Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

therpeuticlotion

congrats 222 (fellow broccoli lover) and neat!! neat, did they mention when open house would be?

Mar 21, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

cpnorris, that sucks. but you have some great acceptances!

Mar 21, 07 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

Hello WonderK! Thanks for thinking of us :)

no mail at 2pm. sigh.

Mar 21, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

froc, i think it's april 9th.

Mar 21, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

Hmm... seems like according to last year's thread, a wave of UC Berkeley rejection emails came out on 3/22. Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Pray for me. Faq, I haven't prayed this hard in years.

Mar 22, 07 1:17 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I've calculated the chances of my mail arriving:

Tomorrow: 33.33%
Friday: 33.34%
Monday: 33.33%

Call me anxious.

Congrats to everybody. I think we all know how much work we put into these applications. Regardless if I get into school or not this year, I'll be looking for a new job. This process has inspired me to take some control, so no regrets if I don't get in.

That said, I really fucking hope I get in. ;)

Mar 22, 07 1:36 am  · 
 · 

ha. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that....

I'm considering cutting my trip to Phx. a day short and coming back on Saturday. I want to spend another night in my own bed, the morning laying in the sun, get in a good workout and a trip to the grocery store... you know, all those normal weekend things, instead of just driving. Plus I could check the mail a day sooner.

Mar 22, 07 2:03 am  · 
 · 
hallojii

a workout sounds nice. I finish my last final tomorrow afternoon, but I think I'll work out tomorrow at 7am. Then after my final, I fly out to NY for my cousins wedding and to visit Parsons! I'm growing more in love with their program and the thought of living in NYC for three years. getting out the house will take my mind off the other schools I'm waiting for.

so far:

Parsons: accepted
Yale: rejected
Sci-Arc: waitlisted
Rice: nothing
UNLV: nothing
Cal Poly Pomona: nothing

the score's pretty even right now: 1 acceptance, 1 rejection, 1 waitlist.

Mar 22, 07 2:11 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Thanks Froccoli! Yeah I could care less about Yale. It actually makes my decision a lot easier. I am really excited about Syracuse. I think its gonna be great! I am actually surprised that not many people on here considered it.

Mar 22, 07 3:07 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

earlier talk of getting a winebago, are we switching from real world to raod rules now?

Mar 22, 07 8:28 am  · 
 · 
n_

I wonder where Brad Pitt is going for grad school? I'll call Angie and let everyone know!

Mar 22, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

broc- What did you thhink of the price of Parsons? It costs almost exactly what Yale does. Do you think it is worth it?

Also, the schools I talked to at the open houses all said something like this: "When we get your completed application, we sit down and go through them all in one day". I don't think that's possible. Columbia said that they go through them in batches and score them, then go through the ones that got high scores and pick the winners. So, with schools that do it that way, they can let a lot of the rejected people know at the same time as the first group of accepted people. Rejections and acceptances continue to go out slowely.

I think that if you haven't heard anything from a school that already sent a ton of letters - you are still in a pile being considered. Except for GSD who seems to have accepted everyone and refuses to send me a letter.

Mar 22, 07 8:40 am  · 
 · 
kabean

cpnorris- i'm considering going to syracuse too (3 yr program). i haven't visited though and can't make the open house. have you been? i really like the program on paper, but just hope i get to see it in person before the deadline. any firsthand opinions out there? is it wrong that i may let my aversion to snow affect my decision? :)

Mar 22, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
nicey

buck - i don't think a yale/parsons cost comparison is very effective. parsons is in the heart of ny so it will inevitably be 'expensive,' for the lack of a better word. and it's very small (60+ students total in the entire m.arch program) with no aspiration of getting bigger, so they can afford to be expensive. in terms of architecture, it doesn't carry the prestige of the older ivy schools, but it's one of the better schools in one the greatest cities in the world, so it will always attract quality practicing faculty/lecturers/critics. my longest post yet. good luck today! hoping to hear from penn and to get my acceptance packets from the gsd and risd, so i know it wasn't people prank calling me last weekend...

Mar 22, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

cpnorris, yeah, full-ride to syracuse is awesome. tom kundig just started teaching there and he is awesome. amazing speaker and does great small-scale architecture. i know a lot of other great architects from the ny area commute and teach at syracuse so you won't be out of touch at all!

Mar 22, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

kabean, you're going to be so buried in studio. if you actually had the free time, maybe it would matter what the weather is like outside.

Mar 22, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Okay, chiming in-

I'm from Taipei, Taiwan, home of stinky tofu, nightmarkets, 24-hour convenience stores every 5 steps you take, and horrible traffic too.

Lived stateside for 9 years: Arlington Texas, Urbana Champagne, Lafayette, and Evanston Illinois.

Gonna visit for Yale, GSD, and Columbia open houses this April.

Mar 22, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
poisondarts

toshiko mori prank calls! that's hilarious!

got my official package from penn (MCP) yesterday... looking good, looking good.

Mar 22, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

okay - quick question - i think there's a couple of people who have heard from cincinnati.

what program did you apply for? i'm applying for the 2 yr. March1 program - has anyone heard who is applying for that same program (not the 3+)?

thanks and good luck to everyone today!

Mar 22, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

froccli - not quite a full-ride but certainly getting a lot of help.

kabean - i e-mailed you through archinect about the program. feel free to e-mail back any questions or whatever.

Mar 22, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Froclli - Have you decided where you are going?

Mar 22, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
archrise

Hi all. I am a bit of a lurker here at Archinect and have specifically avoided this thread for months because you people were stressing me out! :) but AP suggested I post my acceptance info to help you with timetables.

Accepted in no particular order:
RISD (the latest, called this weekend)
Washington University St. Louis
UVA
USC
UT. Austin
UF (unofficial)

Waiting:
GSD

Rejected:
None so far :)

Mar 22, 07 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

wow, congrats archrise! wish i could have "non so far" under my rejected headline!!!

Mar 22, 07 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Entasis79

I finally got a response from Pratt's admission's dept. after emailing them several times, ha.
Not a yes or no, just an email telling me to wait longer.
Here is part of it for any Pratt hopefuls still waiting.....

"You should hear from your department late March to early April. Feel free to contact us early April if you havn't heard from them and we will check your status on the computer. As of now the computer shows that your file was completed and sent to your department for a decision. Thanks-"

When I saw Pratt admissions as a sender in my inbox....let me tell you how my heart jumped into my throat!!!!!!!

Mar 22, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

I live in Brooklyn, work in Manhattan and on Fridays I eat soba and browse books with Namby.

Mar 22, 07 11:18 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

archrise, I take it you are applying for your MArch?

I am applying for post-professional technical programs to two of the schools you applied to, which is why I am asking ;o)

Mar 22, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

thought this was amusing, sure most of you have seen it before:

Mar 22, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

neat--AWESOME!!

A little late, but CONGRATS!!! I got mine for UPENN March I yesterday, as well.....see you there maybe?

For any news I've missed so far today, congrats and/or best of luck to you all.

I'm a zombie today for lack of sleep and will probably not be around too much.

Mar 22, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

archrise - how have you unoffically heard from uf? what program are you applying for?

Mar 22, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

No mail yet. Kind of reminds of this date I went on, and she said she'd call me tomorrow......

Mar 22, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

WonderK, where is your post?

Mar 22, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
AP

chris may not return, so i will answer the 2 questions directed to him:

wonderK and laurilan - MArch 1 advanced placement.
laurilan - chris (and I) went to UF, so his 'unofficial' from UF may be one of our former professors telling him that he got in before he actually receives the official notification.

best of luck everyone! keep your heads up!

Mar 22, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Goddammit, SBD, don't spoil this for me!

Ok, well I just wanted to tell you guys that I finally got in somewhere!

I emailed a few of my schools to politely ask when I might expect my notifications. The Bartlett (UCL, London) responded by telling me that they had decided to make me "an offer", and that they "forwarded the paperwork to our admissions department some time ago so that they could send you a formal offer letter which you should have received by now." They went on to say that they would resend the documents and ask the department to resend my letter.

YAY!

I can't wait to see what my "offer" letter entails. Crazy Brits. :o)

Mar 22, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Awesome WonderK!!!! Congratulations!

Mar 22, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

but we want you in Austin WonderK ;) congrats on the good news.

Mar 22, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Yeah, congrats WonderK, now you can dump Baboomba and his crazy ladders for quaint afternoon tea. =)

Mar 22, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 22, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

...and don't forget morning tea! congrats :)

Mar 22, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thanks, guys. :o) I was really starting to get a complex.

I hope the rest of them roll in soon. I need to start making this decision quickly! Although mentally I have already started to anyway....

Also in case you are interested, I applied for the Master of Science in Environmental Design and Engineering at UCL.

· 
Living in Gin

Congrats, WonderK! Maybe you and SuperBeatledud could be flat-mates. :)

· 
baboomba

Just kidding. Congratulations, WonderK!

So, do you know where you'd go if you got accepted by everyone? Would you go to UT over The Bartlett?

· 
chupacabra

you planning on UT as well Baboomba?

Mar 22, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Still not sure, but right now UT is my only acceptance. Still waiting to hear from Harvard, MIT, and Rice. Regardless, UT is at/near the top of my list.

Have you decided for sure? Are you MArchI?

Mar 22, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

I officially declare Baboomba a stalker. =P

Mar 22, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

MArch I with AP...they are going through course evaluations now.

If Rice gave me a ton of money I would consider it, but I am almost certain I will be at UT. Kid coming and there is a ton of friend and family support as well as connections for me there.

Mar 22, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Wierdo, maybe. Pervert, yes. Stalker, no.

I don't know why I flirt with WonderK. There's just something in the way she says "Yay!" that does it for me.

Mar 22, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

maybe you are balagan, and, you are just jealous of him for some unknown reason ;)

Mar 22, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I'm MArchI not AP. We also have friends and family there. Plus I'm a Texas resident, so it's by far the most affordable option.

Mar 22, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Congratulations WonderK! That's awesome!

Mar 22, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Sorry to interrupt the commiserating, but, to all of you who have worked for a while and are now going back after getting you're Barch, in particular, what did you include in your portfolio? What proportion of undergraduate design work and professional work? Personal projects and endeavors? I know not all of us do exciting professional work, so I'm really curious about what's considered appropriate. Thanks.

Mar 22, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: