Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

cpnorris

Yeah thats the prof that I met with when I visited. He is the former dean of the school. Super nice guy. A lot of the grad students TA for him. That is the guy I would be asking about TA stuff if I were to end up in Austin.

Mar 19, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Apparently that class is one of the most popular classes at UT and the whole idea behind that class is brilliant. You offer an intro to architecture class open to any major so everyone can learn about, and begin to understand the importance of, architecture. Then the students either want to become architects like OD86 or will most likely hire an architect later in life when they have a more lucrative career.

Mar 19, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

cpnorris - I hope you are right. They told me the same thing in general over the phone.

UT would be a perfect fit for sure.

Mar 19, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

just got the big envelope from UCLA....i am so excited

accepted to M-Arch 1...i am pulling for the rest of you guys

Mar 19, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

congrats mctwist!

Mar 19, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

jason - there is a lot of opportunity there for sure. however, they won't just hand you a TA position, you have to talk with professors and make that happen but it shouldn't be hard. A co-worker of mine went to UT and she TA'd every semester after her first semester. She was a TA for Larry Speck too. He would be a good person to start with.

congratulations mctwist!! that was your first choice right?

Mar 19, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

I'm getting so excited for you guys.

More and more depressed for myself, of course.

Mar 19, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Yup, a friend of mine got a full scholarship from UT Austin a few years back. So I imagine they are quite generous with their money if they really want you.

Mar 19, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
tsquare

how many of you who got into gsd are actually 3yr m.arch 1?

Mar 19, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Like I posted before, the GSD has a projected class of 59 for MArch I in the 2007 academic year.

Mar 19, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
miami

GSAPP!! IN!!

Mar 19, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

wow. miami. congrats! which program? notified via postal mail?

Mar 19, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Congrats miami, you must be excited!

Mar 19, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
miami

March I, via postal mail!

Mar 19, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
tsquare

balagan, that;s not what i was asking

Mar 19, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

tsquare - Or do you mean those of us on archinect?

Mar 19, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

miami, are you in... miami?

seriously, though...
how were you notified?

Mar 19, 07 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

miami, when was it postmarked?

Mar 19, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

c'moooooon 40 pages! Go Go Go!

Mar 19, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
miami

March 14

Mar 19, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

can someone please call ucla and tell them to hurry up with notifying. thanks.

Mar 19, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

It sounds like there was a wave of acceptances to GSD and GSAPP in the last few days. Has anyone been rejected yet? (am i allowed to ask that?)

Mar 19, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

i applied for the march 1

Mar 19, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
axial753

all,

i just heard from toshiko and scott cohen that this year is the most competitive year, ever.

Mar 19, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

how did you hear that?

Mar 19, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
axial753

my boss is friends with them.

even columbia, and berkeley have told us the same thing

Mar 19, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Looks like I picked the wrong year to apply... Somebody give me a heads-up when it looks like all the other applicants will be slackers.

Mar 19, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

LiG - HA!

Mar 19, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
axial753

totally wrong year to apply!

but still happy for those who got accepted already.

Mar 19, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

hmmm, so that's why i was faring better last year.....

Mar 19, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
protegem5

First Time posting, Just letting everyone know accepted gsapp ms advanced archchitectual design program. For everyones info letter was dated march 13 and I live in southern California. Really plain envelope not as nice as my undergrad letters from sci-arc and artcenter but oh well at least it was good new. Since all my eggs were in one basket. Oh and dont visit this site to much it will make you crazy.
lates

Mar 19, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Hello all, I am another poor soul waiting to hear from Pratt. Any news from anyone? I am march1.

Mar 19, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Accepted to UCLA M.Arch 1!!!

Mar 19, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
axial753

Joe Bloggs - yes, and gsd

Mar 19, 07 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'd be curious to know what causes some years to be ultra-competitive and some years not so much. Are economic factors at work (more people heading back to school when the economy is facing a downturn), or is the whole process becoming steady more competitive year after year as kristin_kai implies? Or is it just a random fluke?

Speculate away...

Mar 19, 07 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Received my rejection letter from Yale (MArch I) today.

Where's WonderK? I need my mommy.

Mar 19, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

baboomba where are you located? i probably will recieve mine tomarrow?

Mar 19, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

No fair! I want a rejection from Yale too!

Mar 19, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

me too!!! oooh i wanna go home already and check the mail. (is it bad that i'm being dead serious?)

Mar 19, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

I am in Houston, Texas.

MFs. I even went up there over vacation to check out surrounding areas for housing and schools for my daughter. Shit, I watched to New Haven St. Patrick's Day Parade from right across the street.

I still think my current boss sabotaged my application with a bad rec (disguised as a mediocre rec to seem genuine). Actually I know he did; I snuck a peek at the rec. Ahole. I'm going to deck him.

Did I mention I just had two margaritas?

Mar 19, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ouch, that sucks... I almost asked my current boss for a recommendation, but decided against it for that same reason. Also, if my bosses had written some letters for me, they're the type who would then hang it over me and guilt-trip me into working 80 hours of unpaid overtime.

Mar 19, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
hallojii

yeah I think I'll totally get my Yale rejection tomorrow.

sci-arc needs to hurry the hell up! anyone m.arch 1'ers heard sciarc news yet?

Mar 19, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, LIG, nothing yet? That's bullshit.

Tell you what. If it would make you feel any better, I'll rent a van and buy a couple of ski masks and we'll go take care of business.

Mar 19, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Still nothing.

Bob Stern, take heed.

Mar 19, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

That's how we roll, dog.

Mar 19, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Ooh! Excellente' with a capital apostrophe! I just realized I have three more bottles of Shiner Kolsch in the fridge left over from last night. I'm going to drink them and watch "Sideways" again. That sucker company is paying for the hotel again tonight so I might as well take advantage of it.

Mar 19, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

i got my yale rejection today too :( and to top it off i also got an email today that said "Academic Award Notification", but when i opened it i realized it was only some lottery scam. damnit!!!! bamboomba, i think you should "take care of" those people too!

Mar 19, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

By the way baboomba, how did your presentation go? Did you make sure to puke all over the conference room table?

Mar 19, 07 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

oh yeah, and where has WonderK been? I miss her too. And what the heck ever happened to Seopee? You know, the person who actually started this thread.....

Mar 19, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
mobarchitecture

I too got my thin envelope today from Yale MArch II...... I will have to use my GSD acceptance letter as a tissue.

Tweet

Mar 19, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: