Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

chupacabra

Yes, but not necessarily construction methods of today, but conceptual ones...for instance Peter Testa (who I love) and the idea of carbon fiber as structure that can have all electrical contained within the structure since it is conductive...interesting ideas for sure. Tom Wiscombes work is also very interesting, but very conceptual...

Mar 26, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
+i

in other words, i wouldnt negate an entire school or program because it focuses on conceptual work: but you have to know where you want to take architecture: if you are concerned with licensing and being ready for a firm when you graduate, you may look into other schools that focus more on that, or look for outside sources while you are attending a conceptually-based school

Mar 26, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
+i

peter testa is fantastic... it takes innovative architects to push the profession to the next step... his stuff is conceptual RIGHT NOW... but in a few decades (or less) it may not be anymore.

Mar 26, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

I'm the same jasoncross.

35, serious as f@#$ about getting in and designing and getting my degree. I have no time nor patience for partying.

Besides, most college students have no clue what real partying is anyway, at least not how its done in a big city.

Mar 26, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

wonderk, i was actually talking about some of your other comments from various threads. some of your editorial architectors should really start a blog together. one can only take so much gradspeak, but you guys make it fun to read :)

Mar 26, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Peter Testa is my biggest draw to Sciarc...really amazing work and articulate about it as well...not a ton of words covering up random slick graphics...but instead, very powerful ideas.

Mar 26, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Also wes jones, although his website is very 1996 trying to be something unique and different.

Mar 26, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
+i

wonderk- didnt mean to be sneaky :) i stay signed in at work and also at home because im that obsessed with archinect... no, not really, i just forgot my password one too many times.

Mar 26, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
+i

jasoncross, if i send you my thesis book could you get peter testa to sign it? ;)
jk, although i did some research on his carbon skyscraper which was very inspiring...

Mar 26, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

<b>"I just do not want to share studio experience with those who, more than likely, are still going to be in "it's UT, its friday and I am ready to party" phase."<\b>

Jason, you couldn't be more right about the school! Even though I'm no longer attending UT, I still receive the weekly "Friday night bar invitation after studio" e-mail. (However, I still think it's a great program).

Mar 26, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Kalyani,

That is my thought exactly. I know it will be a good program for anyone who asserts themself (as with most schools though) - but I would like to be in an arena where design is a priority and not partying; And with such a college town as Austin and any age undergrad...I can't imagine that would be the case.

Thanks for the input.

Mar 26, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I saw Peter Testa somewhere on the MIT website last year...and so then I applied there...thinking maybe there is more in store simlar to his work @ MIT...I even emailed him and then found out that he moved to the West... like two years ago...MIT needs to update their website , I think, unless they are cashing in on him still. ......maybe I shoud have considered SCI ARC this round? I like weird shit.

..also , one of my professors came out of the BT program @ MIT....he is a genius...but not a designer.

Mar 26, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

Recieved my GSD rejection in the mail today :( oh well, makes my decision easier... Columbia here i come!

Mar 26, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
a51abductee

squaredavis, thanks for the GSD MDesS response and congratulations!

Mar 26, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Jbond

I got the thin envelope from Harvard GSD today. I applied for AP.

I suppose that's what I deserve considering I submitted my application 5 minutes before the deadline from an airport terminal having formatted all my supporting documents in notepad.

So it's Yale or Columbia for this one.

Mar 26, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Sorry to hear it clemson and Jbond - although seriously - nice back up schools :-)

Today is the first day when I really don't want to check my mail. I'm 100% confident that it can only bring pain and rejection. Clearly the only solution is to never go home again.

Mar 26, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

clearly

Mar 26, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
+i

i hope youre wrong about all thats left is rejections...
i wonder if that means theyre all out of funding, too

Mar 26, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I would like to declare that i changed my mind about Grad School...I had a revelation this weekend after dieing of Anticiaption on Friday...It all happened when I wrote a list of things to do as a back up plan...the list included finish my IDP , travel around Europe and Thailand, and buy a nice car. The list was so sweet that I realsie I was crazy for even getting worked over no acceptances so far. I now hope I don;t get in anywhere so my life can be as cool as the list I made.

Mar 26, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

has anyone whos been accepted to columbia applied for housing yet? i just sent mine off last night... my boss went to columbia and said its best to live in their housing. are the rest of you thinking of living in columbia's housing or looking for something off campus?

Mar 26, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Kristin, et al,

I'll be in L.A. from the 7th to the 12th. I have fams there so I'll be staying with them in Torrance, but in the event that I end up at UCLA in September, then let's talk roommates!

Also, if I move to LA I'm getting a Lambretta. Boston and your 3 months of sunshine be damned!

Mar 26, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

clemsondnb: did you receive a housing package in the mail? or you just digged up application info from their web.

Mar 26, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

Krisin,

Thanks for the info, I didnt know that. I have an address in SC that I used though, so hopefully I'll be okay.

Vapor,

A letter about housing was included in the admissions letter. It gave a link to a website, a user name and password, and some personal identification number you have to use to apply.

Mar 26, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

I already applied to AND was accepted by the archintectors' myspace group, but, le sigh, you can peruse my profile anyway:

www.myspace.com/sofya

Mar 26, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
jekle

ClemsonDnB-

I am looking for housing at Columbia as well. Why did your boss say their housing is best? b/c of price? I am completing their housing application, but I am also going to keep an eye on craigslist just in case. A former student said she found a studio at Columbia thru craigslist.

Mar 26, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
deadletter

Just got an email acceptance from MIT.
Also: I did my undergrad at Columbia and will be moving out of a very nice, reasonably priced 1-bdrm apartment near the Columbia-Pres Medical Center (Washington Heights) this summer. It's 20 min by bike or Subway to Avery. If there is anyone heading to Columbia this Sept who currently lives in Washington DC and is interested in swaping apartments with the possibility of taking over my rent stabilized lease in exchange for an equally good deal, please contact me off this discussion group at [email protected] My partner will be in DC on fellowship for the first 2 years I'm in grad school and I'll be commuting from where ever I decide to go to school.
Thanks
cc

Mar 26, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

CCCP,

Exactly what time did you get your MIT acceptance e-mail? Was it for MArch I?

Thanks.

Mar 26, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
deadletter

From Darren R. Bennett at 1:26 EST
M.Arch 1

Mar 26, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

f&*ck! Anybody else get one? I didn't.

Mar 26, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Oh yeah. Thanks for the info, CCCP.

Mar 26, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

dang, me neither. baboomba

Mar 26, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

wow! congrats CCCP! i know a lot of us are lusting after that program.

also this is me: http://myspace.com/clairito

don't judge me because my myspace isn't cool... i'm sure by the end of graduate school i'll be much hipper.

Mar 26, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

MIT is an important part of me becoming a billionaire. If it doesn't happen, I don't know what I'll do.

Mar 26, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

I know I shouldn't expect a response from UW for several more days, because who means monday morning when they say 'sometime next week'? But I can't help but think that if they really wanted me, they'd know it by now.

Mar 26, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

ohh, kristin, the 'le sigh' was more about my mild sense of shame at name-dropping the SPACE, than anything about you!

Mar 26, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Damnit! Where's my MIT e-mail? Sh*t!

Mar 26, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

I would also like to point out how hoppin' the thread just got on account of the whiff of MIT....

Mar 26, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

squaredavis, how many years of experience do you have?! in order to be a MDesS AP?!

Mar 26, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, I'm sorry CCCP. Congratulations on the MIT acceptance!

Hopefully, they're sending them out one at a time. I doubt it though.

Mar 26, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

there should be a very large one bedroom in Culver City opening up in mid-august. It could come furnished for a negotiable price, if any of you people moving to LA are interested... = )

Mar 26, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

We're hungry for blood.

aAthough I must admit, the $9k a year price tag at UCLA has had a calming effect on me.

Mar 26, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

rationalist: are rents for very large one-bedrooms in Culver comparable to, say, rents in Boston? The average for a one-bed in Boston is probably $1000-1600.

Mar 26, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Clarito: the cutest myspace picture ever! CUTENESS!!

Mar 26, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

welly- seems like it. Culver City is one of the cheaper sections of LA though. I pay 1175, but see the apartment down the hall advertised for 1350, and have been told repeatedly that I'm getting a great deal. Anywhere downtown, add a few hundred to the pricetag, or take off a couple hundred from the floorplan.

Mar 26, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
squaredavis

bubble,

three years work (not architecture) after undergrad (also not in architecture) then three years at an architecture phd program that started to feel not quite right. I have general research experience plus architecture-related research experience from grad school.

Mar 26, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

kristen, i am visiting the next week 8-11 april... will you let me know how the open house goes?

welly, i am going out when you are going to be there...do you have anything speficic that you plan on doing?

Mar 26, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

I guess people are pretty used to commuting in LA, so I imagined I would be living as far as a half hour away and still be considered as living near the campus.

It's a good thing I have a bike! How is Culver, anyway? I want someplace with a good local music scene!

So, um, what if I just called MIT? I mean, my boss is sitting right next to me, and she applied to MIT a few years back and just called the dang department for her rejection.

Thing is, I lost my voice this weekend and I sound like crap-ola.

Mar 26, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

rationalist: i am in LA but i am finding another one bedroom apartment to move to, where are you in Culver City, closer to Downtown or the ocean?!

Mar 26, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I just emailed them..I am sure they hate me now.

Mar 26, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

i am planning on living in north manhatten beach or el segundo next year. there is something about going home and seeing the ocean that puts everythign in perspective at the end of the day. its also really easy to live by the 105 to get you to ucla in 20 min

i lived there a year ago, and cant wait to be back

Mar 26, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: