Archinect
anchor

suggestions for LA?

proto

going to be in LA for a couple days on a weekend (driving thru), can you recommend:

1) a neighborhood to stay? [close to experiential stuff...could be beach, Broad museum, or just great sunset cocktails etc. but just there for a little over a full day...we don't need to take in all-the-things...!]

2) must see/do for modern LA [architectural or foodie] on such a short stop?

(not our first visit, won't be our last...looking for what's current from locals)

Sep 11, 24 10:53 am
graphemic

Apologies I start to write something down and then get overwhelmed. Like three times now. 

Sep 12, 24 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
proto

doesn't have to be precious -- what would you do with a full day?

Sep 12, 24 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Taco trucks

Sep 12, 24 8:48 pm  · 
3  · 
greenlander1

one of my go to places for anything but their hot sauces and al pastor is a glorious combo https://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-guelaguetza-los-angeles

Sep 15, 24 3:39 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Consider Hollywood and West Hollywood. Grungy in places anymore, still there is the amazing Schindler House on Kings Road, and Wright's Hollyhock House on Hollywood Boulevard.  You could finish up the afternoon at the Griffith Park Observatory, which is a nice enough old building, but the view is spectacular. It looks to be clear tomorrow afternoon.  Just a couple of ideas... Have fun! 

Sep 13, 24 6:09 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Also in Weho is Cesar Pelli's many colored Pacific Design Center... Not a fantastic project, but certainly worth a drive-by.

Sep 13, 24 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Okay, now I'm just avoiding work.  Nearby at Fairfax and Wilshire is the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, a nicely renovated old department store with contemporary glass sphere addition in back. This is next to park La Brea, our own collection of Corbu-inspired apartment towers surrounded by townhouses. Again, not great, but worth a drive-by.  LACMA, the county's Museum of art, is next door though I don't know how much is accessible during all the reconstruction. Thanks, Zumthor!

Sep 13, 24 6:19 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

The Renzo Piano buildings are open, but I think the LACMA restaurant and bar have been closed and demolished to make way for the upcoming barren, unshaded plaza by Zumthor.

Sep 16, 24 4:22 pm  · 
1  · 

In January we stayed in Hollywood and I enjoyed it very much. I'll second citizen's suggestion of the drive up to Griffith Park Observatory. If you arrive late afternoon to either of the Getty museums you can likely get in even without a reservation and they are both worth seeing for both architecture and the views!

Sep 16, 24 12:30 pm  · 
1  · 
kjpn

Top 3:

Getty Center

Getty Villa

Huntington Gardens

If you love Renzo go see the LACMA and Motion picture Academy, otherwise I would do the first 3

if you're in Orange County go see the Morphosis museum, it's really nice

I had an amazing time seeing a concert at the Mt Wilson Observatory recently... highly recommend... as an architect you won't be disappointed, but you have to attend an actual concert

Sep 16, 24 12:52 pm  · 
2  · 
betonbrut

Start at One Wilshire blvd and take it all the way to Santa Monica. 

Sep 16, 24 1:25 pm  · 
3  · 

For an architect...stay somewhere along the Wilshire or Santa Monica Blvd. corridors, or downtown, specifically grand avenue. Most of the best designed museum's and architecture with a capital A lives there. The rest of the city consists of sad, soggy, stucco buildings (sorry guys, but it's true). A few notable exceptions: If you are not from the sunbelt, a trip to Palms and Culver City is interesting for no other reason to see the dingbat lifestyle (for Reyner Banham fans) and the Hayden Tract (Eric Owen Moss's playground). Also the museum of Jurassic technology, the center for land use interpretation, and the Wende Museum are there, 3 underrated gems.
I live near Venice beach, and that's fun, though can be a bit rough around the edges. The old remaining Abbot Kinney designed "Venice" buildings with colonnades and fake venetian details are interesting, as are the canals. 

Also, keep in mind, LA is huge. Way bigger than nyc by land area. It's impossible to see it all in two days. 

Sep 16, 24 2:40 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

good stuff, thanks!

(yeah, def not trying to be all- encompassing with this trip...we'll get back another time for more)

Sep 16, 24 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: