Archinect
anchor

Jobsite Pic of The Day

freq_arch

Here's the face with the overhead doors for two boats. Accomodations are on the second storey.

Here's the interior facing the water. Plan of the upper floor is a cruciform, with each face receiving some variation of this fenestration.

It's a pretty conventional design (aesthetically, anyway), since the goal was to compliment the rather conventional looking main cottage.

And, Liberty - if you went to the trouble of making it clear before they built the casework (and paying them extra) - stick to your guns and get the cabinets reworked the way you wanted them! The better GC's and Carpenters will (perhaps grudgingly) accept this as the right thing to do.

Oct 17, 06 11:06 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

LB- with that upcharge, you should have a good case for getting the grain to match. SEND THEM BACKKKKKKKKKKKK. or demand a refund of the upcharge.

Oct 17, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thanks for advice everyone: the cabinet company was there today taking pictures to send to the manufacturer, looks like we'll be getting enw doors. Which is good in terms of quality construciton, but such a bummer in terms of construciton waste. That's a big issue for me: I hate how readily we just tear stuff out and throw it away, not just architects but HVAC guys and cabinet guys and masons and everyone else.

Th cabinets are absolutely beautiful in every other way, they have that drawer piston action that is so popular now, where the drawer gets pulled silently closed even if you don't shut it all the way. Sweet.

Of course installing them correctly is a challenge, but since I'm working with The Best Ever Carpenters In The History Of The Universe it seems to be going smoothly...no joke, I am learning tons from these guys just watching how they figure things out. I love carpenters (hug).

freq_arch I love your boathouse project. Seems like a challenging job, what with underwater foundations and parts of it needing to float, right? The cruciform plan must be fun to play with formally/infomally with the mis/matching fenestration. I assume the door shown above opens out to a deck over the boat doors? What is the aupper interior space, hang-out space or an apartment?

Love this thread.

Oct 17, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

LB- I'll take those (wrong) doors!

or you can install them in 4 different locations so you can't see the mis matched grain. Do you have the bathroom cabinets installed yet? then the garage always needs more storage.

Oct 17, 06 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Liberty,
Yes it was fun and a challenge getting the plan and fenestration to work. Luckily, as with you, I've got a GC that cares about details, so the installation of the doors and windows is being done with an eye toward making the trim work well (in some places a top casing here becomes a bottom casing there).
Yes, the door shown does open to a deck that is over water. The boats are housed below that deck (and the accomodations).
None of this project floats. Everything is built on steel piles and superstructure. It's like building a teeny little house / garage on a bunch of steel beams.
As for the cruciform, it gets compromised only by a few interior partitions. The main space includes a kitchenette and 'hang-out' space, and there's a bathroom and bedroom. I've included an arch top transom over the door to the bedroom so the symmetry will be legible, not sure if it will read as a cruciform once it's done.

Oct 17, 06 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

freq- what were the code/zoning issues for building over the water? most places I've been have very strict limits for how much shadow can cover the water... Any issues with the FEMA flood map - any details to deal with the eventual high water?

Oct 17, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Yup, lots and lots of regulation to do with over-water development.
Not FEMA (I'm your neighbour to the north - you might guess from the spelling of 'neighbour').
To get a boathouse built, you need approval from the ministry of natural resources (approval is based mainly on the appropriateness of the foundation type to the fish habitat), then you need to enter into a long term lease for the rights over that water, then you need to have the thing meet the local bylaws, which are rightly very, very limiting when building over water.
When designing, the high water mark is considered. The water height variance for most locations I work is controlled, and pretty limited.
Aside from that, easy as pie.

Generally, the end result is a very complicated site analysis to ensure bylaws are respected (I recall about a dozen distinct setback, width area and height limitations to do with this one). End result is a big chunk of time and expense to design one. By the way, the area limit for accomodations (living space) above a boathouse in most areas around here is 650 sq ft. Couple that with the cost of a typical boathouse pile and beam system, and it makes for some seriously skewed cost / sq ft numbers.

Oct 17, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™
Wednesday 10/25 Pic of th day:

This thing fell out of the Terra Cotta today when they removed some Back-up Block...it must have been hibernating, because it didn't move after it landed on the floor - it just looked at us and hissed. It had a 10-inch wingspan and looked like pure evil. More than anything, I think it looks like a miniature Flying Buffalo. Anyway, nothing embodies fall and halloween more than a jet-black vampire bat and a cool breeze off Lake Michigan.

Oct 25, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh my god Poczatek I hope you didn't hurt it!! It wasn't hibernating, just sleeping - if someone woke you up in the middle of the night you'd probably lay there and hiss too! I love bats, poor thing.

Oct 25, 06 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
AP

19OCT2006 - footings being placed for a 5ksqft addition to an existing fitness center. The 2-story addition includes men's and women's locker rooms, 2 group exercise studios, one large fitness area, and an expansion of the existing lobby (including my favorite part - an open stair connecting the entrance to the upper level)...

25OCT2006 - steel being erected.

*this is the first [almost] built project that I've had significant design input on...so, it may not look like much, but, you know what they say about your first time...

Oct 26, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

AP- did you get a chance to drive the excavator?

I've always wanted to try my hand at equipment operations- maybe should just go down to my rent-a-center and take a skidloader for a spin...

Oct 26, 06 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

hmmmm. I put dates on those captions...not sure what happened...

they should have read:
19OCT2006 - footings being placed...

25OCT2006 - steel being erected.

Oct 26, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
AP

nope TK, no construction work for me at the moment.

During my high school summers I worked construction and learned how to operate a Bobcat. That was cool...I rolled it onto its' back once, but other than that I did alright...

Oct 26, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

I love that part - the steel going up. It always happens so fast, and feels so good...
Sorry, got to thinking about MY first time...

I really didn't intend any inuendo when I started typing this. Oops.

Oct 26, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

here are my 3 main projects that are currently under construction...

here is the almost complete entry building to a public pool complex... it is finished now and AP should have some pics in one of his upcoming blogs... i showed this earlier before the perforated aluminum screen and sculpture had been installed...

here's a "boundless playground" that is under construction... next week we'll be putting in the poured rubber surfacing and forever lawn (fake grass)...

here's a big hole in the ground where we are excavating and replacing over 5000 cubic yards of unsuitable organic soils before we can start the foundations on a new 26,000SF recreation center... we have a building pad ready for foundations on one wing of the building and are now excavating the bad soil on the other wing... i'm sick of looking at dirt...

Oct 26, 06 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

architphil, nice entry feature. ery cool with the perf screen.

AP, your first time is important - don't be shy about bragging!

Here is my problem du jour:

[img]http://static.flickr.com/101/280749175_41f809800e.jpg?v=1161974148 width=418[/url]

I am eating this one, though luckily the tile contractor is giving it to me at cost. The drawing shows the grout lines of the field tile and accent glass tiles aligning, which they clearly do not. However, I showed up after the first five courses had been laid and approved what he was doing. Somehow I missed the fact that everything was off by an inch - I don't know how I bonked so badly, but I did. So I told him to proceed, and now I have to pay to tear out the glass tile, get new glass tile, and reinstall it.

Live and learn.

Oct 27, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

oops------

Oct 27, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

PS the colors are waaaay better in real life - the glass is really luminous in a bright white field.

Oct 27, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

it looks good to me. read better as an independent strip. i like it even better than perfectly lining up.
but i am also aware of your dilemma.

Oct 27, 06 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya lb, it looks deliberate to me...

the plumbing[?] looks like a face...

Oct 27, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

i think that i like it better this way too... as abra said, it reads more independently (if that's what you're going for)...

Oct 27, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Isn't that one of the characters from the old Mystery Science 3000 show sticking his face through there?

Oct 27, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well that's nice of you guys to be so supportive but I disagree. It will be better lined up - this is a super-modern design.

On the other hand, I agree with Rim Joist that the shower valve looks like Crow from MST3K.

Oct 27, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

shower valve rough in looks like vado's dog sticking his nose out.

Oct 27, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

you'll have to post a before and after so that we can compare the lined up vs. not lined up...

Oct 27, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

one of the 60s houses under construction in Montserrat

Oct 28, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

oh, by the way, that is one of the best tile shower compositions i saw liberty bell.

Oct 28, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

here is the hair salon interior remodel nearly done. black and red interiors with 80's plywood desk had to be updated as their 'new-wave' customers aged and became tamed property owners. i had to keep existing foot print of everything because terazzo floors were poured after the cabinets etc. i used back painted glass to cover the front desk.
they hired me to make it more open and lighter. my installation is full of minor fuck ups but does the over all mission alright. if it was lb, she would stress big time.

they now want me to work on exterior.

here are sort of corresponding b & a's

Oct 28, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Good job, Ohran.

It's amazing how the ceiling has such a different affect in the new space, yet it remained technically unchanged (at least in the photos looking towards the outside).

Did they INSIST on keeping their clock in the same place?

Oct 28, 06 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Lovely, Orhan, as usual - so cool (in the old 1930's meaning of that word) and clean and classy. I see no fuck-ups at all. And as DCA sais, the ceiling is so much better just plain white. Congrats on getting more work doing the exterior, too! I hope that work own't have to happen on as restricted a schedule as the interior did - wierd working hours, as I recall.

architechno, do you mean "sixty" houses or "sixties - style" houses? They look fun, in either case. More info?

Oct 28, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

architechnophilia – do you have any more pic's you could share of the houses under construction in Montserrat?

Oct 28, 06 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

yeah i found an all white plastic clock from the breake room in the back and changed with more celebrated and designerly clock they had up there. it instantly looked better and i won some pointers for creating a better look with something they have already had in a lesser important area. it was like saying 'union made' is better.

hairdressers are so 'what time is it' dependent people beyond my previous guess, like they need to know what time it is every other minute, and, they think every construction task takes as long as a haircut, in their mind...

Oct 28, 06 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
AP

that back-painted glass is hot hot hot.

Oct 29, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Orhan-
So do you now get free hair cuts?

Oct 29, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 

by far the most beautiful job site I've ever worked on...

Nov 4, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Liberty sorry - 60 houses...brain was obviously asleep

Katze check my flickr page or architechnophilia

Nov 4, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

thought for sure that would of gotten a comment

Nov 8, 06 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sorry architechno, been busy - but I have a jobsite pic update of my own, maybe I'll post it tonight, then I'll check out your project too.

Nov 8, 06 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Houses under construction in Lookout, Montserrat

are those your projects?

architechnophilia i was gonna say something when i first checked your pics the other day, but i forgat what it was now.
beauituful site indeed. it reminded me the uncontrollable and spreading developments taking a place in aegean coast in turkey with also beautiful hills looking down to beautiful coves.

i hope i am not offending anybody but those houses are not par with the site. i've said the same thing to many people in turkey who approached to me to design just like the neighbors' concrete block house on a beautiful site. i mean, whats a swiss chalet doing on a hill looking to the sea? but there are tons of them. first started by germans who are building their retirement getaways in relatively inexpensive turkish coast, then followed british and french and worst turks. whole coast is an ongoing construction site with scarce water supplies and improper sewage systems.

Nov 8, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
cjacobs

freq_arch, where is the boat house located? very interested! I'm thinking about redoing my families boat house down the line!

Nov 8, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

cjacobs, I answered by email.

Nov 9, 06 7:50 am  · 
 · 
rutger

Yeah, they are moving in, I'm not a virgin anymore ;-)

I'm scanning the negatives at the moment, more images in this flickr set.

Nov 19, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan Ayyuce i agree with you wholeheartedly. However this site despite being on one of the more beautiful locations is actually for low income housing. Which in my heart makes it okay.

Nov 19, 06 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

there goes that view...

Nov 19, 06 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

demo of an unpermitted house in turkey

*architechnophilia that makes it better and i am sure once the people move in they will make the place much nicer than the construction site. but that situation in turkey is really extreme.

Nov 19, 06 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
luco

Nov 20, 06 7:40 am  · 
 · 
luco

Nov 20, 06 7:44 am  · 
 · 
AP
flickr construction set

, YMCA project, images from 19OCT-21NOV 2006.

Nov 28, 06 11:25 am  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

How many SF is that?
I kid, I kid!

Looks fun. I ♥ Construction Photo's.

Nov 28, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

quick preface: I worked construction in high school, but we were building someone elses drawings. This project represent my first time seeing built that which I (and a few others) put on paper). pardon my excitement at what may seem quotidian...I already posted a link to the set above, but here are some pics with explanation...

01NOV2006 -

the yellow box to the right is a gymnasium (dbl height).
our firm did the yellow box a few years ago (well before I started). Their program was a gymnasium and a lobby to connect the gym to an existing fitness facility (which was previously a golf clubhouse, probably built in the 60's). We are currently attaching 2 group exercise rooms (level 1) and a large fitness area (level 2) to the precast gym. We've also doubled the lobby volume, including an open stair...

from the other side...(standing in the future locker room, looking past the lobby extension, into the large fitness space.

21NOV2006 -

trusses designed to allow ductwork to pass through
(level 2 fitness area)...

from fitness area, looking toward lobby extension (the ground drops 3' in section from the fitness area and into the 2nd story lobby extension). sparks in the foreground - the deck was being attached to the trusses...

gusset plate. in order to have large glass openings, the main facade required eccentric braces in 2 locations.

from fitness area looking at lobby extension. the existing storefront will be removed, a ramp will be placed along the grey wall, and a few steps will be placed alongside it (seperated by a short wall)...

ground floor group exercise room, concrete being cut, jobsite super standing in the future lobby extension. locker room beyond.

construction should be COmplete by April.

Nov 28, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: