Archinect
anchor

CD Swap!

I'm kind of starting to feel a little left out here, I still haven't received anything from radar. Are you still alive? I'm leaving the country on Tuesday, so I guess I won't have a new mix, and I hope MightyLittle has received his mix fine. Let me know what's going on.

May 7, 06 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

yeah huanmic, i got it. see my post earlier.
great mix. good times.

close in line to my tastes as of late, but different enough to get me into some other stuff too...just what i was hoping for out of this.

i hope dusty likes zappa.

May 8, 06 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

listened to my mix on the way to cinci and gave it the thumbs up. goin out tomorrow to big sky country!!!

May 8, 06 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

wow, i think chairman mao is gonna get he only non mixed cd in the lot...only straight up stop and go. no time to be learning to mix...

anyway, mine will be out this week, i have not received any news from whoever was supposed to send me a cd.

May 8, 06 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

when is the next cd swap scheduled to begin???

May 8, 06 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

im up for it...count me in.

May 8, 06 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

no problem lletdownl, take all the time you need.

I lagged a bit on mine as well, also due to computer issues, though not problems. I was trying to make my workstation quieter (success, somewhat). it'll go out this week, I swear.

May 9, 06 1:26 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

Ok we still need to work out the kinks in the system but im thinking the next one will be about this time next month,

bigness and huanmic, if you havent heard from the person whos supposed to be sending to you, im sure they havent been in contact with their senders either, so once again, just eliminate the middle man,

huanmic that would mean Susan Surface would be sending to you now,
and Bigness, you should be getting one from superglue. try and get in touch with one another and make sure this works, i dont want anyone feeling left out.

Steven, your CD goes in the mail this week.

May 9, 06 9:27 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

bigness, is there some confusion here as to what "mix" means? By "mix CD" I mean a CD with songs by lots of different performers, not just one. I certainly know nothing about professionally "mixing" music, as manamana describes above.

May 9, 06 9:45 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

well, it took longer then I thought to get everything in order, but I dropped it in the mail this morning (sorry Susan, I thought I would have it out a week ago). the world will forever be changed by the conglomerate of musical satire I have joined in one 70+ minute compilation disc. it is an orgasmic treat to the ears.

May 9, 06 9:50 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This is a conversation between Steven and I but I'm posting it hear to bump CD Swap! up to the first page again.

Steven, I just noticed for the first time the brilliance of your transition from Track 10 to Track 11!!!! I love that you actually own Calypso is Like So - due to a funny article I read about 10 years ago that release has a mythical status in my mind. SO funny.

Also, I learned today about a notation system for dance movement called Laban Notation...we might be able to use it somehow with the kids. You can draw a floor plan of a dance!

AP, Steven gave me an extra copy of what he sent out, just so you're not confused as to why I got one from him.

May 10, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

ok, i was refering to the mixing of the tranitions between songs. cool.
superglue, drop me a line if you're in for the swap.

chairman mao. i hope you like rock. ain't getting no dance from me...

May 10, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I don't know if it was here or in another thread that we were discussing sufjan stevens...but his new album (the illinois outtakes) got leaked yesterday (arrrgghh matey!)

It's very good. acoustic chicago = awesome. probably pick this one up the day it's released.

May 10, 06 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh my god did I really write above "...I'm posting it hear..." instead of here?

Someone take me out back and shoot me. So sorry.

May 10, 06 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

i'm guessing that was the adam ant > robert mitchum transition. (don't have it in front of me.) TROUBLLLLLLE. glad you like.

are we supposed to post our track lists sometime? i don't want to be a spoiler...

May 10, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have received many invitations to consolidate my loans and get more credit cards...no cd however...:(

May 10, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

be patient, vado! pixel's got tricks up his sleeve!

May 10, 06 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

does pixelwhore look anything like this????

May 10, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

curiously enough...

May 10, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

wait, wait.... i am here. just trying to get things just right. it will be out before the may 15th deadline. last tuesday was just jumping the gun too much for me. sorry.

May 10, 06 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

but manamana, none of those softwares will fade a song into another, some of my songs have abrubt ends because they are part of DJ mixes and that sounds gay. Know of any?

May 10, 06 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

beary, i'll be sending mine out on saturday...studying for Pre-Design

May 10, 06 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

As a matter of fact:

Pixel does look..sorta....like.......OHMYGOD it's him it's him!!!! (Who is that artist's rendering mugshot guy again? My short term memory went to hell in high school.)

Good luck with Pre-Design betadinesutures!

May 10, 06 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its either tom selleck or the unabomber

May 10, 06 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Audacity can do it.

use project> import audio to import your two tracks.

use the time shift tool (hoiz. arrows) to line up the transition

use the envelope tool (vertical arrows) to adjust fades at the end of the first track and the begining of the second

while double checking this, I discovered that you can use audacity's lables to control track splits (this makes cdwave unnecessary):

grab the selection tool (I-beam symbol) and place the cursor where you want the track split. project> add label at playback selection. when you've got the transitions done, file>export multiple, with the options:

split files based on lables, include audio before first lable, and number consecutively.

May 10, 06 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

thanks Liberty, i am 2 for 2 so far, got CD and MM out of the way. that MM was a pain in the ass....

May 10, 06 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

still in for the swap & just got done with mine after a few hours
10 songs + bonus track & a cd cover

May 11, 06 12:34 am  · 
 · 
SpringFresh

yes- havent mixed my tracks together either - but given that betadinesutures is in for an eclectix mix that spans ethiopian 70's jazz to american indie, thats probably a good thing.

i stuck in the post yesterday, and i was assured it will arrive by the deadline.

May 11, 06 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

oh hell, it's time.

the life soundtrack of a ky archinector:

1 Sparta 2XX. The Fall. From The Real New Fall LP, 2004. Postpunk noise makers that never grew out of it – and I love ‘em for it.

2 End of Henley. The New Folk Implosion. From The New Folk Implosion CD, 2003. Lou Barlow seems to make a new band every time he has a falling out with the previous one. I get the sense that he’s a little bit touchy.

3 Homesick. The Finn Brothers. From Everyone Is Here, 2004. The genius brothers of Split Enz and Crowded House are getting older and more contemplative. In this one they contemplate parking lots, marketing run amok, and other symptoms of the changing landscape.

4 Silver Dew on the Bluegrass Tonight. George Jones. From George Jones Sings Bob Wills, 1962. The ‘Bluegrass’, as a cultural landscape, is on the most endangered list of the World Monuments Fund for 2006. Bob and George would know what a tragedy that is.

5 Walmart Took My Baby. Satchel’s Pawn Shop. From Satchel’s Pawn Shop, 2001. Louisville band (with two architects in their lineup) who regularly mix honky tonk, bourbon, strippers, and commentary on contemporary culture into their music.

6 Stumble and Pain. Joseph Arthur/City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. From Our Shadows Will Remain, 2004. Always moody and able to collect interesting sounds, Arthur now seems to have a better understanding of how to put a song together. Must be learning a little from his sponsor, Peter Gabriel.

7 Comfort Eagle. Cake. From Comfort Eagle, 2001. ‘We are building a religion…’

8 Heartbreakin Man. My Morning Jacket. From Tennessee Fire, 1999. The beautiful first cut from this Louisville band’s first album. For a while this song provided the coda to every live show around Louisville: the first notes of this came over the P.A. and you knew the band you were just watching wasn’t coming back.

9 Lot More. Portishead. From Sour Times (Nobody Loves Me) [orig. Dummy], 1994. Love Portishead. Love remixes of Portishead even more.

10 Car Trouble. Adam & the Ants. From Antics in the Forbidden Zone [orig. Dirk Wears White Sox], 1979/1990. Being a fan of Adam (an Antperson) was my own personal freak flag in high school. At the time he was considered derivative and manufactured. I listen now and am amazed at what an original sound he made.

11 What Is This Generation Coming To? Robert Mitchum. From Calypso Is Like So, 1957. Okay, IF you’ve heard actor Robert Mitchum sing, it was probably his ‘Ballad of Thunder Road’. But in 1957, he was trying to make calypso the new popular form.

12 Inspiration Information. Shuggie Otis. From Inspiration Information, 1974/2001. The son of Johnny Otis, this 19yr old was a studio crawler who played every instrument, making music that very few heard when it was first released in the 70s. Rereleased in 2001, it sounded fresh and relevant.

13 Lexington Jail. Tim Easton. From Break Your Mother’s Heart, 2003. Folk picker from Ohio that cycles through Kentucky every so often. I don’t know whether he actually spent time in a Lexington jail or not.

14 Riding on the Subway. Jesse Malin. From The Fine Art of Self Destruction, 2003. Cohort of Ryan Adams that somehow turns a nasally voice and Jersey Shore rock sounds into something I really like.

15 Wish Coin [Diplo Remix]. Beck. Remix of Go It Alone, From Guerolito, 2005. Love Beck. Love remixes of Beck. Can’t get enough of Beck so I hope they keep it coming – even if it’s recycled.

16 Richard Pryor Addresses a Tearful Nation. Joe Henry/Ornette Coleman. From Scar, 2001. Joe Henry has made a career of shifting gears. I first saw him when he was a country singer with the Jayhawks as his band. After a brush with funk and folk, he slid into a jazzy flavor of lounge music. Always excellent, no matter the genre. His discography would be fine for me in a desert island scenario. He enlisted free-form saxophonist Ornette Coleman for this one.

17 Don’t Mess With Mister T. Marvin Gaye. From Trouble Man [Soundtrack], 1972/1998. Curtis did it. Isaac did it. Marvin was having financial troubles, so he too ventured into soundtrack music for blaxploitation films. Of course he did it brilliantly.

18 Interlock. Stereolab. From Fab Four Suture, 2006. I know nothing about this band except that I like the sounds they make.

19 The Number. Pretty Girls Make Graves. From Elan Vital, 2006. This could have been made in the 80s. In fact, it could have been in the ‘Square Pegs’ soundtrack alongside the Waitresses. I’m glad it wasn’t.

20 Apostolic. Loose Fur. From Born Again In the USA, 2006. Wilco side project in which the guys allow themselves to stay messy.

21 This Rotten World. Eels. From Souljacker, 2002. Upbeat one about how the world beats you down.

what're we doin' next?

May 12, 06 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
Osl8ing

Hey all,

Sign me in for the next round of swap! I got some tasty morsels to add-in. I am curious, why do architects have such good taste in music? Is it that there is a higher level of comprehension for the intricacies of music and can't settle for pop?

May 13, 06 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Osl8ing

Hey all,

Sign me in for the next round of swap! I got some tasty morsels to add-in. I am curious, why do architects have such good taste in music? Is it that there is a higher level of comprehension for the intricacies of music and can't settle for pop?

May 13, 06 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Osl8ing

damn, look what I did, rookie.

May 13, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

In the mail this morning. Between the smooth drum & bass, dreamy ambient electronic, youthful angst, and catchy rap there ought to be something you like, lletdown.

This is a lot of fun. Is there a "topic" for the next round?

May 13, 06 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

maybe mine will be in the mailbox today!!!

May 13, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Talk about last minute, Steven, I dropped yours in the mailbox this morning. Sorry about the lateness, but it will be there soon.

So as soon as people get their cd's lets see those play lists!

as for the next one, once again i think we will take people who want to sign up untill the first of June, then ill post the list and we can get them to each other (or at least in the mail he he. . .oops) by the 15th.

any good suggestions for a theme?

also, anyone who didnt hear from their respective gifter, let me know so we can take their name off for the next time.

May 15, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 
AP

later this week...

May 15, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

No problem AP, I won't report you to the CD Swap police if I don't get it today!

Count me in for round 2, quixotica.

May 15, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey if u dont like the cd u get u can regift it...

May 15, 06 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

FLM - Your CD went out today. Talk about last minute. But hey, why should this deadline be different than any other!

May 15, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

+1 for 3d's comment ^^^

i treated this deadline like all of my professional obligations, starting it on sunday night after west wing for a monday deadline. gosh. you'd think i would've learned something along the way...

dusty, it's a wierd one. i warn you. a total snapshot into my daily jukebox.

some zappa, some french hiphop, some willie, you'll see.

i don't have the list in front of me...will post the official tracks later.

quix...thanks for coordinating. i'm in for round two.

May 15, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

count me in for round two...

May 15, 06 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Just to follow up on a previous discussion here, (and to further delay my work on these damnable punchlists) Ryan Adams' version of Wonderwall frankly requires of me a small but serious struggle to keep from weeping every time I hear it. Today my alphabetical playlist followed it up with Bruce Cockburn's acoustic version of "Wondering Where the Lions Are" and let me tell you it was absolutely perfect - so optimistic after Ryan's crying.

A new theme, a new theme.....my sister once made me a mix that was called "Men Suck and I Hate the World" - heavy on Chrissie Hynde, that one. But maybe not appropriate for Archinect.

What about a topical theme: in honor of the OMA/REX split, songs about splitting up/starting anew? Just tossing one out there.

May 15, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

or some emo oedipal musings to highlight the x-ing out of the m in rem (as someone pointed out on the oma-split thread).

May 15, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

....could include such a range of great nuggets: from 'wind beneath my wings' to 'bela lugosi's dead', from 'school's out' to 'solsbury hill'.

May 15, 06 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Any CD Swap that includes "Wind beneath my wings" is one from which I will immediately withdraw.

AP, take note please.

May 15, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Liberty, you don't like the beaches soundtrack? for shame.

May 15, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

speaking of bruce cockburn and 'men suck and i hate the world', i always liked 'if i had a rocket launcher'.

good thing you've mailed, quix > i'm so hungry for new music that i had to make a trip to ear x-tacy this week. i always get myself in trouble when i go there.

can't say that my purchases assuaged the hunger. two of the three were disappointments. i hate that.

May 15, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

wind beneath my wings is not a nugget. a lump maybe. but not a nugget...im beginning to think my cd will never come. i mean i sent mine out. two of them in fact.(hey stephanie!) but have received nothing. its sort of like that russian girl who i sent airfare to a while back. a no show...once bitten twice shy babe!!

May 15, 06 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

count me in for Round II

May 16, 06 12:57 am  · 
 · 
manamana

I put post-neo's in the mail a couple days ago. barely made it. I fsked up the case a bit though. electrical tape is sticky stuff.

I might have to sit out round II - I may or may not be involved with a new web project that will hopefully cut down on the "what computer should I buy?" threads.

May 16, 06 1:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: