Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet? (fall 2007)

cpnorris

I'm in denver too. The school here is not very good. I was advised by numerous faculty members that I know to stay away. It's not so much that its a horrible school but it doesn't have the facilities that all the other schools have nor is it making any sort of effort to be competitive with the top schools. Seems happy to be very mediocre, which is a shame.

Mar 7, 07 10:21 am  · 
 · 
poisondarts

formfunction: i did the same thing... only applied to my top choice schools (urban planning, though, not architecture - have a b.arch already), thinking i could always apply again next year if it didn't work out.

the further i got into the process, the worse that idea seemed =)

Mar 7, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
w3

norris - those thoughts are definitely things that i've observed about cu from the outside...confirmation that i'm right really. that begs the question though - is there any reason why i should go to colorado besides the fact that even if i got zero dollars, i could practically pay out of pocket? any thoughts are appreciated...

Mar 7, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

I did the same thing and don't regret it a bit. Going to a lesser school would never pay off. I can't justify leaving my lucrative engineering career to go to a half-ass school.

Mar 7, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm in a similar boat. Schools I applied to this year: Cornell, GSD, Yale, Columbia, and Penn. Not much in the way of any "safety" choices.

However, I do have City College of New York in mind as a safety choice next year if all else fails. I understand their new M.Arch. program is off to a strong start, and if I got rejected by all my top-choice schools this year, I'd most likely move to NYC and work there for a year, which would have the benefit of qualifying me for in-state tuition at CCNY (which is peanuts compared to the Ivies) in 2008.

The other scenario I'm facing is that I may get into a couple of my top-choice schools, but finances may prevent me from being able to enroll in the fall. In that case I'd be more inclined to stay here in Chicago for another year, find a better job, and apply to the same schools next year when I'm in a better position financially.

Mar 7, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Well the good thing about CU Denver and being a resident of Colorado is that you could go there and get an accredited degree and be a licensed architect for practically no money. One of my professors who currently teaches there told me that if I did go there it would be a great deal financially but to make sure that I go somewhere else and get a post-professional degree too. Then you are paying for maybe 1-2 years of school else where but you still have a professional degree under your belt. So its not all bad I guess.

Mar 7, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
w3

yeah - i can't stand the idea of going just because it's cheap. that seems to be the only thing it has going for it right now. that, and the fact that i could skip class and go snowboarding during the week -

Mar 7, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

that last bit is nothing to sneeze at...this winter made my UNM stint worth it.

Mar 7, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
w3

your right - it's nothing to sneeze at. i think though that if i'm going to school so i can ride during the week...i might as well just work at starbucks for a couple of years. my undergrad experience was pretty bad - i did just fine - but the program was comparable to what I've seen at CU Denver. something dramatic would have to fall into place to cause me to choose that experience again.

Mar 7, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86

I just received my official acceptance letter (no financial aid info yet) from Georgia Tech in the mail, and now I have a dilemma. Because M.Arch1's start in the summer (May 14--that's so soon!), they have to have my response by March 19. I'm worried I won't hear from my other schools or receive financial aid offers from them until after March 19. In a perfect world I'd go to whatever top-choice school accepts me. But in the real world, I have no money and financial aid is hugely important to me. What do I dooooooo....

Mar 7, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

damn thats a tough one OD86. not sure what i would do. i guess wait until there is some money offered or not.

Mar 7, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

OutsideDream can you call GT and ask them what they advise, or ask for a notification extension until you hear back from your other schools?

I'm sure most schools understand that people apply to multiple places and need to consider every option. You should just talk to someone in admissions!

Mar 7, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Outside Dream: I had a similar problem last year. I was accepted to UMich (which also starts in the summer), but was put on the waiting list for UT-Austin (which was my 1st choice). UT didn't have an answer for me by Michigan's deadline so I sent in my deposit to a secure a spot there. A few weeks later I was accepted to UT so I took their offer and told UMich I wouldn't be attending after all.....I lost my deposit (I think about $200), but it was worth it.

Mar 8, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

Now if only I could find myself in the same predicament this year, but with Yale and Columbia......

Mar 8, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

People accepted to UCLA - did they tell you an official date/time for their open house?

Mar 8, 07 10:21 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i know you asked for "official", but i read somewhere on here (or another thread) that it might be 1-2 April

Mar 8, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

It's officially April 1-2

Mar 8, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Thanks!

Mar 8, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

LiG..
I saw your portfolio...I wouldn't worry. Your year off plan is strategically advantageous as well I bet. Plus you'll see more of NY that way...I hear my homies at Columbia (first year March1) are sleeping 12 hours aweek or so.

As for delays,...

I could go to Denver and , then try and pretend like a Post Prof @ an Ivey would rectify the situation, but I am much ballsier and almost feel the gambling is a part of it
If I work another year before reapplying, (given that my greatest fears come true, and I don;t get in to these damn superschools I applied to) I figure I'll be that much closer to IDP completion, maybe have more time to learn Maya or something...so there is no Wasted time per se...or IS there?

I guess we'll see how I feel in a couple weeks though. I might be sadder then...
( My schools, I now feel are all long shots for me: MIT GSD Columbia Princeton)
Then again... Who knows?, maybe rockin' the mediocre could be fun.
I could be the NURB Geek amidst all the bass-wood sanders.

Mar 8, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Bad timing on the UCLA open house - I'm gonna have to skip it. Sad.

Chase, how likely are you to go to UCLA? Have you visited yet?

Mar 8, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

222, i'm going to visit in a few weeks. i lived in LA for the summer a few years ago and checked it out back then. i'd love to go to UCLA - it's definitely one of my top choices. i'm going to defer any judgment about what i'm actually doing until i hear from my other schools.

Mar 8, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

I am surprised that more schools aren't notifying already...Are they trying to kill us here?

Did you get a fellowship Chase? A guy at my office got into UCLA with a full ride! Tempting, eh? I got a first year fellowship which is exciting too.

Mar 8, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

go michigan! anyone else in?

Mar 8, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
silken

I received an acceptance letter from the University of Virginia today and an e-mail from Cornell yesterday. It's going to be very difficult to decide..

Mar 8, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

M.Arch I, both for me and the guy in my office.

Mar 8, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

have you come to visit us here in ithaca yet silken?

Mar 8, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
silken

Nope, but I definitely plan to! The open house is dangerously close to the final deadline for decisions though.

Mar 8, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

well email me with any questions, ill be happy to answer what i can about the program... we are going to Nairobi tomorrow though so forgive me if it takes a while to respond

Mar 8, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

When is the open house scheduled? Are you getting advanced placement?

I'm starting to freak out in a big way here... Cornell is my top choice, and I haven't heard from them yet.

Mar 8, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats, by the way... But only if you didn't take my place. :)

Mar 8, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
appleCA

silken - you received a 'real' letter from UVA? not email?

Mar 8, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
silken

tzenyujuei , thanks very much, there's a lot I'm curious to find out about.

Living in Gin, no, I didn't apply for advanced placement. Best of luck to you!

Mar 8, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
silken

appleCA, it was by real mail.

Mar 8, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
appleCA

congrats!

thanks for the info

Mar 8, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

two two two.....what is your background in? what do you think got you in? Its impressive that you have heard to soon for UCLA...its one of my top choices and i am stressed....

I am also applying for march 1

Mar 8, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
twotwotwo

Hey, you emailed me! Ok, it's all coming together now.

I have a B.A. in Urban Studies ('04) and I've had two jobs since graduation. One at an online learning venture, and my current one at an arch firm in NYC. I did the JumpStart program at UCLA last summer and did pretty well, so maybe that was helpful. I don't know what else to tell you...

Sit tight, lots of time still for an acceptance! I dont think UCLA has notified most people yet.

Mar 8, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Thanks for the info...congrats

Mar 8, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
nomadic

b.f.d.- I'm in at Michigan...anyone going to the open house there since it's a bit earlier since most of the others?

Mar 8, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
ani

Has anyone tried calling yale or columbia? i contacted sciarc and they will be sending emails out by end of the month.

Mar 8, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
ani

and congrats nomadic!

Mar 8, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
ani

admitted applicants to the university of washington, did they say when the open house is? I still have not heard from them and I called but they said applications will be in process until april15th.

Mar 8, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I called Yale a few days ago to ask about my financial aid application, and they mentioned that they hadn't even begun looking at scholarship awards at that time. If that's the case, it might be a while before anybody hears from Yale.

Mar 8, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

>:(

Mar 8, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

ani - columbia said theyre mailing admissions decisions april 1... so still have a good 3 1/2 weeks or so till we find out!

Mar 8, 07 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Well.. all these schools that say they're mailing decision on April 1 MUST be contacting admitted students before then... I just can't see, for example, GSD only sending things out on April 1 when their open house is April 6. I didn't think Columbia's is too far off that mark.

I'm just assuming that everyone accepted (maybe not rejected) will hear by mid-March, because they have to know at least a couple weeks in advance to get time off work, make travel plans, etc.

Mar 8, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

april 1st sounds like a standard get you to stop calling them answer

Mar 8, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

namby, you've brought up a good point. I'm going to go try and track down when the open houses are for my schools, to get a better idea of when they'll send out decisions!

Mar 8, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

So ummmm if my last name starts with a "y" does that mean I'm going to have to wait till the last minute from ALL my schools?

I've had to live with being last on the roster my WHOLE LIFE...can't they do it in reverse once in a while? What an arbitrary system *pout*

Mar 8, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
everywhere

I never bothered to think about this, but how does a school handle the different tracks/options? Does a school try to fill their spots with MArchI applicants first, then looks at MArchII/III applicants to fill the holes, or do programs reserve a percentage of spaces for each track? Do MArchII/III applicants tend to hear later than MArchI and why (2nd round picks? priority?)?
Just curious how this breaks down and if it's pretty much the same for each school or every school is different.

Mar 8, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

nomadic

>i'm not sure, when is michigan's open house? that might be good because i'm torn between there and wash u.. i might pass it up since i live in la now and i've been to the school before- great place, lots of resource. have you decided, i forgot, did you apply to wash u, if so are you still considering it?

Mar 8, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: