Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

twotwotwo

My friend was accepted to Princeton, Columbia, Yale, and UCLA. He hasn't heard yet from GSD, MIT, Berkeley, or Penn. Do you guys think he is going to be rejected from GSD? I feel like they might still be accepting people. Just a theory.

Mar 20, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
lennon

222, im buying your theory. i still haven't given up...

Mar 20, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I'm now expecting a rejection. If I get an acceptance, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

· 
lennon

ooops that was the 4000th

· 
twotwotwo

Glad you like my theory. I am partial to it myself.

Work is BO-RING! Except for the free cheesecake...that wasn't boring at all.

Mar 20, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

some hope for all of you who are still waiting on ucla m.arch 1...

i emailed them today because i still haven't heard anything yet. also, the online link says a decision still hasn't been made, and i had sent my application in after the 12/15 deadline (cuz they didn't change the info on one of their sites)

they emailed me back and said some files are still being reviewed. notifications will be sent within the next two weeks.

so either this is true and there's still a chance, or they r just bsing me and sending me the standard response they send to everyone.

good luck to all those still waiting!

Mar 20, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
lennon

dunno... i just haven't seen anyone admitted to the 3yr program at gsd this year except few people online.. maybe it's just availability heuristics...

Mar 20, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

I haven't gotten a letter from UCLA yet either. I got a phone acceptance about 2 weeks ago...but still no letter. I feel like they are slacking with the letters. So yeah, I think you still have hope chzzzcake.

Oh god, now I want more of that cheesecake in the kitchen.

Mar 20, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

hey triple2 :D

so like, um, did you call them? I don't recall. I am tempted to call them RIGHT NOW if that's the case!

Mar 20, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

5-year bachelors at Northeastern (nonaccredited), about to get an M.A. in media studies, full time job at my firm in ny, did a semester at the AA, I think he has some sort of web magazine. crazy portfolio, like 70 pages.

He's pretty much like an M.Arch II applicant, but he's ineligible because of the nonaccredited bachelors.

I think he's ok with me divulging this info...

Mar 20, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

nah, I haven't called. I just have anxiety attacks that the phone acceptance maybe was just a dream.

Mar 20, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

got my yale rejection today! woo hoo!

Mar 20, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

222 - clearly the only solution is for you to fly out to LA and ask them in person... clearly.

Mar 20, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

I plan to drown my anxieties in margaritas tonight with namby and some other friends. I expect it'll help, at least to take my mind off of it for one evening.

Mar 20, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

maybe if i eat enough mini twix i can make myself throw up and go home sick.. then i can check the mail early and spend the rest of the afternoon reading in my pajamas...

Mar 20, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Oh yes, that IS the clear solution. INDEED.

So...who out there is Physicsing it up this summer with me and Clairito?

Mar 20, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Oh. I'm kinda "blowin up" the thread right now, but ahhhh....UIC just called me and I'm in the architecture school!

Of course, they also told me they categorically disallow dual-degrees from the architecture and urban planning departments, so they're making me choose :(

How did I not know this when I applied to both departments? DOY!

Mar 20, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

congrats welly wellywell!! also eck.. what are you going to do?

Mar 20, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Wait for GSD, GSAPP, UPENN, and MIT :D

Mar 20, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
designbydesign

uiuc is better than uic

Mar 20, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

ooooh! Congrats Welly! That is a very hard decision...glad I'm not making it.

Mar 20, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
miami

I STILL HAVE HOPE IN GSD. I'M SURE THEY'RE PREPARING ALL OUR ACCEPTANCES AS WE SPEAK.

Mar 20, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

congrats welly! sounds like you have many possibilities to juggle!

Mar 20, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

any m.arch 1s hear from sci arc yet? they sure do take a long time...*weather in L.A. is absolutely awesome today...i love ominous weather*...

Mar 20, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Yeah DxD:

The rankings suggest that, but you've got to ask yourself: do you really want to spend 3.5 years (March I) in..........Urbana-Champaign?

Well I asked myself that and I decided that I did not. Some people like quads and fluffy bunnies. I, for one, have to live in a major city. I'd rather be happy in a city with a school that hasn't been scientifically tested to be better than its competitors at producing spot-free architects.

but I'm glad somebody's keeping score of here hahaha

Mar 20, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

1deviantC, an email from SCI_Arc Admissions on MArch 15:

Greetings everyone,

In light of a wave of phone calls and emails regarding decision notifications for M.Arch 1 applicants, we wish to announce that no applicant has been informed of his/her admission status. In fact, the graduate admissions committee is still finalizing the Fall 2007 class, and we hope to have decision letters sent by the end of the month.

We appreciate your patience, but please know that everyone will be receiving decision notifications shortly. Please let the Admissions Office know if you have any questions.

Mar 20, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Hey. Check this out. I just sent this request to one of the schools that rejected me to see if I can get any info out of them. I still think my boss intentionally screwed me with his recommendation. We'll see what they say.

Dear Admissions,

I received you rejection letter last week. I understand that it's very competitive, so certainly no hard feelings. I'm wondering, however, if you guys can provide any feedback on my application so I know what to focus on if I decide to reapply. My undergraduate grades were very low, so that may have played a part. I also discovered after submitting the application that one of my recommenders provided a not-so-favorable recommendation.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Mar 20, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

no word from sci-arc yet. this weather is so WEIRD. it all started when my friend's boyfriend bought a boat... hasn't been a sunny day since. i desperately need a fire place and some flannel pajamas.

Mar 20, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

twotwotwo: thanks, i got that one too, i was just wondering if anyone had heard anything since then

Mar 20, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Baboomba - if you haven't sent it yet, you might want to fix the typo on the first line ("your" not "you"). I also recommend not referring to the admissions committee as "guys". Not that it matters. Don't hate me for nitpicking. I think an email is a great idea! Why shouldn't they explain their decision? You need to know if you ever decide to apply there again.

Mar 20, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

yale rejection came in the mail today.

Mar 20, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

sorry. akilovesnana. thanks for the update. hope to have mine soon too :)

Mar 20, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

yeah, no news for sciarc m.arch 1 yet...

Mar 20, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

...and sorry for the yale rejection, Akilovesnana. I put mine on the fridge. I mean, it is an $85 rejection letter.

Mar 20, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

clarito it was post marked the 16th hopefully you'll get in or waitlisted. rejection letters are no fun.

hallojii-good idea on the fridge.

Mar 20, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

thanks akilovesnana. you're right. here's hoping your other letters will leave all be good news.

Mar 20, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

hmm.. not sure where that "leave" came from... clearly i need to stop working entirely and just focus on this thread.

Mar 20, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

brightside - i got my pratt acceptance last week on 17/3 (email). it's got a copy of the acceptance letter (as attachment) and the email says a hard copy and an enrollment guide will be mailed out.
It went into my junk folder so remember to check it!

Mar 20, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

kristin - i want to come to barcelona with you!!

Mar 20, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, I finally got my $85 rejection letter from Yale today. At least I'm in good company. When I become a world-famous starchitect, I'll be sure to have this letter framed on my office wall.

The score:

“I’m sure I’d feel much worse if I weren’t under such heavy sedation.”
-- This is Spinal Tap

Mar 20, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
n_

barcelona....ahhh my favorite city.

i'm actually planning on going to grad school there in 2008 and getting this degree:

http://www.uic.es/master-architecture-cooperation/

Mar 20, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

...and I'll stay at home and distill whiskey all day!

Mar 20, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

...and use all my rejection letters as napkins and paper boat hats!

Mar 20, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Yale rejection came in the male yesterday. fun! reminds me of being an actor.

· 
bowling_ball

I sent an email today, asking about what's happening with the letters that were supposed to be sent out March 9th. I got this message back just now (quicker than expected):

"I will be away on holidays form March 19 to April 3.
Please be advised that all letters for the Fall 2007 admissions have been mailed out on March 16."

SOOOOO...... that's not bad news at all... but it does mean I now won't be getting any more sleep until my letter arrives.

Can't blame her for going on vacation, either.... ;)

· 

What school is it you're waiting on slantsix?

Mar 20, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
n_

if i was an admissions person, i would definatly take a nice 3 week vacation around accpetance,rejection time. she is a wise lady.

Mar 20, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

LIG,

saw your Spinal Tap quote. Rented C. Guest's 'For Your Consideration' yesterday and it is eerily akin to our present frenzy. Anyway, check it out as it might help with the sedation.

Mar 20, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

re: my current mood...

"it begs the question: how much more black could it be?

...and the answer is none...none more black."

Mar 20, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ah, well. I hear Yale blows anyway.

Mar 20, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: