Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

haano

long live seopee

Mar 22, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

Remember that one of the most important things about this thread is to keep track of who else was accepted into your program. Figure out who they are, and, when classes start, establish a really awkward rapport with them. Come off as creepy or what have you by intimating that you know something about them. Then, when the time is right, spring some inside joke on them and reveal yourself and just laugh and laugh on into the night.

Mar 22, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

kristin_kai and WonderK congratulations!

Kai, my real name isn't Ann Couture. Actually, it isn't Ann anything and I'm a guy. Sorry to disappoint. It's just a handle inspired by a certain tool (can you guess which one?).

Anyway, I'd love to hear your 2cents on SCI-Arc. One of my concerns is that Cincinnati will make me a more attractive job candidate upon graduation because of their coop program. However, since I plan to work in California after grad school maybe it would be better to stay in the area. Also, I am waiting for UCLA so I am curious about that too.

WonderK, thanks for emailing me. I am going to go check it now!

kudos to all!

Mar 22, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics
Remember that one of the most important things about this thread is to keep track of who else was accepted into your program. Figure out who they are, and, when classes start, establish a really awkward rapport with them. Come off as creepy or what have you by intimating that you know something about them. Then, when the time is right, spring some inside joke on them and reveal yourself and just laugh and laugh on into the night.

I do worry that this will actually happen... aaaaaahhh!

Mar 22, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

twotwotwo,

did you recieve a phone call from gsd last week? how did you recieve the package? fedex or regular mail? sorry im just dying to hear from them!!

and by the way... Congrats!!! to everyone!

Mar 23, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
seopee

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - orEqual, you're hilarious! Haha, I actually wouldn't make the effort to do that kind of thing normally, but just for the "laugh and laugh on into the night" hahahahaha, I think I gotta start a "Berkeley, here we come!" thread. Though honestly, I hope it won't turn into 46 pages! :P

Thanks for the congrats and well-wishes :) from everyone.

miss_j, you're right... arghh! haha - now i have to post my portfolio online for all to see... but gotta wait a week (when i get back to japan to my own computer) before that happens. at least it'll be a boost of confidence to everyone else applying next fall -- just title mine "what NOT to do in a portfolio" -- the dirtiest, most cluttered and all-over-the-place, yet-still-expressing-who-i-am design haha.

Mar 23, 07 12:25 am  · 
 · 
axial753

just out of curiosity......for those who decide to go Berkeley

which professors are you interested in taking studio with? what do you like about their program?

Mar 23, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 
fredh

for now i do not know...i am still waiting to hear from them.....i never been so stress in my life!!!

Mar 23, 07 12:40 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

wow congrats to soooo many people. jasoncross, neat, 222, kristin_kai...finally an end to the neuroticism!! :) seopee, chookahae! wonderk i heard the building science prog at usc is fab. my friend is finishing his 1st yr there and usc is sending bs and arch students to china for the summer, all expenses paid...and the generosity keeps on flowing.

lol i think the worst part will be after you've revealed yourself as an archinector and have to introduce yourself by the awkward handle you have chosen. i can just hear myself now and it's making my ears bleed, "hi, i am froccli..."

Mar 23, 07 12:46 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

OMG FROCCLI I think you might have just sealed the deal for me.

I really want to wait until I get the others in to make a decision, but does anyone want to share an apartment with me in LA? I'm just saying.

Oh and by the way.....

CONGRATS kristin_kai and seopee! Well done, drinking buddy and thread starter!

What a day. And ann_culture is a guy?!? Can it get any more interesting?!? I think not!

I haven't used enough exclamation points yet!!!!!

!!!!!!

Mar 23, 07 1:04 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

kristin_kai, holy cow.

seopee too.

Congratulations. You guys obviously rock.

Mar 23, 07 1:21 am  · 
 · 

axial

at Berkeley I would like to work with:

Dana Buntrock--I have to admit, I'm a japanophile too
Renee Chow--heard great things about her, and she's the chair of course
Mark Anderson--I love the names of his projects...ScumBagDirtClodGasHuffPhytoCurtain and HotPlateColdPlateMudMapSnowBlindBladderBladder
Lisa Iwamoto--her work seems hot right now
Stan Saitowitz--"Stan the Man", why not?

any option 1's here?

Mar 23, 07 1:37 am  · 
 · 

hey commisery crew, I'm out for a 4-day weekend. Hold down the fort, a'ight? Best of luck to everyone out there--

and lurkers for M.Arch commiseration '08, beware... this is you next year!!

Mar 23, 07 1:40 am  · 
 · 
axial753

neat,

i work for "Stan the Man"

i think Dana is on leave. Lisa is good, very good

Mar 23, 07 1:43 am  · 
 · 
axial753

oh by the way, Stanley is retiring

Mar 23, 07 1:43 am  · 
 · 

axial, what are your thoughts on the grad program? you said that you went there for undergrad right?

Mar 23, 07 1:56 am  · 
 · 
axial753

i think before starting your study there, you should be familiar with the faculty members, and acknowledge the big split among them. on one end, there is Sam Davis, Renee Chow, Jean-Paul, Fraker, who are more old-school, and conservative. on the other side of the spectrum, there's iwamoto, creedon, rene davids, anderson, ravee, who value and appreciate innovative approaches and digital work.

in terms of facilities, their lazercutters are all messed up, 3d printer is not accessible unless you are taking a particular course. it is no match to GSD.

i can tell you more about the program in person at the open house.

you should ask Vapor for his opinion....he works for one of the faculty members there too.

Mar 23, 07 2:07 am  · 
 · 
vapor

sam davis retired...
i heard they have working plotters now. haha.

Mar 23, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 
fixybopixy

does anyone have any feedback for me?

i just got accepted to USC (m.arch and ms hist. pres) and parsons (m.arch).....any suggestions?

Mar 23, 07 2:59 am  · 
 · 
seopee

I really was looking forward to working with some of the city planning/landscape faculty actually haha - I guess cause I'm more interested in urban design and environmental psychology; I'll just list some names in no particular order:

Louise Mozingo
Elizabeth Macdonald
Peter Bosselmann
Galen Cranz
Ravee Choksombatchai
Michael Southworth
Renee Chow

Yeah, the studios that interest me most seem to be the urban design/space ones (Southworth and Macdonald) -- not sure how much access I have to them within the architecture school, but I got the impression that things are pretty open/interdisciplinary at Berkeley which was a huge reason why I applied there.

I think she's retired now, but Claire Marcus-Cooper's stuff interests me as well. Anyhow, at the same time that I completely scoured the entire website before I applied, I also feel lost when it comes to the "politics" or like some of you have mentioned, the divisions within the faculty and stuff like that. It might not be as "open" as I imagined... any more thoughts are welcome :). Can't make the open house boo.

Mar 23, 07 7:54 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

received my rejection from upenn yesterday in the mail. it is on very nice paper though.....

Mar 23, 07 8:40 am  · 
 · 
haano

hope i can hear from gsd today

Mar 23, 07 9:04 am  · 
 · 
poisondarts

me too, hanno!

*fingers crossed*

Mar 23, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

please let today be GSD day!

Mar 23, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I would be happy with MIT day.

Mar 23, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

Listen to this..I just moved..and well, my change of address has held up somehow...I got no bills , nothing.......so I suspect somewhere in the Post office is whole stack of Rejection letters with my name on it. I am going to break in and go Postal. You may hear about me on teh news being all shot up ..clutching bloody Rejection Letters.

Mar 23, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

make sure you look good when they come in for the close up...small trickle of blood with a drip falling from your bottom lip into a growing puddle. Then, one last grasp of the rejection in your hand, arm raises slightly; then you fall limp, all energy has escaped.

in all seriousness though, good luck...that would drive me crazy, I feel for you.

Mar 23, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

thanks, Jason..
Good Luck to you too...hopefully those Calls from MIT will blow this tread up today!

Mar 23, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
archrise

Design by Design, what are the chances you will go to Wash. U or RISD? Those are two schools we have in common.
Are you going to Wash's open house?

Mar 23, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

So does anybody really have a reason to believe that MIT or Harvard might make some phone calls today?

Mar 23, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

As for MIT, last years thread would be a hint. They started calling on the 22nd or 23rd last year.

Mar 23, 07 10:51 am  · 
 · 
haano

thank GSD it's Friday.

Mar 23, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

You know what? I think you guys are right. I can feel the pump. Things are going to happen today. Best of luck to everyone. At the end of the day this thread is going to look like a Civil War battlefield after the battle.

Mar 23, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

But what side are we on?

Mar 23, 07 11:20 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics
I just found this awesome portfolio
Mar 23, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

hahaha namby wtf is that??

Mar 23, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

Hahahaha, I love how he's singing about war and his "simple people and simple land", but yet he's standing in front of a Porsche...

Mar 23, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

still trying to figure out the answer to that question...

Mar 23, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
salparadi

nothing from GSD in the mail today in brighton, ma. just across the river.

am i correct that the acceptances have been FEDEX? last year's rejection was USPS if i remember correctly.

anyway, more waiting.

Mar 23, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

salparadi,

I have to wonder as well. I'm in South Boston, right next to major fedex and usps facilities. I don't even know why they would bother fedex-ing us something across town. Maybe that's why we haven't heard....we just live tooooooooo clooooooooose.

Mar 23, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Can somebody call GSD and ask if they have sent out all notices by now? I mean, would they even answer such a question? Srsly.

Mar 23, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

call and find out.

Mar 23, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

i called yesterday and they said they were sending out all MUP notices this week.

sounds like several folks over on cyburbia heard late last week/early this week. i'm not feeling so positive about it... =(

Mar 23, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

OMG you call him! No no no no you call!! NOoooo oo oo YOU CALL!

This is getting to be like that game Girl Talk.

Mar 23, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

i just peed a little while giggling uncontrollably.

Mar 23, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

jason, if I could, I would, right? That's why I'm asking if somebody would else could do it? *blink*

This is after all, the place to lay grievances. Or it is for me.

Mar 23, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

"*blink*"

i love it! sofya, i have a feeling you're used to getting your way! =)

(that's a good thing!)

Mar 23, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i used to love GirlTalk, so those who don't get accepted are the ones that have to put the zit stickers on their faces

Mar 23, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

ahahha poison! yes it's true...but that's at least partially to blame on being a Leo with an Aries moon.

I want what I want when I want it or else [I get confused and petulant].

Some people love that....only SOME though ;)

Mar 23, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

got a call from gsd faculty member following up on last week's toshiko call

Mar 23, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: