Archinect
anchor

Jobsite Pic of The Day

with the blocking all lazy in the stud bays

: poetry, or at least an album title.

Nov 2, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

spied this hot detail while driving back from a jobsite meeting this morning. truly radical, hmmm?

Nov 8, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

haha... those shutters are going to do a lot to protect the brick next to the window... nice....

Nov 8, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh my god......

I actually, truly feel sorry for this house. The poor thing is so ugly, so much is wrong with it, I think it's beyond repair.

That house shaped like a giant toilet was acres better. Sigh.

Nov 8, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

some family loves it, considers it their dream house, and will brag about it as their friends and loved ones gaze adoringly

Nov 8, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

my favorite part about it though, is that it looks like a hunch back!

see the two brick sections on either end are like shoulders

the weird windows above the front door are the head

and the flat top roof at back are its shoulders!!!

Nov 8, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

i think that the arched window above the front door is a black hole which will suck everything that is good in architecture into the abyss...

Nov 8, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

i've been watching this house get buit over the past several months. they moved in a month or so ago, sans shutters. i just today noticed that they had been added. i guess the owners thought it looked a little bare and needed some more 'architectural interest'.

Nov 8, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

note that this is not a suburban house. it's in a rural area sitting back on a gravel drive all by itself in the flood plane, about 100' from a major (55-60mph) thoroughfare.

Nov 8, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
postal

that pic belongs in an email... it'll circle the globe in less than 5 min.

hilarious!

Nov 8, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I'm going to submitt my next set of drawings to a historical commission using that historically correct shutter detail....just
to see if anyone catches it...if they do I will have a back up drawing
showing the real mcoy!

Nov 8, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

We're doing a half-court gymnasium addition to a big house. It has one large blank brick wall - should I just glue some shutters randomly across it? I think so. I'll post it when I'm done.

Nov 8, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

..you guys just don't know an iconoclast when you see one.
Them shutters were spaced intentionally to reflect the builder's departure from convention - it's totally dynamic expression.

Nov 8, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

i like how the sidewalk leads to the front door - i am guessing that this is the front of the house? did they forget to order fake grilles on the arched window above the door? maybe they got it in the scratch & dent section at home depot - right next to that fugly door. for all of you trying to convince your friends, family, etc. not to buy plans online show them this piece of shit. if it doesn't jar their brains they deserve to live in a soulless building like this.

Nov 8, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Is that 3dh?

Nov 8, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Took a tour of HKS, Dallas today. Then they gave us a walk through of Cowboy Stadium. the big freakin' arch is the largest free spanning box truss in the world. It's 1/4 mile long, and 18'x35' box. Here are a few quick pics.

The first two panos are quick, bad photostitch jobs.

For a better view of these visit my flickr site
I'm too cheap to buy an account, so the resolution is pretty small on my account, too. sorry. Anyway, try to enjoy:

Nov 10, 07 1:30 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

How 'bout my Cowboys?!?!?! That box truss is sexy.

Nov 10, 07 2:01 am  · 
 · 

if I ever have a rock group, i think I'll name it box truss

Nov 11, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
e

the very slow progress of my office. most of the steel panels have been hung with the exception of above the slot in the wall. the bamboo ply shelf for the lop wall still needs to be built. desk are almost done. who know when the lights are coming. signage went up today too.

Nov 15, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So freakin' cool, e!!!!!! Can I share your workspace? I'll move to Seattle...

Seriously, it looks amazing. I love how boxy it is, and how the painted stripe emphasizes that it's a box within a box. Beautiful.

Nov 15, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
pluk

Nice! Love your steel panel detail.

Nov 15, 07 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
e

Thanks lb. You CAN rent a desk. We have room for four desks. We are considering renting out one or two of them at first. We aren't quite sure yet. We plan on moving all of the furniture that we've been buying over the last couple of months in on Satuday. The final move will happen in a week or two. Turkeyday is screwing things up right now. And don't worry that baseboard on the gray wall will be painted.

Nov 15, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

here are some pics of the project I posted earlier. These are back in October right after the lifting, amazing to see live. One small piece was to far gone to lift, so it was demolished (after some political hoop jumping) and the structure was lifted in 2 pieces. She's back on the ground now- plumb, square, level and with a foundation for the first time ever!

Dec 4, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

FRO, do you have any current pictures?

Dec 5, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
FRO

no but I need to go by there today (see the STC of a log wall thread) so I'll take a camera.

Dec 5, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
FRO

OK, back on the ground, renovation beginning......

See the upsloping bottom of the board & batten? That's how out of level the ridge on this section used to be. You can also see the section of exposed lap siding that convinced the Architectural Review Board we could salvage the siding, and thus would not be allowed to remove and replace it, but we will be stripping the whole front half to expose all of it.

Here is a side view of the cavity we will be filling with spray-in polyiso insulation.

log - cavity - lap siding - (fake brick asphalt sheet - board & batten)

Porch re-framing with gratuitous shot of my townie bike.

And an overview from the back, which has been reframed and will have historic siding reinstalled. Stellar working conditions today.....

It's hard to imagine now, but this will eventually be a higher end cocktail & tapas bar, custom vodka infusions and all that.

Dec 5, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

that first picture was supposed to be:

Dec 5, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
AP

not too hard to imagine, really...the forms immed. made me think of hugh newell jacobsen...

looks like a great project.

Dec 5, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

it was a long time ago i mentioned a private job that my GF and i won via a small competition. well after many delays the project is finally on site.
as a reminder is a render of the design, a house on a new island near amsterdam, and where we are at now - a basement!!

it feels good to finally see it underway
more fotos on my flickr acct

Dec 6, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
AP

wow p2an. huge congrats. that has to be a great feeling.
your work, being executed. i look forward to seeing this progress.

Dec 6, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Install costs

$ 335 labor
$ 2.50 for materials
$ 250 1 hour of Union electrician + security guard
$ 89 15% Over head and profit

Installation $ 676.50

Restoration
$ 1,130 + 5 Bricks per bold remediation given the edges chip once a brick is
removed.
$ 1,000 to install new bricks 3 hour of Union mason + security guard
$ 315 15% Over head and profit

Restoration costs $2,480

Total Coat Rack Cost: $3,156.50

Expression on the contractor's face when he gets the bill: Priceless

Dec 7, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

oh geez. ouch.

Dec 7, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

recent pics from the house I'm workin' on in Beverly Hills

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2106/2110607557_09e1646688.jpg?v=0[img]

Dec 14, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Dec 14, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Here are some curtainwall details I photographed today. Note: there are two separate areas (mirror/flipped) where these details occur. I'm posting this as an educational tool for anyone working/aspiring to work with curtainwall. Note 2: the design called for a storefront system to span from slab to slab; the sub-contractor elected to use curtainwall instead. No complaints from the designers.

Outside Corner

Outside Corner (from interior)

Exterior Detail Prior to Mullion Cap Installation

Bottom Detail

Top Detail

Mullion Section

Exterior Detail - With Icicles

Interior Perspective

Flickr Set

Feb 13, 08 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

January 24 was the official opening of the building I've been posting in this thread.

communal space - exterior

communal space - interior

flickr set

Feb 14, 08 7:14 am  · 
 · 

On the 31st January, I closed sale on this 2 bedroom + 1 bathroom cottage with a fucking amazing view - these are the recently completed demos; and I haven't secured my ideas what to do with the place yet. Share your ideas

Feb 14, 08 9:47 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Keep the swan!

Feb 14, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Buy a weedwacker.

Feb 14, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

You might want to consider a "Brush Hog" instood of a weedwacker.

Feb 14, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

looks like its good to go as a crack house...

Feb 14, 08 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

selling crack would pay for a very nice remodel.

that is one hellacious view to wake up to every day.

Feb 15, 08 1:08 am  · 
 · 
chinoXL63

These are construction photos of a temporary pavilion commissioned for the 10 year anniversary of the Design Research Laboratory of the Architectural Association in London.

It is currently being erected in Bedford Square and is set to open on 13 March 2008.

For more info check out the project blog for constant updates - http://cspacepavilion.blogspot.com

For more info on the DRL10 exhibition, symposium, and book.

Feb 15, 08 3:50 am  · 
 · 
chinoXL63
Feb 15, 08 3:51 am  · 
 · 

looks brilliant chinoxl63. been following the blog and love how it has progressed from concept to reality. star visit was also uber kool. look forward to seeing it completely assembled!

Feb 15, 08 5:29 am  · 
 · 
chinoXL63

thanks jump....me too...(looking forward to completion)!!

Feb 15, 08 8:30 am  · 
 · 
chinoXL63
http://cspacepavilion.blogspot.com/

Mar 5, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Hoping this link works: http://www.wallpaper.com/newgallery/17050085/loop/3

Mar 5, 08 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

Mar 5, 08 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
n_

This is a freelance project that my 9-5 boss are working on together. The owner asked that we keep the monolithic, box-like exterior appearance of the original house. We also designed a 3,000 square foot addition on the back.

Original House.

Approach view from driveway.

Roof pitch.

Redwood and stucco. Stone hasn't been installed yet.

The building jog delineates the new addition space.

Arriscraft stone will skin the first floor.

Redwood will wrap both the floor and ceiling for all exterior spaces.

View from living room.

Exterior fireplace framing.

Mar 12, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: