Archinect
anchor

CD Swap!

vado retro

steven, one hundred of these posts are from me, asking where my cd is.

Aug 19, 06 11:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aww, my poor vado, not getting any CD's....Pixel, are you going to come through for vado at some point?!

Steven, I know you are easy going and will no doubt be positive about whatever I send you, but the challenge for me is to come up with something actively interesting for you, when I know your musical knowledge and library are quite extensive.

And I need to return the favor: you've exposed me to all kinds of interesting things, I mean, what could be more thrilling than being handcuffed to a fence in Mississippi?!

Aug 19, 06 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well i have not been in school in over a decade. and i don't listen to music in the office. but i'll think of something...

Aug 19, 06 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
aml

vado, as your next cd swap 'sender' i solemnly promise you WILL get a cd this time around- you may even get 2 [i can't make up my mind between doing a mellow mix or a wake up mix]

Aug 20, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

so far so fun. but quixotica may get some really cheesy stuff this time around. i mean - isn't that what you listen to while working during the late hours?

Aug 31, 06 11:41 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

haha bring it on steven. late night is definatly when you bring out the cheesy sing along stuff to keep you awake. That's why Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself For Loving You" might be making an appearance on my CD.

Aug 31, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well now that you put it that way, Steven, I guess I will include those three Def Leppard songs I downloaded six months ago!

Aug 31, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
James Meyer

any chance I can jump on this bandwagon, sounds like goodtimes? whats invovled in getting on the list

Aug 31, 06 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

ooh. I missed out on this CD swap. Then again, I don't suppose anyone would be interested in 101 strings play 'night in vienna' or this blonde vietnamese chick singing easy listening versions of 'I Left my Heart in Kingston Town' etc. Or music from ancient Greece the old-style way (and an allmighty racket it is too, even if it does happen to be Danny Libeskind's favourite album)

Aug 31, 06 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Are we to be informed via email? I do not seem to have gotten my trading partner! I don't wish to "fail to mail" and incur the wrath of the mighty vado, god of insufferable lack of CDness.

Sep 1, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

the new list was on page 6, crowbert. you're sending to 3dgraffiti i think. (you should check.) and receiving from gabe bergeron.

i had the pleasure of getting a disc from gabe last round and i think you'll be pleased.

Sep 1, 06 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

D-oh! Damn you "Go To Bottom" button!!!

Sep 1, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
aml

wake up cd swappers! i'm bumping this thread.

Sep 7, 06 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

When round 4 rolls around, I think you can count me in.

Sep 7, 06 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

somehow i've deleted most of the recent music from quixotica's mix and it's all skewed toward when i was in college. it's like i love the 80s' or something. sheesh.

i think i've got two discs again: one pm>am, the other am>pm.

Sep 8, 06 7:55 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven I'm so intimidated by this swap that I've been in denial about it. But I mulled it a bit while driving the convertible yesterday - fresh air and motion helps me think - and I think I have an idea now of how to approach it. Just remind me: I never copied you on PsyArch's disc to me, but I did on AP's disc to me, right? And did you copy Z from me while we were in Kentucky?

Sheesh two looming archinect deadlines: the swap and the manifesto, I ned to pull an all-nighter!

Sep 8, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 

quix- i sent you an email. i'm ready to unload these things. what's your address?

can i send copies of my cds to metamechanic instead of a manifesto? juries always reward those who break the rules. maybe i'll get the $100 that way.

Sep 12, 06 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
aml

vado retro, i sent you an email... i am determined to send you 2 cd's, no matter how intimidated i am by your ph.d. in musicology, but no address yet... maybe eaten by junk mail? let me know.

Sep 12, 06 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

i did not include the parisian sailor song by the singer from soft cell. just so you know. though i considered it.

also no average white band or 10cc.

boogie down productions and eric b & rakim did not make the cut.

fountains of wayne, freakwater, frank sinatra, and franz ferdinand - also not included.

paul thorn's 'burn down the trailer park' will have to wait for a future swap.

Sep 13, 06 8:01 am  · 
 · 

'schoolhouse rocky', the schoolhouse rock theme song by bob dorough & friends IS on one of the discs quixotica will receive.

Sep 13, 06 8:03 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

gues i'd better get started on this...

Sep 13, 06 8:51 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

drinkin some wine puttin the mix 2getha!!!

Sep 13, 06 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Steven, I responded, did you get it? if not, i'll try again.

Mine's goinmg out this weekend i swear!

Sep 14, 06 10:51 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Logged in again on my husband's mac. Damnation, how do I get my computer to let me log in?!?!

Anyway - Steven your cd will go out Monday, I'll finish it this weekend. Poor you, you didn't realize that bakc in the 80s while you were listening to eric b and rakim all I had on MY studio headphones was Neil Young and Zeppelin! In fact I used to put my cassette tape of Harvest on one side and After the Gold Rush on the other in my Walkman and let it auto play for about 12 hours....

Sep 15, 06 8:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

are u listinin to preludes version of after the gold rush???

Sep 15, 06 8:13 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

watch this and you'll not only feel like but will feel the necessity to get high

Sep 15, 06 8:17 am  · 
 · 

got it, quix.

lb - i also had my share of zeppelin in the 80s (although that was as much because it was in the air in studio instead of in my headphones. back then i still thought neil young was too whiny, though i was a fan of csny 'deja vu'.

whatever it is, it's a new mix! i'm for it!

Sep 15, 06 9:15 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

here's my mix!!! ten songs but they are all bootleg live versions so they are twice as long as normal lp versions.

workin for the weekend- cuz thats what everybody's doin afterall!
crazy train-cuz architecture school is like riding a train that is crazy!
stranglehold-cuz thats what design does to u!!!
welcome to the jungle- cuz thats what studio iz like!!!
wheel in the sky-cuz its an awesome songl!!!
locomotive breath-cuz studio cauzez u to eat bad food!!!!!!
gimme shelter-cuz iznt that what dezinerz r supposed to do
dazed and confused-cuz isnt that what studio duz to u
white room-cuz its a song about my favorite colored room
freebird-cuz everybody wants to be free. thats why we're in iran.

Sep 15, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 

i had to decided whether to put tori amos' cover of zeppelin's 'thank you' on quixotica's mix. i decided to use her cover of 'smells like teen spirit' instead.

Sep 15, 06 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

>decide<

Sep 15, 06 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

the cds for quixotica went in the mail yesterday. [let me know if you don't receive soon, q.]

just now realized that the tracklist on the cover may not match what's on the disc exactly. very sorry. chalk it up to deathly illness.

...but, in the end, you may not miss 'structuralist filmmaking' by laurie anderson. it was more for mood than anything. not sure what other differences happened.

Sep 16, 06 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
wilsonjd

FLM - Got the cd yesterday!

Sounds sweet. Some of my favorites (Dino Jr., the boss, Ween), but I had none of the songs. Never heard Apollo Sunshine or Elefant, both were good. The Of Montreal is hilarious. Also can't go wrong with Camper Van Beethoven. Muchas Gracias!

Liberty Bell - i finally got your cd's out today. Sorry for the delay. Should be there shortly and hope you like.

Sep 16, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well i took my mix for a ride cuz thats how i always decide if i like it or not. and i do although it aint really drivin music.

Sep 16, 06 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

glad you liked it, wilson.

I guess I'll be the first to post the tracklisting for this round then. I put some loud songs, and then some quieter ones, but all that I either do listen to regularly or are at least in the same mode as the types of music I listen to normally through the energetic ups and downs of late nights in studio...

1. since u been gone by ted leo
2. donald duck by brett rosenberg
3. the egg by apollo sunshine
4. love gets dangerous by billy bragg
5. i got you by split enz
6. sunlight makes me paranoid by elefant, which someone pointed out was pretty fitting after spending an entire beautiful day in studio last semester
7. paper tiger by beck
8. state trooper by bruce springsteen, for when at 2am public safety comes around to kick us all out of studio
9. you pretend to be the moon by future bible heroes, and for when after hiding out from public safety at 2am there are only a handful of us with all the lights out but our desk lamps
10. held by smog
11. rock and roll (part one) by gary glitter
12. tina by camper van beethoven
13. just like tom thumb’s blues by grateful dead
14. all tomorrow’s parties by lou reed
15. just like heaven by dinosaur jr
16. maybe tonight by corn mo
17. terrible vision by rhett miller
18. i love the unknown by clem snide
19. hold on by john lennon
20. monica by the kinks
21. my british tour diary by of montreal, which actually name drops Gary Glitter
22. i would die 4 u by prince
23. don’t get 2 close (2 my fantasy) by ween, that fantasy being to finish a project without having to pull an all nighter just before the crit. i have yet to get 2 close 2 that fantasy.

Sep 17, 06 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Can't wait, wilsonjd! Knowing you like Camper van and Ween I am sure I will enjoy the mix.

Steven, I'm burning My Bloody Valentine to my computer right now, in an effort to get your mix finished tonight.

vado, this one My Bloody Valentine I swear is the same intro as that Teagan and Sarah song you played for me!

Sep 17, 06 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
aml

[confused]

vado, i've emailed you twice. waiting for your address to burn and mail your cds. is your junk mail eating my emails?

...or is there a darker, more interesting explanation? do you have a secret phobia of receiving cds in the mail, and have been secretely unacknowledging all the previous cd swappers?

Sep 17, 06 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

FLM, it's on its way.

The anticipation is killin' me.

Sep 19, 06 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey i almost put that "of montreal" tune on my mix. gabe i still need your address.

Sep 19, 06 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

wilsonjd I LOVE the cd's you sent me!!!!! Thank you! There are seriously like four or five songs I totally love and have not had until you sent them to me! Naive Melody is one of the best-ever songs and I listened to it a LOT in grad school, and the Waterboys, and Bauhaus...thank you!!! This is actually the kind of music I *would* listen to while working!

Also, the packaging is very well-done. Thank you so much. You can post playlists now.

Steven, uummmmmmmm, yeah, (hangs head in shame), in the mail tomorrow, really.....

Sep 19, 06 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
wilsonjd

Glad you enjoyed the cd's liberty. I completely agree with you on Naive Melody. On of my favorites. Here's the list.

Caffeine . . .

1. starry eyed surprise - paul oakenfold
2. neighborhood #3 (power out) - arcade fire
3. time bomb - old 97's
4. the good life - weezer (if i had a dime for every time i heard this in studio . . .)
5. wolf like me - tv on the radio
6. new health rock - tv on the radio
7. police on my back - the clash
8. rebellion (lies) - arcade fire ("sleeping is giving in")
9. cavalry - the delays
10. sad sad city - ghostland observatory
11. show me - mint royale
12. storm coming - gnarls barkley
13. alex chilton - the replacements
14. anywhere's better than here - the replacements
15. future foe scenarios - silversun pickups
16. 3rd uncle - bauhaus
17. huddle formation - the go! team
18. snow is gone - josh ritter
19. this boy is exhausted - the wrens

Laid Back . . .

1. this must be the place (naive melody) - talking heads
2. on the radio - regina spektor
3. haiti - arcade fire
4. heartbeats - the knife
5. wanderlust - the delays
6. in my heart - moby
7. float on - modest mouse
8. ocean breathes salty - modest mouse
9. gravity rides everything - modest mouse
10. upon this tidaly wave of young blood - clap your hands and say yeah
11. heaven or las vegas - the cocteau twins
12. iceblink luck - the cocteau twins
13. summertime - the sundays
14. the whole of the mood - the waterboys
15. trapped - bruce springsteen
16. once around the block - badly drawn boy
17. me & jiggs - josh ritter
18. california stars - billy bragg & wilco

Sep 20, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

since it is september i must prop big star's "september gurlz" as the greatest song ever.

Sep 20, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Steven my CDs were phenominal! your linear note abou tthat royal city song is funny because I have a royal city song that i also have no idea where it came from but listen to all the time. Love the covers of everybody wants to be a cat and smells like teen spirit, and you've shown me what everyone sees in bahaus. Overall, a successful mix I'd say.

Aml i sent you an email to get your address, but i haven't heard back. there are starving kids in somalia who would kill for a cd swap, so don't take it for granted!

Sep 20, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 

cool! always glad to have a happy customer.

you almost got a lot more bauhaus/bauhaus legacy: tones on tail, david j, daniel ash, peter murphy - but i think you just ended up with a little bit of love & rockets after i edited the cds each from 212 minutes to 80.

i'll post the list this afternoon. (not on this computer.)

Sep 20, 06 9:07 am  · 
 · 

oh, wait, i did have it on my flash drive....

am>pm
1 slice of life, bauhaus. 1983. anything bauhaus or bauhaus legacy works for me.

2 everybody wants to be a cat, psapp. 2006. song from the aristocats.

3 the kkk took my baby away, marilyn manson. 2003. ramones classic, bizarrely mutated.

4 sunday morning, the bolshoi. 1986. a studio staple during my undergrad years.

5 (thou without) partner, palace. 1994. they seem like nonsense lyrics, but they stick with me in a strange way. one of will oldham^s many ^band^ incarnations.

6 the ghetto, donny hathaway. 1970.

7 smells like teen spirit, tori amos. 1992. ‘cause why not?

8 sometimes a blonde, robyn hitchcock. 2004. an unlikely collaboration with gillian welch and david rawlings with beautiful results.

9 lord, blow the moon out please, hem. 2003.

10 golden, my morning jacket. 2003. louisville^s own. from a fake live ep.

11 i turn my camera on, spoon. 2005.

12 sharp darts, the streets. 2002.

13 wait up, uncle tupelo. 1992.

14 humans from earth, t bone burnett. 1991.

15 i wanna be mama^d, jimmie logsdon. 1952. 50s rockabilly/honkytonker from louisville.

16 one more cup of coffee, satchel^s pawn shop. 1997. current louisville honkytonkers.

17 that^s the trick, folk implosion. 1997. early folk implosion, when they were still lofi.

18 schoolhouse rocky, bob dorough + friends. 1973.

19 the energy blues, biz markie. 1996. i^m old enough to be able to sing along to schoolhouse rock. fond memories of saturday mornings in the 70s.

20 black sweat, prince. 2006. work it.

21 musk is my hot hot sex, css. 2006. a new favorite: brazilian group with songs about sex, drinking, art, etc. i^m guessing the typo in the title is intentional?

22 ono soul, thurston moore. 1995. solo project from one of the sonic youth.

23 a magazine called sunset, wilco. 2002. bought my tickets for their 8 oct louisville show.

24 antimatter, the merediths. 2005. yep, another louisville band.

25 mahna mahna, cake. 2002. muppets & cake! we used to sing this to each other in studio.

pm>am
1 fake palindromes, andrew bird + the mysterious production of eggs. 2005.

2 bull in the heather, sonic youth. 1994.

3 gettochip malfunction, beck. 2005. 8-bit remix of ^hell yes^.

4 fight the power, the isley brothers. 1975.

5 erotic city, dump. 2001. from an album of prince covers from james mcnew of yo la tengo.

6 let me have it all, joe henry. 1997. classic sly stone song, covered by joe henry when he started to distance himself from his alt-country rep.

7 gotta get up every morning, junior brown. 1996. not as much of his guit-steel showboating here. just fun honkytonkin^.

8 got the time, joe jackson. 1979.

9 bank holiday, blur. 1994. damon albairn, not a gorilla[z] yet.

10 the sinking feeling, the the. 1983.

11 psychotherapy, the ramones. 1983.

12 physical (you^re so), adam + the ants. 1980. nine inch nails had nothing on the original version.

13 holy fool, love + rockets. 1998.

14 insinuation, folk implosion. 1997.

15 when the rain came, royal city. 2003? so indie, i don^t know where i got it, who they are, or where they^re from.

16 boys don^t cry, grant lee phillips. 2006. glp covers his favorites from the 80s.

17 we haven^t turned around, gomez. 2000. x-ray mix, from their great outtakes album.

18 structuralist filmmaking, laurie anderson. 1981. (not sure this made it.)

19 make it rain, tom waits. 2004.

20 winter in america, gil scott-heron. 1975. a powerful protest song that still seems on the mark.

21 none of us is free, solomon burke. 2002. from the joe henry-produced album for this soul master, with the blind boys of alabama on backing vocals. a song by the allstar team of barry mann, cynthia weil, and brenda russell.

22 the game, love + rockets. 1985.

cheers!

Sep 20, 06 9:16 am  · 
 · 
aml

quixotica, never got the email but i've just emailed you back with my address.

vado, still need your address. have you emailed? maybe my machine is eating all the archinect emails, i don't know...

Sep 20, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 
aml

maybe it's a plot. that's it. a secret plot so vado retro never gets cd's in the cd swap. or maybe it's more like a curse.

Sep 20, 06 10:26 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i was mia on the second and third, but can i get in on SwapIV??

Sep 20, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

aml i did email you my address a couple days ago. what is uP???

Sep 20, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

All right PsyArch, your mix went out this morning! Expect 6-10 days delivery. Sorry it is so late, but I am swamped right now... Great track lists everyone... This is fun.

Sep 20, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
domestic

Maybe this Royal City from Guelph Ontario?

"Like fellow Toronto native Neil Young, Royal City is in the business of desanitizing pop music by dirtying it up with generous helpings of folk and country. Their frayed acoustic balladry shares more than a little in common with the surreal, elliptical not-quite-folksongs of Young's great solo records (think After the Gold Rush), though most listeners will probably be reminded instead of more contemporary folk- and country-derived singer/songwriter fare like Palace and Songs: Ohia. As with all three of the aforementioned artists, a dark, pregnant melancholy pervades Royal City's songs; sometimes the music feels foreboding, sometimes just intensely private and personal." - Epitonic

Royal City at http://www.threegutrecords.com/rc.php

Sep 20, 06 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: