Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet? (fall 2007)

vapor

if wow is who i think he is, his portfolio will take an hour to download. haha.

Mar 16, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
shykee

I noticed that Buckity said that CCNY has a gorgeous building. I actually visited the MArch program, and I can tell you with certainty that the building and the facilities are by far the worst I've seen. However, the director, Andrew Zago, is really really cool, and since it is a small basically one-man-show, the program is producing amazing work. They are actually building a new facility which will be ready in '08. Hold on, we're dealing with NYC government red-tape in all it's pompous officious glory- make that 2010, if lucky. GL w/ admiss.

Mar 16, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
uzshef

buckity.

I've heard the same thing about Yale...I guess Herbert Newman (?) is the place on campus. I definitely don't want to get trapped in New Haven, unless maybe at Pelli's, but I rather go to the NYC office.

Mar 16, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

Shepard Hall is a beautiful building. It is old and huge with amazing stone and woodwork throughout the entire place. Huge windows with 360 views of the city. It really is gorgeous in my opinion.

I also said that the technology sucks - it is very true that the resources are minimal.

Mar 16, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

Shhh, the mailtruck just pulled up!

Mar 16, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
+i

do people actually *want* to work for SOM?

Mar 16, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

No, that's kind of my point.

So, apparently a bunch of people were accepted to the GSD via fedex today.

Mar 16, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
+i

exactly- so i would expect the "fallback" firm to be something better than SOM

Mar 16, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
+i

at least something to give you some motivation to pay back all those student loans you're gonna have...

Mar 16, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Yeah, Columbia's fallback is Koolhaas, it seems. But that's just because he and Mau are graphic design partners all the time.

Mar 16, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

buckity,

via fedex?? really? whered you hear that from?

Mar 16, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Clemson,

www.thegradcafe.com

everyone lists where they were accepted or rejected and via what means. There are a couple posts for the GSD's arch program saying that they got fedex bubble packs this morning. One of them said that the fedex was postmarked the 9th, which is odd.

Mar 16, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Clemson,

www.thegradcafe.com

everyone lists where they were accepted or rejected and via what means. There are a couple posts for the GSD's arch program saying that they got fedex bubble packs this morning. One of them said that the fedex was postmarked the 9th, which is odd.

Mar 16, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

that is odd, i didnt think fedex delivered things that slowly!

Mar 16, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
jwillefo

I deal with Fed Ex quite a bit at work and I can tell you they do deliver things that slowly at times. Sometimes they don't even end up in the right place or if the weather is bad, you're package isn't getting there on time. If commercial flights are cancelled, so are the Fed Ex flights. Such a headache that company is.

Mar 16, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

indeed. It took a week and a half for my mum's Christmas assortment of Daifuku to reach her via FedEx. >:(

Mar 16, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

mmmm, daifuku.

Mar 16, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

ohhhh mochi. that's my dog's name.

Mar 16, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

everywhere:

Accepted. few people here got calls back in Feb too.

Mar 16, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

it's the infamous ding!

Mar 16, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

it's the infamous neat!

Mar 16, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

ding, people were uttering your name in not too positive ways a while back on the commiseration thread... perhaps you should go back and fess up.

Mar 16, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

according to the conservation of luck theory, all the years of ridiculous and unspeakable events of misfortune have led up to the most unimaginable thing: yale, gsd m.archI. i really didn't think i had a shot at all. i still can't believe it!

Mar 16, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

neat. it doesn't matter what other people say about me. i don't have to do anything. it's an online thread... it's like the game second life. if you fucked up it, restart it. Move on...

the most important thing is that... I'm in GSD and few other top schools. I can leave this thread and get ready for the real deal.

Mar 16, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Yay! Congrats Froccli.

Mar 16, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Buckity - Yeah, I posted the entry in Grad Cafe about the March 9th Fedex from GSD. I guess I forgot to clarify, I'm an international applicant, so the package had to go around the globe. =)

Mar 17, 07 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Monolith

Unconditional offer from University of Liverpool. Excellent!

Mar 18, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

unconditional? what does that mean in terns of an acceptance letter?

Mar 18, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
dillup.

in regards to where Yale grads go and how "employable" they are...

its ironic that people are saying they go to herb newman's because I actually did a little part time work there for a week over spring break to earn some extra cash. i can assure you there are no recent grads there. there are some yale grads there but most from like 20 years ago when herb started the firm.

its true there a few grads who go to pelli's in new haven or stern's in new york every year, often for financial reasons. and some who go to corporate firms like som and kpf. in general, probably most do go to new york, but they work for a range of firms of varying sizes and types of work... there's also more than a few go abroad to places like oma, hadid, etc.

some of the comments i've read about yale are pretty off base - my 2 cents is if i were applying i wouldn't base my decisions off things i read in the forums (this post included) but instead the primary sources...

Mar 18, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

ding - here is something you wrote on the first page of this thread:

"oops. on the 22nd, not on the Feb. i still can't fucking believe Washington University accepted me. Should've applied GSD.... Under estimated myself."

So you didn't apply to GSD but somehow you got in. amazing.

Mar 18, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Syracuse - Accepted to M.Arch 1 with advanced placement! Also with a scholarship, cash stipend and a graduate assistantship!

Mar 18, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

cp - you fill me with dismay. I would settle for getting into the schools I applied to. I would also gladly pawn my soul to go to half of those schools. You speak to me of magical acceptances where people didn't apply and of getting paid to go to school.

Are you trying to hurt me?

Mar 18, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Buckity I would never try to hurt you. Definitely not getting paid to go to school but certainly offered some help.

Mar 18, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

You are basically being paid though. I think it is great.

Mar 18, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Thanks Buckity. I am pretty happy about it.

I am looking forward to this week. We will all be getting a lot of news to report I'm sure. good luck everyone!

Mar 18, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

CPnorris...I was thinking
I think you have shown that life can still be good without a call form Toshiko on a Friday afternoon....and maybe 2.5 yerars with a little cash ...is much better than 3.5 and sparse funding.

Mar 19, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

ff - seriously. he'll have so much more employment flexibility. those of us doing this via loans and stuff will be forced to make more financially based employment decisions - or eat ramen noodle for the next 3 decades. i didn't even know to be hoping for a stipend. grrrrrrrr.

Mar 19, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

Buckity,

Columbia's fallback in Koolhaas?
I thought he was more strongly associated with the GSD.

Mar 19, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

he is all over the place. all the big time starchitects are. they teach at multiple universities and the reality is you will never see them. i talked to a studio at yale and there instructor was Greg Lynn. They saw him once, the first day of studio. After that it was one of his minions. not to say that every starchitect is like that but you have to know what you are signing up for when you take a studio from someone like that. they are way to busy and often times are not all that commited to education.

Mar 19, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

I know a bunch of Columbians who worked for him - it is because they're so graphic design focused.

Mar 19, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
everywhere

So heard I got into University of Colorado Denver today.
Still waiting on UW, though I emailed to find out when I might hear from them.

The problem is I've been living overseas for the last two years, so I've been doing all this pretty much over the net. I won't be able to visit personally, and one can only garner so much from a school's (admittedly biased) website. So it's a big help to hear others' thoughts on programs.

So far I'm in with NJIT, IIT, and Colorado.

Still waiting to hear from UW, UOregon, UIChicago, and Cal Poly Pomona.

Anybody got advice, tips, warnings, recommendations for the three schools I'm in, as well as those I'm still waiting on. If I get into UW, It's pretty much a cinch I'll go there. But if they're a no, I'm going to have a difficult decision.

I want a well rounded education, hoping to eventually be a part of small boutique firm. I'm very interested in sustainable design as well as affordable, low income housing. I also will probably want to eventually work in the Northwest too, which might make UO a better option, though I'm not wild about Eugene or what sounds like outdated facilities.

So what you guys got for me.

Mar 19, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I lived in Eugene for a brief period and considered finishing my B.Arch. there... I actually thought UO's facilities were pretty decent, and the campus is beautiful. Eugene itself is fairly sleepy (a big factor in my coming back to Chicago), but the people are friendly and the natural scenery in the area is incredible. Plus, after your first year or so in Eugene you have the option of finishing out the program in Portland, which is a very cool city. UO also has a fairly heavy focus on sustainable design, and I think they do some sort of community design project as well.

Mar 19, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
everywhere

I grew up outside of Seattle. I love the Northwest and Portland is a great city. Yeah, Eugene is a bit sleepy, but I could handle that, if the program fit me.
Thanks for the input LinG. The first two years is Eugene with the option of the third in Portland.

Mar 19, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
ryjny27

i just got into RISD march 1 program and with a scholarship ...but i have been wondering about the graduate program ... what kind of work do they do in studios plus doesnt anyone knows the rank ?

Mar 19, 07 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I just got into UCLA M.Arch 1. Somehow they said that I am missing an architectural history class. Funny cause my undergrad degree is in architecture and I took 2 history classes plus multiple theory classes.

Mar 19, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

uh oh, missing the upper level arch history elective ;)

congrats cp! what is your top choice? are you going to the open house on the 1st and 2nd?

Mar 19, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I don't think I'm gonna go. I got a really good offer from Syracuse and I really liked there program a lot. It was one of my top choices. I am still waiting to hear from a few other schools so we'll see.

I am a bit turned off by how much it costs to live in LA and the fact that I would have to have a car to get anywhere. $1,000 a month so I can drive 20 minutes to campus? Not so nice. But there program is really good. This is getting really confusing.

Mar 19, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
ryjny27

i just got into RISD MARCH 1 program and with a scholarship ...but i have been wondering about the graduate program ... what kind of work do they do in studios plus doesnt anyone knows the rank ?

Mar 19, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

please don't bring up rankings

Mar 19, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

M.Arch. at RISD is ranked #237, behind the Boston Architectural College but ahead of Yale. I'd turn down the scholarship and go to DeVry (#3) instead.

Mar 19, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: