Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Buckity

Sorry, NoSleep. Do you have other schools to consider yet?

Mar 19, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Waiting to hear from three other schools that should be sending out acceptance/decline by April 1.

Mar 19, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
+i

daedalus,
after the calls i received my reject letter- i was post-pro though, so i dont know if i fell into the same category

Mar 19, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
+i

to anyone who didnt get into school-
i know going to grad school was what you really wanted to do- but maybe my story is a bit of encouragement- last year i had my heart set on going to grad school. i was rejected. and dreaded going to work because all i really wanted to do was pursue my research. but going to work turned out to be the best thing i could have done. in my year of working i have learned SO much and i used it to my advantage- i got my research published on the national level- i made a huge presentation in my firm about the necessity for research studios- and got my finances in order. it turned out to be the best decision of my life (well it was a forced decision, but still). i applied again this year, and got in. so now i'm much more prepared and focused and i have a much clearer picture of what i want to do and where i want to go.

look at this as a huge opportunity...

Mar 19, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
lullaby

+i

did you mean GSD M.arch 2? I mean the rejection..

sorry for asking bad thing again...

Mar 19, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
+i

yep

Mar 19, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

+i - the first time you applied did you have any work experience?

Mar 19, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
+i

i was in my thesis year (5th yr) of a b.arch. i had some internships (3 of them) throughout my b.arch career. the biggest thing was that i earned 3 major university awards *after* my applications were submitted. one of them was "best thesis" and another was a university president's award. this made a big difference. as well as getting published. i have to say i didnt include my of my professional projects in my portfolio because i was more concerned with research. my professional projects have been an addendum to my portfolio.

sorry for the long answer.

Mar 19, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

does anyone think i can call pratt or columbia to find out my application status or should I just wait until friday?

Mar 19, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I think you know the answer.

Mar 19, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

actually i don't, that's why i'm asking

Mar 19, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

you can email them from the address on your application - they shouldn't tell you over the phone.

Mar 19, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
miami

that's not negative or anything jasoncross!

Mar 19, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

If you want an answer you know the answer.

Mar 19, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

how zen of you brer.

I didn't get into Yale. I am filled with hate and bile now.

Mar 19, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

ok, this is the last time i'm asking for advice here. you're being a bunch of fricking jerks

· 
chupacabra

knowing you are going to have to wait like everyone else to get answers is negative? please. If you want to call someone and ask, do it. If not, don't. why do you have to ask a discussion board for validation of your own actions? plenty of people have called the schools they are waiting on, and all were told, you will have to wait for the answer.

miami - your assumption of what I was even talking about was wrong.

goodluck everyone, and r e l a x...hard to do but you can't make time move any faster than it already is, sorry.

· 
wellywellywell

Awww Kalyani!!

Don't leave us :( Some of us are nice and supportive!

Mar 19, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
miami

easy there.. i was kidding. jc, you couldn't be more correct. patience is a virtue.

Mar 19, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If I haven't heard anything by April 1st, I'll start calling whatever schools I'm still waiting on.

Mar 19, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

man... i could go for some of this "patience" you speak of.

Mar 19, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

haha, i'm not leaving welly, i just wish people wouldn't be so sarcastic with their remarks....it's really not necessary. and i am trying to be patient. it's just that this year has been one of the worst years of my life and i have a lot more at stake this time around.

Mar 19, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

I think you could definitely call them if you feel that strongly about it, but I wouldn't bank on getting a straight answer.

Mar 19, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

you can do what i do. i assume i have been rejected from every program i haven't heard from yet and have started planning for the next year. then if i do get rejected, i won't be so disappointed. and if i get accepted, then i'll be pleasantly surprised.

the only downside is i'm driving my bf nuts because i'm so "depressed" i didn't get into any schools, only i haven't received any outright rejections yet. it's kind of amusing though.

Mar 19, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm following the same strategy... Pretty much moving forward with my "Plan B" until I'm presented with a reason not to.

Mar 19, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
lullaby

I sent email out for the final decision to school and then…finally I got an email from them.

They said…The decisions will be sent out by early April. I appreciate your patience.

Is it positive or nothing? Appreciate for waiting reject mail?

Mar 19, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
+i

i think that if the open house date passes and you havent heard anything, then you pretty much know your answer

Mar 19, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

rejection is a part of life. it builds character.

Mar 19, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

thanks guys, i'm going to wait until april 1 like LIG before i call any schools

Mar 19, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

big envelope for columbia's MUP program today...

still waiting to hear from GSD and MIT. anyone else?

Mar 19, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

congrats poison! is the MUP open house the same time as MArch I?

Mar 19, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

any word from berkeley? someone posted on here that they were going to inform "soon"... any idea how soon is soon? and how they inform?

Mar 19, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

April 5?

Mar 19, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

so i was looking on grad cafe and i guess a few people got into berkeley last week by email...thats the big one i am waiting on

i went to visit OSU this weekend, and its an awsome program. its got the most amazing studios i have seen yet, and the professors seem to be top notch. it seems to be fairly up and coming, and could be a great program. anyone else have any experience with OSU?

Mar 19, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

My plan of waking up and finding my acceptance letter in the mail this morning didn't pan out, as usual.

At least getting nothing is better than a rejection letter.

I think I'm going to start moving on to plan B as well, or at least try to focus more on schoolwork and less on worrying. I was going to call the school today, but I'm in another city and that's just not possible until at least tomorrow.

Mar 19, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

baboomba -- how was your beer and movies hooky session? i've been drinking fairly heavily over the last week as well, but since i have high school buddies in town, i can rationalize that i have an excuse other than to quell my anxiety.

LiG -- i'm with you on the plan b...i've actually been researching and pursuing my back-up for the last 3 weeks. being an older applicant with a family, i've pretty much come to the conclusion that i won't pursue architecture as a career if i don't get into school this year. i'll do the mba thing and end up being one of those annoying, "wannabe architect" clients!

still keeping my fingers crossed...

Mar 19, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

UCLA MArch I - accepted via mail...large manila envelope.

Mar 19, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

jc: where do you live?

Mar 19, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

congrats jason!!!!

Mar 19, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, jason!

Mar 19, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Albuquerque, New Mexico...post dated the 15th.

Thanks!

Mar 19, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

WOOPS, I meant CONGRATS! (and then my question)

Thanks jason!

Mar 19, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Good Work Jason!!

Mar 19, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

jason - are you still entertaining the possibility of going anywhere else besides UT?

Mar 19, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

oh and congratulations!!

Mar 19, 07 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

well see...but as of right now I am heavily weighted towards UT...but I am not receiving money from UT...and I still have a few schools yet to hear from...If one were to give me some money I would definitely consider it.

Mar 19, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

well the thing about UT, from what I was told during my visit there, is that they don't give out much money in recruitment scholarships. But once you are in they have a ton of scholarships available and I was told that 75% of the students there receive some type of aid. And with your experience I'm sure you would have no problem becoming a T.A.

Mar 19, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

I took an intro architecture course at UT a couple of years ago. I recall my TA telling me that the majority of M.Arch students do TA work. I was in a class of like 300 students, and we had sections of about 20 students each, each run by a TA. And that was just one course. So yeah, lots of spots.

Mar 19, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

was that class with Larry Speck?

Mar 19, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

Yes! That's what finally made me decide that I wanted to take the plunge and go into architecture. That man is the best professor I've ever had.

Mar 19, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: