Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Houston has some cool freeway underpasses though... I was born in Conroe, how 'bout that? I went back recently to visit family, god what an awful place. Never seen such a fat ass Walmart.

Mar 21, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Hi, I'm living in Denver, CO home of many ridiculously loyal Bronco's fans, Colfax Ave. and apparently we invented the car boot. I work in Boulder, CO home of hippies, yuppies and homeless people.

Mar 21, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

lol Clairito

Mar 21, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Hey all! I am originally from Massachusetts, but I am writing to you from NYC, home of...everything! Kidding. Class of '04 at Columbia, a perfect school to hate sports. A little nervous about going to a school where people care about athletics (UCLA) but I think I will live.

Mar 21, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

neat, I used to hang out with some people from your class (and a couple above). Now I'm really curious as to who you are. The way people probably remember me is that I was one of those organization type people: president of APX, curriculum committee, etc. Did you ever take Rick Corsini's wierd topic studio on monuments?

Mar 21, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

shit it seems everyone here either is from the state where I was born or the state where I grew up, went to USC, or lives in the city of my favorite teams. I have no connection to Atlanta, sorry. I hear people are real nice down there. Oh yeah, nor Cincy. So much for my theory of all encompassing connectivity.

Mar 21, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
w3

i'm in buena vista colorado - home of the collegiate peaks, rafting and about 3000 people. i work for a firm out of colorado springs - home of ultra conservative politics and not much else.

Mar 21, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

rationalist, you graduated with my wife, then... and if that isn't clue enough, I can be seen in the 'what do archinecters look like' thread

not sure who you are, I wasn't involved in arch student groups. People probably remember me as the tall guy who always tried to get arch students to submit to the literary/arts student publication. what a fun waste of time that was ;)

Mar 21, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

originally from new jersey, now cruisin' in the ATL.

Mar 21, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

w3, another Colorad'n!

Mar 21, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

I think I know who you are... you two are married now? congratulations!

Mar 21, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

yup, that's who I thought you were. For some reason, I thought you were more years ahead of us than that. I can also be seen on that thread, several pages earlier.

Mar 21, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

thanks! it's been a year and a half already. so how am I supposed to figure you out, without reading all of your almost 3000 posts? hehe

Mar 21, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

same way I figured you out- I went to the page I thought you were on (last, I'll be on one of the earlier ones) and used Edit>Find on this page on your username.

Mar 21, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Anyone feel like calling Berkeley and MIT to find out when they're mailing? If they dropped everything in the mail yesterday... well I might just have to go home right now.

Mar 21, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

rationalist, indeed I have seen you around, especially at school BBQs. Best of luck with your schools and fight on!

Mar 21, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Grew up in Palo Alto but moved in with my dad in Morgan Hill at 16. He had a practice in Monterey for a while acutally... really pretty place. I was sad when he sold it.

Mar 21, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

how the heck did you guys end up in the OC? Really, I thought wifey was destined to be a star at one of the big-glam downtown offices.

Mar 21, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

i'm from los angeles. and i like cream in my coffee.

Mar 21, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
axial753

Clarito -

berkeley is sending out letters at the end of this week. i'm sure.

Mar 21, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

clarito...i called MIT..they said Friday was when they mail....seemed annoyed. hhhmmm

Mar 21, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Thanks Axial and FF33. I love this thread!

Hmm… End of the week=Friday, Which means I'll run to the mailbox on Monday and be disapointed when nothing is there and won't acutally hear anything until next wednesday at the earliest because although the postal service usually takes like.. 12 hours to get something from the bay area to LA, for some reason these rules don't apply when waiting for grad school admissions.

Mar 21, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Mar 21, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

r.

funny, why should anyone end up in the OC? we just got back from an amazing year in New Zealand, so we had to balance that by living in a terrible place for a little while.

Mar 21, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

damnit LiG... and I was pulling for you before that.

Mar 21, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

i'm sorry brightside. :-( hin what media did they notify?

Mar 21, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
miami

Upenn MArchI AP !

Mar 21, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

well, I hope New Zealand was worth it! I did the OC thing for a summer, and it'll never happen again. Not only did the work suck, it tainted my resume as well.

· 

also, my condolances to brightside, and congrats to miami.

· 
Japhy

nicey: what town in jersey?

Mar 21, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

lawrenceville

Mar 21, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

you?

Mar 21, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i've been a los angeleno (san pedro) for the last 12 years...grew up a bunch of places, but mostly in westchester county, ny.

Mar 21, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

grew up in arkansas, home of walmart, tyson chicken and jb hunt. what else do you need?

been in dc for the last couple of years. i enjoy motorcades and long walks down the mall.

oh, and working a block from the white house - you'd think we would hear when there's a disturbance on the grounds, but we find out via cnn, just like the rest of the world.

Mar 21, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

detroit, kansas city, indianapolis, atlanta, paris (fr), columbus (oh), and finally orlando. and i can't wait to get out of here.

Mar 21, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Ok, I finally sucked it up and called UCLA about when my letter might be coming. She told me next week, along with an email. Why they can't just send it all now...I just don't know.

Mar 21, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

brightside- but you're already in at CCA, right? We could find some crazy san francisco apartment together.

Mar 21, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

that's the way to look at the bright side, .. umm... brightside. :-)

i'm definitely a fan of the working for a bit before grad school plan. make some money, enjoy the free time, learn to cook... and it also means that when you go to grad school you'll appreciate what you're doing more.

course you may be going to school in the fall... but nice to know that it's not a bad thing if you don't.

Mar 21, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

drool... san francisco....

Mar 21, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i wish you'd come back to atlanta laurilan!!!!

Mar 21, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

oh i see, i'm from toms river

Mar 21, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Working between undergrad and grad is a great thing. You start off happy to have no homework, happy to have TV back in your life, happy to have no worries after 6:00 pm each night. Slowly you come to hate your vacation policy, your damned free time, and your general loss of brain function.

Finally, you return to grad school 3 years later...and just thank your lucky stars for small miracles.

At least that's my experience. So tired of sitting on my ass, both at work and at home. I'm just not self-motivated. It's bad.

I don't think I would have been this excited about grad school had I applied right after undergrad. Frankly, I don't even think I would have gotten in.

Mar 21, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

well, that's where i grew up....there and point pleasant, but i've lived ALL over

Mar 21, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

O.k. everyone. I'm trying to get up the guts to quit my job today. Pretty scary. I make over $100K as an engineer and have a family. Still, to even have the chance of going to school, I need to quit now (for a number of reasons).

Can I get a "fuck it", please?

Mar 21, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

oh man 222. you speak the truth. i wonder how long before i miss the free time and the lack of homework and the money (mostly the money). I'm hoping that i'll be too busy solving complex design problems to notice. we'll see!

Mar 21, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

FUCK IT! Damn your job! Make your kids get jobs!!! Kidding.

Yeah baby! quit that job while you still have the chance!!

Mar 21, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

You're a beautiful person, 222. Thank you.

Mar 21, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

baboomba -- i'm happy to give you a 'fuck it', but why now? seems a little early yet.

Mar 21, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

baboomba - live your life for the joy.
This is it, right now, do everything you can to fill it with happy.

Mar 21, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

I went home from work Monday night and decided to skip the gym. Again. I made myself dinner, surrounded myself with my computer, phone, camera, and television, and didnt get off my ass for 4 hours. Sounds fun, right? NOT FUN! Blobby is more like it.

Mar 21, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: