Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

designbydesign

baboomba. there you go. Overqualified. You know you are good. but Yale just couldn't handle your love. Too much to handle...

Mar 22, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

dbyd...have you been drinking?

Mar 22, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I don't know which one was you, but I was guy with Yung Ho Chang's hand on his shoulder laughing at the jokes.

Mar 22, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

brown noser!..hope it works :-)

Mar 22, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

If calls don't happen until Monday ...its going to be a long weekend

Mar 22, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Damn long weekend.

Mar 22, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

O.k. I'm leaving work now. Going straight to the mailbox. Good luck everyone.

Mar 22, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

me too..baboomba..
Good Luck!

Mar 22, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
designbydesign

damn it.... can't type.

why even bother to Put someone on the Wait List?

Mar 22, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
designbydesign

how many people are on this kinda wait list.

i mean usually how many

Mar 22, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Just got accepted to Cal Berkeley with AP. But, I too would like to hear from MIT...I have been interested in the Media Lab work for a very long time.

Mar 22, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

wow jasoncross. superstar. congrats! how were you notified by Cal?

Mar 22, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

email. nice long, seemingly personal, email...but who knows.

Mar 22, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

nice work jason!! you are on a roll.

Mar 22, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
juststarting

hello all, congratulations to everyone on their acceptances. i'm a longtime lurker looking for your opinions on the decision i have to make. figured i'd give you all my info in case it helps alleviate any deadline stress.

i'm m arch 1 w/ no arch background except for a summer program last year. located in california. so here goes:

uva - accepted, snail mail, march 9 (in fact, letter received before i knew it was time to to be stressed out. got online immediately afterwards and discovered this thread. my ulcer hasn't been the same since.)

yale - accepted, email on the 13th. (1st choice for college, rejected, 1st choice for law school, rejected, now they want me and i'm torn! what did groucho marx say?)

ucla - accepted, snail mail, march 16 (was my original 1st choice - price!!, location - but before my oft-rejecting object of desire - see above - sent me an email)

as of today's mail, still waiting for:
upenn
columbia
risd
sciarc

so... anyone have specific opinions of yale vs. ucla they'd care to impart? other than yale blows? thanks in advance.

Mar 22, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Got the thin envelope from Penn in today's mail. The score:

Can't say I'm too broken up about it, as it's doubtful I would have gone to Penn anyway... Once upon a time they were my top pick, but I haven't been too thrilled about the direction their program has been taking lately. Blobs and scripting just don't seem like my cup of tea. (At least Columbia has the advantage of being in NYC.)

Mar 22, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
axial753

i didn't know Cal gives out AP

Mar 22, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

thanks everyone.

yep. email said 2 year program ...they may have had that as an option and I just forgot, but I thought it was like UT in that you just applied for MArch.

Mar 22, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

222 was accepted to GSD! :-D

Mar 22, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow. Big day for me. I just got home to find the big envelope from USC in my mailbox :o)

2 for 2 ain't bad!!! Granted I was expecting this one since that email that they sent me but I was a little stressed out since I hadn't gotten it in a month! This program is the Master of Building Science. I might be a building scientist soon, mwahahahaha!

TED> yeah I really have no idea about any scholarships. I figured "offer" just meant "offer of admittance" and I didn't submit any extra forms or anything when I sent in my application. I am in for the Master of Science in Environmental Design and Engineering, BTW.

So, I guess I can keep score now like all you cool kids:

USC - MBS: accepted
Bartlett - MSc EDE: accepted
UT Austin - MSSD: tapping my feet
CMU - MSD: dying of curiosity
UMN - MSD: bleh*

*My back-up and definitely not interested in going but still wondering what the heck is going on up there since I haven't heard a peep from them.

Mar 22, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Yay WonderK!

Baboomba will be happy if you don't leave the country!

Mar 22, 07 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

congrats WonderK! looks like you are going to bet set with quite the conundrum on where to go.

Mar 22, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

hey guys...congrats to everyone

i am sitting here refreshing my email waiting for berkeley...its my top choice, but at this point i am also pretty happy with ucla or osu.

is anyone goign to the ucla open house? I couldnt get a ticket in time, but will be visiting the next week.

Mar 22, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

laurilan and WonderK,

Thanks for your replies. very helpful.

WonderK, you can definitely email me with more info. That would be great!

I just got wait listed at SCI-Arc. I am wondering how to begin to compare the two, since they seem so different. The coop thing is a huge draw for me because of my lack of work experience, but I hear great things about SCI-arc. Also I just moved out to LA less than a year ago from NY and the thought of moving again chills me to the bone (my girlfriend and I slept on a wood floor for three weeks in a bare apartment and thought we would never see our stuff again. There are some pretty crappy movers out there!)

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts on how to evaluate such different schools let me know.

Thanks,

Mar 22, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, WonderK!

Mar 22, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
axial753

i got the email from berkeley just now, option 2

Mar 22, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

I'm going to go home soon to check the mail and I've heard about so many amazing acceptance letters today that I think my hopes are too high... can anyone dash them for me?

Mar 22, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

also wow axial i totally missed that one! congrats!

Mar 22, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

BERKELEY!!!! my top choice

applied for option 1, but got into option 2:

"As an applicant with a previous professional degree, you may have expected to be admitted into the Option 1 program. In reviewing your material and statement, the Admissions Committee felt that you would make an excellent graduate student with an additional year to prepare for your thesis and to complete the required M.Arch coursework. Please feel free to contact me about your placement."

so it's like the opposite of AP... DP... demoted placement :) that's cool, I didn't think I'd be able to do everything I said in one year anyway

my tally:

Yale, accepted M.ArchII
UPenn, accepted M.ArchII
Berkeley, accepted M.Arch 1.9999
GSD, no word
MIT, no word

Mar 22, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

ya know neat... that was not the way to dash my hopes..

:-) congrats. that is amazing. :-)

Mar 22, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

BTW, congrats jasoncross, axial, ms. k, joe bloggs, and everyone else that I can't name on the HUGE day!!

Mar 22, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
karchitect

I got the Berkeley e-mail too. 3-yr program. This changes things... yeey!

Mar 22, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Jesus I can't keep up with us anymore! We will have to start a thread with tally only. There will be rules on this thread. We will discuss this later.

ann_culture, check your email.

Mar 22, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

dubK could be a Trojan... fight on!

Mar 22, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

Clairito, did you apply for opt. 1... and you are a Trojan right?

Mar 22, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Daaaaaaamn, a girl gets a little busy at work and she misses out on nearly 3 pages! No mail for me again today :( I really hope I'm sitting on a waiting list somewhere! Hey Kristen_kai, pour me one of those big dirty martinis!

Mar 22, 07 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Oh and congratulations on all of the new acceptances!!!

Mar 22, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

CONGRATS KRISTIN_KAI!!! YOU DID IT!

Do you think I can convince UCLA to give me more money...since I just got into GSD? UCLA accepted me with a $15,000 first year fellowship. Do you think they might give me more...? Hmmmm...

Mar 22, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

i got berkeley m.arch 1 option 2 as well.
penn's the only school left to hear from.

Mar 22, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

three cheers for kristin!

Mar 22, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
haano

congratualtions all who got in...somewhere!

just a question for MIT enthusiats..
do you know if M.Arch 1 folks get to take courses and/or do research at the Media Lab?

Mar 22, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
haano

*congratulations
*enthusiasts

man....

Mar 22, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
fivepass

congrats kristin_kai!!!..

Mar 22, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if i had kristin kai and susan surface in my class well i would pay double.

Mar 22, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

wow i can't keept up with this thread but congrats to all those who got accepted today!

finally got my official acceptance to wash u - seattle! letter dated 12 march and i only just received it today (23 march)! i cannot believe how slow airmail is these days.

i'm sweating from being kinda excited. but it is really hot today...

Mar 22, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
seopee

haha -- you know, i had so convinced myself that i was rejected (already got the "no" from the MCP dept a day ago), that i saw this email and said "whaaaat?" (high-pitched voice) in disbelief. and this whole time (i'm in korea now), my mom has been making plans for me to live in korea for the next year to learn korean and honor her wishes and to stop living in japan hahahahahahahaha!

got into berkeley m.arch I, option 3! like kristin_kai, only one school applied, and i still can't believe i got in. wow...! haha, do i need to post on this thread anymore? :P

sounds like this year's group has done pretty well so far, if i may say so myself hehehe. let's keep it going guys!

Mar 22, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

big ups for seopee!!!!!!!!

Mar 22, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

congratulations seopee!! you must be stoked! hey, didn't we say we were going to swap portolios? :)

Mar 22, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

neat: i'm a Trojan but my degree is in film production and American Studies so i was going for option 3. I didn't hear anything form anyone today... nothing. zip. My theory is that schools don't so much dislike me, as are confused by me. So they're all still looking at my application with perplexed expressions and question marks floating above their heads. If they all reject me and force me to pay 1/4 the price for my super fantastic UCLA education - i guess i can't hold it against them. :-)

UCLA - accepted
Yale - rejected
GSD - ?
MIT - ?
Columbia - ?
Berkeley - ?
SCI-Arc - ?

Mar 22, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

congrats kristin..you can enjoy your weekend now....AWESOME!

Mar 22, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: