Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet? (fall 2007)

wow

just got accepted to princeton by phone and email yesterday, haven't gotten the finanical package yet.
still waiting for GSD, and columbia...

Mar 14, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
marl

what about 4)It's the only school worth going to besides Columbia? Nobody said that? I think Columbia's respect factor is really weak this year. I remember reading a similar thread last year and everybody was obsessing over GSAPP. Now it's Yale obviously. Did I miss something?

Mar 14, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
para2

Chase Damntor

all of the above

Most students after they graduate from YSOA either work for Stern or get stuck working in Connecticut (usually at a place called HSNP...known by the locals as Yale's Second Dept of Campus Planning)

Mar 14, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
para2

And as for culture...Stern's way or the highway

Mar 14, 07 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

wow, WOW, congrats on getting into princeton. i thought they would have called everyone by now since they only have like 10 people to call. what is your experience? i'm curious to know what types of people they accept. you should post your porftolio for us :)

Mar 14, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Congrats on Princeton!

CCNY's facilities are very nice but the technology...not so much. But the building is gorgeous. In the city it has a great reputation. The faculty are shared with Cooper in a lot of cases. It has a lot of credibility.

Yale - they just have a great program in my opinion. I wasn't impressed by Princeton's...just for me. However, it is so exclusive (15 people?) that I think it is a great honor to get in.

Columbia, I hear, is just a glorified graphic design program.

I don't know. I hear good and bad about every place.

I saw on another site that Princeton, GSD, Yale & Cornell have already emailed their acceptances. Seems cruel to make the rejected people wait longer for letters by mail :(

I haven't gotten in any place besides NJIT yet. I'm scared.

Mar 14, 07 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

Buck

Whoever told you about Columbia is obviously disgruntled

Mar 14, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

No, I think it is pretty well known. Steven Holl and another faculty member agreeed. In fact, I was told that by a graduate who I had as a teacher. I also know a graphic designer who graduated from there and went straight to work for Koolhaas only to find that she was completely unprepared for a career in architecture and, subsequently, became a graphic designer.

So, it is not at all as if it is from one disgruntled person. In fact - they seem pretty happy about it.

Mar 14, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

It all depends on what program you're in
Nevertheless, it sounds like alot of hearsay

Mar 14, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

If the opions of graduates and faculty are hearsay - I guess

Mar 14, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

disgruntled grads...plus Holl is angry at the world...read some of his WTC memorial reactions after he wasn't selected for the project

Mar 14, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Well, the grads being disgruntled, which does not bode so well. And all of the same opinion about it being limited in such a specific way? Seems pretty uncanny.

Mar 14, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 

One of my former project managers is a Columbia grad, and he was great. It sounded like he did have to get a bit more into computer stuff than I would have preferred, but he was certainly not lacking in other areas.

Mar 14, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

My professors from there have been so great too- I'm just saying, it isn't the place for anyone with an interest in theory. Columbia sounds like the anti-Princeton from what I can gather.

Mar 14, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

there are always disgruntled grads from every school. Columbia is a well-rounded school within a great global city...

Mar 14, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Well, looks like I didn't get in anyway (I haven't heard anything), so I don't need to spend time arguing about its merits or flaws.

Mar 14, 07 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
silken

My impression of Columbia has been the same, Buckity. Although I was accepted to the M.Arch. 1 I think I'll be turning it down. Their idea of 'theory' isn't exactly rigorous, more like free reign to do something spectacular without regard for real world conditions... a lot of student work looks like it was a screen capture from a first person shooter or a sci-fi movie, and while that's one approach to architecture I'm not convinced its the right way to go about architectural education.

Mar 14, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

any thoughts on ucla? - first time post.

Mar 14, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
everywhere

Has anyone heard from:
University of Washington
Cal Poly Pomona
University of Oregon
For MArch III (Non Arch Bach)
The anticipation is killing me. Anybody know dates for replies? I heard someone mention UW above, but I think it sounded like it was an MArch I acceptance. Does it just take longer for them to get around to the MArch III people.
I'm 2 for 2 as far as those that have gotten back, IIT and NJIT. Right now I'm leaning towards NJIT as I dig it's push for using new technology as well as it's options for affordable urban housing. IIT is more expensive, and from what I've been reading on other threads, not all that great. I'd need to get some sweet Financial Aid from them for me to start considering it again. Would love to hear some opinions. UW is my top choice, went there for my undergrad, love the school, love the city, and the program seems solid and a good match for me. Plus I would love to eventually practice in the Northwest. Curious what people's opinions are between UW and UO, which is also on my list.
Cheers

Mar 15, 07 2:16 am  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB

i forgot to send in the labels with my address on it to columbia. should i send it in now just in case? will they not send me anything without them?? im worried!

Mar 15, 07 3:40 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

Clemson - don't worry about it. they photocopy it or something. It you received your secondary materials in the mail - you're fine.

I visited UCLA and thought the work was pretty, the campus was gorgeous, and I know that the old dean was credited with making it a top tier program. That dean is gone so no one knows what it will become. I think it is an interesting program. Sigh, another that it looks like I didn't get into.

I've been watching the action at thegradcafe.com and people have all been emailed of acceptances from my top schools.

Mar 15, 07 7:50 am  · 
 · 
n_

EVERYWHERE - uw has sent responses. my friend just got into their M Arch I

Mar 15, 07 8:00 am  · 
 · 
everywhere

Yeah, I know about M Arch I, I was wondering if anybody heard from UW and is going for M Arch III (non Arch Bach)

Or is it people's experience that they send them out at the same time

Mar 15, 07 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

You should just call them and ask when they are sending them out - believe me - there is a receptionist just waiting for your call.

Mar 15, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 
everywhere

Don't want to jinx it

Mar 15, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

awww

Mar 15, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
karchitect

everywhere..
I was accepted to UW - letter was postmarked the first week of March. Non-arch background. Usually we call that M Arch I...

Mar 15, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Dedalus

Buckity

GSD and Columbia don't send emails. If they sent you a package, there's a chance it was too big for your post box and returned to the post office HQ. Call them and inquire. Got my letter from Columbia yesterday and email from Yale the day before.

Mar 15, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

I called Columbia and GSD and they told me that they were still going out in batches for the next week or so.

You got accepted at Yale? You're my hero. Wish I could go. I also wish they would email rejections so I could have certainty.

I really wasn't this crazy until yesterday.

Mar 15, 07 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Dedalus

Thanks. Yeah, I'm a little dubious about Columbia and just applied because I hear so many people hyping it up. Got into their 3 yr. program. Leaning to Yale at the moment. I agree, wish they would send the reject emails out to quell the unease of these boards.

Mar 15, 07 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

OK, just got my second wish. Rejection email from Princeton.

Mar 15, 07 9:38 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

got the reject from Princeton

Mar 15, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

Would you have gone? I don't think I would have - though - I would have been happy to get accepted. Sorry. :(

Mar 15, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 

everywhere- if there's different professors reviewing it, then there might be different dates. I've heard from UW for the MFA program, but only to invite me to an interview- tomorrow! eek!!!- so they haven't passed any university-wide deadlines to be sure.

As for opinions, any of the other schools you listed are light years ahead of Cal Poly Pomona.

Mar 15, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 
colddark

GOT AN REJECTION EMAIL FROM PRINCETON.

WOW,.. MAY I ASK WHAT IS YOUR BACKGROUND ?

Mar 15, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
akilovesnana

hey buckity - i'm in the same position still waiting. and it sucks.

Mar 15, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Buckity

Good luck to you!

Mar 15, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
ani

silken, where else did you apply?
and have you heard from them?

Mar 15, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
shykee

Got an e-mail from Pratt today. Got in. Anyone else get an email or anything in the mail?

Mar 15, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i spoke with a good friend from undergrad earlier this evening...she's received acceptance from UTexas, UVA, Princeton and Yale...still waiting on MIT, Columbia, VPI and UFlorida.

Mar 15, 07 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
wow

froccli and colddarker...i m an undergrad from uc berkeley, worked in a small firm in san francisco for 2 yrs, attended DIS in 2003
still waiting for the other schools.....
cheers!!!!

Mar 16, 07 12:16 am  · 
 · 
binary

if you cant make 80-100g's a year when u get out of grad school..... dont go

Mar 16, 07 12:58 am  · 
 · 
Chairman-Mao

everywhere:

I heard from UW Seattle on Feb 22nd. Sorry you haven't hear from them.

Mar 16, 07 2:42 am  · 
 · 
sleek

I am joining now and checking out these obsessive thread that are quite exciting- congrats to all the acceptances-

wow: congrats on pton! freakin hard prog to get into. here is a question for you - if you are in for gsd and gsapp, are you going to go to princeton in the end? what is your top choice?

Mar 16, 07 5:09 am  · 
 · 
colddark

thanks 'WoW' for sharing your background.

the reason ask you is because i am assuming princeton most likely take those people who have archi background. I know friends who graduated from and studying there. They all have arch (undergrad background). For people who have less archi education (like me) the chance to get into it is less.

All the best for your study in princeton.

p.s.
it will be very kind of you if you can show your portfolio or even your experience of making your port.

Mar 16, 07 6:27 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

Everyone seems to be hearing acceptances/rejections - I haven't heard from anywhere besides NJIT and Princeton. Those programs are totally polar in terms of competition so it doesn't give me much of an idea where I stand.

They must go through these things in batches alphbetically? I mean, I could see my post office being slow but not my email. Parsons said they sent everything out last week - I'm right here in Brooklyn and haven't gotten anything.

The suspense is killing me. Obviously.

Mar 16, 07 7:42 am  · 
 · 
n_

I am obsessively checking this thread. I didn't even apply this year.

What's wrong with me? It's already giving me mad anxiety for next year.

Mar 16, 07 8:39 am  · 
 · 
colddark

cpnorris

I agree that both Yale and GSD are top school with load of resourse. But they are also those school which give less funding to student.

Mar 16, 07 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Buckity

cpnorris - I agree, and the employability of Yale grads is questionable. Yallies always have Stern or that place on campus. GSD grads will always have a spot waiting for them at SOM that first year out, if no where else.

It seems to me that if you aren't psychic and know that grad school's status three years in the future, you'd be just as well off going to a less prestegious program and proving yourself to be the best there.

In the end - I really don't think it matters as much where you go (as long as you're good). That said, WHERE ARE MY DECISIONS!?

Mar 16, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
everywhere

Ding - You heard back from UW, accepted or rejected?

I'm living in Japan, so my parents are my US address. But they're as stoked as me to find out about UW. It would be great to get in there, as then for me there's no question on where to go.

Otherwise it will probably come down to University of Oregon or NJIT, then I'm not too sure which way I'll end up going.

I'm guessing I'm in some limbo land wait list at UW, which I guess is better than a flat out rejection. When you guys heard from UW, was it phone call, mail, or email?

As for Cal Poly, Pomona, it was a far back up for me, but then the other day a friend of a friend who's practicing up in the Northwest said it was the best program on my list.... but I imagine that something had to have been misunderstood with the middle man.

I'm with buck right now, rejection letters would almost be better than this waiting. At least then I could truly focus on the school I did get in, and finally figure out where the hell I'll be living next year. Limbo sucks.

Mar 16, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: