Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

twotwotwo

Hey, Jim Kies just emailed me my UCLA letter - finally! Maybe calling the department earlier today prompted this. Excellent. Wow, this is a boring letter. I need more info.

Mar 21, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

YAY!! Congrats Neat! ... and the sun is sorta kinda coming out... sorta... mail is out in SC... I wanna go home!!

· 
twotwotwo

Congrats Neat!

· 
Buckity

So....does anyone else have a lot of missing items sow up when they check their admission status online for UCLA? I flew out there and handed it to their front desk, they emailed me confirmation of receipt.

· 

info for those waiting: the letter is dated Mar. 19th, and has a poster of a bug skyscraper with some examples of the post pro work on the back. You get a financial aid letter as well.

Mar 21, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

thanks guys!

Mar 21, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
charms84

i like hearing good news!!! congrats!
:O*

Mar 21, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
lullaby

Congrats Neat!

Mar 21, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

*clapclapclap* Good work!

Mar 21, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I get stuck on roofs, OK? I get up and I can't come down. I get freaked out. There, I said it.

Mar 21, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

man they do some craaaa-aaaaazy stuff at Penn. not sure it's for me, but I'm curious, hence why I applied. any thoughts on the post pro program there?

· 
hallojii

yayyy Neat and 222!

· 
cpnorris

buckity - fyi, UCLA architecture does not use the UCLA graduate website for updating info.

· 
Buckity

Thanks Kistin.

Come down Wonder.

Mar 21, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

yay neat! I hope the mail brings the rest of us as much happiness today as it has you. That's pretty sweet of them to do financial aid right off the bat, instead of dragging out the process for a few more weeks like so many of them seem to.

Mar 21, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Buckity and kristin_kai - my status online at UCLA is still all incomplete. My last name begins with K but I dont think that has anything to do with it since I know people with last names starting with A, M, N, R, and V who also have already heard. Also, its M.ArchI and I already heard I was in two weeks ago...but thanks for the cheers everyone!

Ok, going home for the day. Maybe a sick day tomorrow? So tired of this job...

Mar 21, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

i posted something on another thread about penn. i would be skeptical.

Mar 21, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Don't lose hope kristin_kai! I have faith in you!

Mar 21, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

222-

You mean they lied to me 2 weeks ago when I called and they said they wouldn't send any letters out until last week? Those fart stains.

Have fun on your sick day.

Mar 21, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

The lesson is - you CAN strong arm schools into sending you mail

Axial753, How do I go about flattering / threatening Berkeley?

Mar 21, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

hey, if it's getting up into April and I haven't heard anything, I will absolutely be strongarming schools, not just to send me mail but to give me decisions over the phone. It's probably a little early for gangster tactics, but after April 1, I figure anything is pretty much fair game for whatever jackass school has made you wait that long.

Theoretically, we should all know about all of our schools within the next 11 days. I still have 4 schools to hear decisions from, plus 2 for financial aid. Logically, I should be getting exciting mail every two days from here on out, right?

Mar 21, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
zundfolge

Got a letter from SCI-Arc today. Waitlisted for M.Arch 1. Won't know if I'm in unti May. No news from UCLA. I went ahead and called today...was told accepts and rejects are still going out. I asked if I could just come down to get the news in person...nope.

Mar 21, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

I got SCI-Arc's letter today as well. And, I too, am waitlisted for M.Arch 1 til May. That's really late. I really wish they would tell us earlier. I guess waitlist is better than a rejection, but it still puts you in this limbo decision making and more waiting.

Mar 21, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
charms84

i havent received anything! just from my backup plan! i wanted it to stay as a backup, not a "the plan"...

god, at least i have something... but am i asking to much?

Mar 21, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Counting down the minutes until I can leave the office and check my mail... Hopefully I'll find something from Penn as well. Even if it's a rejection letter at least I'll have an answer.

The skies are looking pretty threatening out there... I actually hope we get a big storm, because I need to justify driving to work and paying for parking today.

Mar 21, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

ok this is off topic but I need to be publicly jealous for a minute. A friend of mine who is looking for a job sent her resume to someone she knows at paramount. He didn't have a job for her but did need someone to deliver a tape from LA to NY tonight. So now she's flying to NY on a free mini-vacation thru Sunday.

Mar 21, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

zundfolge, how many programs did you apply to? I'm sure you'll hear good news from someone soon.

Mar 21, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
axial753

clarito,

i heard that berkeley used up all the spots this year! so you should have a chance.

if u know ANY faculty members at berkeley, speak to them NOW. they sent out an email to the faculty on Monday asking if there's any applicant they should look into before they send out the finalized letters.

Mar 21, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

BLAST! I don't know any... you should hint to someone that you think Berkeley needs more architects with film / American studies backgrounds but little to no actual Architecture experience.

Mar 21, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

axial - how come you have more insider berkeley info than i do. haha.

Mar 21, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

G'day I'm from sunny Melbourne, Australia. Went to college in Maine, lived in Hong Kong and New York.

I like soy lattes and lychee martinis.

Mar 21, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Nothing from Penn (nor anybody else) in today's mail... But I received a voucher for $100 in free money if I open a checking account at Chase Bank. I think I might do it.

Mar 21, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

They probably realize that if I open a checking account with them, they'll easily recoup that $100 in overdraft fees within a month.

Mar 21, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

sneaky bastards.

Mar 21, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

although i've been intimately involved in this thread from the start i can't remember if anyone has already asked this...or if the answer even matters, but i'll ask anyway:

does the order/timeline in which people are accepted to a school directly directly indicative of how much they want you or where you fall in their prioritized pecking order? or is it based on the order/disorder in which they happen to review the application packages?

Mar 21, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I hope it's the latter, but I fear it's the former.

Mar 21, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
nomadic

I'm wondering the same thing since I know several people have been rejected from UTA, and I have heard NOTHING (except that they received my FAFSA)....grrrr! I'm calling tomorrow!

Mar 21, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I would think the people that get the quickest response are the ones on both ends of the extreme. either they really want you or they really don't want you. the middle ground is what takes so long. and obviously it should because its a much larger group of people that need to be weeded through.

Mar 21, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

brightside- I expect that it varies by school. Some of the schools I applied to specifically mentioned that your stuff was reviewed in the order recieved, while others mentioned that they collect everything they deem to be 'on time', review it all together, and then send out decisions. So which method a school uses probably affect the order in which responses are sent out. For example, CCA sent every response out on the same day it seems, while other schools are trickling them out a few at a time, and still others seem to have a hierarchy of phone calls and/or emails, then snail mails on different dates.

Mar 21, 07 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

no mail today. has anyone been rejected to the ucla m.arch 1 program yet? sorry to ask.

Mar 21, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

i'll take the silence as a no? no one has been rejected from it yet?

Mar 21, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Just got the letter from Yale. Rejected. Oh well.

Mar 21, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Woo hoo! The internationals are rolling in! Hello Continents on the other side of the globe.....

I got no mail. Again. Today. Just like every other day.

My heart stops a little every time I unlock that mailbox though.

Mar 21, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

This is bullshit. Cpnorris got rejected by Yale. WonderK got nothing again. That's it. I'm buying the van.

Mar 21, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

How about a Winnebago? Better yet, an Airstream!

Mar 21, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Fuck yeah! An Airstream!

Mar 21, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

You know, the new Airstreams are actually pretty nice.

Mar 21, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Magnetica

Hi everyone, I'm a new member so just getting used to this forum... and I could use some advice as well, as a newbie!

I've been accepted to Calif College of the Arts for MArch Fall 2007 and since I am an engineer with no previous background in Arch, I am very keen to know everyone's opinion about CCA. Anyone applied there for MArch? I know their BArch is good and all that, but any thoughts on their MArch?

Mar 21, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

no mail for me today, either. And I'm going away for the next four days, and so is my bf, so there's nobody to call home and ask about the mail.

Mar 21, 07 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Yale rejection. Couldn't care less (I never even finished filling out their financial aid info) but did my giant benefits package from work and my roommate's gift CDs for supporting KCRW really need to arrive today? Those damn giant bubble wrap envelopes have an emotional effect on me. Lame.

Mar 21, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: