Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Balagan

Gosh this thread is going do fast my questions have been answered before I post them....=)

Mar 14, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

kristin_kai = hilarious

Mar 14, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

uzshef, right on, great news, congrats.

Q: did Columbia or GSD send you an email before you got the packet?

Q2: did you get the packet this morning or yesterday?

Personally, I'd go with GSD of that group.

Mar 14, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

did you get an email first from GSD mob / uzshef?

Mar 14, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
supersupao

finally some closure - called CCA and just asked them.
1 out of 5. Now I can get my eyes off this friggin forum!

Mar 14, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

no email, all three by snail mail throughout the week

Balagan, did you visit Yale? I heard there's a big difference if
you're "connected" to Stern or Sanders than if you're "disconnected",
and I'm definitely the latter

Mar 14, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

supersupao - Does your handle refer to a certain athletic drink commonly seen in Taiwan?

Mar 14, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
supersupao

hahaha...someone figured it out.
arbitrary choice.
is that where you are?

Mar 14, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

oh, did anybody else who got into CCA get any info about merit-based scholarships? I got none, only a note that need-based scholarships and loans would not be awarded until mid-April, but didn't say a word about merit-based scholarships. Did they go out in the acceptance packs and I'm just not one of the lucky ones? Are any of you one of the lucky ones?

Mar 14, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

uzshef - Nope, never even been to New Haven in my life before.

None of my recommenders had anything to do with Yale, either, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Must've been that discreetly bundled stack of $100 dollar bills stuck to the back of my portfolio that got me in. =)

Now I'm really hoping to get into GSD.

Mar 14, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

Balagan, where are you from?

Mar 14, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Supersupao - Yup, but I kinda did a double take before really reading it aloud and making the connection, haha. You from here too?

Mar 14, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

uzshef - I'm from Taiwan, as evident from my discovery of Supersupao's dirty little secret =)

Mar 14, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Woh woh woh, hang on a second here Froccli. Do you mean to tell me that you eat this frozen broccoli snack when it's still frozen? Like a popsicle? Or do you microwave it like 222?

Mar 14, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

oh wow, that would be a hilarious sight! Someone eating frozen broccoli like a popsicle!

Mar 14, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
niket

firstly - congrats to everybody who got accepted...

for those of you still waiting - I hear ya, I feel ya
I've applied to Columbia's 3-yr M.Arch - & havent heard back yet

you can view the portfolio i submitted at http://www.niketshah.com/portfolio/portfolio.pdf
(it might take a few seconds to load)

Realistically, I am not expecting an acceptance but it would be pretty darn sweet to get in...

for now - I wait ...

Mar 14, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

I see, not to be rude Balagan (because I think it helped me as well)
the states AA policy is great for some...especially if you're an Asian-Canadian from Quebec.

Mar 14, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

kalyani, sometimes i do eat it frozen. it's like eating a really healthy icecube. but i like them microwaved too :) yeah, i totally thought i was weird until my friend told me she melts cheddar cheese onto her bananas.

damn, people got their mail already? our androgynous mail "person" doesn't come until 4pm. fack.

Mar 14, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

uzshef -

Yeah, I am aware of that policy, so...However I also hear that they have a fixed quota for the various ethnic regions, unsubstantiated of course. It seems that in the last few years applicants from Korea and Mainland China have been eating up a large majority of the Asian quota.

Regardless, you still have to be pretty kickass to get accepted to GSD, right? =P

For now, I can only hope its just the international priority mail taking its sweet time to show up. =)

Mar 14, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
silken

I was admitted to Columbia's M.Arch I. Does anyone have any comments re: the "spending 119k to learn Maya" or "architecture as special effects" criticism? With so much hype it's hard to tell what's real about the school, which I'm sure is excellent, and what's not...

Mar 14, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

tequila con maria...
maria juana.

Mar 14, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i have already opened a bottle a vino at 2pm in the morning (for me at least).

Mar 14, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

kristin_kai, that is a choice bottle of whiskey. Will you pour me a glass of that, neat (no rocks)?

Mar 14, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

Balagan..true.

Mar 14, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

grey goose shots.. chilled

Mar 14, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

whiskey sour. Usually jack. Can't be 7, cause it's so smooth that I can drink bottles of it. Jack keeps me within a reasonable drinking limit.

Mar 14, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Scotch scotch scotch, I love scotch

Mar 14, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

Bourbon! Van Winkle's Special Reserve or Blanton's.

Mar 14, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
heyday

congrats. to everyone getting accepted.

i read this post for a while when i was working on my portfolio in nov. and dec. but it started stressing me out so i didn't check it again until yesterday.

i got the a.m. stern email yesterday morning about m. arch. II acceptance at yale. i immediately checked this thread to see if anyone else got it to verify it was legit.

i did undergrad. at sci-arc (2002), live in l.a., had a strong gpa (easy to do at sci-arc), decent gre, and good recommendations

i also applied to the columbia real estate development program and the GSD mdes real estate program- haven't heard from either yet.

Mar 14, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

gimme a good ol' rusty nail anyday!

Mar 14, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
designbydesign

I was talking about the email i got from GSD.

Mar 14, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
designbydesign

they are releasing info now. my friend got in.

Mar 14, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

I feel like this may have been discussed before but do we know the size of the different entering classes? If only roughly from historic information....
I'm specifically curious about the M. Arch. I tracts.

Someone mentioned a while back that the GSD was roughly 60 incoming students. Princeton, of course, is well below that. How do the other programs compare?

Mar 14, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

cornell is only 15.

Mar 14, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Syracuse is 20. I'm sure Rice is about the same. UT Austin is about 65.

Mar 14, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

I checked with admissions offices at GSD and Cal.

GSD:
The average GRE scores are: 600 (verbal), 600 (quantitative), and 4.5 (writing). We received approximately 600 applications for the MArch I program this year. About seventy students were admitted.

Cal:
The dept is looking for those who have GRE scores above the 50 percentile in all three areas. That would be about 600 in Math and Verbal and from 4-5 on the essay. The average scores of admitted students are a little bit above this range. This year (2006), there were 300 applicants to the 3 year program and we admitted 49 to get 20. This is pretty much the numbers we usually get.

Hope that helps.

Mar 14, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

BTW, I was emailing them about their 3 year programs.

Mar 14, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Woops! A little late! (MAN you can't turn away for a second or something exciting happens on the board...)

My choice is a Moscow Mule. Mmmmmmm! I heard it was invented in the Hiliton in Boston. It's vodka, lime, and ginger beer. Try one sometime, you'll love it!

Most bars in Boston that I go to know that it's my drink cos it's the only one I ever order.

That, or a glass of merlot.

Mar 14, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

yeah they admit more than they want cause they know some will deny their offer

Mar 14, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Oh, stupid Wikipedia. It was totally not invented in Boston. But that's okay, you know? I will still drink it.

Mar 14, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

GSD already sent out e-mails?

Mar 14, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Yes, what's this about GSD?

Mar 14, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

I don't know if they sent out email acceptances. I had emailed them back in October to get an idea of where I would stand in terms of GRE scores and their acceptance rates. Those were from email responses from those two schools back in October.

Mar 14, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

GSD has notified a few...me being one of them

Kevin W, why did you apply to Yale M2 when its obvious you're interested in real estate/development?

Mar 14, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

I was thinking that Harvard is really confident in it's pull to admit only 70 to yield a class of 60..... but then I realized that the program I'm applying to at UW only admits 6, so they must be uber-confident.

Mar 14, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

uzshef, you are marchII though right? i dont remember hearing of anyone thats gotten anything for marchI yet or am i wrong?

Mar 14, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

either that or ding was pulling our leg a few pages back where he/she said they got in to gsd m.arch 1...

Mar 14, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

You think anybody over at the GSD (I mean, faculty, admissions people-types) troll this thread and get a good hearty dose of Schadenfreude at our expense? Just at the sheer level of instances the letters "G", "S", and "D" happen to follow one another, in that order...

Mar 14, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

ding you no good swindler

· 
ClemsonDnB

broccoli, if you read the other post, it seems as if he was, he says on 03/03 that he wishes he applied to gsd.. and elaborates further in later posts... then on here he says he got in? i dont know, doesnt make sense!

· 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: