Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

I also just chatted with RIT, who said I should hear from them 'shortly'. When I asked them to clarify that word, 'shortly', they said 'within the next month'.

within the next month DOES NOT EQUAL shortly!!!!!!!

Mar 20, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

rationalist...what program did you apply to at RIT?

Mar 20, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

My GF and I work in Interior design, so we're already talking about going out on our own.

We have recently come up with a fabulous screenplay idea.....

and another for a really cool puzzle.

all is well.

Mar 20, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Graphic design, minor in industrial design. It's wierd that they have minors for grad students, but cool.

Mar 20, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

next month = eternity

Mar 20, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Very cool. I did my undergrad at RIT in Industrial Design. The program has changed QUITE a bit since I graduated in 2001. It is one of the better ID programs on the east coast. They take a very realistic and materials oriented approach to design. Just be ready to be in the middle nowhere in upstate NY.

Mar 20, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

exactly, brer, exactly. I may have shot myself by then.

Entasis- yeah, that's a big reason why they're not exactly at the top of my list. But if they give me good funding, I'm probably there.

Unless I talk myself into thinking that UW is the only school for me withing the next month. Which looks like a possibility.

Mar 20, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Looks like I'll probably be looking for a place in NYC this summer. Any GSAPP acceptees want to rent me a room starting July 1st?

Mar 20, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Well, good luck. Either way, you have some great choices!

Mar 20, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

I recommend doing summer in Ibiza and working your way west from there.

Mar 20, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

Sorry for the negative tone. Perhaps deep down I'm trying to draw from the boards someone who might prove the ill-fated theory incorrect and enforce the remaining possibilities. I’m hopeful that a lot of the remaining folks will hear good news in the coming days and I’m right there with you all, wishing and hoping. Congratulations to the ones with acceptances. Anyone looking to trade a Yale or Columbia admission for a GSD (wouldn’t it be great if we could actually do that?) contact me.

Mar 20, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

I got into UCLA MArch I so I'm not worried about anything anymore. Everywhere I go little birds are chirping and the sun is shining (even though it's actually pretty grey and gross in LA today)

But come on other schools!! Tell me already so I can start apartment hunting and sign up for summer school and give my boss an exit date. It doesn't sound quite as exciting when I stand on the roof top and scream "I'm going to UCLA! ... (unless I'm accepted to Berkeley or MIT in which case I need to reevaluate everything and try to save up some more cash maybe take a long weekend to visit the schools… )!"

Here's how I think it should go:

Today: Yale / Harvard rejection
Wednesday: Columbia rejection
Thursday: Berkeley / SCI-Arc
Friday: MIT

So if admissions could get on that I'd really appreciate it. And if anyone waits a month to notify I will stab you with a pencil.

Mar 20, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

has anyone received finacial info from UCLA yet?

Mar 20, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

I just got the official Yale rejection letter in my mailbox. Yay! It's printed on quite exquisite paper stock and looks to have been actually signed in ink.

Mar 20, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

I use F lead and it just breaks off.

Mar 20, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

kristin_kai - I also have thumb tacks and super glue. We could fashion your mouse into a mini-mace. They won't know what hit 'em.

cpnorris-no word on financial aid.

Mar 20, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

I'm also waiting on financial aid info for CCA and SCAD. CCA doesn't even send info on merit scholarships until the same time as financial aid, so I'm completely clueless on that one.

I'm not sure that a strong financial aid showing would put SCAD back in the running though... The director of the program at UW almost started bashing them, and then recollected himself and said, "Well, it's not my place to say. I just think you've got much better options to choose from." I don't want to have to encounter that reaction everywhere I go. Plus they want me to take four prerequisites, and two of them are complete bullshit.

Mar 20, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

what are the prereqs?

Mar 20, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I have had multiple friends attend SCAD and leave because they did not like it.

Of those multiple went to the Portfolio Center and loved it...I know other graphic designers that also enjoyed RISD, Cranbrook, CCA, Pratt, Parsons and Art Center...all good programs.

I don't know anything about UW.

Mar 20, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

kristin, make it the Dalmatian Coast in Croatia and I'm there.

Mar 20, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

prereqs were: History of Graphic Design (legit, only taken Arch. history), Typography 2 (legit, only taken one semester), a beginning computers class (bullshit, they're not counting the one I took at architecture school that taught me photoshop, pagemaker, basic web design, in addition to cad and formz), and Graphic Design II (hoping that my publication design class could fulfill that, since again, if they saw fit to give me a scholarship based on my portfolio, I'm obviously not doing that badly).

jasoncross- UW's strengths are in publication design and exhibit/environmental graphics design, which perfectly corresponds with my interests. It's not a big-name glam program, but what they have fits well with what I'm into, and the opportunities to TA and do independent (paid) projects with different departments in the university are pretty sweet.

Mar 20, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

sounds like an interesting program from what you have mentioned.

Mar 20, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

i finalized my plan b this morning as everyone else has fashioned theirs. i decided i'll apply to my dream school art center for environmental design.
kristin - by the way barcelona is a great idea. do you speak catalan?

Mar 20, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

yale reject
i am.

dedalus, seriously considering your columbia / gsd trade...
waiting for official word, though.

Mar 20, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

kristin, no they didn't. But they had previously asked whether I'd gotten any acceptances yet, at which time I'd had to say 'no' as it was still February, so I updated them that I'd been accepted to CCA and SCAD since we last talked about it.

I'm actually worried that I may have slipped in their eyes by mentioning it. But the "to what other schools are you applying" question was on their app, so I'd assumed they knew I was applying there already. I feel like I should have kept my trap shut, about SCAD at least. But it's too late now.

Mar 20, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

so, i was doing a lovely job of staying off this thread today, and actually getting work done, until nc state sent me an email. now, i was already rejected by them via snail mail that was received last monday the 12th. so this email says that a decision about my acceptance has been rendered. well no shit! i already know i'm not in. it goes on to say that it is now available online and may show that it has been updated, so now my interest is peaked, and i log on and check. it's a letter from the dean of the school of architecture this time, instead of from the graduate admissions office. it says that based on the decision of the graduate admissions office to not recommend my application, for the same reasons, the dean concurs with their decision. now, i ask you, was this additional rejection absolutely necessary? maybe if they did not concur, but instead decided to reverse the initial decision, then maybe an additional letter is warranted, but just to "concur" with the original rejected? really, i don't need to know that!! so, i am now at 4 no's from 3 schools, and waiting to hear from 3 more schools. this is a truly lovely day.

Mar 20, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

4 'no's from 3 schools is ridiculous. What an ego, to feel you need to reconfirm that you are rejecting someone. It's like telling someone who gave you their number that you don't like them, and then calling them the following friday night to remind them that you won't be going out that evening.

Mar 20, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
They cursed us. Rejected, rejected they called us. They cursed us and drove us away!
And we wept, Precious. We wept to be so alone.
And we forgot the taste of bread, the sound of trees, the softness of the wind. We even forgot our own name. My Prrrreciousss.

Mar 20, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

nicey - you got it. Yale or Col. for GSD. Lets make it happen.... somehow.

Mar 20, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

oh my Gin. That was creepy.

Mar 20, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

... until I saw the picture. And now it's funny.

for some reason the pictures don't load automatically for me, I have to right-click and say 'show picture'.

Mar 20, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

continental bonus miles eligibility in the mail today. yippie.

nothing from schools. i'm thrilled to have heard from any schools, but i'm dying to know about my top choices.

argh!

Mar 20, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Speaking of bonus miles....wow a trip from Boston to LA is only $284 roundtrip! Makes it hard NOT to visit the UCLA open house! The UP open house is April 11th...when is the architecture one--anybody?

Mar 20, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

UCLA arch open house is April 1st and 2nd

Mar 20, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

any word on other open houses? the internet is painfully slow today.
columbia? mit? berkeley? etc?

Mar 20, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
+i

uva, march 30th

Mar 20, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Thanks, cpnorris. I guess that's cool, I really didn't need to know in advance or anything! Sheesh!

Howevs, if I do get into the other half of my dual-degree program, then I have a legit excuse to take a loooooong vacation in L.A.! April 1st through the 12th (yeah right, work) W00T

Mar 20, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

Clairito, berkeley is april 6th/7th. can't remember off the top of my head, but MIT is either the 5th or 6th...whichever one GSD isn't.

Mar 20, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

thanks neat! :-)

Mar 20, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

clarito- columbia m.arch I open house- april 4th

Mar 20, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

kristen_kai: count me in!

Mar 20, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

brightside- I count that which is said by those who have been here for the commiseration long-haul as much more likely to be truthful than that which is said by people who only just popped up. I trust all you guys whose pain and anxiety has been here with mine day after day, but these johnny-come-lately's? Meh.

Mar 20, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Same here. I don't trust 'em.

Mar 20, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

brightside,
when you say "updated".....updated from what?
Did they give you any idea when we would find out???
I am dying here. I have worn out my mouse by clicking reload on these pages, haha.

Mar 20, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

brightside,

one of my friends recieved an acceptance to pratt for the M.Arch last week. I dont remember how she found out (online, mail, etc.). Good luck!!!

Mar 20, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

alas, I have to continue to wait for my news from Pratt.... when I called last week, they said they'd be notifying for communications design, "next week or the week after".

At least it's not as bad as "within the next month".

Mar 20, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
lennon

is there really no one admitted to gsd this week?

Mar 20, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
lennon

i mean m.arch1 specifically..

Mar 20, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
lennon

any inside info? anyone?

Mar 20, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

seems like everyone was admitted last week to GSD. I haven't seen anyone post an acceptamce since last friday

Mar 20, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: