Archinect
anchor

Jobsite Pic of The Day

I'll plug some of the photos taken by first-year Tom for the Yale Building Project:

They're all rotating on the YSOA frontpage, so they that's why have the logo. There's more here.

Jun 17, 06 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
albeit 90 years ago today
Jun 23, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I love this thread, so I'm reviving it.

Future powder room, current insulation container.

freq_arch, can you post more of your boathouse?

Jul 25, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

More after my visit later this week.

Jul 25, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
ross

[img]http://static.flickr.com/66/199101216_cc13f2435b_b.jpg width=418[img]

Jul 26, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
ross
Jul 26, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nice work, sabbo.

And I love the emptiness, ross.

Can't wait for more, freq! how nice it would be to swing a hammer by a lake...

Jul 26, 06 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Miserable day, yesterday.
I won't see it again for a couple of weeks. I'll post if there are interesting shots.

By the way, there really are some good builders out there. This one is showing his stuff early - I checked nailing patterns on framing headers - they look like they were marked and measured (in both directions). I'm looking forward to seeing the floor assembly for the accomodations above go up (it's about as complicated a framing system as any floor could be).

Jul 27, 06 8:59 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

this morning contractor returned the drawings after final inspection. done is beautiful. see 06/16/06 11:12 on this thread.

Jul 27, 06 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
e909
This this was sitting on a sill in the abandoned basement we're putting offices in. How'd it get there?

leave it alone! That little guy voodoos away all of the cockroaches.

Jul 28, 06 1:15 am  · 
 · 
e909

time-capsules.

don't you leave little funny things for future people to find? i try to donate at least the traditional soda bottle.

Jul 28, 06 1:17 am  · 
 · 
e909
client is a writer

Ross Perot's crazy aunt was a writer? i hadn't known.

Jul 28, 06 1:19 am  · 
 · 
e909
"width=418"

the swipable example below "post a response..." should be
{img}http://www.image.com/image.jpg width=99%{/img}
(curlys subbed for squares)
or bookmark this if you have troubles with precision typing.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%5Bimg%5Dhttp+width%3D99%25%5B%2Fimg%5D

Jul 28, 06 1:31 am  · 
 · 
e909
covering only %25 of the lot, thus leaving plenty of open space between the buildings

very nice!
(in contrast) when i see tract houses facing this way and that, or fencing off a creek, i get annoyed.

Jul 28, 06 1:34 am  · 
 · 
e909

quondam, Stotesbury
they needed better cameras in 1916. :-\

Jul 28, 06 1:42 am  · 
 · 
e

here are some pics of my jobsite: my house.

we hired a contractor to level the front porch, remove two small columns to each side of the stairs that were add at some point for, ahem, decorative purposes, had the structure of the porch replaces, the stairs rebuilt, and a new deck applied. the wood for the deck and stairs is ipe.

while this was happening, i pulled all of the grass up in the parking strip, removed a couple of yards of the nasty hard clay soil, and added new compost, slate paving and plantings.

the last coat of oil is going on the deck today.

Jul 28, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Lovely deck, e, nice and tight, and the ipe is gorgeous. And I love your big pieces of slate - lots of color!

Jul 28, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
e

thx lb. next feat is to remove the rest of the asbestos siding [seen to the right in the first pic]. i have been removing one side a year. the original siding [now grey] is under the asbestos. the original siding is in great shape. i've only had to replace about 5-10% of it. there have been a number of trim items that i've had to rebuild [the belly band and a couple of windows that have been sided over], but that's it. tired of living in a half white/half grey world.

Jul 28, 06 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

nice ht for a door bell button and knob. my friend has one o those bell things they are realy nice and simple design.

Jul 28, 06 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, they aren't that expensive either. i think it was only like $30-35.

Jul 28, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
AP

damn e. keeping the place real tight, front and back.
...so the archinect shaman (lb, abra, e...SW?) have a pension for clean and tight - life adding the color...

Jul 28, 06 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Right on, AP: clean and tight is harder to do well. So I appreciate it when I see it. As Rick Joy says, "Less is more work"!

Also, e, the mailbox looks quite nice! Can you tell us who makes it?

Jul 28, 06 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
e

tight indeed. my neighbor often wonders if i am buidling an ark. dood, we live in seattle. of course i am.

Jul 28, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
e

less does mean more work. i should have taken stock in caulk. 85 years of paint have still not closed the gaps in the beadboard ceiling on my porch or between trim and wall surfaces. i am now a trained caulk master.

lb, here is the mailbox. it's a big one, but i work out of my home so it comes in handy. your mags don't get crumpled either. it also locks too which is nice since i've had my mail stolen by local meth addicts.

and here are custom house numbers you can have made too. they also sell spacers to lift the numbers off the body of the house.

Jul 28, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

ap, i will admit to being proud when our realtor called the house we just sold 'meticulously updated' in the listing, even though i am otherwise highly suspect of realtor-speak.

Jul 28, 06 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

my jobsite for the next year or so:

Jul 28, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Jul 28, 06 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
AP

nice, looks like you're in for some fun. I look forward to following the progress...

'meticulously updated' is certainly the most genuinely complimentary term i've heard coming from a realtor.

Jul 28, 06 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I'm gonna follow in the wise ones' footsteps... I strive for clean and tight. 2 and a half years of trying to get projects built as simply(looking), neat, and tight have resulted in me being unable to enjoy the magazines anymore: "Is that really a wall with no baseboard at all??? How did they find a contractor willing to do that? Is there in fact a flush piece of poplar fitted along the bottom of the gyp? If so, how did they hide the joint??" etc etc etc.

**this was honest-to-God my reaction to a lovely home featured in Dwell a few months back... I cannot tell you how many times I look at the pictures of tight, clean designs that have actually been built and wonder how in the hell they convinced the contractor to do each and every little piece...now that I know what a pain in the ass it is to get something to look like that! Minimal is the hardest animal of all.

Jul 29, 06 12:52 am  · 
 · 
Erik Schonsett

Cops at my jobsite!

Well, today was an interesting day. Aparently there was this guy who car jacked a man in front of our jobsite. He stabbed the guy with a knife. He then ran into our jobsite and hid in the building. The cops showed up and evacuated everyone! They even got the dogs involved! You can see the dog (barely) in the upper right by the cop car.

Well, they caught the guy. Aparently he was hiding under the east stairwell. They released the dog and he went straight to the guy. The cops are holding him at the entrance for a wittness to ID him. He's in the white tank top in the upper right.

Jul 29, 06 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

whatcha gonna do when they come for you...

Jul 29, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jul 31, 06 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman
Aug 1, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
e

congrats on the new house steven. look at that porch. nice.

Aug 1, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My carpenter rigged up this mechanism for drawing the radii on the living room remodel I'm working on. I wish I could think more like a carpenter - the good ones are priceless and this guy in particular is wonderful and so patient with me.

So is it over the top for me to bring him some homemade cookies tomorrow?

Aug 16, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Go on, bring him some cookies!
What's the worst thing that could happen...

... an awkward silence?

By the way, I did a curved wall / millwork bank in a commercial setting once and found that you get a better result if you request that the millwork guy lay out the curve and cut the top & bottom plates instead of having the metal tud framer do it (they're just better at the stuff that requires a fine hand to look right).

Aug 17, 06 7:54 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

One more post just to get that Hasselhoff picture further off the screen.
Man is that disturbing!

My boathouse pics from last week got erased (oops).
I'll post again in a week or two.

Aug 17, 06 7:56 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Good advice, freq. In this case the contractor is a small shop and the framer/head carpenter/trim guy are all the same. He's really good at the detail work.

Can't wait to see more of the boathouse. And vado is up punchlisting today, maybe he'll have some pics to share when he gets back? I love this thread.

Aug 17, 06 9:01 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Has everyone hugged their carpenters today?

Aug 17, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
Aug 23, 06 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Aug 23, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Aug 23, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Aug 23, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

vado- I notices your reflection in the top pic- cool shirt! (and nice modular building across the street)...

Aug 23, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thats called a jobsite trailer

Aug 23, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

haha. i was gonna guess portable classroom.

Aug 23, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

In LA, they have those at the prisons... If you've been locked up in that thing, then we can figure out how you've had so much time to post to 'nect lately.

When are you released?

Aug 23, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i don't really spend that much time posting. its just that my time spent posting is so efficient.

Aug 23, 06 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

before..

in progress...

in school some people called me anti design. i still think they were wrong.

Aug 23, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This is the fancy-schmancy salon. Orhan?? Can't wait to see more!

I'll vouch for vado's posting efficiency - he can even multi-task: posting while talking to me on the phone!

I'll have some more jobsite pics soon - if I can get my carpenter to put his shirt back on.

Aug 23, 06 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: