Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

baboomba

My house was built in 1908. We begun an addition, but had to fire the contractor like two years ago. It's up to me to finish it myself because I don't have the money to hire someone else to do the work now.

If I sell the house as it is now, I won't make any money on it. If I work hard for the next three months, I'll potentially gain like $100K in equity. In short, finishing the house pays more than working.

Still, pretty scary.

Mar 21, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

222: My thoughts exactly. I actually hated the idea of architecture school when I first began my undergrad degree... I just wanted to start working right away in a real office (which I did). However, being in the architecture business for 11+ years now has converted me; all this time of picking up redlines and laying out cubicle farms has made me realize how starved I am for the intellectual vigor of an academic environment, even if half the shit I end up doing in studio has no relevance at all in the real world.

baboomba: Fuck it!

Mar 21, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

good thinking brother...so as promised:

FUCK IT!!!!!

Mar 21, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

it sounds like you're doing the right thing boomba, assuming you have been accepted to a program that you can afford to go to.

Mar 21, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

summer trip to boboomba's place to help build the addition and work off our depressing job blob?

Mar 21, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Thanks, guys! I'm going for it! I'll let you know when the deed's been done.

Mar 21, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Whoa, sounds like fun Clairito! Where do you live Baboomba?

· 
Riedell101

fuck it! just do it! be all that you can be! <insert other slogans here>

· 
laurilan

i agree clairito - i've enjoyed my couple years off before school. i think it really made me want to go back more. and i think i know better what type of architect/deisgner/etc. that i want to be.

and if you have your bs or ba in arch, you're going to have to intern about 3 yrs anyway before you can take tests to get licensed, so you're really not getting behind in any sense at all.

Mar 21, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

HA! Man, if you guys want to come down in June, I'll buy all the food and drinks and we'll knock the thing out in a week. I'll owe you guys forever.

Mar 21, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I live in Houston.

Mar 21, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

If WonderK comes, I'll hold the ladder for her.

Mar 21, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

hmm... maybe this isn't such a good idea...

Mar 21, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

brocclijet, where in westchester you from? im from tarrytown (near white plains) but living in sc now.

Mar 21, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
+i

back to the shout outs... im located in dc. been working for almost a year since graduating. that being said--- i just told my firm monday that i would be returning to grad school for a post-pro m.arch. i thought i would get a lot of blank stares- like why the hell would i want to do that, being that they really have no concept of architectural research--- but quite the opposite! so that was good news to me + they said they are preparing a preliminary offer letter for me for after i graduate next spring! crazy...

Mar 21, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Are we giving our whole geographical CV's here? In that case:

1975: Born in Cincinnati, OH
1984: Moved to Asheville, NC
1987: Moved to Jacksonville, FL
1988: Moved to Beaufort, SC
1991: Moved to Jacksonville, FL
1993: Moved to Chicago, IL
2000: Moved to Boston, MA
2000: Moved to Chicago, IL
2002: Moved to Philadelphia, PA
2004: Moved to New York City
2004: Moved to Eugene, OR
2005: Moved to Chicago, IL

That doesn't include local moves within a certain metro area.

Mar 21, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Each locale has left its own unique emotional scars on my psyche.

Mar 21, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Yeah do it baboomba! Damn the man!!!!

Mar 21, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

save the empire!

Mar 21, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

Mar 21, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

BH Surfers quote! Excellent.

Mar 21, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Actually, isn't that really a William S. Burroughs quote?

Mar 21, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

You people are beautiful, man.

Mar 21, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I believe it is just a gibby hanes quote - nice that you as a texas noticed...a great Burroughs quote is, "every group is eventually against you, the individual"

Mar 21, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Riedell: I can't believe you just quoted Empire Records.....I think I'm in love

Mar 21, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

my best friend and i used to watch that movie all the time about 10 years ago....hee hee

Mar 21, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

it's one of my all-time favorites!

Mar 21, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I like "Vampire's Kiss" with Nicholas Cage.

Mar 21, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

this thread is hilarious....no more fretting or celebrating...its like a singles site or something now. "Yeah, forget Grad School,..how the weather." haha

Mar 21, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

it's a multi-purpose site, you find out where you get in, where others get in, and then you already know people in a place where you potentially could have known no one, it's perfect, except that i haven't gotten in anywhere yet, so i guess it's not so perfect for me yet....

Mar 21, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

me neither...I need a shoulder to cry on..or in this case a complete distraction from my empty mailbox

Mar 21, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

I walk up to my mailbox saying to myself, "C'mon big mail, c'mon big mail"... I feel like I should be in Vegas or something.

Mar 21, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

i've taken to going through old stacks of mail, convinced i missed something =)

Mar 21, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

when i walk up to my mailbox i say, "come on, no wammys no wammys!"

Mar 21, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

hey ClemsonDnB -- i grew up a little further north in the katonah/lewisboro/cross river area...used to paint houses during the summers and a couple were in tarrytown. really nice area...i miss it sometimes.

Mar 21, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

I've done that too poisondarts! This large envelope from our moving company sat on the kitchen counter for DAYS. I kept picking it up looking for the UCLA, GSD, or SCI_Arc logos. And no matter what I did...those logos never appeared! Finally, I got fed up last night, took out the contents and threw the envelope away! ah, I am freed!

Mar 21, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

i may do that to my mailbox...throw it away ...ahhh, I am free!

Mar 21, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

The only problem with throwing out my mailbox...is that it is attached to about 30 other mailboxes. Hm...how to remedy this problem...

Mar 21, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
axial753

we recently won a project over stern, so i am thinking of pshopping him on the rendering holding up my rejection letter, checking out my building.

Mar 21, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Here we go: Plan B

Mar 21, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, nobody got any mail this afternoon?

Mar 21, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Alright it's 5:00! Time to blow this joint!

Mar 21, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

I seem to have stopped paying my bills. Every day I check the mail and when it's just a buncha bills and junk mail I toss on my desk as "unimportant". Then every few days I look through the pile in hopes of finding a school letter I may have missed. When it's still just bills and junk mail and I ignore it some more. I don't think I've actually paid a bill in about a month. This could be a problem.

Mar 21, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Has anyone seen the Architecture/construction terms that sound dirty thread? It's pretty funny. And sad. When I think about how annoying it might be to be a woman in architecture...If I have to hear my male boss say "hey beautiful, hows it going?" or "how you making out girl?" one more time, I might puke. All over him. Oooh, that would be funny. Hm..

Mar 21, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey gin i like how the autocad draftsperson position requires knowledge of autocad and drafting. duh...

Mar 21, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

still 2pm in california...sigh, mail hasnt come yet.

Mar 21, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thanks for all the geography, guys. Next week when I am still waiting for my letters to appear I might make a Google Earth map with all of us on it.

Also, international people.....please tell the rest of us where you are when you wake up :o)

baboomba, I don't know about coming to Houston. Plus there are some interesting stories about me with ladders. Let's just say I'd best not come unless you want to include me in the selling price of the house.

Mar 21, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

I walked up to greet the mail lady. She handed me my acceptance letter to M.ArchII, PennDesign. It's a bloody nice afternoon in Southern California :)

Mar 21, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Sorry. I don't get it about the ladder.

Mar 21, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
charms84

well, i live in a little island called Dominican Republic, pretty hot and sunny, surrounded by the most beautiful beaches... :O)
feel free to visit...

Mar 21, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: