Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

nicey

congrats haano! send some of that good energy down my way...

Mar 21, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

ERG! Still no UCLA package! Actually, there was no mail in the mailbox last night. I don't know if that means I got no mail... or if the mailman never delivered the mail because the lobby construction workers moved the mailboxes and scared him away.

Congrats to all the recent acceptances! How many of you UCLA acceptances are thinking seriously of going there? I am 99.99% sure I'll be there in the fall.

Mar 21, 07 11:08 am  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Thanks, poison! And everybody else too!

Mar 21, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
haano

Thanks, LIG, nicey!

Mar 21, 07 11:20 am  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

222!

I have not heard back from any of my east coast schools, but MAN oh MAN am I excited at the prospect of L.A. for a couple of warm, sunny years. I have family out there and good friends, too.

I think the only place I'd rather be than UCLA, honestly, is MIT. So we'll see about that high-falutin' idea.

Mar 21, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
miami

gsd acceptances with no phone calls, possibly in the mail today... any hope?

Mar 21, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I will most likely not go to UCLA.

Mar 21, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

neither will I. I am pretty set on UT-Austin...but if Rice or MIT give me a good chunk of cash, I would have to consider it.

Mar 21, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
haano

miami, i hope you and i get that fancy bubble pak today..

Mar 21, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
miami

if so, we are celebrating at the open house.

Mar 21, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
nicey

haano, where else have heard from? where does upenn fall on your list...

curious, because it's high on my list...

Mar 21, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

kristin- they're architects...it is all last minute. they told me on the 14th that everything would be out by the 16th, but that decisions were still being made. also, it seems that there were an unprecedented number of applicants at all schools this year so everything is taking longer.

Mar 21, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

kristin, I'm not sure what the 14-day rule is, but on cheaptickets.com and hotwire.com, you can buy tickets like almost the day before. They're good at last-minute deals, and you can actually get some really low prices last minute. There's a weird window. But like I said before, as of yesterday, a roundtrip ticket to L.A. from Boston was only $284...

Where would you be flying from?

Mar 21, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

I heard that UCLA's status is pretty up in the air since their last dean left? Has anyone else heard this? I flew out to watch their studio reveiws in December...people were really nice, I don't think there was any crying.

Mar 21, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
nicey

the percentage of ucla chatter is very high of late...

simply an observation.

Mar 21, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
haano

nicey, i heard from upenn and columbia. i was e-jected by princeton.. and i'm still waiting to hear from gsd/yale/mit/sci-arc. i have a strong attachement to gsd after having done the summer program there... but otherwise i have no strong preference.

Mar 21, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i miss namby too.

Mar 21, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
haano

i was always wondering though.. how people would rank columbia/upenn and mit.... anyone?

Mar 21, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

nicey....I don't know why but I find that remark hilarious! hahahaha

Mar 21, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

froccli- she's just on a little trip with limited internet access, she'll be back.

Mar 21, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I think there is some kind of rival between GSAPP and GSD...sort of seems like the kids at GSAPP are cooler!..haha, just kidding..UPENN is the underrated one I hear. They are obviously a good program...I don;t know about "ranking" anymore...I think you know it changes every year now....but I am crossing my fingers for an MIT MArch acceptance. I like the school as it appears to hedge the digital with other standard studios..and they have a Solar Decathlon Team..which I think is cool. I think it is a good place to go to explore other disciplines too. I am not sure about all this. I could be totally wrong,,,.but as much as I can gather..it is what it seems like.

I never heard back from GSAPP ( MARCH1AP)...maybe I am not cool enough ...haha

Mar 21, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

I think its funny that you used the word chatter.

watching cnn lately?

Mar 21, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

columbia is totally overcrowded and i didn't find there work to be super impressive when i visited. and i honestly think penn has gone down the wrong road. i talked to quite a few students at yale and gsd that were penn undergrads and they were told by some of their instructors to go else where for grad school cause they thought the school was going in a bad direction. just read hasselhoff's school blog. half the stuff he writes is dissing the faculty and classes he is taking. but really its up to you. if you find what they are doing interesting then you will probably like it. personally i would say MIT is the better school at the moment, but thats just me.

just to note: i don't know anything about penn from a first and experience, i am regurgatating what others have told me and what i have read online.

Mar 21, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

my only news source is the daily show.

Mar 21, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

who's getting anxious about sci-arc decisions?! i am!

Mar 21, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
w3

at some point someone needs to pdf this thread and have lulu print it as a book. thoughts? .... I'd buy it.

Mar 21, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

This thread will be my portfolio when I re-apply next year.

Mar 21, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

LiG
your ready to reapply already

Mar 21, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

that green beer diagram will look especially impressive. and all those sexy scotch shots....

Mar 21, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

sexy as vomit on corduroy

Mar 21, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 

jason, you should make good use of your 1000th post... like taking back your 999th post

Mar 21, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
haano

someone got a package from gsd today

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?PL=architecture

Mar 21, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Good afternoon kids,

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in since I last said so. No offense to you guys but this is getting to be like saying "bless you" to someone who sneezes 5 times in a row. I am still happy for you though!

kristin do not fret. I am still waiting on all of my letters for the post-professional programs.....

*Also I am intrigued by all the different locations represented on here. Can we do a little "shout out to your home base" interlude right now? Where is everyone writing from? Here, I'll go first....

Mar 21, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hi. I'm in Cincinnati, OH, USA. Home to chili, baseball, and the much debated University of Cincinnati DAAP architecture program.

Tag you're it!

Mar 21, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

nah, never liked whiskey, scotch, bourbon, etc..ugghh...I do like vodka and tequila...it is the super sugary liquors that do me wrong...like cough syrup.

ok, off to go shoot hoops with the predock dorks.

Mar 21, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Hey, I'm currently in sunny Los Angeles, CA. I moved out for undergrad at USC and never left. Fight on Trojans, beat the Tarheels! I am originally from even sunnier Phoenix, AZ, and can't believe I'm thinking of moving north for grad school...

Mar 21, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Hi! I'm from New Jersey! Home to some lovely beaches, horrendous traffic, diners, and the Jersey Devil!

Mar 21, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

Hi. I'm from Orange County. God, I hate saying that. Home of the Crystal Cathedral. 'nuff said. I'm not really from Orange County, though, I'm just here temporarily. I'm really from Colorado!! Phew, much better. Colorado, home of purple mountains, Celestial Seasonings, and King Soopers.

Mar 21, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I am a bourbon man...here in Boulder CO, known for hippies and yuppies. No acceptances yet, no back up schools either. More Bourbon may in store for me soon as a result.

Mar 21, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

rationalist, you went to SC? I went to SC. Class of 04.

Mar 21, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

hey rationalist... me too.. well from nor-cal but moved down for USC and never left. although i must admit that i secretly don't care about football. where are you thinking of going to grad school?

· 

ooh, neat, can you get whole boxes of the good cherry flavored Celestial Seasonings there? Here we have to buy the 'variety pack' boxes, and the cherry always runs out first.

· 
Clairito

weird. fight on. class of '04 too! although i took an extra semester to double major and graduated in december.

· 
Living in Gin

Chicago here, but probably moving back to NYC in July, though.

Mar 21, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

class of '05. Were you guys architecture, or other? I had no idea there were so many of us here. The great grad school list, in a vague but ever-shuffling order: MICA (baltimore), UW (seattle), CCA (san fran), Pratt (brooklyn), SCAD (savannah), and RIT (rochester). All much, much colder than here.

Mar 21, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Aim convo with my dad moments ago-

Dad: any rejections?
Me: not a word
Me: damn it
Dad: don't worry there will always be rejections.

Mar 21, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

Hi, I'm from Atlanta, Ga, home of Waffel House, Chick-fil-a and awful traffic!

Mar 21, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

FROCCLI, I'm still around. I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of schools, and visiting UCLA/LA utnil 10pm tonight :)

I'm from Washington State, but I've lived in NYC since 2000 (with a total of a year away living in other places to do study abroad and the like.)

Mar 21, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Hi. I'm in Houston, TX., home of the fattest people in the U.S. and butt-ugly terrain. I'm a scorpio and I like my coffee black.

Mar 21, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

rationalist, that's the only way I know how to buy it, never heard of the variety packs. My pick is Red Zinger.

I was arch. at SC.

LiG, Cubs fan by chance?

Mar 21, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: