Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Clairito

aww. thanks www.

Those prices seem right. I'm trying to find a 2 bedroom for $1600 on the west side. I'm thinking culver city might be the way to go. I suspect that that area is just going to get more fun in the next 3 years although right now there are pockets that are sorta trashy/boring.

Mar 26, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

mctwist, aside from visiting the planning open house on the 11th, and visiting with a few old friends, I plan on doing what I do in Boston: going out to dance to soul music and drink cocktails! la de da DOO BE DOOOO *saunter spin shimmie*

Mar 26, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

squaredavis,

ic, so which area you'll be focus in?! i am thinking to apply for MDesS in a year or two. i am interested in theory/ urbanism kind of direction..

Mar 26, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

bubble: culver is right about halfway in between. East of Venice Beach, west of West Adams. Look around yourself, but I'll be sure to post for you when the bf and I get the move date and such figured out and the place is actually on the market.

One of the keys to LA housing is that anyplace that has the money to post on rent.com or apartments.com or the like is too expensive. Craigslist is the way to go, and you've just got to weed through the shit to find the good ones.

Mar 26, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

kristen, i would have gone, but the plane tickets were 500+ so i just decided to go the next week. Thanks for the help.

Mar 26, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

Clairito- also try Palms and Mar Vista. They're not quite as fun as Culver City, but can be a tad cheaper at some parts.

Mar 26, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
squaredavis

bubble,

housing and urbanization. right now looking at spontaneous and intentional queer retirement communities, sense of communtiy, place and self identity, etc. I will let you know how it goes!

Mar 26, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

Hey everyone, just got my MIT email:

Dear Dedalus,

Congratulations! Your application to the Masters of Architecture program in the Department of Architecture at MIT has been accepted.

A letter containing details of our offer, including scholarship information, has been mailed today. If you have not received it by one week from today, please notify me immediately.

The following website containing information about financial planning, medical insurance, housing, and visa/immigration records, etc., is now available on the web at http://web.mit.edu/admissions/graduate/planning_guide/

It is critical that you complete the forms provided on the website and return them to the appropriate MIT offices by the deadlines listed on the forms. Please let me know if you cannot access the site or download the forms.

Please come to our Department Open House on April 5.
More information on the Open House is available on this webpage:
http://architecture.mit.edu/calendar/open_house/

Below is a brief reply form specifically for our Department. Please let us know your reply as soon as possible.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Darren Bennett
Graduate Coordinator

Maybe shouldn't have posted the whole thing in here but thought it might be of interest to everyone. Good luck!

Mar 26, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

thanks rationalist. i think i'm definately going to have a broad search. My roomate is working in santa monica and has dreams of living near the beach. i told her we'd try...

Mar 26, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Hey Dedalus,

When did you get your e-mail? Was it at the same time CCCP got his?

Thanks.

Mar 26, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

wow Dedalus. congrats. way better than the berkeley e-ject email.... bastards.

Mar 26, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Oh, and congratulations!

Mar 26, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, CCCP and Dedalus!

Mar 26, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

baboomba-

I see where you are going with this. They would have sent them all at once, right? All the acceptances, right? Why wouldn't they?

Mar 26, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Doy, congratulations!

I'm bad at that.

Mar 26, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

jekle,

He said it was the best option because they are much nicer than anything you could rent in similar price ranges. He also said they are generally close to campus and you dont have to go through the craziness which is the NYC renting process. I am going to look at craigslist too, but right now I don't think there is anyone renting things as far off as august. I would be looking for a sublet most likely, as I don't think I could afford all the costs of renting myself. Will you be at the open house?

Mar 26, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

baboomba - came in at 3:30 EST. MArch 1 AP. Thanks!

Mar 26, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Thanks. So yours came in later, but it was for AP. Well, maybe they're sending them out one at a time. We'll just see if anyone else gets one what time they get it.

Mar 26, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Dedalus -

Didn't you say you had a chum in admissions? Does your chum know if they're sending them out in batches or all at once? I tried to call, but Darren Bennett is obvs not having any of my noise brigade.

Mar 26, 07 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

Wellywellywell - I was told that they were sending them out as a group. Darren is elusive these days. I can ask and the guy there and see if I can find out more for you.

Mar 26, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Dedalus,

Thank you, that is nice of you. Regardless, the hope is gone. Goodbye Boston, it's been a swell 7 years!

Mar 26, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

squaredavis, sounds very interesting, good luck ;)

Mar 26, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Okay, I emailed MIT admissions, and here was the (surprisingly prompt) reply:

Hi Sofya,

They were sent out individually. Some have not yet been sent.

Unfortunately I am unable to be more specific.

Thanks,
xxxx

Mar 26, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Are you serious? If so, that is great news! Please don't tell us you're just screwing with us.

Thanks for the information.

Mar 26, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

wow... their prompt reply just makes me want to go even more. damn.

Mar 26, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

So, no MIT email for me...an official Harvard rejection with the signatures photo copied (boo) heh...and acceptance to Rice with 1/2 off tuition and AP...I am so f*%ing stoked.

Mar 26, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

wow! congrats jason! i wish i could get all of my mail at once. i feel like that would be much less painful.

Mar 26, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Jason,

How did you get the Rice notification?

Thanks,
Boomer (the sexy short version of Baboomba)

Mar 26, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

mail. regular envelope - which scared me as I was sure it was a rejection like Harvard, but it was extra fat...and filled with joy...and butter, which made for a mess.

Mar 26, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

jason- so how do you feel now about UT vs. Rice?

Mar 26, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Jason,

high fives! (and boo to the u-know-who!)

Boomer,

That's kinda hot, that name. Also, no, I'm not screwing around. I really did get that reply. You see, I used to work at one of MIT's art museums, and so I have an mit.edu email address kicking around. I decided to use that, hoping to fool them into thinking I was already one of them! And it clearly worked!

Mar 26, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

After looking over UT's program in critical detail, I just don't think it is for me. It seems very Beaux Arts, differing years taking studios together - not my thing. Rice is more design oriented and has better tech facilities and focus...and the 12k in tuition support is very nice too. UT gave me nada.

Mar 26, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, Jason! I've always heard good things about Rice's program.

Mar 26, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Big congratulations, Jason! I only hope I am as lucky when I check my mail tonight.

Mar 26, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Best of luck to everyone still waiting..and congrats to those who have been accepted in the few hours I was gone.

Mar 26, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

So I just called Pratt to when they would be sending out letters (and possbily my status) and the admissions woman told me that they would be making decisions for the next 3 to 4 weeks!!!!!!! What!?!

Mar 26, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

oops, that was supposed to say "...to see when they would be..."

Mar 26, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

That's weak...maybe they were just saying that due to the high volume of calls asking the same thing? just a thought, cruel if true though.

Mar 26, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

I feel a strong urge to call Pratt again after reading that, to see whether they have actual times/answers, or whether each person just makes shit up on the spot.

Mar 26, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Holy shit, Kalyani... Pratt's administrative side seems incredibly dysfunctional. That's just crazy.

Mar 26, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i say we all call pratt at the same time. if they want to throw stuff like that at us, we can fight back!

Mar 26, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Nell Lime

To those who are still waiting on UO- I called them today, concerned since their information said they would notify the MArch II program applicants by mid March, and I hadn't heard anything yet.
When I called, they told me I was accepted over the phone, and told me that they had mailed out the acceptance letters on Friday, so any day now.

Mar 26, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

718 636 3514

Mar 26, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, Nell!

· 
laurilan

well, obviously not at the exact same time... we'd all end up with busy signals, but i think you can get where i'm going with this.

· 
archrise

An informant tells me I have a thin envelope from GSD waitng for me at home... :/ argh.

Mar 26, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

staggered in an organized assault.

congrats Nell.

Mar 26, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

congrats!

exactly, jason. heh. they'll never know what hit 'em.

Mar 26, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Yeah let's do it! That's BS! Perhaps I should have called the architecture department directly? I dialed admissions first and figured that they would redirect me to the arch dept if need be (like some other schools have done in the past).

Mar 26, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

laurilan- we'll have to wait until tomorrow morning. I just tried eight minutes ago, and was reminded by an answering machine that the admissions office closes at 5pm. Looked at the clock- 2pm over here, so 5pm (or is it 6pm? I'll memorize my time zones w/ daylight savings one of these days) on the dot there.

Mar 26, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: