?!?

DubK, you can park at my house and I'll drive you to the airport. Seriously. Then I'll be able to get first-hand scoop on the weekend when I pick you up!!

Dec 7, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

somebody needs to drink a blue zombie for me if ya'll go to tiki ti's... man I miss LA real bad when it's zero degrees and a wind chill of -18 waiting for the bus... and I left LA?

Dec 7, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

lb if you don't mind taking me to the airport at 6:30 in the morning, then I will take you up on that offer. However I will understand if you don't want to.

Dec 7, 06 9:57 am  · 
 · 
evangelicalbunny

Dear Friends,

Why not meet rooftop at the Standard, or maybe even the W? Hotels are great places for making out with foreigners from the Mid West (or Middle East. Especially foreigners with tanned skin, beards, long hair and a surreal talent for turning water into wine, ooh)

I'll be there and so should you.

With Love,

eb

Dec 7, 06 10:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's a Friday morning, right? That would work. Come stay at our house Thursday night and I'll drag our asses out of bed to make a 6:30 flight. I'd love to see you.

Dec 7, 06 10:07 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

it got weird huh?..hahah.. i was drunk once more.... i blame it all on that...

Dec 7, 06 10:10 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

yay! Vacation in Indianapolis AND Los Angeles! I want to warn everyone that I will have my camera with me. I would like to get a picture of this mythical bunny once and for all.

Dec 7, 06 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Standard or dammson's random bit of wilderness sound fine, but it will be harder for us all to find the random bit of wilderness.

Standard one night and Beechwood another? That way we do one 405-centric thing for those coming up the Orange Crush.

I'm off to google Tiki Ti's...

Dec 7, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: