Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

cpnorris

the people I talked to at GSD that applied for AP didn't get it. It seems that pretty much no one gets it. It was similar to the story at Yale. They said they got out of taking structures but had to replace those credits with electives. So there credit load was the same as everyone else, they just didn't take structures.

Mar 16, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
miami

at the GSD, unlike Yale, though, you apply only for AP. If you don't get AP, you don't get anything.

Mar 16, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I always knew this year's grad school choices were a reach for me anyway... Next year I'll be in a much better position academically and financially, and I'll most likely employ more of a "shotgun" approach to grad school applications. I'll likely apply to most of the same Ivies, but also to some more places where the odds (and tuition bills) aren't quite as steep.

Mar 16, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

pretty sure thats not true. i talked to quite a few students since i also applied there for AP. its not that black and white. a lot of it depends on where you went to undergrad and your experience. if you don't get into AP then you get put into the non-AP pool of students.

Mar 16, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
miami

i sure hope you're right! when I went to the open house, they named a few schools that usually get AP, and mine was one of them. lets see what happens.

Mar 16, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

miami - where did you go to undergrad?

Mar 16, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

same here LIG, i feel like i've learned a lot through this process, especially through the shared information on archinect (muchachos thanks to ev. on archinect), so hopefully next year? i'm pretty down to plan this better financially as well.

i didn't find out about archinect until i had already sent all of stuff out...i think my portfolio is of an entirely different aesthetic than everyone elses. i think i might have totally missed the mark on this one.

to make matters worse. about three nights ago, i had a dream that i got into gsd and yale. very cruel. my dream sequence went as far as me getting ready for my first day of school. of course, it was beyond disappointing when i woke up becuase in asian cultures, if you dream about something you want, it's not supposed to happen. it's like conservation of luck or some stupid sht like that.

Mar 16, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

deviant, don't worry too much. i know sci-arc specifically were admitting people upto march 30th last year!

Mar 16, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm close to leaving for the (green) weekend, so unless something magical arrives in my mailbox, which I will check when I get home, I probably won't be back until Monday. Good luck everyone, and my advice is to stay drunk the whole weekend.....remember, this is one of the few times of the year where this is acceptable so you will have an excuse at least.

Mar 16, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
miami

went to UVA undergrad.

Mar 16, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

Kristin: I figured that Cal Poly could be my backup.

UCLA: probably a far reach for me
Sci-Arc: plausible
Cal Poly: most plausible

I dont have any fine art background whatsoever so I really don't know how my portfolio stands in terms of other non arch background applicants...I graduated USC w/ a degree in bullshitting (business admin)...

I know Cal Poly isn't what it used to be but i must admit that if that is the only institution that lets me in, i plan to go...i ain't getting any younger (28)

Mar 16, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

i didn't meet any UVA students at GSD so I have no reference for that. I did meet quite a few U.Penn students at both GSD and Yale and none of them got advanced placement. I think they may have gotten out of structures but I'm not sure about that.

Anyways, if you apply for AP and don't get it that doesn't mean you don't get anything. My boss went to GSD and he applied for AP and didn't get it but he still got in to the M.Arch 1 program.

Mar 16, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

I just got a voicemail from Toshiko Mori! :) :) :)

I haven't spoken to her yet....

Mar 16, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Holy shit... Congrats!

Mar 16, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

LiG, Thank you!

I'm staring at my cell waiting for it to ring again... I had to leave a message when I called back.

Mar 16, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

heh.... Phone tag with Toshiko Mori.

(Hopefully she's busy calling my home number right now, which is why she couldn't take your call.)

Mar 16, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

I hope you're right!!

Mar 16, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

tokyo, big congrats! are you march1?

Mar 16, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

Hi Neat,

Yes, I am M.Arch. 1. I haven't spoken to her yet. I hope I'm not setting myself up for some ironic situation by posting that I got a voicemail.

eeek. I'm so stupidly superstitious about this stuff!

Mar 16, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

Balagan- it was a number I didn't recognize, and then when an asian woman asked my name I realized who it was. I just said thank you a lot and got really happy. I'll look for you at the Open House.

Mar 16, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

damn whyd my phone have to get cut off now!!!!

Mar 16, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
miami

i wonder when she'll stop for the day....

Mar 16, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

i hate my fucken job...sorry, had to let it out...damn i need a glass of scotch...

Mar 16, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

*eyebrow raised*

What bottle did you tap?

Mar 16, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

geimanj or tokyoDrifter

Did you guys get the call before you got the envelope?

Mar 16, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

ded- Yeah. I have not received anything in the mail from the GSD yet.

Mar 16, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

geimanj - you must be on cloud nine, congrats!

Mar 16, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

Ded, I haven't gotten anything in the mail from the GSD.

Mar 16, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

geimanj and tokyoDrifter, you guys have portfolios online?

Mar 16, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

tokyoDrifter - well done, great accomplishment.

Mar 16, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
silken

Looks like I'll probably be joining you guys at GSD for M.Arch I. Got the call, but it will be hard since I have a really good offer from Cornell, as well as UVa and Columbia.

Can someone sum up why GSD is as fantastic as it is?

Mar 16, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
+i

silken, did you get funding info from UVA yet?

Mar 16, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
miami

she's still calling now?

Mar 16, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
silken

I don't think they've made decisions yet about funding, although I didn't apply for it.

Mar 16, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Silken: Is your portfolio online anywhere? I'd love to take a gander at it.

Mar 16, 07 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
+i

yeah, it said they were sending em out starting tomorrow- but i wasnt sure if maybe you had called and found out--- are you m.arch 1/path a for uva?

Mar 16, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
fivepass

silken:: congrats...is your potfolio online?

Mar 16, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
silken

I'm not entirely comfortable posting my work on the Internet. I'm non-arch background and it consisted of work done during summer arch. programs and about 30-40 drawings.

Mar 16, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
+i

yeah they said theyd start sending out starting yesterday- thought maybe you called and found out- but nevermind...

are you path a/m.arch1?

Mar 16, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
silken

M. Arch. 1

Mar 16, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I think it is mostly what you are exposed to while you are there. As one of there professors told me, it is "the international airport of architecture" because anything and everything architecture comes through there. Lectures, exhibits, traveling faculty, etc. There are usually multiple events going on each day.

The energy in the school is really great and when you get that many qualified students in one big room everyone is pushing everyone else to be better designers and produce better projects. There seems to be a solid commeradery among all the studenst but I don't know that its necassarily worth the money to be there if another school is offering you money. The pay off may not be worth it but thats for you to decide.

The only negative thing anyone said about it to me was that often times you don't get much face time with faculty. Its a stepping stone for them and they may have other agenda's. Not to say that all their faculty is like that cause they're not but you have to be aware of it i guess, esp. if you feel you are going to need a bit of guidance.

hopefully +q or another current student will chime in and give a first hand opinion.

Mar 16, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
silken

Thanks cpnorris, that's pretty much what I understood to be the case.

Mar 16, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

Thanks, Dedalus!

I'm still debating about showing my portfolio. I don't have a background in architecture so seeing some of the other---very impressive---ones thus far has made me somehow reluctant.

Mar 16, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

Silken, you'll be at both GSD and GSAPP open houses? are archinect name tags in order? ;)

Mar 16, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Sometimes I wonder if some of the portfolios from non-arch background people actually have somewhat of an advantage over those of us with architecture backgrounds. I have 11 years worth of roof details and door schedules I could've included in my portfolio, but I'd probably have been better off if I had more of a fine arts background with some painting, sculpture, and/or photography.

Mar 16, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
101W101

GSD, M.Arch I --- ACCEPTED!!!!!!

I almost passed out when Toshiko Mori called me. She had a 212 number (NYC) and caught me totally by surprise. I am totally dreaming...

Mar 16, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, 101W101!

[resumes beating head against wall]

Mar 16, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
miami

there's still time. just because she doesnt call today doesn't mean you're not in.

Mar 16, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
+i

dont sweat it LIG... green beers all around!

Mar 16, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

I think I'm going to go meditate, and if the phone rings, it better bloody be Toshiko....

Mar 16, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: