Archinect
anchor

Jobsite Pic of The Day

zahoffman

Since it has been brought up (and not by me) I love Vegas and I can't wait to go back!

Jan 23, 09 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

It kind of has the John Hancock Building look in the post window blow out stage with plywood panel infill.

Jan 23, 09 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yes aqua its part of the city center... liebeskinds mall thingy is at the base of those towers...

lb, we are doing some interiors, but only the public spaces and amenities... none of the serviced apts or condo interiors... unfortunately i did very little work on this project very early on, so i wont be making any visits... but i personally really like the project so i thought id share.

Jan 23, 09 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

*bump

during a telephone with a certain fem necteur we felt it's important that this thread be updated to show that as architects we are still alive and working, even if the projects have diminished or changed in typology

so thought I'd share a recent project. It's nothing architectural just a DIY blacksplash for my sister's new house. It's meant to perk up an otherwise drab kitchen, and serve as the 1st of a couple phases (later to include new counter and cabinets)

Aug 11, 09 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I heart this thread.

Aug 11, 09 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

Earlier in the summer work started on site for a project designed for a young couple. The proposal was characterised by clean lines meant to serve as a backdrop for the subsequent phase (the addition of an upper floor after the purchase of the adjoining lot)
this was the agree design after design development

and the view that almost made me cry. The contractor/father has made a few on-site changes. The include the faux doric columns to the entry and flattening the interior (raising the floor with as much as 2 ft of fill - I wonder how they are going to get those "nice big celing spaces" they wanted)

[/img]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5719/p1020728y.jpg width=415[/img]

Sep 23, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sep 23, 09 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sep 23, 09 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

right click and hit view image to open the image full size.

anyway I'm hitting that bottle hard - time for a nap

Sep 23, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

sucks man

Sep 23, 09 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

the columns are a nice touch.

Sep 25, 09 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

and they look ionic if I'm not mistaken...

Sep 25, 09 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

Project:
custom residential home for an art lover. house is organized around a central spine that serves as an art gallery...

Problem:
Project was more house than the clients could afford. I give them credit for pushing forward and turning lemons into lemonade.... But they've taken the Architect (me) out of the project and chose to do CA themselves to save money... contractor has offered terrible design changes to cut costs (see lighting below) and ignored the drawings. Or to his defense has made changes in the field per the client's direction.

So at the end of the primary corridor (cuts across house and connects all rooms), the MONEY WALL that is supposed to house one of the clients two favorite paintings, contractor puts the thermostat right where the painting is supposed to go and arbitrarily adds another switch (on right) that does the exact same thing the switch on the left does.

Oh yeah, and the client decided to paint the wall Cherry Red...

and now they want to know what I think...

Aug 23, 10 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

sorry...

Aug 23, 10 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Wait, curt, we've talked about this already, right? Isn't this an old problem? What did you tell the clients?

For fun, here's one of my latest: can you guess which column mockup was done by the contractor and which was put together by the architect in two hours from materials around the garage? And which was more effective for the client to see?

Aug 23, 10 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

donna, you show-off.

Aug 23, 10 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

perhaps i did post this one before... was going through old photos and thought it would be a good one to revive this thread with... I might have thought it was a good one last year as well.. lol...

I told them to direct their contractor to move it as it wasn't in accordance with the drawings. He said he conferred with the client before he put it there and they would have to pay to move it, they balked and found a different painting for the wall.

Aug 23, 10 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

So the painting is now framed by the thermostat, the receptacle, and two switches. Lovely.

Sorry Steven but I guess I never forget a construction mistake.

Thanks for reviving the thread, curt!

Aug 23, 10 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Oh, and I'll try to get a pic of what ended up getting built from my mockup - it might make you cry.

Aug 23, 10 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

finally won a big battle against the contractor. We rejected the installation of the pre-cast in the following photo.

FYI... The pre-cast is NOT supposed to have shadows on the wall.. and while we're at it, the mortar joints have to align when they turn the corner... they're lucky we didn't catch the detail in the bid docs or shop drawings to mitre the corners or we might have made them do that too..

they really weren't going to rip it out and redo it until they absolutely had to. Finally, letter from the owner with our support that indicated if they didn't rip it out now and damage to the cornice or water infiltration occurred while they repaired it later, we'd make them redo everything as a result of their delay in not correcting the pre-cast now.

Aug 24, 10 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

Yikes. That mis-alignment is a beast - in two directions, at least!

Aug 24, 10 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
postal

wow, somehow one of our details got on your building!

seriously, we had these squares tipped on the diagonal cast in structural precast wall panels, for that oh so delicate 2"-0" shadow line.

Aug 24, 10 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

not necessarily a pic, but more of a video on CNN today of the project I completed two years ago.... still nice to get more press..

link to video on CNN
Apr 13, 11 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
AP

3 images from the past 7-10 days of our job site in Shanghai.  My partner and I are visited the site a few weeks ago at the outset of the project, and have since been tracking progress with the help of an architect/artist that we teamed with for CA.  The contractor's work should be done as of today (pics forthcoming), and furniture will be coming in soon.  the space is for an academic satellite center -- 2 classrooms, a shared office, and a reception/lounge area.  As you can see, we're using honeycomb polycarbonate panels as partitions (and also made sliding doors with PC panels).  There are only windows on 1 wall, so the PC allows natural light to penetrate the space while still creating the separation that the client required.

curt clay - very cool.  i was there a while back (3 years?)...must've been before your work.  now I have an excuse to go back.

Apr 13, 11 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

Thanks AP.  I'd love to see the detail on the sliding PC pocket door... that shit is hot!

Apr 14, 11 10:22 am  · 
 · 
AP

As of this morning CST (or late tonight in Shanghai)...the glowing PC ceiling in full effect.

Apr 14, 11 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

New Restrooms at UT's FAC recently finished

...nevermind, can't get the links to work :(

Apr 14, 11 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

AP, looks amazing.  Everything shimmery silvery white.

Some nice stone tile in a master bath remodel this morning.

Apr 21, 11 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

What kind of awesome stone is that? That's super nice!

Apr 21, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

I've made it a life goal to try to get someone crazy enough to use green onyx in a project:

Apr 21, 11 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

The view from a recently completed project this past Tuesday; I never minded these site visits.

Apr 28, 11 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

phuyake that NYC near Central Park?

Apr 28, 11 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

also lletdownl, regarding image at top of this page, is that CityCenter, Las Vegas?

Apr 28, 11 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Nam, it is. Central park west, a few blocks north of Columbus Circle. They have that view from almost every window. Here's the master shower:

Apr 28, 11 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

really nice phu...my fiance did a project a bit further north on CPW that had similarly amazing views from inside and from wrap-around balconies and a roof deck.

Apr 28, 11 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Nam, yes thats right... city center... veer towers.  turned out pretty well i think...

http://www.murphyjahn.com/veer.html

Apr 28, 11 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

what a view phuyaké 

I thought so lletdownl. Are those yellow parts of the facade decorative or moveable louvers for sun-shading etc?

Apr 28, 11 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

the yellow color is actually a frit in the glass... its intended to reduce gain... but obviously it didnt need to be yellow... so the color and the pattern are mostly decorative, though the frit helps shade quite a bit and minimally impacts views from inside... 

Apr 28, 11 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

"No, Mr. Contractor I did not spec a kaleidescope for my curtain wall.  You know I'm gonna have to reject this glass right?"

So now he thinks it's installed within ASTM standards, so he's going to get a testing agent out here to prove to me installed within ASTM standard tolerances... we'll see.

Feb 9, 12 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: