Archinect
anchor

CD Swap!

mightylittle™

"I'd love to see what each person sez about the mix he/she gets !!.."

Except of course the person who gets mine.

Apr 19, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i'm sad that i have been too busy to read archinect as of late and missed out on this!

:( :( :(

may i please be in the nextest round?

Apr 19, 06 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

stephanie since u r so nice and have even sent me a postcard, i will send u a cd. just email the vitals...

Apr 19, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

MOST FAVORITE ARCHINECTOR.

Apr 19, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

can i send someone my compilation of Guantanmera??

Apr 20, 06 12:12 am  · 
 · 

i'm up to about 4 discs worth of songs now. i hate editing.

the advantage of this exercise, though, is that i now have a lot more of my cd collection ripped onto my laptop.

Apr 20, 06 7:32 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

that is a good point. these will be mp3's right, so no limit to the number of songs?

Apr 20, 06 7:39 am  · 
 · 
bigness

oh man, if it's gonna be mp3 poor Mao is gonna end up with 150 songs worth of math metal, rather than just 13 songs worth of math metal.

i'm going for normal cd, it's easier to listen to and decide what u like

Apr 20, 06 7:43 am  · 
 · 

not everyone has cd players that will play mp3s. (my car won't play 'em, for instance.) i was going to burn it as a conventional cd format which means that you max out at 70-75 minutes.

Apr 20, 06 7:43 am  · 
 · 
French

You guys should keep it on cd format. It's too easy to find mp3's nowadays. Having a decent cd collection is a proof of real musical knowledge and dedication.

Apr 20, 06 8:16 am  · 
 · 
manamana

french, I agree, except on the extreme end. I moved my whole collection to FLAC (mp3 sucks) on a 1TB raid 5 array. (which is now nearly out of space)

once you get past a couple thousand discs, it's alot easier to keep things organized when it's on a HD. I used to have stacks of cd cases all over the place because I only occasionally was organized enough to put things back on the shelf (and the shelves took up ALOT of space). Also prevents discs from getting lost/scratched/stolen (I have a couple dozen that are rare or considered collectors items)

Apr 20, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Oh man, does math metal include Binary Rock? Probably all played in a sequence of ones and zeroes using some such configuration of instruments as a tom tom and hi hat.

also, regular (non mp3) cd is definatly the way to go, or at least, the way I'm going. Anything more than that would just be torture to poor Ms. Liznieve

Apr 20, 06 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
archinaut

quixotica: where is K&A? should i make copies for your crack whore friends?

i completely agree about music cd format. i'd have a ton of trouble coming up with a data cd's worth of NuRockabilly, does that much of it even exist in the world? also, should we vow to make some excellent album art?

Apr 20, 06 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

I believe that album art and case is half of the experience of making these compilation cd's.
I plan on calling my mix "why the fork was left by the knife for the spoon" or possibly "underground acid hip rock according to George Merison"

Apr 20, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

North Philly, Kensington and Allegany. Generally known as the red light district (haha well generally known to everyone but me until i moved in). Naa dont make copies for them, cause then theyd just break into my huose to steal my stereo so they ould listen to it.

And i do solemly vow to make excellent cover art. or at least as excellent as you can get with an ultra wide tip sharpie.

man, this is bringing me back to the good old days of mixtapes for girlfriends. you know the mixtape that symbolized your undying love? The mixtape that was like as close to an engagement ring as an 8th grader could afford? At some point on there it had to have at least one boys II men song.

Apr 20, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
archinaut

just to make you jealous, i've been told by my neighbors that boys II men used to live in my house. which obviously means that the mix that's coming your way will have at least one boys II men song - motown philly anyone?

It's long overdue and now, Philly is slammin'
(Everybody it's) Boyz II Men, ABC, BBD
The eastcoast family
Never skipped a beat, while coolin' on South Street
Jet black Benz, plenty of friends
(And all the Philly steaks you can eat)

Apr 20, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

mmmdada
mmmdada
dadadada
da
da da da da

(that was the break down)

Apr 20, 06 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
mwolmosp

"i have a job" - that's what i'm talking about....good grief!

Apr 21, 06 12:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

strawbeary, how do you want me to send the disc?

Apr 21, 06 8:37 am  · 
 · 
ScottMSchultz

ill do it too, sounds like fun

Apr 21, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Mine is done, I listened to it about 20 times yesterday (while model-building) to make sure the song order was working and I have to say, it's pretty good! Of course how could it not be it's all my current favorite songs.

FOGlite, I'll get it in the mail soon. Probably Monday.

AP, I'm emailing you today with my address. Can't wait.

Apr 21, 06 10:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have narrowed down the opening track to two songs...im making progress...

Apr 22, 06 10:02 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Got Huanmic's mix in the mail yesterday. Damn, he's on top of that sh1t!

Definitely awesome exercise. It's great sudenly having someone else's 73min fantasy. Now if I can only trim my list down, I might get it out there...

Thanks quix for starting this one up.

Apr 23, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

beta, I e-mailed you my address. Happy burning!

lletdown, I e-mailed you to get your address.

Apr 23, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

lb, if you sent me an email, I didn't get it...

I haven't made the CD yet, still compiling...have more or less narrowed down half of the cd, the intro track, but not much else...

I may take most of the allotted time...

8-6 primary job, freelance design / drafitng work for landlord, and participation in local design competition with girlfriend cited as excuses 1-3 for not finishing CD early... :)

Apr 23, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i got it and responded strawbeary... i see you found out what i like from myspace? and so your gonna mix me up? sounds awesome im looking forward to it...

manamana... be ready for a pleasure cruise of sweet sweet grooves

Apr 23, 06 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

finished! i'll listen to it a couple of times before i send it, of course.

Apr 23, 06 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have no songs featuring the cowbell as of yet...but there are banjos..

just not hee haw banjos

Apr 23, 06 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've been listening to mine (for FOGlight) in the car and my car CD player keeps stopping and saying "err" on the screen - I'm gonna remake it on a different brand of cd, not sure if my car is the problem or my burn. It's frustrating.

AP I will email you right..........now!

Apr 23, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have decided to use a different opening track...

Apr 23, 06 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

got it...cool...

Apr 23, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

manamana, i need your address so i can send you this cd i made... track selection was really hard, and i have chosen wisely to offer the comodity, firmness and utility we all desire in a mix.

its rockin

listened to it a few times through in studio, order seems good...

Apr 24, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

sorry, don't usually check that email on weekends.

Replied

Crud. Post-neowhatever wants a case. What the heck am I gonna make a case out of? crap.

I'm still picking tracks.

Apr 24, 06 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i wanna see what some people have picked for the opening track... ive picked emily kane-art brut

Apr 24, 06 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

excellent choice lletdownl

Apr 24, 06 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

a mix cd that i just made for my sister-in-law had sufjan stevens' "the man of metropolis steals our hearts" as the first song and woody guthrie's "car song" as the closing number... i'm looking forward to the second round so that i can make a new mix for some lucky archinector...

Apr 24, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

sparta 2xx - the fall

Apr 24, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

first track, at the moment, I've gone vocals only:

Beach Boys, The - The Pet Sounds Sessions (cd3) - 06 - Sloop John B (Stack-O-Vocals).wav

Apr 24, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm almost finished!!!

Apr 25, 06 5:37 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm almost finished!!!

Apr 25, 06 5:38 am  · 
 · 

I haven't started Vado's yet, work has (oddly enough) been keeping me busy as I do all the prep work for the school's final presentations this weekend...

Apr 25, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Sly and the Family Stone

Apr 25, 06 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

okay pixel i worked saturday, sunday, part of yesterday with half a sick day and went in at six thirty this morning and still have had time to put the finishing touches on my compact disc. and still had time to have a great coffee break with ms. liberty. you must ask yourself pixel, look in the mirror there, and ask yourself? do i have what it takes to be a cd swapper???

will get it in the mail after my ten hours of driving to the jobsite and back tomorrow. but, being dedicated i will get started on cd swap two. what was the theme again???

Apr 25, 06 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

"songs for per"

mine's going to be an 80 minute loop of the cat abuse sounds from monty python and the holy grail.

Apr 25, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey baby you're a subliminal trip to nowhere. you better get your trip together before you step in here with us.....

Apr 25, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

ouch...

Apr 25, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my mix is done!!!! now if i only had a blank cd for the burn!!!

Apr 25, 06 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well all righty then! I'm headed to the post office right now, CD envelope in hand. I won't tell you what's on it, until after FOGlite gets it, but I'll show you the image I put on the cover:

The fog lights on the car I drive, Scion XB.

Apr 26, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

almost finished with the greatest compilation to ever grace the ears of any fancy music lover. started out with a the little flaming lips and just went nutty. I believe susan surface will be happily pleased. might even be a little big daddy cane in there for you. you should receive it sometime next week.

i love this game

Apr 26, 06 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I'm finished with PNRC's as well. I'll email you for your address.

certainly not my best mix. The first three transitions are a tad weak - I kept my editing restricted to cuts and crossfades (well, and a little compression/levels on one live track just so it matches reasonably - once again I'm amazed at how crappy the mastering is on just about everything released in the last 10 years). Pitch matching and tempo adjustments just take too much time. But there are a few cool segues I haven't thought of before.

I also had to drop "pickin' on Modest Mouse - a bluegrass tribute - Trailer Trash" due to a time limit (it was 40 seconds over). it's too bad - that was going to be my "grooooaaaaaaan..(long pause)...wait, this is actually kinda cool" track.

oh well. now I just need to make a case.

Apr 26, 06 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: