Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

miami

Berkeley where are you????

Mar 16, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 

don't expect to hear from Berkeley till next week; atleast that's what last year indicates.

Mar 16, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
miami

darn.

Mar 16, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
miami

did anyone get Yale March I AP? Do they tell you that later?

Mar 16, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
DEVicox

there is no Yale AP.

Mar 16, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

you can't apply for AP at Yale. it said in the app that AP is dealt with after the fact. from what I heard from the current students its not really handed out much. you may get structures and/or systems waived but thats about it.

Mar 16, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

anyone hear anything from GSD yet? any packages?

Mar 16, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

fuzzy - Thanks a lot, haha no, the excitement is still sinking in, but I'll have some time to think about this tomorrow.

Mar 16, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

What is the criteria for getting structures waived? I wonder.

*cracking knuckles*

Mar 16, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'd imagine it would involve taking a comparible structures (or building technology) class as part of a pre-professional BA or BS in Architectural Studies program.

Mar 16, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

If you have taken structures already then you need to tal to the school and probably the structures prof. and they will waive it if they think you don't need it. I'm sure it depends on where you went to undergrad. They know a lot about all the other schools.

Mar 16, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

So do you think that, for example, having a previous master's degree in engineering would be enough to get structures waived?

Mar 16, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

haha. yeah i would hope that would count.

Mar 16, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

Namby, not so much that they would just waive it but rather---statics being statics--- there might be a Credit By Exam where one could study up on specific applications to buildings and then try to test out. I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard work to do that even, but freeing up some time to focus on studio would be lovely and would be worth a week of structures cramming before getting to school in the fall. That said, I probably won't look into it too aggressive. I would hate to be "that guy." And you've already promised to sit next to me, so that would worth the extra lecture each week. :)

Mar 16, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
fuzzy_atelier

Balagan,

Nothing but excitements for your acceptances!! :)

What did they send you in that bubble pack? Any 'veritas' table cloth or napkin?!? How I wish I get a bubble pack too!!

Mar 16, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

tD, i've not only promised to sit next to you, but to pack your lunch. It BETTER be worth the lecture.

Mar 16, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

BTW for those of you going to UCLA...

I just went to a lecture by Hitoshi Abe yesterday, on his past works and philosphies of design. He came across as pretty down to earth and easy to approach, with no "starchitect" attitude. He was nursing a cold at the time, and with a sore throat talked for 2.5 hours and answered questions from the field with utter patience. So maybe I think you guys will be in pretty good hands. I must say, they got some very good structural engineers in Japan! Some of his projects....kick ass structurally.

Mar 16, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

i went and visited yale recently and ran into a student there that i went to undergrad with. he "tested out" of structures, but don't let the name fool you cause it didn't require any sort of test or studying or anything other than meeting with the prof.

Mar 16, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

uzshef

I probably won't be at the Yale open house, it doesn't work in my schedule. However, I will be visiting that week, and it could be just as good if not better to visit the school not on the open house (though I guess both would be best).

I've met some Yale students before and they seemed very happy with the program. Though I don't know any MarchII's.

Mar 16, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

fuzzy-

Haha, nope, just simple and classy as you would expect of the GSD.

A student handbook, and a folder with lotsa information brochures, reply forms, a letter from Toshiko Mori (M.Arch II), another from Rodolfo Machado (MaUD), and yet another from the admissions directors. All signed in person, though. Cool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55374665@N00/sets/72157600003172332/

Mar 16, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

kristin_kai -

Well, he delivered it in English, so when my friend gets his DV files converted I can post it to google video if you like. I think it should be pretty legible, although not so sure of the slides, you need to see them clearly to understand him.

Mar 16, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

I even asked him a joke question about him liking Gundams (I saw a pic of him holding one in a magazine once) and he took it all in stride, pretty chill guy.

Mar 16, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

fuzzy-

No, we don't have any little model cars or such in our packages. =_=

Why didn't I apply UMich? =P

Mar 16, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
fuzzy_atelier

Balagan,

Ermmm, what can I say... except that I don't think the bubble pack can even fit in my mailbox. :P

When do you have to return the forms? By snail mail only?

I can't sleep now. I'm getting too anxious... thanks to you. LOL.

Mar 16, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

Ack!!! I just got the call from Toshiko Mori! Accepted to GSD MArch1! Yahooo!!

Mar 16, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

holy shit, way to go geimanj!

Mar 16, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
fuzzy_atelier

Congratulations Geimanj!!

Mar 16, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

yeah geimanj!!!!!!!!!! thats awesome!!!!

Mar 16, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Sure, might take awhile though.

He's currently touring residential buildings with Hitoshi, who's here to serve as jury for the Taiwan Residential Architecture Awards. I'll post it in a seperate topic then.

Mar 16, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

got a letter from Columbia... ACCEPTED!!!! woot!!!

Mar 16, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

ClemsonDnB - right on. Congrats!

Mar 16, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

nice clemson! congratulations

Mar 16, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

congrats to you too geimanj! thats awesome

Mar 16, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

All right geimanj!!

I knew from your school search blog I'd love to be your classmate.

Are you gonna go? I'd love to meet you there!

Mar 16, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Nice Clemson! M.Arch 1?

Mar 16, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, geimanj and ClemsonDnB!

Mar 16, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
miami

now i'm all nervous.

Mar 16, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

BTW geimanj, how does it feel getting THE CALL?

I guess they don't call international applicants, though it would be fun to freak out after getting it, haha.

I know I jumped up and down for a few minutes before I called my mom, hehe.

Mar 16, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

yes M.Arch I balagan

Mar 16, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

I think i would flip out if toshiko mori called me haha. too bad my cell phone service has changed and i dont have my new number yet... so i wont be recieving any calls!

Mar 16, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Oh, I applied for Columbia MArch I advanced placement, maybe it's taking them longer because of that. Congrats anyhow!!

Mar 16, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

wow, seriously congrats to everyone on gsd and gsapp.

2 more implicit rejects for me!

Mar 16, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i'm sorry that is 3 more implict rejections, i forgot i'm pretty much rejected from yale too. lol.

Mar 16, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

congrats to all!

Mar 16, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

froccoli....

don't fret, never say never until you know for sure...hang in there...

i haven't heard shite from any 3 of the schools i applied to...i have a feeling its going to remain that way until the end of the month...shite, fack, and the everything else in between

Mar 16, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Yeah, same here FROCCLI... So far I've got implicit rejections from Cornell, GSD, Yale, and Columbia. All I need is for some people to start getting acceptances from UPenn, and I'll be 0 in 5.

This is turning into a thoroughly depressing month... Looks like I'll have another year to improve my portfolio and find some better references.

Mar 16, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

yeah hang in there people, this is far from over.

Mar 16, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
miami

do you guys think MArchI AP is a whole different batch for GSD?

Mar 16, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

This is part of my coping strategy... I'll continue assuming the worst, and then if/when I get accepted somewhere, it will come as a pleasant surpise.

If I go around assuming that I'll be living in Ithaca or Cambridge in six months, I'm bound for a hard letdown if/when the offical rejections finally arrive.

Mar 16, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

LiG:

i've done the same...i only applied to the so cal schools (UCLA, SCI Arc, and Cal Poly Pomona)...3 applications doesnt give me a whole lot of chances but i refuese to subject myself to extreme weather conditions when i dont have to...

ahh shietttt

Mar 16, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: