Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet? (fall 2007)

Say No to Student Loans

i saw that penn wants you to have 2 years of professional experience to get into a 2 year program.. i'm considering deffering a year to work more and then get into the 2 year. i might get more financial aid then too.

70% penn
15% u michigan
15% wash u

where are you thinking of going..

ding-
sirgemhl-

Mar 24, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

I got into columbia and upenn, both 3 years...
I dont think i will be able to afford either.. so I may need to work for a year as well.

Mar 24, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

sirgemhl, congrats

are you going to go to upenn's open house?

Mar 24, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

thanks b.d.f.
I think i will but not sure yet.
im still in school and am working on a project, so it all depends.
was it the 9th?

Mar 24, 07 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
everywhere

Found out I got into U of Oregon today. So the question remains, between University of Oregon and University of Colorado at Denver, which school has the strongest sustainability program?

Mar 24, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

man..everywhere..I think i told you before...CU -Denver is not that good of a school unless you are just trying to get done cheaply and get a job. Ihave heard better tings about Oregon... You shoudl email me and we can talk.

p.s Teh skiing is great Here though!

Mar 25, 07 12:23 am  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

b.d.f.

It's not a bad idea to take a year off. i'm pretty sure you will get back into UPenn or better schools. If I were you, low on cash.... I wouldn't mind to take a year off. Make some $$$ + get profession experience. 3 x $40,000 at UPenn. Bro... a down payment on a house. Well, pretty much the same at Wash U.

I'm going to Wash U's open house. Are you going?

sirgemhl:

not a bad call - a year off. Here is an example:

Three years ago, one of my friends (Undergrad TA) got accepted to Yale, but she coould not afford the $40G a year. So, she took two years off and saved up $$$ ....etc. Then she applied again last year and got in... with "half ride".

Deadline on April 15th, is that right? Let me know what's up, I'm curious.

Mar 25, 07 2:41 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

wait... b.d.f and srgemhl:

you guys got accepted to UPenn 3 year program and not going? I am on the waiting list. I probably won't able to go due to money problems.

I would like to go there, but damn... $40,000 + other living spending = $50,000 a year. I don't think i can go.

Anyhow, please let me know if you two are going. I would be nice if I could make it from the waiting list, but not going..... haha....

I mean, It's a great idea to take a year off. Save up a lot. I totally agree with you all.

Mar 25, 07 3:51 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

does anyone know if columbia will let students deffer????

Mar 26, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

I don't think any of the programs allow deferred admissions. Of course, that would be pretty sweet if they did.

Mar 26, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

It'd be cool to see some archinecters' sample renderings modeled in rhino using the various programs out there - maxwell, vray, brazil. i know that the websites have their own galleries, but I'm sure they only post the topnotch shots. I'd like to see what a typical output is.

Mar 26, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

I think Penn allows you to defer for $500. If true i really might considering taking a year off, moving to Philly and working. Then, I will have two years of professional experience with firms (unless they consider professional experience to be with an architecture license..). With that credential, I can get out of a year's curriculum and only be there for 2. Working in Philly, i can still connect myself to the school (lectures and connections to students and faculty), make some tuition money, possibly earn some financial aid, and maybe learn Maya or a BIM before school.

Does that sound like a decent plan?

Mar 26, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

nevermind:

Q: Is it possible to defer?
A: Some departments will permit you to defer under certain circumstances; however, you should check with the individual department to determine its policy. The Department of Architecture, Department of Fine Arts, and the PhD Program in City and Regional Planning do not permit deferrals and you would be required to reapply if you are admitted but unable to attend. If you reapply within two years of the original application, your application materials will still be on file.

Mar 26, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
n_

cornell lets you defer.

yale does not.

Mar 26, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

That's interesting to know about Cornell. I looked all over their website but couldn't find any information about deferring one way or the other. If I got accepted there (fingers crossed), there's a strong chance I'd end up deferring until next year so that I can finish up my prerequisites and save up some additional money.

Harvard, Yake, and Penn do not permit deferrals, and I'm 99% certain Columbia doesn't allow deferrals either.

Mar 26, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

congrats kristin_kai!

that is good news that you got in and more importantly, that you are 100% sold on going their. for me, a lot of soul searching needs to be done..

Mar 26, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Living in Gin-

i am a big fan of your posts/ thoughts and sometimes humor. you have a lot of street cred here and really hope you get into cornell- you've done your research and i think you deserve to go their. if not, apply next year with a collage of your archinect responses- it could make for an interesting cover..

good luck

Mar 26, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Thanks!

Mar 26, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm hoping I hear from Cornell one way or the other this week... They were on spring break last week so I wasn't expecting anything then, but now they're back in session. Out with it already!

Mar 26, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I remember getting a rejection letter when I was doing all this shit... It was a total mess up hard coppy -- printed on nice paper with the school's emblem, but all the text was missing. So it just said:

RE:

Mar 26, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
med.

>>Continued:

My rejection letter said:

"RE: NOT RECOMENDED FOR ADMISSION"

Mar 26, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

oh shoot, i just realized my last post was placed in the wrong thread. was wondering why it never showed up.

Mar 26, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Cornell does allow you to defer. I called and asked them about 3 weeks ago. They said they would like a written request of why but they usually accept it.

Mar 26, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, that's encouraging. Now let's see if I can just get accepted.

Mar 26, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Oh by the way Gin, those letters from Cornell take forever to arrive. A friend of mine and I both applied there and he got accepted and I got waitlisted and both of our letters came around mid april -- his just a day before mine.

That's usually how it works. I applied to about 10 schools, and I only got three letters in march. Two were rejections and one was a waitlist.

Mar 26, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've heard that Cornell lets their acceptances out in sort of a slow dribble. Some people got email notifications earlier this month, but I wasn't so lucky. I suppose it's possible it went into my spam folder or that they didn't send emails to everybody who got admitted, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. I'll probably give them a call if I haven't heard anything by April 1st.

Mar 26, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

come on people
REAL INFO!!!
enough chit-chat!!

boy, this thread id gettin looooooooong

Mar 26, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Why do people want go to Pratt?

Just curious because I have no clue about the school and they just offered me admission. The only reason I applied was because they don't look at your gre and their student work looks interesting..

Mar 26, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
med.

nomadzilla, what kind of information do you need?

Mar 26, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, a whole different audience on this thread, huh?

Just dropping by to post my tally....these are all for post-professional, technical degrees:

Bartlett (UCL London) - Accepted
USC - Accepted
CMU - Accepted
UT Austin - WTF? Can I get something please? Anything?
UMN - They must have known I only sort of liked them and wasn't really "in like" with them - still haven't heard.

-dubK

Mar 26, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

My final tally

UC-Berkeley - Accepted
UCLA - Accepted
SCiArc - Accepted + 1/2 tuition
UTexas - Accepted
Rice - Accepted
Harvard - Rejected
MIT - Rejected

going to visit Rice the 9th and am looking forward to it...as well as eating some good mexican food at Pico's

Mar 26, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

OK here it is so far

Harvard - Rejected
Yale - Rejected
Syracuse - Accepted AP + scholarship
UCLA - Accepted
Rice - Unknown
UT Austin - Unknown

Probably going back to visit Syracuse again on April 13th for their open house

Mar 26, 07 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Jbond

with 95% of precincts reporting...

Harvard - rejected
Yale - accepted
Columbia - accepted

Mar 26, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

Berkeley - rejected
Columbia - rejected
Harvard - ? implied rejection. haven't checked my mail today
MIT - ?
SCI-Arc - accepted
UCLA - accepted
Yale - rejected

Mar 26, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

SCI-Arc - accepted
Harvard - accepted
Yale - accepted
Columbia - accepted
MIT - ?
Berlage - accepted
AA DRL - ?

All post-pro degrees except Columbia, where I applied for MArch I AP.
Narrowed down to pretty much Harvard vs Yale, and MIT of they let me in.

Mar 26, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

Accepted to 7, rejected from 1, waiting on 3:

University of Cincinnati - accepted
UT Austin - rejected
UI Chicago - accepted
Georgia Tech - accepted
University of Houston - accepted
NJIT - accepted
University of Washington Seattle - ?
University of Nevada Las Vegas - ?
WashU St. Louis - accepted
University of Texas San Antonio - ?
CU Denver - accepted

Mar 26, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
everywhere

Accepted to 5, waiting on 2

NJIT - accepted
IIT - accepted
UC Denver - accepted
UOregon - accepted
UIChicago - Accepted
Cal Poly, Pomona - ?
UW - ?

Don't care about about Cal, but man please UW
no whammy no whammy

thrilled about UO and UC Denver. Most interested in sustainable design and both programs (especially UO) look solid.

Mar 26, 07 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Catcow

With 40% precincts reporting on the Catcow M.Arch III Stakes...

Illinois Institute of Technology - accepted
Miami University (Ohio) - waitlisted
University of Illinois at Chicago - under review
University of Cincinnati - ?
Ohio State University - ?

Mar 26, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Hum4n

Balagan-you have been accepted to most top schools you are applying to, you should have received email from MIT like some had. I am surprised! I am waiting on MIT too, my only one school that I applied to.

Mar 26, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Hum4n

jasoncross-did you received a rejection from MIT?

Mar 26, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Heard from all but RISD >

PennDesign (accepted)
University of Michigan (accepted)
Washington University in Saint Louis (accepted)
UIC (accepted)
Pratt (accepted)
Sci-Arc (wait-listed)
RISD ?
Ball State University (accepted)

Mar 27, 07 12:09 am  · 
 · 
ryjny27

b.d.f. i think you might be in wait-listed.... couple of my friends have either get into RISD or got rejected already....Good luck

Mar 27, 07 12:19 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

no, just assuming that I did not get since I did not get the email today.

Mar 27, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

SCI-Arc - accepted
PennDesign - accepted
U Wash - Seattle - accepted
Pratt - accepted
Columbia - ???
RISD - ???

Mar 27, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

miss_j...

are you a 3 year applicant?

Mar 27, 07 2:14 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

Hum4n - Yeah, hopefully they're just being slow about it, although I can't complain, my choices are good enough as it is. =P

Mar 27, 07 4:22 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

designbydesign - yep yep. no arch background.

Mar 27, 07 4:35 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

me 3. where are you planning to go?

Mar 27, 07 4:36 am  · 
 · 
miss_j

designbydesign - i don't know yet...i just got 2 acceptances today so I haven't given it much thought. my top choice is probably SCI-arc right now, but I need to look into the schools more. unfortunately I won't be able to visit them...so it's going to be reallly tough to make a decision. what about you?

Mar 27, 07 4:52 am  · 
 · 
designbydesign

i visited SCI-arc last year. I really like the school. One of my design professors' son went to school there. Excellent top choice!!!

Me? I am not sure if i can go this year. If i had the money, I would go UW or RISD. I did't apply SCI-arc... mmm... I should've!

Where are you planning to visit? what's your 2nd or 3rd choice?

Mar 27, 07 5:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: