Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

yes, the architecture department will know more specifically. I'm suprised that admissions gave you such a straight answer- they've always told me that only the department knows for sure when replies will go out. Maybe that's why they gave you such a broad timeline, to accomodate the tardiest department (please, don't let it be communication design or architecture!)?

Mar 26, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i am so there. it's 5pm here - east coast.

Mar 26, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i mean, considering they already sold our information to loan corporations, i really think they deserve it.

Mar 26, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

I agree. 11:30am east coast time tomorrow, then?

Mar 26, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

that works for me! i'll be ready - cell phone charged and in hand. well, i'm heading home now - hope everyone has a good evening.

Mar 26, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
birdman

are we just waiting on columbia rejections now? AP people too?

Mar 26, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Just got rejections from harvard and columbia.... whatev i didnt want to go anyway...I did want to get in so i could tell the story how i turned down the GSD

Mar 26, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

I do wish they'd send out rejections first (or at least at the same time as the acceptances). This system where all your friends get good news and rejoice while you sit around thinking "well maybe... I mean probably not... but maybe?" is no good.

Mar 26, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ok, first off, kristin_kai, I am VERY open to the offer of being your roommate. In fact that sounds fantastic. However, I have to finish reading the thread, be back in a few....

Mar 26, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

I agree, i really never lost hope for berkeley until i got the email. I am still recovering from that one. I think going to UCLA im going to spend less money and do some really nice work...

Mar 26, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

i'm with you mctwist!

Mar 26, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ok, secondly, congrats to Nell and others who heard positive news from MIT. I have some news of my own.....received in email just minutes ago:

"Dear WonderK,

I am happy to inform you on behalf of the Graduate Programs Committee that you are admitted to the Master of Science (Sustainable Design) program at Carnegie Mellon University, in Fall 2007.

In order to reserve your place in the program you are required to respond in writing and include your non-refundable deposit of $500 prior to April 13, 2007. This fee will be applied towards your tuition at the time you enroll for classes.

blah blah blah

Sincerely,
Director of Architecture"

They said I would be getting my real letter shortly.....unless it includes a scholarship offer, I think my choice is pretty clear at this point. Plus they want to know by April 13! People need to give me more time than that....

Mar 26, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Congratulations AGAIN WonderK! Man, I wish I had that many acceptances. Sh*t. Looks like I'll have ONE.

So is that it for MIT? Anybody else get in? That was sort of like a disappointing fireworks show (nothing against those who got in).

Mar 26, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, WonderK!

Mar 26, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

I hate the ones that want a two-week turnaround, when they've taken months on your application. Damn, that's a pretty negative response to an acceptance on my part though- let's try this again.

Congratulations, WonderK!

Mar 26, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Yay WonderK!

Mar 26, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

I just got my GSD rejection letter today. Yay! Just waiting for pratt now, but it looks like I'm going to Michigan. :D Congrats to everyone else.

Mar 26, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

thanks gang. You guys are so nice.

I have to tell you, I was at this meeting today, and I got bored, so I started calculating my estimated expenses in general, and compared with my scholarship offer, cost of living, etc. It scared the bejesus out of me.

I saw somebody on the page before mention getting a scooter for LA. Is this really feasible? Because I am liking this idea very much.....

Mar 26, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

congrats WonderK. And yes, I think with the LA weather and wanting to avoid freeways in large part you could easily use a scooter there...wear a helmet!

Mar 26, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

awww.... what a downer.

Mar 26, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

brightside- we're organizing a telephone assault on Pratt's admissions department. Tomorrow, 11:30am east coast time. Demand to know when they'll get their asses in gear and let us in!

Mar 26, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
magnusAlexander

also rejected from Columbia.... and waitlisted for SCI-arc
...what are the chances of being waitlisted for GSD? I'm also waiting to hear back from UCLA (MArch 1), anyone heard anything from them recently?

Mar 26, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

for those of you applying university housing, have you decided where you want to go already? i wonder if i can still get housing if i submit applications after i go to the open houses.

Mar 26, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Damn Jason!! Rice with 1/2 tuition paid. Thats awesome! Congratulations. So that means tuition is only like $9K a year. Pretty reasonable.

Mar 26, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
autonomous

wonderk, maybe we should follow rationalists', etc lead and call CMU tomorrow--- all two of us...

Mar 26, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Oh well. No MIT for me I guess. Too bad. I'm still attributing it to my boss intentionally sabotaging my app with a shitty rec. I never should have asked him. Should have known better.

Of course it might have also had something to do with my shitty undergrad GPA. But, c'mon. That was 15 years ago. Also, my outstanding GRE should have negated that.

I know. I know. It's all about the portfolio anyway.

Fuck it. Time to drink. At least I got into UT.

Mar 26, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

It is a good school Baboomba...nothing to sneeze at...no MIT for me either. oh, well...it was highly unlikely that I would move to Boston anyway.

Mar 26, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

hey baboomba, did you get a rejection or are we just going with the theory that they're done admitting this late in the day?

· 
wellywellywell

GET. THIS:

not one....but TWO rejection letters from the architecture department at Columbia. I mean, COME ON! Granted, the second (later dated) one is asterisked with the note "This letter pertains to your application for Master of Architecture ONLY"...because I applied for planning, too....but OY VEY, two letters in one day? Why'd they have to string me along like this, anyway? Just give me the news already!

I'm not taking it to heart though....'cos my heart is riding a Lambretta right into an art deco apartment in West Hollywood.

WonderK-

All my friends in LA have said that a scooter is a good idea: efficient, easy to park, cheaper than a car. If you're not looking for vintage like I am, then it's even MORE affordable.

· 
haano

is there any acceptance left at mit march1?

Mar 26, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Just assuming they're done admitting. Them and GSD both.

Mar 26, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

yeah i think so too

Mar 26, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

interesting day for me:

-accepted to mit
-rejected to columbia
-waitlisted at penn

penn is a bit of a bummer. i like philly.

only remaining school is pratt.

looking at my list is absurd--admissions is a crap shoot!

again, i'm m.arch 1, non-ap

gsd - accepted
mit - accepted
risd - accepted
yale - rejected
parsons - accepted
columbia - rejected
pratt - ?
princeton - rejected
penn - waitlisted
michigan - accepted

absurd.

Mar 26, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Nicey,

Did you get the MIT e-mail? If so, when?

Thanks,
Baboomba

Mar 26, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

nicey - that is a really nice looking list.

Mar 26, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

autonomous/+i, maybe you missed my post earlier. Scroll up a bit.

I am posting this because the thought makes me happy:

Mar 26, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
autonomous

ah, sorry

Mar 26, 07 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
autonomous

oops, i meant sorry for not scrolling up far enough but CONGRATS on the acceptance, and subsequent grad school decision :)

Mar 26, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

ha ha thanks.

Ok, this is ridonculous. Need....to walk....away....from the computer......

Mar 26, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

"want to play a game?"

Mar 26, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

?

Mar 26, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

nicey-

Sorry you only got waitlisted at Penn, but it looks like you have other choices.. Out of curiosity, if you got in, would you choose it over GSD or any of your other schools? Why?

Mar 26, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

movie war games

staring at a computer so long it talks back to you...ok, now I must walk away.

Mar 26, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Nothing in the mail for me today from either GSD or Columbia. Given that my past two rejection letters arrived a day later than most other people's, I'll assume I'll have letters waiting for me in tomorrow's mail.

I did, however, get my long-awaited financial aid refund check from DePaul. I can buy nasal spray now!... I think I'm actually more excited about the check than am about any prospective admissions letters.

I also got a letter from Mansfield, MA where the address on the envelope was hand-written. Curious, since I don't know anybody in Mansfield, MA who would send me a hand-written letter. Maybe some GSD professor wanting me to be his highly-overpaid research assistant, and his letter somehow arrived before my official GSD acceptance package?

Not quite... It turned out to be an honest-to-goodness chain letter. My spam filter is constantly loaded with chain emails, but I've never gotten a real chain letter delivered via postal mail before. I thought those had gone the way of rotary phones, hardline drafting, and deconstructivism. I guess some scammers refuse to keep up with the times. I have to admit, though, compared to the usual Nigerian bank scam letters, this guy's command of the English language was impeccable. Truly a lost art.

Oh well, time to cash my check and get some food.

Mar 26, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

If I only get one acceptance out of six, I will take my revenge on the world of architecture. Remember me when I hit the cover of Fortune.

Baboomba is the code word.

Mar 26, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
fuzzy_atelier

congratulations Squaredavis on the MdesS acceptance. :)

Mar 26, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

An architect on the cover of Fortune. That would be pretty amazing.

Mar 26, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

you mean developer ;) ?

Mar 26, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

The machines will do the developing.

Mar 26, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
a51abductee

For anyone interested, I received my acceptance package to the GSD MDesS program today. What actually came in my mailbox today was a GSD publication and letter of congratulations. The main acceptance package had been sitting uncollected in my apartment complex office since last week (postmarked March 16th). And here I had almost given up! The lesson: there's still some hope left until you actually have the rejection letter in hand.

Hope to see you there, squaredavis, I am H/T focus.

Mar 26, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: