Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

flyoverstate

What's strange is that they're not sending the acceptance and rejection emails all at once... they're reviewing every category of apps together, right?

Mar 13, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
scspisak

ding and design... for RISD, was that M. Arch I or II?

Mar 13, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
supersupao

For all the people here still waiting for notification - anyone just try calling the school and asking them flat out if you've made it or not?
any responses?

Mar 13, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

if you read the thread you will find that many have...and from what I have read no one got information about their status by calling the school...as of yet, anyway.

Mar 13, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Folks,

I just got my first letter....Stern, kind soul that he is, does not want me "to wait one moment longer than necessary" to let me know I'm accepted into Yale's M.Arch II !!!

Mar 13, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

Just got a letter from Columbia GSAPP... and I'm accepted to the 3Yr MArch! Yay!!

Mar 13, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

congrats ya'll!!!

Mar 13, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
designbydesign

3 + program....

Which one is better?

Wash U in St. Louis or UIUC?

Thanks.

· 
scspisak

I'm going crazy here not hearing...

· 
ClemsonDnB

congrats geimanj!!

· 
ClemsonDnB

me too scspisak... havent heard anything yet... and now hearing people find out from the same schools i applied to makes me nervous!!

Mar 13, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

designbydesign:

i had a same question before: 3 + program.... Which one is better? Wash U in St. Louis or UIUC? coz i got in both too. I'm still curious.

Mar 13, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
theTracer

Why the hell didn't I go home for lunch today! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Mar 13, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

just fyi, I'm in the NYC area and the GSAPP letter was postmarked 3/12, so it may take longer for others to receive.

Mar 13, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
scspisak

i feel like i'm in that phone commercial wher the dorky guy gave his phone number to three women the night before and hadn't received any calls yet, so he asks the phone company what the chances were that they all called at once and tied up the lines... Clemson, maybe that's what's happening to us...maybe all of our schools emailed us at once and blocked up our email lines!!!

Mar 13, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, all...

FYI, there are countless other threads on this board comparing the various schools. There's a search button at the bottom of the main forum index page.

Mar 13, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Big day for everyone! Too many to name, but congrats to all.

rationalist, I haven't gotten the letter yet. Until then, I am still panicking.

Actually, not to be gross, but is anyone else experiencing digestive problems?

Mar 13, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

i got in yale m.arch I this morning, through email.
still waiting for columbia, ucla, and penn.

here's my portfolio:

link

Mar 13, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

WonderK: I haven't felt this way since that Skyline/Greater's night out in Cincy over the holidays.

Mar 13, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

WonderK - yes :(

Mar 13, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

hahaha i hope so scspisak !

Mar 13, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

WonderK- yes. Did you not see my worries that I was getting an ulcer about 8-10 pages ago?

In light of our recent experiences, I propose that we revive this classic thread.

Mar 13, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

vapor - if that's like most march I apps, i'm in trouble.

Mar 13, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
scspisak

oh my god, vapor...PLEASE tell me that you're not applying for an M. Arch I! Your portfolio kicks serious a$$ and if mine was put up against yours...well, no wonder I haven't been getting any emails!

Mar 13, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

nice portfolio vapor! i love the renderings, reminds me of some of MVRDV's work and LOT/EK

Mar 13, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
scspisak

I agree COMPLETELY nicey!

Mar 13, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
scspisak

What's your background, vapor? How'd you do all that stuff?

Mar 13, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

<sound of Gin's head exploding, upon looking at vapor's kick-ass portfolio>

Mar 13, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
supersupao

vapor - awesome portfolio
it brings to mind this boggling quesiton: how is it that you applied for an march1 when it seems that you have a substantial background in the field?
When I visited pratt, I took a look at a buncha portfolios that they kept of people who were admitted and they all seemed like layman type work which I took to be the norm considering march1 is essetially for the layman. seems like I am wrong or perhaps the standouts on this site are the exceptions?

Mar 13, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

i guess that's what i get for majoring in spanish...

Mar 13, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

Got to have a super profile for Yale. How come you didn't apply GSD? Just curious. Coz i didn't apply Yale.

Mar 13, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

By the way, I'm a M.Arch 3+ applicant.

Mar 13, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

i have a BA in arch from berkeley, since it is not an accredited degree, i have to apply for m.arch 1. this is actually my 2nd time applying. last year, i got rejected by everyone i applied to besides berkeley...

Mar 13, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

ding- i was told that my 3.0 gpa was too low for gsd. i tried last year, no luck.

Mar 13, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Interesting... I'd be curious to see the portfolio you submitted last year, compared to this year's version.

Looks like I may be doing a major re-vamp of my own portfolio over the next few months.

Mar 13, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

I called UPenn. They are sending out the letters on March 22nd.

Mar 13, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
sparch

UC Berkley isn't accredited?
that's surprising

Mar 13, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

my overall GPA is 3.33
major GPA 3.5 (upper division undergrad)

Mar 13, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
scspisak

i think i'm getting a case of the vapors...

Mar 13, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

No BA in Arch. Studies (or variant thereof) is addredited. The only accredited degrees are the B.Arch. and the professional M.Arch.

Mar 13, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
flyoverstate

vapor: nice! I like your "Prototype Utopia" diagrams and the buildings you worked on (Blue Plate & G-Pad). You obviously have a lot of experience, esp. for an M.Arch I'er. (By the way, c/o 2006—go bears!)

sparch: the undergrad degree at Berkeley is a regular BA, not a B.Arch; the M.Arch is Berkeley's professional degree.

· 
Chairman-Mao

I like furniture design. I found this, check it out. Pretty sick stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbEEXMIhZR0

· 
Chairman-Mao

if you can't watch it at work. save the link.

Mar 13, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

thanks guys. my portfolio is 70% the same as what i submitted last year.
same projects. just added more diagrams.
one of my recommender told me my grades are the problem, plus spending 2 hours on my personal statement apparently didnt help.

Mar 13, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

The personal statemtent's big, I think. For instance, when I had my portfolio reviewed by SCAD in December, they were concerned about the preponderance of architecture and random packaging work included. When I explained why it was I was going to grad school for graphic design and how I wanted to be in an interdisciplinary environment, they went "ohhhh, I see. ok, leave it in then." So without my personal statement, you don't view my portfolio from the proper context, and consequently may not understand. But with a good personal statement, it all makes sense. I sent in basically the same portfolio (plus two new pieces and lots of kerning) a month later, and they gave me a scholarship for it. The personal statement makes all the difference...

Mar 13, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

Yeah. You got to tell the graduate committees how bad you want them. How much you love them and want to take one of them home for the weekend. Show your love and use your tear to seal the envelope.

Mar 13, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I fear my grades are my weak point as well... I'm making straight A's in my current program at DePaul, but my grades at UIC were abysmal. I made a point to mention in my statement that I was going through medical and financial issues at the time, and that those grades aren't indicative of my overall academic potential, but oh well. If they're going to overlook the progress I've made since leaving UIC and penalize me for stuff that I went through a decade ago, fuck 'em. My money would be better spent elsewhere.

Mar 13, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

I called sciarc, they told me that they should be sending out results for M.arch I in a week or two, all the M.arch IIs were notified yesterday...so fret not M.arch Iers...the verdict is still out...

Mar 13, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

i met with a columbia faculty in december, he told me my portfolio is not strong enough and can easily end in the reject pile... that got me very nervous for months. now i am very interested in seeing how portfolios that get in columbia look like.

Mar 13, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

wow vapor, i can't believe columbia told you that. i mean if they thought YOUR porfolio didn't measure up, i wonder how other m.arch 1's, especially those with virtually no arch experience and a few paltry drawings/photos, could even be considered?

Mar 13, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: