Archinect
anchor

Jobsite Pic of The Day

mdler

Placing the steel stringer in the concrete wall for a cantilievered steel stair...there will be a planter below the stair, adjacent to the spa.

I wish that the joints of the boards would have been aligned with the adjacent wall (it was shown on the drawings). We will tell concrete guy to line up boards on the front of the wall...either way, we are planning to sandblast the wall to expose a certain amount of the aggregate

Mar 15, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven, your pics made me miss working on "real" projects. Residential is fun and all, but sometimes I long for more intense coordination.

mdler yours is looking cool - keep posting, please!

Mar 15, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

nice pics all

great looking at them and making me hungry to return to work. Most of my other projects are about 10 months from reaching the building site.

Mar 15, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
AP

almost done!

flickr set from october 06 through today.

Apr 4, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

AP I love the finished product, it really turned out well

Apr 4, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks techno. there are plenty of things that didn't turn out as well as they should have, but overall it was successful. i'm definitely happy to see it [almost] complete before i move away in a few weeks. you never forget your first time.

Apr 4, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

more pics of my Beverly Hills house

http://www.flickr.com/gp/7444093@N05/F8c0t7

Apr 12, 07 3:05 am  · 
 · 
some person

...YES

In commeration of vado's original thread post ("HOLE"), I captured this image at the site last week.

Recent "sleuth" threads have proven to be fun... anyone care to venture a guess as to what this picture is and where the site may be located? (Hint: consider lateral forces...)

Apr 14, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 

thats's your first...well then an even high commendation AP

Apr 14, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

DCA looks like a hole to me! No really I'm guessing its for a foundation for a column - a mighty shallow one albeit

Apr 14, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

AP, I hope it all got done before you left? Looks excellent. Quite a good project to have under your (always cool) belt(s).

DCA, I'm stumped. Does the "no" mean not to pour concrete in this one? perhaps it's being filled with Jello?

Apr 14, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
some person

hrmm... That's a really good thought, liberty bell. I initially thought that the "no" meant "don't walk here," but your theory totally makes sense. Well, not the Jello part, but that would be funny.

I'll give away the answer to my question... Yes, techno, this is a pile cap under a column. I don't know how large your column foundations typically are, but this is actually a pretty big one - the gray trash can is only a few feet away, yet the size of the pile cap makes it look tiny.

lb's theory about no concrete totally makes sense; one of the piles under the pile cap was driven out-of-tolerance (in the wrong place), and we were waiting for our structural engineer to either give the "ok" or issue a fix for the problem. The actual fix involved making the pile cap larger at the problem pile.

Apr 15, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 

DCA I don't why i expected such a large footing to be deeper....i guess because i couldn't find anything in the picture to scale it with.

On another note...I didn't even see the "no" sign...

Apr 15, 07 1:40 am  · 
 · 

update from the construction of an alternative school and school board central office on which i've been working.

the central office building so far:

the alternative school:

central space

typical classroom

Apr 24, 07 7:18 am  · 
 · 

juan cut his finger a little today..

Apr 25, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

had we had a CM on the jobsite, those board-form lines would have lined up...

Apr 25, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

mdler....is that on Abbot Kinney?

Apr 25, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

guess not...the proportions are different...

Apr 25, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

sorry for not resizing...

Apr 25, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

In Beverly Hills

We are gonna sandblast the hell out of the concrete, so you wont really see the mistakes...

Apr 25, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I love when you look at the photos you just took at a job site and you find something beautiful. It didn't look like this in person, but the light is captivating in the image...

I love fireproofing...

May 8, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i am so jealous of all of you... =\

liberty bell, awesome! great job on that remodel!

mdler, very nice. love the stair detail and the board formed concrete.

ap, nice!

whattodo, yeah, those images are great.

good stuff all around!

May 8, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

i look forward to be able to add new pics to this thread. I feel so happy to be returning to work after so long

May 8, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

two updates for my recreation center...

from 5/01/07:

craning the steel trusses into place over the gymnasium

setting the trusses

a steel beam waiting for its column and embed

and from about an hour ago 5/10/07:

steel columns at the entry have finally been erected

metal deck going in over the gym

more steel on the second floor

May 10, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

hmm... not sure why the metal deck pic didn't work...

here it is...

May 10, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

STOP!!!!

architphil, the project as shown in that last image is perfect. Beautiful. The concrete is concrete, the steel is steel, the wood is wood, the light is light.....just stop construction and call it done.

Construction is always more beautiful than finished buildings. With very rare exceptions.

May 10, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

WOW. STUNNING.

May 10, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

i love that last image phil...reminds me of those b&w slides of gothic cathedrals with their celestial lighting

May 11, 07 1:32 am  · 
 · 
mdler

while I was back at the office, my partner was convincing one of our clients to buy one of these...which he did

May 11, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

are you sleeping with that client mdler? And if not you should really think hard about that!! DB9... there isn't much better than that well perhaps a db4

May 12, 07 3:03 am  · 
 · 
rutger

flickr set
May 12, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 

Rutger I have to admit that i am a fan of your work. It is brilliantly sedated. Looking forward to seeing what else you pull from your sleeve

May 12, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'll keep this project brief short and simple.

Type: Adaptive Reuse (original construction date was 1942)
Location: Nashville, TN in an 'up-and-coming' (read: gentrified) area
Function: Furniture showroom
Size: Approximately 9.600 square feet

The space served as an abadoned offices on the upper level and a junkyard on the lower level. Here are two obligatory before images of the upper and lower levels, respectively:

We couldn't measure the lower level space because it was packed with junk. Literally, packed. We took some overall dimensions and peaced out. At that point, we knew we were removing it all.

Fast forward four months. We essentially demolished the interior of the structure retaining only the exterior shell. A huge, unexpected chunk of the budget went to restructuring the entire space. There were half-rotted 2x4's holding up the roof in some areas. The new space is divided into three main spaces: office area, showroom space, and material library. Please enjoy this little stroll with me.

First, you walk in through the main entrance and will be surrounded by the Eames furniture collection. You then walk through this catwalk to get to the mezzanine. The space below will be team spaces for the designers to collaborate with their client. We will have an Eames chair suspended from the ceiling in between these two boarded windows.

This picture is taken while standing on the mezzanine. We removed some drywall and discovered a random, floating door (please note the green door on the left hand side). On the far right, you can see a 6" metal stud wall. OSB will cover the interior and exterior face of those studs with a long, narrow punched opening on the left hand side. The other side of that feature wall are the stairs down to the showroom space. The back opening is rad. It's the complete skyline of Nashville.

Now you walk down those stairs and enter the main showroom space. This is taken while looking back at the mezzanine.

This is the original firedoor to the right of the showroom space that will remain.

Once you go through the firedoor, the material library will be on your left. This is a two story volume, although we have opted to keep the former floor beams in place because it adds so much more rawness. The back window in the space is boarded up but you will be getting plenty of natural light once the glass is placed.

We have some fun ideas for the interior. We have a suspended cable system that will hold 3 form panels to create movable walls for certain spaces. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the client doesn't VE those items out at the last minute.

Amen.

May 16, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

Recent developments since I've been away. This is the hospital therapy unit that i did the sketch designs for (it has been horribly taken over by consultants that i can refer to only as hacks)

it's about time

May 17, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

starting to look like a building!

May 18, 07 7:53 am  · 
 · 

good, quiet (as in, not too visually noisy) work:

rafael moneo
rcr aranda pigem vilalta arquitectes
caruso st john

visually noisy but fun work:

mecanoo

May 18, 07 8:02 am  · 
 · 

sorry, that was supposed to be on the architect crush thread. [delete!]

May 18, 07 8:03 am  · 
 · 
+i

haha--- i was coming to check and see if Mr. Ward had posted some cool jobsite pics :) damn.

May 18, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 

i did! i did! look above.

May 18, 07 9:00 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Ancient Rome? Ancient Athens? Michigan Avenue? YES
Coring Debris...this reminds me of another thread...

May 31, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nice post, Poczatek.

n_ I've been out of town so I missed your project - nice! Hope to see more of it soon! Love the floating green door.

techno, good luck un-hack'ing your design. Perhaps by "hacking" it yourself you can dilute the changes made by the "hacks"?

Steve, please tell me the entire school building will remain black....

More on my townhouse (vado and I debated yesterday whether I can call it that) soon, site meeting Monday morning.

May 31, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

reminds me off $800 drill coring bits good for 6 or so cores

May 31, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 

while i'd like to say that it's a 'stealth' project, the black is just the dampproofing applied to the block. it will be covered with brick and look much more....pedestrian?

besides, lb, black isn't reflective and would increase the heat gain!

new pix soon > brick's already well underway.

May 31, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
rutger

original on flickr

Finally stitched the panorama from pictures made last month.

Architechnophilia, thanks for your compliment, much appreciated.
Too bad your design got hacked, are you gonna pull a Howard Roark?
;-)

May 31, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

rutger I also agree with architechno - I love how simple and clean your work is.

May 31, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
n_

They painted the green door! They painted the green door!

I was so upset when I saw that the painters had painted over the entire door and exposed brick around it. We had noted on all of our drawings to leave as is but they 'must have looked over it' according to the contractor.

Sad face.

May 31, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

update:

alt sch beyond board building, view from southeast/entry drive

alt school from southwest corner

alt school from northeast, beginning the brick (sorry, lb.)

alt school entry

southeast corner

southeasat corner

brick install at wdw: we had a discussion about this in the office. the window sitting out from the wall before the brick install looked pretty great, w/much more impact than after the brick is installed and flattens everything out. we're going to work on a detail for future jobs that makes use of this observation.

courtyard/'outdoor classroom' between bldgs

alt school roof

board building from courtyard side (north), first level only built so far

board building from roof of alt sch, looking to southeast

May 31, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well hell. n_, that's terrible news.

You can't even have them remove the paint because that wouldn't get back the patina of age on the existing paint.

<angry generalization> Why are contractors so ignorant and flippant about the information we SPECIFICALLY put on our drawings?!? <end angry generalization>

Crap. They owe you a HUGE favor on another portion of the project now.

May 31, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Leave the brick off - I'm loving that black blocks...very sexy. What is it? Why do i feel so clueless

May 31, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 

well we all know that buildings look better under construction...

the black stuff is a skin of damp-proofing that's slathered on the block before the installation of the rigid insulation and the brick.

you can also see the brick ties sticking out like little feelers - and they also look cool.

Jun 1, 07 8:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: