Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

chupacabra

like this ?
Mar 26, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

congrats a51, that is scary.

Mar 26, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

that video was so appealing... I feel all calm...

Mar 26, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Something like that, yes. Except for the one I send back in time to kill Frank Lloyd Wright's mother.

Just kidding.

Mar 26, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

babs, mit email at 2:34pm

bdf, if i choose penn over the gsd it pretty much would be for personal reasons, meaning proximity to family and the fact that my fiance has a generous scholarship offer from penn law...

the reality is that i would probably be happy at any of the schools. having no architectural background, i'm a little overwhelmed with trying to discern where to go and what the fundamental differences are... which is why i am visiting all the schools in the next week and a half. first impressions will be important.

for anyone just snooping around this thread in anticipation of next year, i have a little advise: do not apply to grad school together with your significant other. it is NOT FUN.

Mar 26, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Nicey,

Which time zone? Thanks again for the info. Just trying to figure out if it was a group notification.

Mar 26, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
jekle

ClemsonDnB-

I will be at Columbia's open house. I am taking a nice little vacation from work and spending the week in NY. Maybe those of use who will be there could go out for a drink that evening?

Mar 26, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
signoreburberry

Katze, are you currently a student at GSD? An alum?

Can you describe your exprience at GSD?

Mar 26, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

nicey, i think it's really odd that gsd would find your apps to be one of their strongest but you would get rejected from yale/columbia and wait listed at penn. and it's not like gsd is overly avant-garde that their design aesthetic/philosophy would be eschewed by the other programs. that's pretty bogus. if anything, wouldn't it be the other way around? i mean you have amazing acceptances, so it doesn't matter anyway. congrats!!! do you know where you are going?

Mar 26, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Sorry. Did I creep everyone out with the Terminator reference?

Mar 26, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Jbond

Have peeps accepted to Columbia received financial aid packages yet? They're totally squatting on mine or something.

Yale is giving me 20k to go there which will be hard to pass up.
Being poor has its perks.
Anyone know what it'd be like to spend 3 years in New Haven?

Mar 26, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

I see several Vespas parked in tuck-under parking near my building.... however, I have yet to see one on the road. What does that say? I'm afraid it might mean that many people think it's a good idea going in, but end up finding other modes of transport once they actually try it.

Or, all the vespa-owners work shorter hours than me, therefor allowing their cute little scooters to be parked every time I pass their abodes.

Mar 26, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

BTW - I just received my rejection from Harvard today.

So here's my status (MArch I, non-AP):

Harvard - Rejected
MIT - Unknown
Rice - Unknown
UT Austin - Accepted
UVa - Rejected
Yale - Rejected

Mar 26, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Jbond - cold?

Mar 26, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
jekle

Jbond

I am in the same situation, no financial aid package yet. But my scholarship amount was listed on the acceptance letter.

Mar 26, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

Yeahhhhh! Just got an acceptance to UIC (3 year) in the mail today! As interesting as it would be to live in Chicago, I'm pretty much certain I'm going to Cincinnati, but it's a nice boost to my self-esteem nonetheless.

Mar 26, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

a51abductee, congratulations ;)

Mar 26, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

How did you guys decide to go to Columbia already? I'm still deciding between there and Yale.

Mar 26, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
jekle

Chase,
Columbia was my first choice. I was rejected from Yale, accepted to Penn and Parsons, and still waiting on MIT. Unless MIT provides me with an amazing scholarship, Columbia is it. I liked Yale's projects, but I feel that Columbia would be more challenging for me personally. Plus you can't beat the location and the great professors.

Mar 26, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Got the GSD rejection letter today

Mar 26, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Sorry to hear it cp. Can you give us your summary?

Mar 26, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I just posted it on the other thread. The 2007 Accepted one, or whatever its called

Mar 26, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

o.k. I'll check it out.

Mar 26, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Here it is again

Harvard - Rejected
Yale - Rejected
Syracuse - Accepted AP + scholarship
UCLA - Accepted
Rice - Unknown
UT Austin - Unknown

Mar 26, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

me too cp...and I feel shitty.

Why do I feel so shitty? I knew it was a long (if not impossible) shot. I new my friend with almost identical stats got in, and so, in the name of diversity, I would not be accepted. I knew it wasn’t even my first pick. Most importantly, I got into some great programs- some better suited for me- so why am I so incredibly bummed? I think it's cause I never thought I had a chance and when my friend got in I thought- hmmm maybe?

Anyway, now it's time to focus on the good. I GET to choose between UCLA, Cincinnati, UT Austin, Syracuse, and Penn. I should be more grateful.

Congrats to all that got good news today and I'm sorry to those who didn't, but I am sure we will all end up where we are suppose to.

Now, even though I still haven’t heard from UW Seattle….it’s time to get on to the business of deciding…

Mar 26, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

err *Knew*

Mar 26, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jbond

Chase-

jekle is echoing my thoughts on Columbia's perks

It's still going to be a tough decision between Yale and Columbia. Ultimately though if Columbia doesn't cough up more cash they'll make my decision for me. Kinda sucks that it sometimes comes to that.

Mar 26, 07 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

accepted to sci-arc. yay for me :-) i guess i'm destined to stay in LA.

Mar 26, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Jbond

Chase-

jekle is echoing my thoughts on Columbia's perks

It's still going to be a tough decision between Yale and Columbia. Ultimately though if Columbia doesn't cough up more cash they'll make my decision for me. Kinda sucks that it sometimes comes to that.

Mar 26, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Jbond

sry for the double post- it's stormy out and the internet made me do it

Mar 26, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Congrats Clairito! Enjoy the quarter mile school!

Mar 26, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Sorry to hear that you are bummed WhatToDo. You have a great list of schools to choose from. I honestly don't care in the least bit about any of the rejections I got. I never had a top pick going into this whole application process, which is good I guess cause I'm not broken hearted or anything. I am perfectly happy with Syracuse and after visiting all the schools it was easily the one I was most excited about. So I am very glad I got in there.

Mar 26, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

I think the price tag is making my decision for me. Plus I'm a newbie to the architecture world and it sounds like UCLA will be better able to prepare me for work afterwards. We'll see. I figure I might as well go to both their open houses and check them out again.

Must say it feels nice to get an acceptance after a series of rejections (real and implied… GSD I'm looking at you)

Mar 26, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
fuzzy_atelier

congratulations a51abductee!!! very good news indeed! :)

Mar 26, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

congrat clairito! I just got an email from SCI-arc, accepted too!! :o

Mar 26, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

congrats to all!

Mar 26, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
haano

I was just admitted to Sci-Arc as well.

Mar 26, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Congratulations to everyone!

I've gotta get off the thread for awhile. Need to finish some work so they don't fire me. I have to keep my job for at least another week.

Mar 26, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
crispyFoods

Nicey—

Thanks for the reply! I can rest easy knowing that I'm in the postal service's experienced hands. errr something…

Mar 26, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

WOOO HOOOOO...I just got the email for Sci-Arc's accpetance!!!!!!

Mar 26, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

Well I got equal (and paltry) cash from both Yale and Columbia - so that won't affect my decision. People keep telling me Yale is better, but that might be just because it has the overall school prestige that Columbia doesn't quite have. Perhaps Columbia has as good as or better of a program. At least, I hope so, because I really am skeptical about being happy in New Haven for 3 years... I want a big city.

Mar 26, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

hey guys - congrats to all
just recieved my sci arc acceptance too.

see you at the open house.

Mar 26, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
magnusAlexander

to the sci-arc acceptees... are you all M.Arch I? I was waitlisted for M.Arch II... and it stings to think that I was told that "there are no remaining spots in the program," yet everyone and their mother is being accepted... sorry, I'm a little bitter =/

Mar 26, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

MArch I

Mar 26, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
magnusAlexander

any other M.Arch II's on the waitlist?

Mar 26, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
magnusAlexander

I should first congratulate all those who were accepted, and also clarify that my bitterness stems more from the fact that I was rejected from Columbia at the same time... I started the day off with a blown tire on my bike. As I walked into work late, I literally thought to myself "this is probably a day for rejection." I love self-fulfilling prophecies...

Mar 26, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

So sorry magnus....I had one of those "nothing can go right" days too! (Must be the fact that it's Monday) Congratulations to all you crazy SCI-Arc people and everyone else who i didn't get to congratualte earlier!

Mar 26, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

apparently sci-arc loves broccoli too, m.arch 1 = accepted

still waiting on ucla, but i have serious doubts at this point. perhaps my portfolio fell behind the file cabinet (or was thrown there).

congrats to all you other thread diehard acceptees! ...and everyone else too, no need to be exclusionary.

Mar 26, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

magnus - i'm M.arch 1. sorry to hear about your day...tomorrow can only get better...good luck with sci-arc! you never know, you still have a chance.

Mar 26, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Well, I'm pretty sure I won't be going to SCI-Arc, so you waitlist people have at least one free slot!

Mar 26, 07 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: