Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

hahaaaa! I just saw baboomba's post on thegradcafe. Good one, baboomba.

Mar 13, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

thanks jason, its nice at least know i will be in school next year

still nothing from ucla or berkeley yet....also i went to visit columbia this weekend if anyone wants to hear about it.

Mar 13, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

yeah mctwist...that's my ninja!!! well done and congrats!!

Mar 13, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Hey. Everyone who got acceptances from Yale today, will you tell us at exactly what time the e-mail was sent? Also, please note your time zone and MArch I or II. I'd like to know if they were sent out as a batch. Thanks for making the rest of us feel better.

Mar 13, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

congratulations baboomba! i remember you going crazy waiting for a decision.

wonderk, i could use a scotch as well :( ...make that a double on the rocks.

Mar 13, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i had a missed call today from a random number like 540-08 (that's it). i got all excited until i realized there was no voicemail and no one on archinect was getting any phone calls today. boo.

Mar 13, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

mctwist congrats!!! linton would be proud ;) haha.

Mar 13, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

baboomba - it seems like they were sending the letter out one after the other. The text is all the same, but mine was addressed to my first name. So it couldn't have gone out to a bunch of people at once. Well unless a bunch of my potential classmates all have the same name as me.

Mar 13, 07 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

Boomba - I got my Yale email at 12:25 EST today.

If everyone got it then, though...well, they might be sending it in multiple batches. That must be what GSD is doing, since there's been only oen or two reported acceptances on archinect, whereas there have been at least 5 for Yale.

Mar 13, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

I'll happily oblige baboomba.

Yale M.Arch II, received email 8:32:17 PST this morning

Congrats on your UT Austin acceptance!

Mar 13, 07 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I also got it at 12:25 EST

Mar 13, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Stop. We are noting the exact minute. This is pathological, come onnnnnn.

Mar 13, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

jasoncross, your portfolio is freakin' incredible! I remember going to Taiwan a while ago and seeing the National Palace Museum comp entries, and thinking the Predock entry was hardcore--it's cool to know who helped with that. And your poster art puts delusions about doing graphic design to rest! :o

baboomba, congrats on UT! my Sternigram has "Mar 14, 2007 12:25 AM" on it, though that doesn't sound right at all; probably the recipient date.

Mar 13, 07 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

isn't it possible that they use a mailing list program which allow them to send multiple emails and using unique salutations?
i've sent out email campaigns before so I know how it works and it is very easy... it'll definitely save a lot of time on their part instead of sending out individual emails if their acceptance number is large.

Mar 13, 07 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Pathological maybe, but somewhat conclusive. Sounds like it was at least a partial batch mailing. Namby, they can do a batch e-mail and have it show only your name on the distribution.

I'm not giving up, but I will expect a denial from Yale. If I get an acceptance tomorrow or a waitlist (do they waitlist?), it will be a pleasant surprise.

Thanks everyone for the info on their decisions.

Mar 13, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

baboomba, I'm a believer in the multiple-wave theory of M.Arch applications: I can really imagine them sorting into "okay sure," "mm may be," and "coasters for the break room" piles, and giving the middle a few more rounds.

Mar 13, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

O.k. I can't refresh any longer today. I'm taking my MAYBE ass out to celebrate the UT acceptance. Congrats again to the "okay sure" group. Very exciting and well deserved. Tomorrow will hopefully bring good news to others.

Mar 13, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
101W101

Accepted at Columbia (3yr M.Arch)! I am on cloud 9 right now!

Mar 13, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Start pouring, WonderK....

Mar 13, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
ddyy

wow congrats 101w101!
how did they notice you???
I am dying to get a responce from them.............

Mar 13, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

baboomba- yale does wait lists, i dont know how big it is, but i was on it last year. turns out they didnt touch the list at all.

Mar 13, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
101W101

Small envelope with 3 pieces of paper (acceptance letter, open house info, and enrollment form).

Mar 13, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
101W101

BTW, it was postmarked March 12th.

Mar 13, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
fivepass

101w101 -- where are you located?

Mar 13, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
ddyy

oops i meant notify-

Mar 13, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
101W101

NYC

Mar 13, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

Geez, wish I was on the right side of the planet about now. 6-10 days by air...

Mar 13, 07 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
theTracer

Okay, here the link to my portfolio, since everbody is posting them now.

http://www.studiojarch.com/jamez-portfolio.pdf

only applied to one school, hopefully my strategy works!

Mar 13, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
101W101

A friend of mine got into Yale, UCLA, and Princeton. Talk about badass...

Mar 13, 07 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
ddyy

holy....
just tell me that that is all the schools your friend applied.....

Mar 13, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

congratulations baboomba! and anyone else that got in to programs today.

Mar 13, 07 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
c

- columbia .
got in the mailbx this PM. - have been so superstitious haven't been able to post anythign on this thread till now.
the little god of architecture must've heard me....

Mar 14, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats Baboomba!

Post #3000!

Mar 14, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ack! Somebody beat me to it.

Okay, Page 31!

Mar 14, 07 12:16 am  · 
 · 
w3

so is anyone considering having a blog on this site when they actually get to school - wherever that may be next fall?

Mar 14, 07 12:23 am  · 
 · 

I don't know, do you think archinect would let me do a blog of "what happens after architecture"?

Mar 14, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

If I get into one of my top picks, I'd be happy to do a blog.

Whether the school wants me to air their dirty laundry in the form of a blog is another matter...

Mar 14, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
sfibs

got into CCA today (non arch background)- though I don't see any one else waiting on it. I live very close to the campus so it probably came quick.

..what a relief.... still waiting on SCI-arc which is my top choice.

My friend tried to preform an archinect intervention today. I'm only allowed to check this thread two times in a day. yeah right.

Mar 14, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 

Sarah, I'm actually suprised it took so long to get to you. I got mine yesterday, and I'm down in LA. So no, nobody else is waiting, but only because your post is slow!

Mar 14, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
sfibs

All of the post people in the bay are lazy hippies-

or maybe schools often send out the Masters for non arch backgrounds later. (I hope!)

I used to work at a bookstore near the east bay campus of CCA. The undergraduate students often came into the store to buy their books. Trying to show overgrown children in too small clothing how to navigate the alphabet gave me an very negative impression of the institution.

The graduate program seems more serious- in a good way. My negative impressions are washed away.

Rationalist- are you going to attend the open studios?

Mar 14, 07 1:14 am  · 
 · 

I don't know. Honestly, probably not. I visited in the fall for their grad day, so I don't need to go to see the campus or anything like that, and I'm already taking long weekends the next two weekends. I don't know if it would fly for a third week in a row... plus I might have collapsed from exhaustion by then!

Mar 14, 07 1:34 am  · 
 · 
taboho

i'm not even applying to schools (already in grad school) and i'm hooked on this post. archinect is bad, bad, bad.

Mar 14, 07 3:34 am  · 
 · 
EdgewoodAnimal

For those who have heard back from UT Austin. Are any of you applying for the post-professional degree?

Since we are listing backgrounds: I’m 34. American living in Europe. Barch and Bachelor of Civil Engineering. Passed the E.I.T. Exam. Attended Rural Studio. Worked for less than one year as an Environmental Engineer, and have seven years experience in architecture firms.

Mar 14, 07 4:49 am  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

It was nice checking this forum today and seeing all of the acceptances. Congratulations to everyone who's heard, and fingers crossed for everyone who is still waiting!!

Time to weigh in myself---

Accepted yesterday to Yale (M.Arch. i) and GSAPP (M.Arch.).

Yale was via the Robert Stern email--- no financial aid info yet.
Columbia was by post--- no financial aid, period.

Since we're keeping stats:
27, in New York, no prior background in architecture.
BMus, MSEE

I hope to meet some of you at the open houses.

Mar 14, 07 7:52 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

congrats to everyone!! I have to say i'm a little jealous. haven't heard anything yet...

although i'm a little behind - here's my info. 25 - bs pre-prof arch degree. spent my 4th yr over in paris (if any of you go to gatech - take advantage! i'm pretty sure the grad program has the option of going over there now). three different jobs in arch firms and i'm almost done with idp!

i've gotten pretty lucky and have worked on a multitude of different projects. i also have gotten the opportunity to learn digital project - the 3d software that gehry's offices use - so you can imagine that it can deal with some pretty crazy stuff.

my portfolio was mostly undergrad stuff, a little bit of sketching and work stuff.

i think that's all...

Mar 14, 07 8:22 am  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

Got my UCLA acceptance in the mailbox last night, but just as with UIC, it was from the urban planning school and not the architecture school. Somebody trying to tell me something?

Mar 14, 07 8:29 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i just spent the last 30 minutes going through what has been posted since i left the office yesterday at 5. i must say that i am impressed! 2 pages!

so, here's my info:

24 (will be 25 on march 30), BS pre-prof arch degree from ga tech (with laurilan who i miss!!! and who got my addicted to this site!)

i've been at the same firm since i graduated, 30 person with arch, civil and structural, so i have a lot of responsibility and get to see a lot of the other aspects that go into building, other than just design. i mostly run small interior projects, but sometimes get larger projects.

my portfolio consisted of 4 undergrad projects, sketches, paintings, photography and 3 pages of professional stuff, including some liquor displays i was given to design that are now being put to use in a lovely bar down the street from the office!

my gpa kinda blows, but is really good for my last 2 years (even managed to pull out a 4.0 for my last semester)
waiting to hear from upenn, gatech, iit and arizona
already rejected from uic and ncstate

now if that's not too much info....

Mar 14, 07 8:46 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Right now I'm going to take a shower. I fully expect there to be mail in my mailbox when I get out. I've been awake for 3 minutes and already checked twice already.

Mail here usually doesn't get delivered until anywhere from 10 to 12 noon. And I have to leave at 10:30.... blah.

Mar 14, 07 9:43 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Well, I was half-right. There was indeed mail in the mailbox, but nothing for me other than a credit card bill.

And the wait continues. Check in this time tomorrow.......

Mar 14, 07 9:58 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

23... BA in Architecture... I got a job with a small firm (the partners are professors at clemson) after i was their research assistant for about a year.

my portfolio

3.7 gpa, applied to only columbia and harvard (which i now regret!)

congrats to everyone so far!

Mar 14, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: