Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Living in Gin

Congrats, 8-2 and miss_j!

Pratt is on my list of schools to apply next year if 2007 shapes up the way I fear it will.

Nothing in my mailbox today except the usual bills and junk mail... *sigh*

Mar 16, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

LIG- where did you apply this year?

Mar 16, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

thanks so much LiG, cpnorris, kristin, deviant! you guys have been the best commisterators anyone could ask for. i really hope the best news for you guys.

cpnorris, i didn't call but they e-mailed me indicating they had the wrong email add in their systems. i still don't believe it...i feel like they're going to be like "OOPS" at any moment. if they do that, i will take legal action for emotional damages!

LiG...i just saw the pic you posted. hahahahah. you know i HAVE one those masks! it hasn't been used in over 8 years though.

Mar 16, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

congrats 82 on gsd!! if wish you could have asked toshiko for me what my verdict was.

Mar 16, 07 7:16 pm  · 
 · 

this time of year, junk mail is especially evil... artificially padding the mail pile.

still no word for me GSD M.arch II... not looking good.

Mar 16, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

LIG - i know it's easy to say but hang in there! i'm sure you'll receive some good news soon!

Mar 16, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Clairito: I applied to (in rough order of preference) Cornell, GSD, Yale, Columbia, and Penn. I spent two days at Cornell last fall and fell in love with the place, and had high hopes about going there in the fall... Not so sure about that idea now. GSD or Yale would certainly be awesome as well, but I'm more ambivalent about Columbia and Penn.

I'm planning to eventually end up back in NYC sooner or later, so I'm concentrating on schools within the region and with strong alumni networks in the city.

My backup plan, if all else fails, is to move to NYC this summer, work there for a year, save up some money and improve my portfolio, and try this whole game again next year with an expanded list of schools with a few more "safety" choices.

For whatever it's worth now: My portfolio, 2007.

Mar 16, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Wow this thread is addictive...
Let's have a wee confession here - how many pages do each of you think you have contributed to this thread alone???

Mar 16, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, my post count has risen by over 200 since the beginning of the month, and I haven't really been posting much on other threads.

Mar 16, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
mrtjr

this is the first year ETH will have a masters programm, did anyone else apply?!

Mar 16, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
lullaby

neat

I am in the same boat with you.
No word from GSD M.arch II.
where do you live? In US?
As far as i know 4 people already have got into the M.arch II program. Hopefully we can get some good news by end of the month ;)

Mar 16, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Living - Lovely portfolio. Man the more I see the more foolish I feel. I really had no idea what I was doing this time around. Although now I'm actually sorta super excited about what I can do with the next 9 months. Photography, Drawing, super slick layouts (I finally own InDesign). Hopefully a year from now I too can get some of these exciting phone calls (and Princeton e-jects) along with everyone else.

FYI-
UCLA, Harvard, MIT, Berkeley, SCI-Arc, Columbia
no word from anyone, sigh.

Mar 16, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

wow. i just got a call from toshiko! i am absolutely speechless right now. this is the most ridiculous thing i have ever experienced!

Mar 16, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

yay! froccli!! congrats :-)

Mar 16, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

i check this thread almost every day.. sometimes a couple times per day..

even i'm not applying this year ;)

reading this thread just make me want to go back to school sooner..

Mar 16, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Wow, FROCCLI. Congrats again! Toshiko must be working late tonight. I'm sure you'll be celebrating heavily this weekend.

And now you officially suck. :)

Mar 16, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

yea LiG i totally do suck now :( faaaack. but i hope you suck really big buffalo balls soon too.

the last couple of years have been hell for me and i feel that this is the least my life could do for me. haha. kidding. kind of. not really. last year, i got rejected by all the ivies, i worked my ass off for a year and tried again (was willing to try even another year if didn't get in anywhere this time). i guess it's encouraging to know that hard effort can stack up against all these people with amazing, instrinsic talent. i am really intimidated about starting in the fall tho.

Mar 16, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

thank you clarito :)

Mar 16, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

wow.. Congrats Froccli

did u jump up and down?! or scream?!

Mar 16, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

FROCCLI: I'd be curious to know how you improved your application over the course of a year, since I'm facing the possibility of being in the same boat you were in this time last year. I've already got a few thoughts about how to improve my portfolio, but I'm always open to more ideas. Feel free to email me privately if you'd prefer.

Mar 16, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Froccli - You know they wouldn't have admitted you if you couldn't cut it. You're clearly super talented, it just too you an extra year to prove it. :-)

Mar 16, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

k

Mar 16, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

C'mon! This is bullshit. Are you guys telling me that Toshiko Mori is calling people at 8:30 p.m. EST to notify people? That sounds like bullshit to me...especially since I HAVEN'T GOTTEN A CALL!

WHERE'S MY CALL? WHERE'S LIG'S CALL? WHERE'S CPNORRIS' CALL? WHERE'S BROCCOLIJET'S CALL?

These are the dudes that have been hanging on the thread for months. They deserve their day in the sun.

I hope you guys don't mind. Just my way of saying that I'm pulling for you.

Mar 16, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Sorry. Probably should have congratulated everyone who's received a call first. Congratulations!

Mar 16, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
n_

what which school is toshiko mori from? i am confused...

Mar 16, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Harvard. She is the Dean of Architecture.

Mar 16, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
fivepass

FROCCLI:: what does your last name begin with..im k...just wanted to see how far down she got on the list?

Mar 16, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, if she's going down a list alphabetically, I'm screwed, since my last name would have been near the top of the list.

Mar 16, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

Congrats Froccli, that's freakin' awesome!

It's kind of interesting that the Dean of Architecture is making all these calls—I'd think she'd be very busy dean-ing and so on.

Mar 16, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

anyone get postal mail today?

Mar 16, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

froccli - you said you applied last year to all the ivies but i thought harvard had a certain amount of time you had to wait before you could reapply if you were rejected.

congratulations by the way. this must be an amazing day for you. thats awesome. i will piss myself if i get into harvard and yale, especially if this occurs in the same day.

Mar 16, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

I don't think it's alphabetical - i have friends near the end of the alphabet who got calls. Maybe she's done already?

Mar 16, 07 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

GSD doesn't have a waiting period before re-applying, but they do have a three-application maximum. Once you've applied three times and have (presumably) been rejected three times, you can't apply again.

Mar 16, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

oh ok. thanks LIG

Mar 16, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

lullaby, good to know I'm not alone :)

I'm in Cali... so that's what I am hoping for, that the snail mail is extra snaily this time. Where are you?

okay, my wife thinks I'm pathetic for checking this board all day (so much for spouse sympathy). Well, she's right. So now I'm taking her out for a romantic dinner.

Have a good night y'all, go easy on the hardcore drugs alright?

Mar 16, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

i'm at 0-4 maybe i should start looking for a new job. eh.

Mar 16, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

any of you guys who recieved calls... did she say they will be sending out something in the mail soon? my phone got cut off so i dont know if i got a call or not!!! agonizing!!

Mar 16, 07 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
Specksynder

Hi first time i've posted, and i'm not trying to be a total wanker to those of you who haven't heard anything yet, but I got a call from Toshiko Mori today and I missed it. Also from a 212 and also at around 8pm est. Am I dumb to think i got in or should I just remain in this state of gut wrenching nausea that i am in now, and probably will be until monday, unless she does weekend calls.

Mar 16, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Congrats to everybody who got calls from some asian chick called Toshiko =)

Congrats to miss_j too, at least you got one down now, things tend to get better...I started out with SCI-Arc acceptance too, then Yale, then GSD...So keep your hopes up!

Why didn't we apply 2 years earlier, then I'd get to schmooze with Takuma Sato, my absolute idol of F1 idotry. =P

Mar 16, 07 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
haano

Columbia! I'm in. MArch I 3yrs.

Mar 16, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

sorry for being so negative!!!

UCLA MArch I !!!

Mar 16, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Congratulations!

How are you guys being notified? Are you getting phone calls or are you just now checking your mailboxes? Seems like these things are sort of rolling in all at once.

Mar 16, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Congrats Clairito!

As I said earlier, your new dean Hitoshi Abe seems like a chill person, so you'll be in good hands.

Mar 16, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

mail box. i opened the door and my roommate was waving the big unopened letter around complaining that i didn't come home sooner so she could open it!

:-)

Mar 16, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, all....

Mar 16, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

No mail again today! Can't I at least get some stupid piece of junk mail and pretend that it's something important? That'd be awesome if I was working as a mailperson right now. I'd totally hang out at the post office all day, searching each new truck for any mail for me.

But I'm so happy for everyone that got good news today!

Mar 16, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

got the 212 call from toshiko at about 8:30 est! (at a bar at the time...!)

still in shock.......

happy weekend!

Mar 16, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
lullaby

congrats all gyus. good job.

neat

I'am nyc and I applied only GSD... that makes me crazy now.
I think they sent some snail mails at 3/9 to international people then sent some mails again at 3/12.
so I am hoping they still have some other batches...even one more.

you are not alone.

good luck to all.

Mar 16, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
ksArcher

Did those accepted so far to the GSD apply for AP? Just curious if there is a separation of the groups. Also, if one did apply for the AP route are you bumped into the non-AP or out-right rejected if you dont make AP? Just curious

Mar 17, 07 1:14 am  · 
 · 
mobarchitecture

to responde to the previous question.....

I am not a native of CO.
I am from the land of Oz and got my BArch at Kansas State University.

I am sad that us lonely MArch II canidates didn't get fancy pants calls like all you MArch I brats.

ah...... the envy.

Mar 17, 07 1:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: